Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default New Larger Mustang Platform

http://fordauthority.com/2019/05/mus...d-you-buy-one/
Quote:
Rumors are swirling everywhere about the next-generation Ford Mustang. Word is that around 2026, the smaller Pony car we all know and love will die. Mustang rumors suggest that in its place will come a much larger car on the CD6 platform that underpins the 2020 Ford Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator.

The move to the new platform means the Mustang will get larger and heavier with rumors suggesting that the larger CD6 platform Mustang will be on par size wise with the current generation Dodge Challenger. Mustang fans into track days and road racing know that the current car is already getting too heavy. An even larger Mustang could turn the road racers to a different car altogether. If the Mustang does grow to be the same size as the Challenger, would you still buy one?
Old 27-05-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: New Larger Mustang Platform

It will be like the Mini. Selling on the name, not what it traditionally has been.

"Mustang" SUV? If the Bentayga could come to be, then absolutely.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It will be like the Mini. Selling on the name, not what it traditionally has been.

Hasn't that been the case with the Mustang since the mid 70's

2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2019, 10:22 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I would not buy a larger Mustang.

My 2017 Mustang is already wider than an FG Falcon and just as long.

It also has a huge 12.1 metre turning circle, which is more than a Ford Ranger or a Falcon.... You really notice it on normal side streets and most roads, and often its a 3 point turn or risk getting gutter rash on the front wheels.

So, no, the current S550 6th Gen Stang is already too big and heavy IMO.

A lighter Stang the size of a Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ would be Heaven!
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Smaller footprint and 400kg lighter would be the way forward, if it becomes bigger then I fear Ford have learnt nothing from the early 70’s when mustangs became bloated blimps and any notional sportiness was lost.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

"2020 Lincoln Aviator." bhhhhh Kill it with fire !!!
Old 28-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

“Hey, let’s change the formula. It’s got to be a market clincher”.

Yep; Mustang II, New Coke, New Skype all come to mind.
Old 28-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

It also has a huge 12.1 metre turning circle, which is more than a Ford Ranger or a Falcon.... You really notice it on normal side streets and most roads, and often its a 3 point turn or risk getting gutter rash on the front wheels.

Might be time to bring back the RS200!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as it’s a coupe with decent power I would own one.
I’ve never thought of the Mustang as small. It’s larger than most coupe on the road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

clearly Ford aren't learning any lessons....
Old 28-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #11
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Rumours, just because someone says it’s getting bigger and heavier on the internet makes it fact ?

Of course it does, this is the internet, everything here is true
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

If they also had the option of a four door and turbo Barra, I'd consider it.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
sixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
If they also had the option of a four door and turbo Barra, I'd consider it.
We had that for years. Not enough people bought them, so they stopped making it.....
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Rumours, just because someone says it’s getting bigger and heavier on the internet makes it fact ?
But it's also often how companies sometimes initially test likely market responses; put the rumour out there to see what the market thinks.
Old 28-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #15
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post

there quite a bit shorter than a FG falcon, park them together

Falcon FG 4955 mm wheelbase 2838 mm
Mustang 4784 mm wheelbase 2720 mm

but agree the turning circle is large
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1

Of course it does, this is the internet, everything here is true
Exactly. Because it may use the CD6 platform they have added 2+2 together and got 37, and assume it will be bigger cause the Explorer is bigger. But todays modular platforms are scaleable and can be made shorter and narrower to suit different vehicles. Which is what they will do with the Mustang.

With CAFE requirements, adding a heap of size and weight just isn't a realistic option.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its all semantics.
Mustang was originally based on the Falcon, which at the time was considered small by American standards. Hence the term Pony car, denoting something smaller that the full-size tanks of the day.

CD denotes something between Compact and modern Full-size, eg the Mondeo/Fusion is built on the CD3 or CD4.
CD6 will be slightly different in that it will will allow a wider range of vehicles and sizes to be built of the same platform, and allow FWD, RWD, or AWD. There's nothing to say that Mustang needs to be any bigger just because its on the CD6 platform.

You also need to understand that the Ford organisation is extremely political, and there is immense competition between divisions for prestige and budget.
The Mustang division has always fought fiercely against using a common platform, and the idea of a 4-door version, because that would have reduced their control and their development budget. Being such a company icon, the Mustang division clearly have more political cachet than others.
Twice, FoA were forced to go it alone and develop the EA169 and E8, rather than a global large RWD platform, because the Mustang Team didn't want to share their toys.

The reason the last Mustang still had a solid rear axle, is because it was supposedto be based on a global platform, the DEW (or D/E-W) but again the Mustang team wanted more control, so they ditched the independent suspension, and instead developed their own platform.
And once again, there was supposed to be a 4-door version, but it never happened.

Now, they have seen off all the internal competition. The Panther platform was not replaced, after getting rid of Nasser the E8 never left Australia and dies with the Falcon, and Ford nolonger has links to jag and Volvo. All leaving Mustang as the sole torch-bearer for the RWD platform.
Now Suddenly, surprise-surprise, they can't wait to develop a universal platform and a 4-door version.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 06:23 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It amazes me there is to date, no Mustang pram. Surely that's money for jam?
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But it's also often how companies sometimes initially test likely market responses; put the rumour out there to see what the market thinks.
Nice theory.
Old 28-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Rumors are swirling everywhere about the next-generation Ford Mustang. Word is that around 2026, the smaller Pony car we all know and love will die. Mustang rumors suggest that in its place will come a much larger car on the CD6 platform that underpins the 2020 Ford Explorer and 2020 Lincoln Aviator.
I'm pretty sure that I know the guy that started this rumor, well he didn't start it but
kept waffling on about S650 and then that being delayed and CD6 this and that ....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
This is not Ford, this is the internet reverberating and circular source confirmation,
people repeating the rumor on the internet are then cited as confirming it. LOL

What we're seeing here is a house of cards built around the info that the next Camaro
is to be built on yet again another one of GM's new flexible architectures and as such,
will grow in size to follow the Challenger and become more popular with buyers...

Now, that buzz was then transferred to what Ford may do with a future Mustang but what
was completely missed by most is that Ford is about to make the mustang more modular,
not bigger thanks to the addition of CD6 engineering modules for hybridizing, the packaging
under the skin will change to make things easier for Ford...or is that cheaper...er, less costly.

Last edited by jpd80; 28-05-2019 at 07:41 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2019, 08:32 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nice theory.
It happens see page 664 Section 4.4 Provoking - Trial balloon etc at https://www.slideshare.net/IanMcCart...y-leak-secrets
Old 28-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/liisa-...b_8743858.html

Quote:
"They can get customers excited about upcoming product offerings, such as the new Star Wars movie. In other cases, they may keep consumers from buying competing products in anticipation of leaked release dates or feature sets."
And Ford has done it often e.g. https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/202...gt500-revealed

Quote:
The Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 has been revealed, but this time via the official channels.

And what its reveal confirms is that most of the information divulged by forums and leaked documents stacks up to be true.
Old 28-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I am certain Apple do this, too.
Old 28-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Yes; Apple are infamous for doing it.
Old 29-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
It happens see page 664 Section 4.4 Provoking - Trial balloon etc at https://www.slideshare.net/IanMcCart...y-leak-secrets
Not in this case.
Old 29-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will the new platform be called Clydesdale?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

No, Destrier.
Old 29-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Agreed with comments about false conclusions being drawn. After all the VW MQB architecture is used for everything from the Polo to the large Atlas SUV!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #29
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Well I know that I'd have a Dodge Challenger... so there's that..
Old 29-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #30
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Well I know that I'd have a Dodge Challenger... so there's that..
No way, the Mustang is a much better car to drive.
chevypower is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post