Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Would you TRUST an Autonomous Car?

I fly a lot for work. Everything from tiny turbo-props (which still have autopilot) to modern jetliners that can practically take off and land without pilot intervention. (It can be funny to see pilots put up sun-screens when heading north, essentially flying blind.)
I've never given it a 2nd thought.

At various places I've ridden in driverless trains, although to be fair they basically shuttle back and forth, with less complexity than an elevator.

My point is that we trust technology all the time.

Yet if I arrived in a new city, to find the taxis were autonomous, and it was zipping down the freeway at 100kph, I think I would be soiling myself. In all honesty, I just don't think I could get in one.
Maybe in Jakarta, where freeway speeds can barely outpace the hawkers. But then you can hire a driver for about $2 a day, so why put them out of a job.
Would you trust an autonomous Merc doing 200kph on an Autobahn?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Default Re: Would you TRUST an Autonomous Car?

Even though I know a auto pilot does most of the boring flying in a plane, I can't say I'd like to be in a driverless car , bus etc. let alone have a driverless truck behind me on the freeway !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

One day in the very distant future, when I'm long departed from this world when all cars on the road are autonomous and no one drives a car themselves, then yes, I would trust them.

But while autonomous cars still have to share the road with stupid human drivers, then no.

In the future when all cars are autonomous, they will all communicate with each other in near proximity as to road hazards and what each will be doing in terms of speed, manoeuvres and future intentions on the road.

That is something an autonomous car cannot do with a car driven by a human in close proximity and vice-a-versa. ... And there lies the problem IMO.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I find the mostly good interactions with other road users, an affirming thing. When you stop for a pedestrian out of courtesy; as they smile and wave their thanks, when you let someone into a queue because there’s no reason not to, when everyone works as a team to let the aerosol driver think he’s jumping the pack - but gets the camera flash instead - with autonomy we’d miss that.

Autonomous art would be realism with photos - there’s no room for Manet or McCubbin. Where would writing be, an intelligent machine is still unfeeling; incapable of whimsy or true mischief in prose? For the most part, humans are still inherently capable of being “good” to one another. If we further diminish the social structures of work, respect and feedback, I am certain idleness will lead us astray.

It is for these reasons among others, I would not trust or encourage the spread of autonomous vehicles.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Automation in an aircraft does the job, pilots do the thinking and decision making. Traffic avoidance tech is in a 2 dimensional resolution..ie, one climbs one descends. There is a quantum leap necessary to what people think about automonous cars and it’s capabilities. People will also need to be trained to deal with it. There been a mammoth task in aviation regarding loss of pilot skills due automation and the human/machine interface. It’s a long long road ahead for driverless cars from where I sit. Would I trust one? Nope, not at this point or probably not in my lifetime
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Absolutely

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

One of my hobbies is 3D printing.. It amazes me how I can print the same thing (even with different colours, having slightly different properties, from different manufacturers) and get the same results (& the same slight defects!)

My day job is in I.T. production support, and it amazes me when I have to tell some team their code from the last release isn't compiling (web browser javascript, mostly). Not compiling, not tested, let alone for the specific change made - moved to production without even looking because of someone's arrogance.

No, probably, I would not trust it either - even though I love it.
JasonACT is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

I was in a Hyundai Kona on road Melb to Geelong... in auto mode it followed paint lines on road for a long time. I was stunned and a bit anxious... if paint lines merged etc etc. Ps - fifth Elent film is where it will be in a long time
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Not an autonomous car , but a whole autonomous network ! ..........
https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/...-sunday-052219

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not right now.
Sure they can drive down a basic freeway with distinctive lines, but they can't handle less than perfect roads, certain weather conditions and changes to the roads or traffic.

Some Tesla Fails
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMvQphJQiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMvdI8nSAJE
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Not an autonomous car , but a whole autonomous network ! ..........
https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/...-sunday-052219
Yeah, didn't that go well
Old 27-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

After riding shotgun with my gf, I seriously doubt an autonomous car can scare me.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Humans fall asleep, speed, take drugs, drink, distracted, suicidal, bad eyesight etc...

Estimated 1.35 million people killed in car accidents in 2016 worldwide according to WHO.

Autonomous cars will do better.

Any problem with Autonomous cars is due to human error (programmer error or bad design).
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #14
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Of those 1.35 million killed, how many were killed in places like India where the road system is dangerous by it's very nature?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #15
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Of those 1.35 million killed, how many were killed in places like India where the road system is dangerous by it's very nature?
No need to see overseas, we have crazy drivers in Australia and western developed nations.

See youtube for bad drivers or read the news and drunk or speeding drivers.

Its a lottery on the roads, someone is texting or truck driver falls asleep.

We are in the transition stage as modern cars are adding semi Autonomous features... which has improved car safety.
Old 27-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #16
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are so far away from fully autonomous cars it’s not something any of us will ever have to worry about. But no I wouldn’t.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #17
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
One day in the very distant future, when I'm long departed from this world when all cars on the road are autonomous and no one drives a car themselves, then yes, I would trust them.

But while autonomous cars still have to share the road with stupid human drivers, then no.

In the future when all cars are autonomous, they will all communicate with each other in near proximity as to road hazards and what each will be doing in terms of speed, manoeuvres and future intentions on the road.

That is something an autonomous car cannot do with a car driven by a human in close proximity and vice-a-versa. ... And there lies the problem IMO.

How old are you ?

My prediction it would start trialing in Australia before 2025 and on the roads before 2030.

Waymo is already driving is test mode in Denver full Autonomous cars.
Old 27-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
We are so far away from fully autonomous cars it’s not something any of us will ever have to worry about. But no I wouldn’t.
Self-driving Cars In 10 Years: EU Expects 'Fully Automated' Cars by 2030

Apr 6, 2019, 06:07am

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoe.../#502f81c5615b

The European Union commissioner for transport expects full self-driving capability by 2030, she said this week at City as a Lab conference in Slovenia.

That’s an important part of her “vision zero” to reducing traffic fatalities to none.

By 2030 we believe we will have the new generation of vehicles that will be fully automated,” EU commissioner Violeta Bulc said. “This year auto manufacturers added 15 new [safety and automation] features to all cars of all price levels.”

Those mandated features on new cars include lane-keeping technology, driver distraction sensors, external sensors, intelligent speed assistance, and a "black box" recorder which can be accessed to help determine causes of accidents.

Some of them could aid in making vehicles more autonomous.

As commissioner Bulc has overseen and stimulated about 230 billion Euros of investment into European transport initiatives over the past four years. Most of that has gone to mass transit, with 70 percent to railways alone, while private companies have been investing in autonomous driving technology.

But Europe is working towards an integrated transport system that incorporates both private and public, personal and mass transit.

“Autonomous mobility will not only be about cars,” Bulc said. “It will be about drones, about ships, about trains, about airplanes … my dream is that we bring all this together.”

It involves seeing transportation as a service with many integrated components, where a traveller might initiate a trip involving multiple modes of transit with just one digital interface. For example, someone might use a small ride-sharing vehicle to get to a tram, which might then take them to a larger train station. After riding the train close to their final destination, the traveler might use a bus or another ride-share to get to his or her final destination.

Making these seamless includes ticketing and mapping.

Many if not most of those components will be self-driving or autonomous, Bulc said. That most likely includes aircraft.

Built into this vision is decarbonization: a complete transition to electric or other non-polluting engines by 2050. That’s a second leg of Bulc’s “vision zero” strategy: zero pollution. Transport is currently the second-largest contributor to pollution in Europe, Bulc said. (Zero paper in the entire transportation industry, including commercial shipping, is a third.)

Bulc knows, of course, that this transition will not happen easily or automatically.

“We will achieve nothing without strong ecosystem behind us,” she said, adding that innovation cannot flourish without investment.

Ultimately however, Bulc said that achieving mobility as a service requires a focus not on technology or modes of transport but on people.

“Don’t get trapped in a small story,” Bulc said. “The big story is about people. It’s not about computers, cars, roads, or drones … it’s about people.”
Old 27-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #19
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I don't even trust the car to change gears for me.
Manual gearbox or nothing
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #20
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Estimated 1.35 million people killed in car accidents in 2016 worldwide according to WHO.
Considering there are approximately 7,706,768,000 people in the world today, 1.35 million represents only 0.0175% deaths due to car accidents.

Yes, I know all 7,706,768,000 don't drive cars, but the 1.35 million deaths also includes pedestrians.

People pulling triggers on guns accounts for a much greater percentage of deaths every year.... Maybe we should make fire arms autonomous so we can all be safer.

"Alert, alert".... Human detected in gun sight... Trigger has been deactivated.
GO FURTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Wink Re: Would you TRUST an Autonomous Car?

Actually, in Australia I believe the number of deaths directly related to bowel cancer dwarfs the number of road user deaths. Yet we have this obsession with "safe driving". Maybe autonomous cars should have a built in colonoscopy function to be properly safe?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 08:21 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
As commissioner Bulc has overseen and stimulated about 230 billion Euros of investment into European transport initiatives over the past four years. Most of that has gone to mass transit, with 70 percent to railways alone,
You seem to forget that we are neither the USA or Europe.

The amount she is supposed to have spent equates to $371,904,267,940.00 Australian Dollars.

It's doubtful that the Aus Govt has spent a fraction of that on transport since the invention of Horseless carriages
Old 27-05-2019, 08:41 PM   #23
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyways you wont have buy or ride in one, but they will start to be on our roads before 2030 along with the drones delivering our parcels.

Australia is usually behind as we are now getting driverless metros.
Old 27-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #24
jgmdat

Quote:
Anyways you wont have buy or ride in one, but they will start to be on our roads before 2030 along with the drones delivering our parcels.

If this is the world you strive for you are indeed a sad human.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Old 27-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Humans fall asleep, speed, take drugs, drink, distracted, suicidal, bad eyesight etc...

Autonomous cars will do better.

Any problem with Autonomous cars is due to human error (programmer error or bad design).

As you said we humans will make mistakes or or just take risks, this is human nature that will not change.

Autonomous devices also will not protect us completely as in aviation as one example which has been proven that planes can crash despite pilots trying to override the autonomous devices that fail.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Old 27-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Drones delivering parcels? Lol yeah, that's a gimmick that will never be used in a large scale.
Can you imagine 10,000 drones buzzing around a big city dropping parcels from the sky.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #29
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couldn't care. I'll still be driving a car of my choice, eating steak and cleaning my firearms.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 12:25 AM   #30
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes they do.
And yet when I jump into a taxi, or an Uber, or a Bus, i trust the driver to be able to do their job...

Why can't I bring myself to trust a computer?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post