Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #331
gumbi_18

Default Re: HSV GTS LSA lettuce tomato & special sauce on a sesame seed bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I think we are in for an uncomfortable wait til we see IF Ford respond with the next Falcon. I highly doubt it when you consider anything performance from Ford (excluding FPV/Prodrive) in the past 30 years.
Ford are responding with an updated Falcon next year and by extension so are FPV. I agree on the uncomfortable wait though - the tech on offer is very tempting. I just hope that Ford gets to rummage through the US parts bin and fit every bell and whistle possible in response.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #332
Chopped
as in chopped

And in thirty years time we will (hopefully) see these cars (GT/GTS) on display at muscle/vintage car shows and think "WOW what an era...I miss it"

Then drive home in our plastic electric cars
Old 16-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #333
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
And in thirty years time we will (hopefully) see these cars (GT/GTS) on display at muscle/vintage car shows and think "WOW what an era...I miss it"

Thats pretty normal, grass is always greener. I wish I grew up in the 70's!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #334
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Sure it looks good until you get to the rear end lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 16-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #335
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
FPV can add as much power and as many intercoolers as they want, but if they want to compete with HSV where it matters (value for money, gadgets and gimmickry) it's going to take a lot of investment dollars to do so. .
Don't forget - all this gadgetry and Power only comes with the GTS.......
Unsure if any of the tech gizmos will appear in R8 ??

So when it comes down to GT v R8 - let's not forget that GT is still > R8.
Realistically - there is no competitor in the AU FORD stable for the GTS in its current form or price range.

I think what we're all pining for is for FORD to finally release the TWIN TURBO V12 - with helicopter blades and 16 piston BREMBOS with 26 inch wide rears and a Canon Turret with ICBM's to shoot down HSV's on the run. ....

THE ENDGAME.......... GTHO............
Old 16-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #336
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Or more likely, your local bogan will have one with several pieces of trim missing, odd wheels and a coat hanger in the aerial....
Old 16-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #337
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Don't forget - all this gadgetry and Power only comes with the GTS.......
Unsure if any of the tech gizmos will appear in R8 ??

So when it comes down to GT v R8 - let's not forget that GT is still > R8.
Realistically - there is no competitor in the AU FORD stable for the GTS in its current form or price range.

I think what we're all pining for is for FORD to finally release the TWIN TURBO V12 - with helicopter blades and 16 piston BREMBOS with 26 inch wide rears and a Canon Turret with ICBM's to shoot down HSV's on the run. ....

THE ENDGAME.......... GTHO............
Ahh, I forget about the price differentiation haha. Against the R8, a new Falcon with a nice new interior, and some exterior updates would be a more-than formidable foe. An optional extra 'track pack' would be nice, too.

Maybe it'd be easier if we all switch camps and quit our whinging

On another note, involving super-sedans, does anyone think the new CLA45 AMG will steal some Aussie-car buyers?

EDIT; Screw it. Release the MMS black concept car, with the option of 335kw turbo 6, or 351kw Miami. Big brakes. Diff and Trans. coolers, and high-grade materials in an otherwise basic interior. I prefer high-grade quality over cheap and trinket-filled. And call it a day.

A new market-niche. Muscle cars for men!

Last edited by Motorbreath310; 16-05-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #338
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Or more likely, your local bogan will have one with several pieces of trim missing, odd wheels and a coat hanger in the aerial....
Lol, slightly off topic but what will bogans drive/wreck when Falcons and Commodores are gone ?!!
Old 16-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #339
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Lol, slightly off topic but what will bogans drive/wreck when Falcons and Commodores are gone ?!!
I thought they already buy Cruzes?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #340
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Ahh, I forget about the price differentiation haha.
Does it really matter?

Our best effort is the GT, Theirs is a GTS.

Do you think the price tag will be considered moments before both launch into a 1/4 mile of fury...
Old 16-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #341
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Do you think the price tag will be considered moments before both launch into a 1/4 mile of fury...
No but I bet it will be raised when someone loses (especially if it is the GT)!!
Old 16-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #342
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I thought they already buy Cruzes?
Indeed, the amount of Cruzes I see with Chev badges these days is getting frightening.
Old 16-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #343
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s amazing how think some people are when it comes to the opposition, why can’t people just judge the product for what it is rather than the badge its wearing???

People keep talking about the power output of the engine yet forget every other component of the overall car package … wake up, the days of sticking a big engine into a basic car chassis are gone, these days it’s all about the overall package and not just one specific part.

This GTS is a stunning piece of Australian engineering, FFS I was not even born in this country and yet I’m proud of this car … so what about the rest of you …

• Electronic Suspension (MRC) – as used by Ferrari
• Torque Vectoring – as used by latest German cars
• Massive 6 piston floating brakes – as used in supercars
• A Total of 9 coolers (engine, gearbox, diffs, ets) – for ultimate track cooling and performance
• EDI
• Aluminium panels and 20 inch forged wheels

These are just some of the things that differentiate the GTS from a basic large engine upgrade and the usual bogan stripe package …
Old 16-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #344
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Does it really matter?

Our best effort is the GT, Theirs is a GTS.

The price difference matters when you consider one has everything the GTS does, and the GT doesn't. As for 1/4 mile times, LSA and lightweight panels, or not, the difference in a straight line will likely be only a couple of tenths. If that. In the world we live in it will anyway. In whatever realm the editors of WHEELs and MOTOR occupy, it'll be nearly a second quicker.
Old 16-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #345
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
wake up, the days of sticking a big engine into a basic car chassis are gone, these days it’s all about the overall package and not just one specific part
What are you talking about? Not everyone needs parking assist and lane guidance, most of us are capable of parking a car quite easily and I'm quite qualified to look over my shoulder, indicate and change lanes in a safe matter. I dont need a computer to show me a graphical representation of how far my suspension travels over a bump or how many g-forces I'm experiencing on a corner, nor do I need a forged rim. 90% of people will lower the car and change rim style to make it their own car, not to mention holden bogans will have the rear end so low it will represent a car towing an invisible caravan. And who needs big floating brakes when a set of fully sick 15" stockies wont clear them.

Give me a $50k car with a blown 5.0 and a tune and thats all that matters to me. Im a rev head, as most here probably are. And rain sensing wipers and a HUD aint gonna change that. What good are those gadgets when a car half the price smokes it?

All of these gadgets are just making people slack, it's not hard to park a car or change lanes.

Yes, if FPV added in these features I would welcome it, but either way I'm not bothered. Everytime I look at the GTS I cant help but laugh. The name holden or hsv is synonymous with a bucket of **** modified with poor taste, driven by an arrogant bogan with a **** attitude.

it really sucks that Ford fans will change camp and bag out their own brand over a couple of silly gadgets that will eventually make their way to Ford. What happened to brand loyalty and sticking with the brand through thick and thin?

When the 5.0s/c came out ans none of these fancy gadgets were included in either fpv or hsv lineups, it went seemingly unnoticed compared to the coverage of the VF. But stick an oversized boat anchor with a huffer on it in a butt ugly hsv with a couple novel features and it's the be all and end all.

And finally, whats with everyone comparing the R-spec to the GTS? The FG is how old now? Not to mention the GT is in a different price bracket.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #346
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
How does the GTS look over done?
Very simple and very clean. Just like the M5 and E63.

Also it has a gearbox and diff that can stand up to its power and no doubt abuse.
I have to agree, I'm as big a ford fan as any. But I like what they have done with the GTS, pricey but looks to be very capable on paper.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #347
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The die hard FPV fans denying that the GTS is a superior overall package to all of FPV's offerings remind of this guy and his spin doctors.

In terms of price points, when I looked into buying an Rspec with sat nav and big brakes I was quoted north of $90k by more than one dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg un.jpg (56.5 KB, 89 views)
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #348
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And in America for under $40kus is this TR6060-M10 six-speed manual transmission with a close-ratio TR6060-MM6 six-speed stick and a higher final-drive ratio of 3.91:1. The transmission also gets a cooling system, like on the ZL1. The V-8's output is unchanged from that of manual SS models, at 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque. Suspension modifications include a larger, 27-mm front anti-roll bar, a 28-mm rear anti-roll bar, ZL1 toe links, ZL1 rear shock mounts, a strut-tower brace. Beefier half-shafts are supposed to help cope with the improved traction, wheel bearings come from the ZL1, and the fuel system has been upgraded with the ZL1’s high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups to avoid high-g fuel starvation. The 20x10 front and 20x11 rear wheels are inspired by the ZL1’s rims and are shod with 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires at all four corners, the same ones that come on the ZL1’s front wheels.

The only important items not carried over from the 1LE concept are the ZL1’s magnetorheological dampers. Instead, the production 1LE gets specifically tuned monotube dampers in place of the Camaro SS’s standard twin-tube units. We suspect price was an issue there, and that Chevy has decided to preserve some of the ZL1 suspension’s specialness by not offering it on lesser Camaros.

You’ll know it’s a 1LE car because of the matte-black hood, as well as a front splitter and rear spoiler that are claimed to reduce lift at high speed. The car’s interior features a flat-bottom steering wheel and the short-throw shifter out of a ZL1.

A Camaro SS coupe with the 1LE package and required manual transmission is promised to come in at under $40,000— for those keeping score, that’s right around the Mustang Boss 302’s pre-destination sticker price and within $8K of a base Camaro SS. Chevy plans to get the 1LE package approved for SCCA Touring Class competition. And the car is supposed to do a sub-three-minute lap of Virginia International Raceway, a track with which we’re very familiar. We like where this is going.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...amaro-1le-news
Old 16-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #349
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
it really sucks that Ford fans will change camp and bag out their own brand over a couple of silly gadgets that will eventually make their way to Ford. What happened to brand loyalty and sticking with the brand through thick and thin?

Nah.......

Its more than silly gadgets in the GTS - they've gone to a lot of trouble to make the driveline / chassis capable of repeatedly dealing with the extra power. Cooling for trans / diff etc / MRC ..... You can tune an FG 5.0 S/C to within an inch of its life - but in engineering terms - it would fail - it's still suffering from the alleged firewall strength issues - hence no Intercooler yet to up the ante.....

To release a car from factory capable of the factory power the GTS has is quite an achievement. The Gizmos are just the icing - they are not the main reason to buy one. What amuses me is how we bag out the gizmos when HSV release them - but when FORD release them - we then argue why every model doesnt have them as standard......

I don't think any of us is jumping camp.........even if we wanted to - there's no way many could afford the 110K price tag on the GTS.
In my eyes - the Supercharged GT is still king of the road..its the car that most are likely to see - along with the R8........NOT THE GTS.

The GTS is just HSV's way of saying that my >?* is bigger than yours - in terms of publicity - yes - they will be John Holmes for a little while. In terms of what's out there on the street in the cred dept.........GT > R8.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #350
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
What are you talking about? Not everyone needs parking assist and lane guidance, most of us are capable of parking a car quite easily and I'm quite qualified to look over my shoulder, indicate and change lanes in a safe matter. I dont need a computer to show me a graphical representation of how far my suspension travels over a bump or how many g-forces I'm experiencing on a corner, nor do I need a forged rim. 90% of people will lower the car and change rim style to make it their own car, not to mention holden bogans will have the rear end so low it will represent a car towing an invisible caravan. And who needs big floating brakes when a set of fully sick 15" stockies wont clear them.

Give me a $50k car with a blown 5.0 and a tune and thats all that matters to me. Im a rev head, as most here probably are. And rain sensing wipers and a HUD aint gonna change that. What good are those gadgets when a car half the price smokes it?

All of these gadgets are just making people slack, it's not hard to park a car or change lanes.

Yes, if FPV added in these features I would welcome it, but either way I'm not bothered. Everytime I look at the GTS I cant help but laugh. The name holden or hsv is synonymous with a bucket of **** modified with poor taste, driven by an arrogant bogan with a **** attitude.

When the 5.0s/c came out ans none of these fancy gadgets were included in either fpv or hsv lineups, it went seemingly unnoticed compared to the coverage of the VF. But stick an oversized boat anchor with a huffer on it in a butt ugly hsv with a couple novel features and it's the be all and end all.

And finally, whats with everyone comparing the R-spec to the GTS? The FG is how old now? Not to mention the GT is in a different price bracket.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #351
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll give HSV credit for raiding the GM parts bin and making a 4 door ZL1, but personally the styling (especially the rear) is not my cup of tea.
I'm sure it will be a weapon and the people who own them will love them and in the end that's all that matters.
Old 16-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #352
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
It’s amazing how think some people are when it comes to the opposition, why can’t people just judge the product for what it is rather than the badge its wearing???

People keep talking about the power output of the engine yet forget every other component of the overall car package … wake up, the days of sticking a big engine into a basic car chassis are gone, these days it’s all about the overall package and not just one specific part.

This GTS is a stunning piece of Australian engineering, FFS I was not even born in this country and yet I’m proud of this car … so what about the rest of you …

• A Total of 9 coolers (engine, gearbox, diffs, ets) – for ultimate track cooling and performance
• EDI

These are just some of the things that differentiate the GTS from a basic large engine upgrade and the usual bogan stripe package …
Exactly, and that's before we start talking about the Bose stereo system, the newly designed super supportive looking seats, blind spot, self parking, lane departure warning e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c.
Old 16-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #353
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I wonder how W427 owners are now feeling about the "investment value" of their car, remember how hard HSV pushed the investment / collectability side of things in their marketing ?
I would stay they will still be happy with the best sedan ever produced in Australia. Probably still the fastest too over a 25 lap stint at any given track.
Old 16-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #354
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

For me, Clubsport R8 looks to have an impressively comprehensive list of appointments,
something FPV will struggle to match S/C 5.0 or not.
Old 16-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #355
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I would stay they will still be happy with the best sedan ever produced in Australia. Probably still the fastest too over a 25 lap stint at any given track.
Doubt it, this SC one seems to have plenty of cooling kit and besides that I think most people are more interested in how they perform on normal roads.
W427 is so old already. Here's one you might be able to buy for $75,000 if you haggle hard, what a magnificent "investment" that's been for the owner who paid $150,000 and has hardly driven it much.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default

Last edited by Rodge; 16-05-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #356
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

• EDI

Well said mate!

I guess you have blind rednecks on both sides of the fence who just have their head too far up their a$$ and are too ignorant to see otherwise.

Quote:
Exactly, and that's before we start talking about the Bose stereo system, the newly designed super supportive looking seats, blind spot, self parking, lane departure warning e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c.
+100

Whats that saying? "You can lead a horse to water, but.........."

Last edited by XtRmn8; 16-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #357
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Doubt it, this SC one seems to have plenty of cooling kit and besides that I think most people are more interested in how they perform on normal roads.
W427 is so old already. Here's one you might be able to buy for $75,000 if you haggle hard, what a magnificent "investment" that's been for the owner who paid $150,000 and has hardly driven it much.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...5&sort=default
Who says they paid 150k. And how much have you lost on your garden variety FPV purchases in that same period of time...? I still say a W427 would whop the pants off any current FPV in a 25 lap stint at full tilt, this new and coming HSV might better it, it might not... The W427 not only had track ready everything but was also quite light in comparison to anything FPV have done, or anything else HSV have done. It is still the best sedan ever made in Australia by a country mile. And a dry sumped naturally aspirated 427 in a 1500kg car is just absolute revhead pawn by any stretch of the imagination, it gives me a woody just saying dry sumped naturally aspirated 427 :-)
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #358
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

For those who need to see them side / by / side
(until a magazine actually tests them)
Old 16-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #359
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
Well said mate!

I guess you have blind rednecks on both sides of the fence who just have their head too far up their a$$ and are too ignorant to see otherwise.
No. You have some out there that have an opinion that differs and don't you or anyone else dare tell anyone else that they MUST like it.

Most are discussing looks FFS, no one has driven it yet!!!! Let people have an opinion as looks are objective for whatever reason!!!

People can love it or hate it (both HSV or FPV's) so, do not dictate what people are allowed to like or dislike. That is way too ignorant in itself

Now move on and let people decide for them selves.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #360
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I can't help but notice that the styling cues have been a combination of the big 3 from Europe: Audi S5, BMW M3, Merc C63.