Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
WHYME
Next up?

Default FPV GTF Prices

Hello everyone, I just wanted to start this thread off by asking do you think GTF prices will ever drop in the foreseeable future? Like let's say a GTF that's been driven everyday and has a fair amount of KM's on it - will we see price drops? Or do you think they will always stay above the 100k price point. Will the GTF become rare? Or will it end up being like the BF GT special editions that never really took off in pricing.

Also, would or have any of you payed over 100k for a GTF?

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: FPV GTF Prices

The GTF can't become rare - it already is rare being a limited number of 500 in Oz, 50 in NZ, so it can only become rarer by attrition.

Prices of new/near new are likely to stay up around $100k, at least for the foreseeable future, and in 2 or 3 years time, once any that are leased come off lease, you may find a few with 60,000km for sale, but I reckon they wold be snapped up pretty quickly, since by then the falcon will have stopped production. I don't think the FGX XR8 will have any impact on GTF prices, since they are different cars, despite nearly shared mechanicals.

The GTF was $77990 RRP plus on roads, so around $85k in most states. Most GTF buyers paid around that, with a few of the later ones going for $100k+.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The GTF can't become rare - it already is rare being a limited number of 500 in Oz, 50 in NZ, so it can only become rarer by attrition.

Prices of new/near new are likely to stay up around $100k, at least for the foreseeable future, and in 2 or 3 years time, once any that are leased come off lease, you may find a few with 60,000km for sale, but I reckon they wold be snapped up pretty quickly, since by then the falcon will have stopped production. I don't think the FGX XR8 will have any impact on GTF prices, since they are different cars, despite nearly shared mechanicals.

The GTF was $77990 RRP plus on roads, so around $85k in most states. Most GTF buyers paid around that, with a few of the later ones going for $100k+.
Yes sorry I should have worded that better, they are rare having a limited build number and all but at the time so did the BF Cobra (400 built) hell even the F6 Typhoon RSpecs (only 300 built). Sure they are rare with their limited build run and all but they never really went up in value, and as time went on their prices kept dropping. Do you think it will be the same case with the GTF? We saw 40th Anniversary and BF Cobra's being posted on the net for an insane amount of cash, nowadays you can find low km ones for 40k - when all the hype came to a close and people realised they aren't going to be the next phase 3 of the modern genre.

Do you think once all the hype wears off, and the talking point goes away for the GTF the same people posting them on the net for 100k will come to their senses, realise not many are going to pay that much and lower the prices for them?

Old 16-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

All depends on what will replace it.
GTF being the last ever made Aussie GT ( falcon ) will always be a sentimental favourite so it will be a very long time before it diminishes as a collectable.

Cobra and GT 40th were a bit different because the hype was sustained briefly until the next model GT release. In the case of the GTF , it will depend on the uptake of the Mustang and how it compares for some buyers as a "replacement"
There is a lot to consider with many options for mustang coming our way, so it will eventually sway most.

Judging by the qty of FPV cars in general on carsales etc , there is a downward trend in the number available as time goes by , so the prices for some of these cars will stabilise over time as there are less examples to negotiate on price on.

Just replaced the batteries in my crystal ball - so I reckon......

GTF - mid to high 70k over next 5 years
FG Boss 335 - mid to high 30's over next 5 years
FG 5.4 - low to mid 20's over next 5 years
BF - mid to high teens over next 5 years
BA - we may see bad examples below 10k over next 5 years.

BF Cobras and GT 40th - anywhere from mid 20's to mid 30k for the nostalgia tragics.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
All depends on what will replace it.
GTF being the last ever made Aussie GT ( falcon ) will always be a sentimental favourite so it will be a very long time before it diminishes as a collectable.

Cobra and GT 40th were a bit different because the hype was sustained briefly until the next model GT release. In the case of the GTF , it will depend on the uptake of the Mustang and how it compares for some buyers as a "replacement"
There is a lot to consider with many options for mustang coming our way, so it will eventually sway most.

Judging by the qty of FPV cars in general on carsales etc , there is a downward trend in the number available as time goes by , so the prices for some of these cars will stabilise over time as there are less examples to negotiate on price on.

BF Cobras and GT 40th - anywhere from mid 20's to mid 30k for the nostalgia tragics.
I hope you're right. I'd LOVE to jump into a 335 GT for the mid to high 30's price tag and see what all the fuss is about - hehe.

Old 16-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
I hope you're right. I'd LOVE to jump into a 335 GT for the mid to high 30's price tag and see what all the fuss is about - hehe.
Yeh , I reckon we'll see that in the next 5 years for the non R spec GT models.
GTP and R spec will still command more than that depending on mileage and condition and colour of course.
Old 16-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats what tuned GS's with Brembos are for..

As petrol gets dearer and petrol engines start to get phased out I can't see them gaining much value, far to easy to replicate too which probably wont help.

I'd never spend GTF money on a plastic Ford while you can still buy mint 60-70's GT's for less money though. In a perfect world I'd have a 335 in one of them instead.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post

Not sure they will get that low...for good original low km cars.

but agree for high km roughies with questionable history that have been f....d with by adding superchargerss, ruined the interior, added aftermarket wheels exhaust, crashed, replaced engines, BF upgrades on BAs, altexzzas, smoked lights, shakers, etc etc....

Good original cars with hold value and probably start to go up soon...

Not a GT, but, show me a good low km, original untouched manual BA Typhoon. In 5 years such a car will be almost non existent and my guess they will command a premium price.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Not sure they will get that low...for good original low km cars.

but agree for high km roughies with questionable history that have been f....d with by adding superchargerss, ruined the interior, added aftermarket wheels exhaust, crashed, replaced engines, BF upgrades on BAs, altexzzas, smoked lights, shakers, etc etc....

Good original cars with hold value and probably start to go up soon...

Not a GT, but, show me a good low km, original untouched manual BA Typhoon. In 5 years such a car will be almost non existent and my guess they will command a premium price.
bout this much, low k, unmolested will be sought after
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Hard to compare them to previous models as they are the last of their kind, never to be superseded by a newer model. They are the end of the family tree something none of the other limited editions will ever be.

No one knows how this will effect resale, only time and the market will tell.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Chopped
as in chopped

Forseeable future they will drop gradually.
Past that, you'll have to ask Gen Ys when they in their mid to late 40s. They'll be the ones buying them and determining the value.
Old 16-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They will drop. Plenty of them are lease cars for company directors who will do some kms.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to start this thread off by asking do you think GTF prices will ever drop in the foreseeable future? Like let's say a GTF that's been driven everyday and has a fair amount of KM's on it - will we see price drops? Or do you think they will always stay above the 100k price point. Will the GTF become rare? Or will it end up being like the BF GT special editions that never really took off in pricing.

Also, would or have any of you payed over 100k for a GTF?

I thought the market spoke yesterday when the auction GTF stalled at 95k and was passed in, that would be the current high water mark for a manual. The biggest problem for the GTF is there is nothing to underpin its value long term except for the fact it's the last Australian built GT and it has a slightly different tune. I seriously doubt many of the guys that have bought one expect to get their brass back in their life time, let alone make a profit.

Cheers Mick

Last edited by HO 3; 17-11-2014 at 12:33 AM.
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
I thought the market spoke yesterday when the auction GTF stalled at 95k and was passed in,
Apparently the 95 was a real bid from an interstate Ford dealer but the owner wants a bigger drink than that.
The car was a black/black manual with about 50kms for those who weren't aware of it.
Old 17-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many people still don't get there are a heap of these cars that will never be for sale because some people bought them for what they mean to them! I'd be surprised if there were too many people looking at these in anything but an investment in fun.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
So many people still don't get there are a heap of these cars that will never be for sale because some people bought them for what they mean to them! I'd be surprised if there were too many people looking at these in anything but an investment in fun.
I think that's the key here - some will never be for sale.

In the meantime - with the current pricing - there's a number of BF GT 40th anni GT's that I'd love to snap up if I had the coin. Beautiful cars at reasonable prices finally.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you or anything like that, believe me that wasn't my intentions. I was just curious to hear from my fellow ford enthusiasts on what they had to say about the matter. I just wanted to strike up conversation and didn't mean any harm by it. I personally think the GTF will become a classic in the future to come (hell they already are) being the last GT and all. As for your last question I'm not looking to buy anytime soon, but you never know what the future holds. Anyways I'd like to thank your and everyone elses feedback on the matter. To those of you who own GTF's I hope you enjoy your beasts you lucky bastards! Haha.
Nothing against you mate. Just saying these topics end the same. GTF isn't a "real" GT. I've buy an old GT over a new GTF. And so on and so forth.

Hope you do get the chance to own one! They are an awesome piece of machinery and won't drive terribly like the GT's of yesteryear (see the top speed run and Bowe about the old GT they took up, stepped across a lane and a half without warning!)
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I don't see what's wrong with this thread, GTF resale is an interesting topic- there was much speculation earlier in the year about their potential value both short and long term, now that there are a few floating around it'll be interesting to see how they fare. No need for memes to be posted.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #19
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Nothing against you mate. Just saying these topics end the same. GTF isn't a "real" GT. I've buy an old GT over a new GTF. And so on and so forth.

Hope you do get the chance to own one! They are an awesome piece of machinery and won't drive terribly like the GT's of yesteryear (see the top speed run and Bowe about the old GT they took up, stepped across a lane and a half without warning!)
A GT is a GT.Most who own the fpv ones have an old one aswell.I own both love both of them but its the old i really enjoy, the noise the way you have to drive these beasts is something else.As mentioned just like the classic GT's the fpv's that will fetch money or be collectables will be the GT40, GT cobra, Rspecs, maybe the boss 302 specs and the GTf.Same argument can be said about the classics.Its always the HO's and the RPO's that will always demand the best return.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER View Post
A GT is a GT.Most who own the fpv ones have an old one aswell.I own both love both of them but its the old i really enjoy, the noise the way you have to drive these beasts is something else.As mentioned just like the classic GT's the fpv's that will fetch money or be collectables will be the GT40, GT cobra, Rspecs, maybe the boss 302 specs and the GTf.Same argument can be said about the classics.Its always the HO's and the RPO's that will always demand the best return.
Yes but you cant buy them now new. I appreciate that you like them and love driving them! I can appreciate the cars but would I spend my money on an old GT, NEVER! They just dont appeal to me as a car I'd like to drive. But thats my opinion.

And I've driven those old cars and I tell you they are better suited to live on the wall of my place as a poster or model car. I did not enjoy my experience and it broke my heart as I always dreamt of owing such a car. Truth be told, sometimes the fantasy is better than the real thing.

So people like you will keep the old GT prices high and people like me will keep the demand up for newer GT's.

There is always a lot of negativity around modern GT's (and I'm not saying you're subscribing to it) but it gets tiring. Should no manufacturer build any car they did in the past cause they will never be what the old car was? Falcon nameplate should have retired in the 80's when it was dominating cause ever since then (bar EF) they have lost ground.
Old 18-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but you cant buy them now new. I appreciate that you like them and love driving them! I can appreciate the cars but would I spend my money on an old GT, NEVER! They just dont appeal to me as a car I'd like to drive. But thats my opinion.

And I've driven those old cars and I tell you they are better suited to live on the wall of my place as a poster or model car. I did not enjoy my experience and it broke my heart as I always dreamt of owing such a car. Truth be told, sometimes the fantasy is better than the real thing.

So people like you will keep the old GT prices high and people like me will keep the demand up for newer GT's.

There is always a lot of negativity around modern GT's (and I'm not saying you're subscribing to it) but it gets tiring. Should no manufacturer build any car they did in the past cause they will never be what the old car was? Falcon nameplate should have retired in the 80's when it was dominating cause ever since then (bar EF) they have lost ground.
new stuff says - hey i wanna thrill ya

old stuff says - hey i wanna kill ya

Last edited by pottery beige; 18-11-2014 at 12:23 AM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
They are an awesome piece of machinery and won't drive terribly like the GT's of yesteryear (see the top speed run and Bowe about the old GT they took up, stepped across a lane and a half without warning!)
So would you compare a 20 year old female supermodel with a 63 year old female model from 1971?

Just curious.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The real question is how long will the "investors" be prepared to sit on a car which has cost them $75-80k plus the interest bill per year. It is all well and good to be asking $100-140k, but the car is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. This has all the makings of ending in tears. I could put $80k into the stock market and make 25% pa.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The real question is how long will the "investors" be prepared to sit on a car which has cost them $75-80k plus the interest bill per year. It is all well and good to be asking $100-140k, but the car is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. This has all the makings of ending in tears. I could put $80k into the stock market and make 25% pa.
At this stage the guys that wanted one have bought one, the market has been satisfied, and I can not see anyone lining up to stump up 100-140k to get on board either.

Cheers Mick
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
So would you compare a 20 year old female supermodel with a 63 year old female model from 1971?

Just curious.

Some say I don't mind going a bit of old model myself

Cheers Mick
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #26
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The price will always be high for these cars, as the owners will want a high price when selling. You will not see 1 under 100k in the near future IMO.

Also two GTF that I know of have been written off in car accidents so far.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #27
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Not sure on price but I noticed last night on a random look through Byrne Ford Chermside they have one new GT-F sitting in the show room.
Not sure of the colour name off the top of my head but it was black.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Just curious.
No... can't see the point of doing so.

My point is simple. The thread will become (and has to an extent) about why the GTF isn't as good as GT's of yesteryear rather than the price of the car. Sure a comparison makes sense to assess probable value but the statements never end there. There will always be the extra little jibe at the GTF (and modern GT's).

The question was about the price of the car. Not what punters would rather buy.
Old 17-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
No... can't see the point of doing so.
Excellent. We have progress.

So your comment about a 2014 car outperforming (and being a better all round vehicle) than one manufactured in 1971 is just as pointless.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Excellent. We have progress.

So your comment about a 2014 car outperforming (and being a better all round vehicle) than one manufactured in 1971 is just as pointless.
Not pointless - the answer is just obvious, so doesn't need an answer. An FG XR6 (just ask responsef6) would give a "per factory spec" HO a good run for it's money, at a fraction of the price. It's not about what car drives better or even how they drive, so what's the point of any comparison with a mechanical dinosaur; admittedly, a very sought after car, and for good reason - but the reason is more to do with race pedigree and the connection to the past than the way it drives now.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post