Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #31
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: FPV GTF Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
So many people still don't get there are a heap of these cars that will never be for sale because some people bought them for what they mean to them! I'd be surprised if there were too many people looking at these in anything but an investment in fun.
I think that's the key here - some will never be for sale.

In the meantime - with the current pricing - there's a number of BF GT 40th anni GT's that I'd love to snap up if I had the coin. Beautiful cars at reasonable prices finally.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
So would you compare a 20 year old female supermodel with a 63 year old female model from 1971?

Just curious.

Some say I don't mind going a bit of old model myself

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #33
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER View Post
A GT is a GT.Most who own the fpv ones have an old one aswell.I own both love both of them but its the old i really enjoy, the noise the way you have to drive these beasts is something else.As mentioned just like the classic GT's the fpv's that will fetch money or be collectables will be the GT40, GT cobra, Rspecs, maybe the boss 302 specs and the GTf.Same argument can be said about the classics.Its always the HO's and the RPO's that will always demand the best return.
Yes but you cant buy them now new. I appreciate that you like them and love driving them! I can appreciate the cars but would I spend my money on an old GT, NEVER! They just dont appeal to me as a car I'd like to drive. But thats my opinion.

And I've driven those old cars and I tell you they are better suited to live on the wall of my place as a poster or model car. I did not enjoy my experience and it broke my heart as I always dreamt of owing such a car. Truth be told, sometimes the fantasy is better than the real thing.

So people like you will keep the old GT prices high and people like me will keep the demand up for newer GT's.

There is always a lot of negativity around modern GT's (and I'm not saying you're subscribing to it) but it gets tiring. Should no manufacturer build any car they did in the past cause they will never be what the old car was? Falcon nameplate should have retired in the 80's when it was dominating cause ever since then (bar EF) they have lost ground.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #34
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The real question is how long will the "investors" be prepared to sit on a car which has cost them $75-80k plus the interest bill per year. It is all well and good to be asking $100-140k, but the car is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. This has all the makings of ending in tears. I could put $80k into the stock market and make 25% pa.
At this stage the guys that wanted one have bought one, the market has been satisfied, and I can not see anyone lining up to stump up 100-140k to get on board either.

Cheers Mick
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
At this stage the guys that wanted one have bought one, the market has been satisfied, and I can not see anyone lining up to stump up 100-140k to get on board either.

Cheers Mick
But some people missed out that wanted one which is where those that keep them aside are hoping they will get cashed up in the future and pay a premium for the product which can happen which is what the OP was questioning.

But as for now, I agree with you that the market has been spoken for.

Last edited by kypez; 17-11-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 17-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #36
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
But some people missed out that wanted one which is where those that keep them aside are hoping they will get cashed up in the future and pay a premium for the product which can happen which is what the OP was questioning.

But as for now, I agree with you that the market has been spoken for.

The market and prices for these cars is clearly on the downward slope.............If anyone missed out they just need to be patient, sit back and wait. "The Whales" for these cars have left the market so before long breaking even will seem like a good deal to those that have leveraged themselves to hold one with the intent to flip for profit

Cheers Mick

Last edited by HO 3; 17-11-2014 at 01:42 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #37
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The market and prices for these cars is clearly on the downward slope.............If anyone missed out they just need to be patient, sit back and wait. "The Whales" for these cars have clearly left the market so before long breaking even will seem like a good deal to those that have leveraged themselves to hold one with the intent to flip for profit

Cheers Mick
Where the GTF, I think, will be a little different is that as Sensation said, not many will come up for sale and that will keep prices higher than the rest of the GT range. I cant find a single GTF being advertised for less than retail nor can I find an instance for one being sold under RRP. I dont think you can say the prices are "clearly on a downward slope" at this very moment based on current data.

I might add that I don't care about the current or future value cause mine will be one of those that will never be for sale.

Last edited by kypez; 17-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 17-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #38
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought the market spoke yesterday when the auction GTF stalled at 95k and was passed in,
Apparently the 95 was a real bid from an interstate Ford dealer but the owner wants a bigger drink than that.
The car was a black/black manual with about 50kms for those who weren't aware of it.
Old 17-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only way that you will get a GTF under retail price is if someone is desperate for money and wants it gone really really quick (even then it will still be around retailer price), an estate auction or one that has been written off.

IMO Most GTF were sold to people who could afford and investors, but then again the investor usually has money behind them.

The power of this is the last ever GT built in Australian is under estimated by a lot of people.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Wait until the first hero version of the Mustang hits the showroom floor.

Give it 3 years, Falcon will be a memory and most blue bloods will be wondering why it took Ford a lifetime to offer a real performance car to Aussies.
There wont be a resurgence for these GT's like there was for the originals as the falcon marque will be long forgotten.

Mustang is the future, get used to it.

When Mustang hits the floor Falcons will be dropped like hot potato's.

My 2c.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #41
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where the GTF, I think, will be a little different is that as Sensation said, not many will come up for sale and that will keep prices higher than the rest of the GT range. I cant find a single GTF being advertised for less than retail nor can I find an instance for one being sold under RRP. I dont think you can say the prices are "clearly on a downward slope" at this very moment based on current data.

I might add that I don't care about the current or future value cause mine will be one of those that will never be for sale.

Only one person in the country was prepared to put there hand up the other day and go as high as 95k not 100k not 105k not 110k. That is my data.

Cheers Mick

Last edited by HO 3; 17-11-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 17-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #42
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Only one person in the country was prepared to put there hand up the other day and go as high as 95k not 100k not 105k not 110k, that my data.

Cheers Mick
Yes, but that doesn't suggest it's going down in price. The car was $85k (minimum drive away price). $95k is still higher thus it has not gone down.
Old 17-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #43
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't suggest it's going down in price. The car was $85k (minimum drive away price). $95k is still higher thus it has not gone down.

Yes but a few sold for well over the odds..............I'm saying that party is over, at least for now. Over here in WA I doubt you would of got much change out of 90k DA for a GTF.

Cheers Mick

Last edited by HO 3; 17-11-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 17-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #44
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes but a few sold for well over the odds..............I'm saying that party is over, at least for now.

Cheers Mick
Thats one thing we can both agree on!
Old 17-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #45
cro142

Sorry but these cars are simply not "investments" in terms of making money in the long term.
The best reason for buying them was that you are an enthusiast and really love having the car, so the price was good value.

If you were a speculator, and couldn't give a toss about great Fords, and you bought one hoping to flick it for profit, then you may be disappointed.
You may catch an enthusiast who missed out, but the return will not be great - witness the recent $95K offer. The seller is most likely paying around $800 to $1000 per month to hold it, so he better flog it off soon or he will go backwards. The market has spoken, and it is never wrong.

Also witness those poor mugs who bought Cobra's for a big flip - didn't happen, never will. Most cars simply depreciate, and that's that.

The best example of the investment performance of muscle cars is the mighty XY GTHO Phase III.

If you had bought one in 1971 for $4K and kept it in good nick, and you sold it at the peak of the boom in 2006/07 for around $650K (?) you would have achieved the best possible investment outcome. But there is only a small chance that you would have picked the peak of the boom to sell it, so your expected return on investment would probably be much less than this.

On the other hand, you could have bought a well-located house in 1971 for $4to $5K, it would now be worth at least $450 to $500K today - and it gave you somewhere to live for 40+ years.

Look at the numbers - even the GTHO at its best scenario really only kept pace with inflation. All other Aussie cars will be lesser performers.

Moral:
These cars can no way be looked at as "investments".
They are however fabulous cars to own and enjoy, and that's the way to look at them.

Maybe I'll pay $100K for a GTF, but only because I like 'em

Last edited by cro142; 17-11-2014 at 04:43 PM.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #46
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Give it 3 years, Falcon will be a memory and most blue bloods will be wondering why it took Ford a lifetime to offer a real performance car to Aussies.
Really ?
And the last 2 years of Supercharged 5.0 GT's aren't real perforamce cars ? - not to mention 8 years of F6 , hell the stock 5.4 was even half decent with a bit of tickling.........all this while the mustang was dragging its @ s s around on a live rear axle with pretty average standard kit and average power figures out of its stock 4.6 motor. The 5.0 motor is what really started making the Mustang even worth a look in as a stocker.

If you are alluding to GT350 and GT500 variants that might come here , methinks they will be in la la $$$ land and be waaaaaay out of reach of the punters that could afford the local aussie 4 door falcon GT.

No doubt current Mustang GT will be a screamer, especially considering all the available bolt ons - but it wont come cheap and i dont think owners of the supercharged 5.0 aussie GT's will bat an eyelid to be honest.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Really ?
And the last 2 years of Supercharged 5.0 GT's aren't real perforamce cars ? - not to mention 8 years of F6 , hell the stock 5.4 was even half decent with a bit of tickling.........all this while the mustang was dragging its @ s s around on a live rear axle with pretty average standard kit and average power figures out of its stock 4.6 motor. The 5.0 motor is what really started making the Mustang even worth a look in as a stocker.

If you are alluding to GT350 and GT500 variants that might come here , methinks they will be in la la $$$ land and be waaaaaay out of reach of the punters that could afford the local aussie 4 door falcon GT.

No doubt current Mustang GT will be a screamer, especially considering all the available bolt ons - but it wont come cheap and i dont think owners of the supercharged 5.0 aussie GT's will bat an eyelid to be honest.
Really!!!

Show me another manufacturing country that desires 4 door performance sedans.
No one cares for fast family hacks, well apart from easily pleased Aussies.
2 doors is where its at and has been for ever.

Ford even went there with the Falcon at one stage and in doing so produced the sexiest performance cars in Australian Auto manufacturing history.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved my Falcons, and I appreciate what they have provided for us for what will be 57 years by the time its all done and dusted.
But if you think a tarted up family sedan will hold a candle to the Mustang you may get a real surprise.
Its all about desirability.

I know if I was standing on the side of the road and a Mustang GT and Falcon GT went passed I'd look through the Falcon to see that Stang, no questions.
Nothing against the Falcon, but the roads are awash with kitted Falcodores of various model designation, im kinda over it and ready for the next chapter to be honest and I think many will welcome it too.

There will always be a place for the current crop of GT's but with falcon soon to be a redundant you wont have the future interest, as has been experienced with the originals, in 10-20 years time.

Anyway, its just an opinion.
Old 17-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #48
66 STANG

The main reason Mustangs stand out on Australian roads at the moment is that they are a rare commodity, and most likely the one you spot will be a performance variant (ie. Shelby, Saleen or Roush), as nobody would bother importing and converting a standard Mustang to Australia.

Once the standard Mustang is released in Australia, it will be like the USA, where seeing a Mustang on the roads will be no big deal.......

GT Falcons on the other hand are a relatively rare sight, and will still stir the emotion of Ford enthusiasts when they blast past......especially the 5.0 S/C models.

BTW in regards to the topic at hand (GTF Prices) - Does anyone know of anyone who is actually looking to buy a GTF that either missed out on release or decided they would like to get one now that they are out?? It would be interesting to find out how much these people think they are worth, and what they would be prepared (realistically) to pay to have one of these limited edition beasts in their garage!!
66 STANG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #49
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 STANG View Post
BTW in regards to the topic at hand (GTF Prices) - Does anyone know of anyone who is actually looking to buy a GTF that either missed out on release or decided they would like to get one now that they are out?? It would be interesting to find out how much these people think they are worth, and what they would be prepared (realistically) to pay to have one of these limited edition beasts in their garage!!
I know one bloke who had issues with his order and the dealer doing the dirty on him. Terrible for the bloke. Realistically would have paid up to $95k for one but I doubt he would have gone more after he missed out (long story but the dealer tore up the contract after he was 1 day late on settling the finance for the car).
Old 17-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Once the standard Mustang is released in Australia, it will be like the USA, where seeing a Mustang on the roads will be no big deal.......

GT Falcons on the other hand are a relatively rare sight, and will still stir the emotion of Ford enthusiasts when they blast past......especially the 5.0 S/C models.
So you believe Ford buying families will be lining up for the Mustang at $50k?

The initial rush will see orders bank up but as soon as the dust settles the actual number of Mustangs sold per month will be minimal.

The Mustang will never be as common as a Falcon and nothing like in the States where they can be had for bugger all.
Old 17-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #51
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really!!!

Show me another manufacturing country that desires 4 door performance sedans.
No one cares for fast family hacks, well apart from easily pleased Aussies.
2 doors is where its at and has been for ever.

Ford even went there with the Falcon at one stage and in doing so produced the sexiest performance cars in Australian Auto manufacturing history.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved my Falcons, and I appreciate what they have provided for us for what will be 57 years by the time its all done and dusted.
But if you think a tarted up family sedan will hold a candle to the Mustang you may get a real surprise.
Its all about desirability.

I know if I was standing on the side of the road and a Mustang GT and Falcon GT went passed I'd look through the Falcon to see that Stang, no questions.
Nothing against the Falcon, but the roads are awash with kitted Falcodores of various model designation, im kinda over it and ready for the next chapter to be honest and I think many will welcome it too.

There will always be a place for the current crop of GT's but with falcon soon to be a redundant you wont have the future interest, as has been experienced with the originals, in 10-20 years time.

Anyway, its just an opinion.

My bet is the whole Mustang thing will go south in a couple of years time............Aussie manufacturers have a long history of introducing 2 door cars, then binning them in a few years time because of lack of demand. Why? Because Australia is still primarily a 4 door car market and 2 door cars tend to be weekend driven discretionary vehicles which doesn't suit most of us Aussies.

Cheers Mick
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
Excellent. We have progress.

So your comment about a 2014 car outperforming (and being a better all round vehicle) than one manufactured in 1971 is just as pointless.
Not pointless - the answer is just obvious, so doesn't need an answer. An FG XR6 (just ask responsef6) would give a "per factory spec" HO a good run for it's money, at a fraction of the price. It's not about what car drives better or even how they drive, so what's the point of any comparison with a mechanical dinosaur; admittedly, a very sought after car, and for good reason - but the reason is more to do with race pedigree and the connection to the past than the way it drives now.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #53
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

The initial rush will see orders bank up but as soon as the dust settles the actual number of Mustangs sold per month will be minimal.
If that's the case , then mustang will be dead and buried before GTF owners have done 100k on the odo

Mustang has to sell in reasonable numbers to justify the supply chain and effort to bring the RHD version here. I think secretly , FoA are banking on the Eco boost turbo 4 model to keep reasonable numbers ticking over.
Old 17-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #54
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER View Post
And thats what is going to determine the price, but only if people want them.X series GT or FPv GT both 70k well i know which one i would rather be driving on weekends
So do I and I doubt it's the same one as you...

What a marvelous world we have where everyone likes different things.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 07:56 PM   #55
66 STANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
So do I and I doubt it's the same one as you...

What a marvelous world we have where everyone likes different things.
I like driving them both actually....!!
Old 17-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #56
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I like driving them both actually....!!
You're the only one in the thread I know of that has all 3 of the cars talked about in this thread......would be good to get an idea of what each car "does" for you when you drive it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #57
66 STANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
You're the only one in the thread I know of that has all 3 of the cars talked about in this thread......would be good to get an idea of what each car "does" for you when you drive it.
OK then............ I love driving them all actually, each for different specific reasons!

The old girl is cranky when cold, noisy when you hit the loud pedal, and cruises real nice on the highways. Brakes can be a bit ordinary at times though!

The Stang is a great all rounder providing you don't have more than 1 passenger. Looks great, goes great, stops great, sounds great, feels great. A bit impractical at times though, but that's not why I bought it!

The new baby is the quickest of them all, roomy and looks pretty good, has some good mod cons, but lacks the real "character" of the other 2. Hopefully this will grow on me as time goes on. Maybe it's too similar to our family daily (FG XR6T) at the moment.
7 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #58
tlub

if you bought a gtf to make a profit I feel this could be a risky move.i own a gtf and an xy gt so I feel can comment on the issue. to me the xy will always be my favourite and will not be sold. noisey handles like a pig cant park anywhere for fear of it being stolen or damaged , no a/c. but love it. gtf - rides wonderful , power to make the heart skip , ford got their **** right finally on this one, still cant leave anywhere. not in a hurry to sell but $$$ may oneday play a part. will never buy a mustang until it becomes a 4 door. we must just live our lives knowing that regardless of what era our cars are from we all own a part of motoring history with memories of fun times and sometimes foolish and dangerous events that have made us who we are . long live the GT.
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #59
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but you cant buy them now new. I appreciate that you like them and love driving them! I can appreciate the cars but would I spend my money on an old GT, NEVER! They just dont appeal to me as a car I'd like to drive. But thats my opinion.

And I've driven those old cars and I tell you they are better suited to live on the wall of my place as a poster or model car. I did not enjoy my experience and it broke my heart as I always dreamt of owing such a car. Truth be told, sometimes the fantasy is better than the real thing.

So people like you will keep the old GT prices high and people like me will keep the demand up for newer GT's.

There is always a lot of negativity around modern GT's (and I'm not saying you're subscribing to it) but it gets tiring. Should no manufacturer build any car they did in the past cause they will never be what the old car was? Falcon nameplate should have retired in the 80's when it was dominating cause ever since then (bar EF) they have lost ground.
new stuff says - hey i wanna thrill ya

old stuff says - hey i wanna kill ya

Last edited by pottery beige; 18-11-2014 at 12:23 AM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wait until the first hero version of the Mustang hits the showroom floor.

There wont be a resurgence for these GT's like there was for the originals as the falcon marque will be long forgotten.

Mustang is the future, get used to it.

When Mustang hits the floor Falcons will be dropped like hot potato's.

My 2c.
youve never been out burning wood ducks at 3am in a Falcon GT have you
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: