Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #91
Greane01

Default Re: Quick question re: DRL's

Believe it or not, these are the DRLs dimmed with the headlights on. The photo certainly makes them look brighter than they actually are - I'm confident they won't blind other drivers.

Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #92
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just starting to take my headlights off now...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #93
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So all installed with no issues...
The hardest part was putting the Drivers Side Headlight back in.

I have left the passenger light off as I will be doing the wiring in the morning.

Once again guys, thanks for your instructions...
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #94
mas89

Same here. They certainly give off a good light..very happy.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #95
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so mine is wired up and working.
However...it appears that my DRL's are not very bright, plus they are not dimming!

It is like they are in "reduced / dimmed" mode all of the time.

Not sure what the problem is.

So instead of being 100% intensity, then reducing to 70% when lights are on. Mine appear to be 70% all the time, not matter if headlights are on or not...

I started by using Pin 10 as per above, however it is for the "dip beam"
I used Pin 5 as it is for the main beam.
Pin 12 is for side lights.

Pin 3 is actually for the Headlight Levelling.

Am I right in saying the following (UK - AUS);
- Sidelights = Parkers
- Main Bean = Headlights
- Dip Beam = High Beam

Or do I have the above around the wrong way and it should be Pin 5???

But would that have any effect on the lights being a constant low intensity, rather than a high intensity that then dims...

I hope the above makes sense...

Glenn
Old 08-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #96
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just googled it...

Main Beam = High Beam
Dipped Beam = Low Beam (headlights)
Sidelights = Parkers

Passenger Side Connector;
Pin 12 = Parkers
Pin 5 = High Beams
Pin 10 = Low Beam
Pin 7 = Ground

Pin 1 = Headlight Levelling
Pin 3 = Headlight Levelling
Pin 11 = Ground

Source for above; Haynes Manual Apr 2007 to 2012

So looks like I will try Pin 5 again and see if that helps...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #97
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas89
looking good,,, i was just about to say pin 10 not pin 3. my relay system must be different to yours,my blue is full light and the yellow is dim light.
Hey Mas89, as I am having trouble with mine being dim, what do you mean by your Blue = Full and Yellow = dimmed?

Isn't blue the headlight trigger and Yellow for Acc / ignition?

Happy to discuss...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #98
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126
I just googled it...

Main Beam = High Beam
Dipped Beam = Low Beam (headlights)
Sidelights = Parkers

Passenger Side Connector;
Pin 12 = Parkers
Pin 5 = High Beams
Pin 10 = Low Beam
Pin 7 = Ground

Pin 1 = Headlight Levelling
Pin 3 = Headlight Levelling
Pin 11 = Ground

Source for above; Haynes Manual Apr 2007 to 2012

So looks like I will try Pin 5 again and see if that helps...
If you connect into Pin 5, your DRLs will only dim when your high beams are on? I'm pretty sure Pin 10 is the one you want.

However, it sounds to me like you need to have your yellow DRL wire going into the headlamp pin and your blue going into the ACC.

I note that some instructions at this site: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...550251629.html state that "the yellow wire connect to headlamp wire, or connect to side lamp controlling wire, the blue wire connect to ACC wire"... but with my DRLs it was yellow to ACC and blue to headlamp Pin 10 wire... confusing, but one of the two methods will work!

Last edited by Greane01; 08-09-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #99
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01
If you connect into Pin 5, your DRLs will only dim when your high beams are on? I'm pretty sure Pin 10 is the one you want.

However, it sounds to me like you need to have your yellow DRL wire going into the headlamp pin and your blue going into the ACC.

I note that some instructions at this site: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...550251629.html state that "the yellow wire connect to headlamp wire, or connect to side lamp controlling wire, the blue wire connect to ACC wire"... but with my DRLs it was yellow to ACC and blue to headlamp Pin 10 wire... confusing, but one of the two methods will work!
Cheers, I will look at swapping them and seeing what happens...

I will keep you up to date!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #100
Greane01

I took a quick pic of the DRLs on full and on dim

To make it easier with testing the fuse box/headlamp locations we soldered the end of the yellow wire and blue wire to give them a bit of strength; this made it easier to jam into the holes! It's much easier with two people, as one can be switching on/off the headlights and the other can change wire locations and watch the DRLs!

Once we'd identified the right pin on the headlamp loom (i.e. when the DRL dimmed upon activation of the headlight low beams) we paired the wire (where it comes out of the loom) to expose <5mm of copper. We then got another small piece of automotive wire (which we fitted with a female connector on one end) and wrapped that around the bare copper, soldered (optional!), and wrapped with electrical tape. The DRL wire (blue in my case) we fitted with a male connector and connected the two wires - this makes it easier to disconnect the wire if desired.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #101
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, mine look like the ones on the right all the time; dim.

I will get all sorted in the morning...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #102
mas89

When It was red + ,black - then put yellow + it was dim,
When it wad red+,black - then put blue + it was bright... So then my blue went to ign & yellow to headlights...
Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #103
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So we changed around the wiring assuming the yellow and blue were around the wrong way. But not, the DRL's did not work.

I have put the wiring back to they way it was supposed to be and also used Pin10 as described above. All works, however DRL's are still stuck in the "dim" mode with only 70% light output.

In fact for Daytime Running Lights, you can hardly see them during the day with the sun etc.

So the only thing I can think of is the relay must be faulty and it is stuck in a open / closed position thus not allowing the DRL's to increase intensity to 100%, then dim back to 70% when headlights are on.

Does anyone have the relays in a position that they could take a picture of the specs (diagram) on top of the realy so I can source some replacements.

I have had the car in pieces so many time this weekend, plus my relay is burried under the fron cross member.

I just thought if somone else had the relay diagram handy, I could grab them before I ri the car apart again.

Glenn
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #104
Greane01

Quote:
So we changed around the wiring assuming the yellow and blue were around the wrong way. But not, the DRL's did not work.

I have put the wiring back to they way it was supposed to be and also used Pin10 as described above. All works, however DRL's are still stuck in the "dim" mode with only 70% light output.

In fact for Daytime Running Lights, you can hardly see them during the day with the sun etc.

So the only thing I can think of is the relay must be faulty and it is stuck in a open / closed position thus not allowing the DRL's to increase intensity to 100%, then dim back to 70% when headlights are on.

Does anyone have the relays in a position that they could take a picture of the specs (diagram) on top of the realy so I can source some replacements.

I have had the car in pieces so many time this weekend, plus my relay is burried under the fron cross member.

I just thought if somone else had the relay diagram handy, I could grab them before I ri the car apart again.

Glenn
Hey Glenn - just wondering if you have ever been able to get 100% brightness? The test we did was to connect the red (fused) wire to the battery positive, connect the black to earth, and then touch the yellow wire to the battery positive: this gave us 100% brightness - while still holding the yellow on the battery positive, we then touched the blue to battery positive and they dimmed. For you, it will probably be the other way around...

Either way you should hear the relays 'click' when you switch the DRLs on and another 'click' when you activate the relay to dim the lights. One thing I just thought of though: have you confirmed you actually have two relays in your harness? If you look at the photo from my previous post (below) you can see that there are definitely two relay boxes in the harness (although it is possible to get two relays into one box!)
The relay to dim the DRLs will also have some kind of resistor to reduce power (I assume that's how it works)...

After you have tried the above, and they still don't change brightness, it might be worth emailing the seller to ensure they are actually designed to dim?

Last edited by Greane01; 09-09-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #105
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Glenn - just wondering if you have ever been able to get 100% brightness? The test we did was to connect the red (fused) wire to the battery positive, connect the black to earth, and then touch the yellow wire to the battery positive: this gave us 100% brightness - while still holding the yellow on the battery positive, we then touched the blue to battery positive and they dimmed. For you, it will probably be the other way around...

Either way you should hear the relays 'click' when you switch the DRLs on and another 'click' when you activate the relay to dim the lights. One thing I just thought of though: have you confirmed you actually have two relays in your harness? If you look at the photo from my previous post (below) you can see that there are definitely two relay boxes in the harness (although it is possible to get two relays into one box!)
<a href="http://s363.photobucket.com/albums/oo80/smw757/?action=view&current=DRLwiringandrelays.jpg" target="_blank">imageThe relay to dim the DRLs will also have some kind of resistor to reduce power (I assume that's how it works)...

After you have tried the above, and they still don't dim, it might be worth emailing the seller to ensure they are actually designed to dim?
Hi, mine are exactly the same as yours. 2 little relays side by side.
I hear one click when ignition turned on; DRLS on. But I do not hear another click when headlights are turned on. So that must be tha answer.

But my issue is that they have never been 100% brightness, only 70% brightness. So maybe the relay is stuck in a closed / open position and not allowing it to reach the required 100% intensity.

Could you please tell me the digits on your relay, I can't quite make it out; 86, 87 85 and 30?

Glenn
Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #106
Greane01

Quote:
Hi, mine are exactly the same as yours. 2 little relays side by side.
I hear one click when ignition turned on; DRLS on. But I do not hear another click when headlights are turned on. So that must be tha answer.

But my issue is that they have never been 100% brightness, only 70% brightness. So maybe the relay is stuck in a closed / open position and not allowing it to reach the required 100% intensity.

Could you please tell me the digits on your relay, I can't quite make it out; 86, 87 85 and 30?

Glenn
Glenn - if you click on the thumbnail it brings up a bigger photo - then click on the photo again to enlarge it - but yep, those are the numbers.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #107
gh172

Quote:
I ordered mine on the 30th...! Got them from a UK seller on ebay for GBP99 plus postage.
Do you have a link to the seller you used?

Cheers.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #108
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
Do you have a link to the seller you used?

Cheers.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/carpartsandaccessoriesonline

Cheers
Old 09-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #109
gh172

Quote:

Thank-you,

Appreciate that !
Old 09-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #110
mas89

I ordered mine from http://www.car-cares.com/mondeo-spar...set-sku-pieces {plus some other parts**
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #111
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have purchased two new resistor relays, I will attempt to re-wire this afternoon. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #112
mas89

Best of luck,,hope you get them working the way they should
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #113
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so DRL's are firing on all cylinders!!!

Everything works fine.

Lights are now 100%, then reduce to 70% with headlights on!

Turned out that in the Relay Terminals / Wiring Loom the Yellow and Blue were in the wrong terminal. Simple change and all good!!!

Very impressed...

I VERY BIG Thankyou to all that have provided assistance over the past few days!

Glenn
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #114
Greane01

Quote:
Ok, so DRL's are firing on all cylinders!!!

Everything works fine.

Lights are now 100%, then reduce to 70% with headlights on!

Turned out that in the Relay Terminals / Wiring Loom the Yellow and Blue were in the wrong terminal. Simple change and all good!!!

Very impressed...

I VERY BIG Thankyou to all that have provided assistance over the past few days!

Glenn
That's great news; can't believe the Chinese Slovakians Slovenians would make a mistake like that?! I'm loving mine; sounds strange, but I actually feel a little less like someone is going to run into me due to my increased visibility... plus they look cool!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #115
mas89

That's great to hear.... So what is the next project.???
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #116
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well well well, what do we have here?

Now the main problem I have is them not dimming with headlights, they extinguish.

My wiring seems to differ from yours in that I have no yellow wire - I have a red 12v line, a black earth line, and a blue line which I hooked into pin 10 (low beams). As soon as the low beams came on, DRLs went out altogether.

So we've gone and lopped the blue line, as long as the car is running the DRLs just stay on at 100% brightness. I may need to look into another relay kit for it that has the dimming capability.

Massive thanks to everyone who has attempted the mod and posted assistance though - I needed it to get the bumper off, and for wiring hook up points - couldn't have done it without you guys. Much love for my Mondeo Brethren!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #117
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Well well well, what do we have here?

Now the main problem I have is them not dimming with headlights, they extinguish.

My wiring seems to differ from yours in that I have no yellow wire - I have a red 12v line, a black earth line, and a blue line which I hooked into pin 10 (low beams). As soon as the low beams came on, DRLs went out altogether.

So we've gone and lopped the blue line, as long as the car is running the DRLs just stay on at 100% brightness. I may need to look into another relay kit for it that has the dimming capability.

Massive thanks to everyone who has attempted the mod and posted assistance though - I needed it to get the bumper off, and for wiring hook up points - couldn't have done it without you guys. Much love for my Mondeo Brethren!
Looks good Riksta - love the Panther Black! The DRLs really finish off the front end nicely!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #118
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks mate I'll try give it a real good wash and grab a couple of shots of her gleaming in the sun on Sunday - weather permitting!
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 20-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #119
roadtrack
Starter Motor

Hi all..Many thanks to everybody for your detailed info.and photos on this topic...extremely useful. It would seem that the DRL's sourced by Greane01 were the most straight forward to wire in to that sophisticated electrical system.Don't want to think about the angst if something got a bit back to front in that wiring system! Thanks again to all.
roadtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #120
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I bit the bullet and re-clamped the wire to the headlight wire tonight. The DRLs were just that little bit too bright with the headlights at night, I didn't want to attract too much defect attention (my windows are also tinted too dark to be legal) so now when I turn my headlights on, the DRLs go out altogether.

Might look into some sort of relay system that will dim them instead of extinguishing them so I can keep them on at night without them being stupid bright.

And by "Stupid bright" I mean at night, they're just that little bit blinding if you cop them in your eyes at the right angle. In the following photo, there are NO lights active other than the DRLs.

Add the headlights to the mix and you can imagine why I decided that it was better for them to go out at night time!
Quote: