Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
Smithy1987

Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control, am I the only one that feels its a gimmick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I prefer regular cruise. Would be good to have it as an option if you have adaptive on your car.
There is an option for regular cruise, you can change the settings in the menu. I actually like the speed limiter option, set it to speed and the ute will drive like normal but won't go over the set speed unless you plant your foot
Smithy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #32
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Default Re: Adaptive Cruise Control, am I the only one that feels its a gimmick?

Someones gonna make a fortune in gaffar-tape.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I wouldn't mind a foil chaff machine on the back of my daily, it could throw the autonomous systems for a loop.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #34
Hawkeye84

The bit about bends and crests, yes. They lose track of the car in front and tend to speed up as if theres no car there. Thats pretty normal across all adaptive cruise controls.
At the end of the day, its adaptive cruise control - not autonomous driving control.
You still need the driver active behind the wheel.

I heard of one case, where at the Mercedes Dealership, a customer was told that his adaptive cruise was autonomous driving. So when he used his adaptive cruise whilst following another car going through a roundabout...what do you think happened?
The sensors and cameras lost sight of the car in front around the round about, his Mercedes sped up and rammed it self in the car in front.

All the other meltdown stuff that happened, definitely doesnt sound right though
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #35
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy1987 View Post
There is an option for regular cruise, you can change the settings in the menu. I actually like the speed limiter option, set it to speed and the ute will drive like normal but won't go over the set speed unless you plant your foot

You can turn adaptive cruise off if you don’t want it. Our Everest came with it off and after some searching I found the enabling option in the system menu settings. When it’s off it acts like any other cruise control system
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #36
Smithy1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
You can turn adaptive cruise off if you don’t want it. Our Everest came with it off and after some searching I found the enabling option in the system menu settings. When it’s off it acts like any other cruise control system
It's not so much that I don't want it, if it worked as suggested by the other posters it would be great! It just seems to be more buggy than reliable, however hopefully Ford can fix the issues
Smithy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #37
FPV0002
FPV0002

I find it too intrusive in anything more than light traffic. The issue is it will slow you down as you approach a vehicle from behind, then intervene too early and before you know it you’re doing 95 in a 110kmh zone following the car in front, but as it’s intervened too early and you are a few Car lengths back you don’t realise you have slowed so much. once you pull out to overtake the car drops back a gear and will rev its teets off to get back up to speed. You will comfortably continue on until some jerk overtakes you and merges back in front too early and the car will decelerate to then maintain the pre set gap. Come to think of it I hate it lol. Prefer to drive without it
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I wouldn't mind a foil chaff machine on the back of my daily, it could throw the autonomous systems for a loop.
I reckon that would be a good experiment, it wouldn't be hard to do either.

A ute, some foil and scissors - dump it on the Tullamarine/Monash Freeway in peak hour and see what happens

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 03-04-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #39
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I reckon that would be a good experiment, it wouldn't be hard to do either.

A ute, some foil and scissors - dump it on the Tullamarine/Monash Freeway in peak hour and see what happens
Just don't do it near the airports.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #40
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

I do a lot of country and city driving and I wouldn't buy another car without adaptive cruise, it is simply brilliant on my Ranger.
I like others on this thread suggest you get it checked by your dealer, drive another one to compare it if you think that's necessary.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #41
The_Fixer

All these fancy new systems are creating the path for driverless control.

Once they have ironed out the bugs in it, it will replace the driver.

I know many of us love to drive, but take yourself to the doc with a broken leg, or get home drunk or something else, it will have its moments when it's appreciated.
The_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #42
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

The only one I have used is a 2019 Camry, adaptive cruise was fantastic except one circumstance. When the car in the radar in front pulls off to use a tight left or right turn lane, the bloody thing just about sent me through the windscreen thinking I was going to run into it! Thankfully I never got rear ended or caused any other accident...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #43
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fixer View Post
All these fancy new systems are creating the path for driverless control.

Once they have ironed out the bugs in it, it will replace the driver.

I know many of us love to drive, but take yourself to the doc with a broken leg, or get home drunk or something else, it will have its moments when it's appreciated.
No one like driving 3 hours a day in congested traffic in peak hour.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #44
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
No one like driving 3 hours a day in congested traffic in peak hour.
Amen to this, when i first obtained my licence I used to love to drive and hated the thought of Autonomous cars. Now fast forward 5 years later I'm all for it. Last thing you can be bothered doing is sitting in traffic after a 10 hour day on the tools!

Looking forward to watching Netflix and sleeping in the car while it does all the work doing the daily commute.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #45
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Amen to this, when i first obtained my licence I used to love to drive and hated the thought of Autonomous cars. Now fast forward 5 years later I'm all for it. Last thing you can be bothered doing is sitting in traffic after a 10 hour day on the tools!

Looking forward to watching Netflix and sleeping in the car while it does all the work doing the daily commute.
It appears you need a chauffeur

I wouldn't trust autonomous vehicles until commercial aircraft fly without pilots - and that's not going to happen for a long time.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #46
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Mate just bought a new auto LandCruiser. He did a dance before driving off and I asked what it was about.
A secret 'not in the owner's manual' method of cutting out overdrive and increasing the rev range when driving in city traffic. .
I don't get this. Why would you need more rev range when you have 650nm?
Do new cars still have overdrive? I thought that was an extra gear for highway driving. Didn't think it would affect city driving.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post