Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #511
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

We are all booked in at Lakeside tourist park for July. Not sure if it's the right time of year. Going by averages, July has highest rainfall and lowest temps for halls gap. Oh well, at least the pools and nearby amenities are heated

We have a powered site so heater will get a work out. Also probably explains why there aren't many reviews around for winter time.

Still, better than working.
Old 27-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #512
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Has anyone here camped at Ngarkat Conservation Park near the SA/Vic border? Specifically at the Pine Hut Soak Campground?

I'm looking to camp there solo next week, just an overnight stop, plus a day hike before pushing on to RAdelaide.

TIA
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #513
prydey
Rob

I haven't, but let me know what it's like.
Old 27-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #514
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
We are all booked in at Lakeside tourist park for July. Not sure if it's the right time of year. Going by averages, July has highest rainfall and lowest temps for halls gap. Oh well, at least the pools and nearby amenities are heated

We have a powered site so heater will get a work out. Also probably explains why there aren't many reviews around for winter time.

Still, better than working.
If it snows you’ll see snow on all the peaks around halls gap. Mt William is the best hike in the snow. I live down the road and got up early one morning to do Mt William.
https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=151
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #515
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
If it snows you’ll see snow on all the peaks around halls gap. Mt William is the best hike in the snow. I live down the road and got up early one morning to do Mt William.
https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=151
I was just reading a blog last night saying they sometimes get snow on mt William in winter. Sounds good but cold.
Old 27-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #516
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was just reading a blog last night saying they sometimes get snow on mt William in winter. Sounds good but cold.
If go up Mt William when it’s snowing try to get there before dawn. It’s a small car park and it gets popular. You can walk to the summit up a steep access road for some amazing views. It’s only a few kays but maybe a bit much for kids. If there is snow at Mt William chances are there will be snow at the Pinnacles too if you get there early enough. Nowhere near as much but enough for kids to have fun with.
Old 27-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #517
prydey
Rob

Is mt William the one with a couple of towers on it? We did most of the lookouts last time we were there.
Old 27-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #518
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is mt William the one with a couple of towers on it? We did most of the lookouts last time we were there.
Yeah that’s the one. I think it’s a radio tower or something with a road going up to it. My favourite walk over there would be Mt Stapylton.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #519
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
I haven't, but let me know what it's like.
Well going there midweek means you’re the only person around for miles, a big tick there!

Getting there:

There’s conflicting info online. If it is dry then it is 2wd accessible from the Ngarkat Highway, but you just need to drop the tyre pressure and gun it over sandy parts of the track to the camp. I can see how one could get easily bogged if it’s been raining. Immediatelt beyond the camp it’s strictly 4WD only, full sand tracks.

It’s a featureless mulga/desert camp area, great for chilling out solo or partying with a group, not great if you get bored easily. Campsite had one drop dunny in good nick.

Sleeping under the stars on a still night with zero human noise other than a midnight jet was a pretty surreal experience.

My only other desert camp experience was glamping in the Wahiba Sands in Oman, pretty different to here.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #520
kinksta
Luxojet

This was up past Walkers Flat. Nice little free camp site. We had some lovely weather until yesterday morning during pack up there was a lil rain. Wongulla Campground was the location.
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #521
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflux View Post
Sleeping under the stars on a still night with zero human noise other than a midnight jet was a pretty surreal experience.
Amen. My reason for wanting to head to the Flinders in the next few weeks. And hoping the weather holds a little.
Old 22-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #522
hayseed

I'm sure We campers can relate to this....LOL

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154599978909072
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #523
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I'm sure We campers can relate to this....LOL

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154599978909072
that's gold. absolute gold.
Old 22-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #524
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Getting ready for a few days Caravaning...

I also bought a kayak...

The Mrs and I are heading up to Myall River Camp on Anzac Day...
Old 22-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #525
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The 12 apostles are now 11 since one fell down a few years ago.
I was planning on driving up and also doing the Otways Tree Top Walk.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #526
prydey
Rob

Just spent Easter at Mambray Ck campground in the Mt Remarkable NP in the Southern Flinders in SA. Our 3rd trip to this campground since Oct '17. Obviously we like it!

Here's a few pics from the weekend...

For those playing at home, this is site 33. Well shaded.

One of the resident Lace monitors

View from the Sugargum lookout. The sign at the start said 8km hike return, nice and shady with a small more strenuous bit at the end. Well, the last 700m was like a wall. I've ridden roads with a gradient above 20% and this would have been easily that in sections. The 10yr old needed a LOT of encouragement, but we got there in the end and the view was pretty good.

Sunday I did the longest hike from the campground, with my eldest daughter. 18km return apparently, but my device put it at just shy of 21km. It was a hike in to Hidden Gorge. The loop takes you up and across the ridge top, before dropping down in to the Gorge and then flat back to the campground. It's not for the feint hearted. Some pics..
Looking out to Spencer Gulf

Some of hidden gorge

And, leaving..

Another great weekend. It gets busy at these times there with lots of families with young kids, so you have to sort of block that out, but we pretty much keep to ourselves. We love getting out in to the bush and the families generally stick to the campground, so once out on a walk, its nice and peaceful.

Weather forecast ramped up the week before leaving, so to play it safe, we bought yet another fan, to go with the two I already bought for the bed ends. Didn't really cool anything down, but did provide some airflow, day and night. My battery dropped down to 12.4 on the sun morning from running the fans continuous. The solar panel had replenished the battery by mid morning Fri and Sat, but sunday was all cloudy and rain showers, so the panel didn't really do much, but did cover what we used during that day (basically lights and water pump, no fans required). Monday it was back full before we left. According to google, 12.4v is roughly 40-50% used, which the 'experts' reckon is about as far as you should take a AGM battery, but I think it depends how often you cycle them to these levels. Once every now and then shouldn't hurt. I have a good Victron multi stage charger so i'll give it a boost with that now that i'm home.
Old 22-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #527
kinksta
Luxojet

Love Mambray! Great pics!
Old 22-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #528
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Getting ready for a few days Caravaning...

I also bought a kayak...

The Mrs and I are heading up to Myall River Camp on Anzac Day...
Is that Yak from Wilderness systems, looks like one of their hulls.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #529
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Rob, so jealous of those pics, I was actually contemplating heading up there this weekend but never pulled the trigger.
Probably aiming for mid year or some time during the next school term if I can get the time.
That last bit on the way to Sugar Gum after the cabin is a killer, I remember going up the first time and wondering if it was all worth it.

Glad you made the trek around Hidden Gorge, its a slog but well worth it, did you go up the outside and back down the Gorge or vice versa, the latter is a real grind climbing up those rock ledges.
Old 22-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #530
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That last bit on the way to Sugar Gum after the cabin is a killer, I remember going up the first time and wondering if it was all worth it.
it sure was. The view was good (3rd pic down) but not really worth the climb if i'm honest. Probably won't do it again.

Quote:
Glad you made the trek around Hidden Gorge, its a slog but well worth it, did you go up the outside and back down the Gorge or vice versa, the latter is a real grind climbing up those rock ledges.
I was advised, possibly even by yourself, to walk up to the ridge first, and then come back by the fire trail. We figured this to be the best way, as it gets the climbing out the way while you still have fresh legs. walking up out of the gorge with over 10km in your legs wouldn't have been much fun.

The ridge walk (battery track?) was pretty good, as was the climb. as you can see from the pics, views out to spencer gulf were very good. the camera never captures fully what the eye sees either. The gorge was good but after a km or so of walking essentially along a creek bed, it all started look the same, and then it just went on and on. The track was not very well defined in parts as well. still, it was an enjoyable walk and my eldest and I really enjoyed it, as well as having the time to ourselves. Some good father/daughter time without the wife and youngest.

edit - not sure if this will work, but here is a link to my strava recording.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2306259814

Last edited by prydey; 22-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #531
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
edit - not sure if this will work, but here is a link to my strava recording.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2306259814
Far out, 4hrs over that terrain is a cracking pace, first time I did it that way we left camp at 8am and didn't roll back in until mid arvo.

Question, were fire pits in use over the weekend?

Last edited by BENT_8; 22-04-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 23-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #532
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Far out, 4hrs over that terrain is a cracking pace, first time I did it that way we left camp at 8am and didn't roll back in until mid arvo.

Question, were fire pits in use over the weekend?
It was 6.5hrs total. I think the large discrepancy between total time and moving time may be to do with losing signal all the time. Not sure. We didn't really stop much except to shelter from a couple of rain showers that went across.

Fire ban for that area finished on 15th, so plenty of people having fires.
Old 23-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #533
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Is that Yak from Wilderness systems, looks like one of their hulls.
I picked it up from a place called C - Kayak in Newcastle

https://www.kayaksonline.net/newcastle-kayaks
Old 24-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #534
Trevor 57
is now there

off to the NSW side of the Murray tomorrow until Sunday, intend to relax, burn wood, cook camp oven meals, have a couple of quiet ones, maybe read a book and generally just have a bloody good time. I just hope it is not too busy, we didn't go anywhere for Easter due to the crowds
Old 25-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #535
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

All setup and ready to relax for a few days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #536
prydey
Rob

Just looked up the website
https://www.myallrivercamp.com.au/

That looks pretty nice.

Are the toilets flush, or long drop?

Fair way to travel for me but looks like a nice relaxing spot. Bet it gets busy in peak times.
Old 25-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #537
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just looked up the website
https://www.myallrivercamp.com.au/

That looks pretty nice.

Are the toilets flush, or long drop?

Fair way to travel for me but looks like a nice relaxing spot. Bet it gets busy in peak times.
We have our own loo in the van, but there are plenty of portaloos around the place.

It’s still pretty busy and the caretakers said it was twice as busy over the Easter weekend.
Old 25-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #538
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Now ask Beastie how long it took him to travel to the campsite.
Old 25-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #539
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Now ask Beastie how long it took him to travel to the campsite.
Probably didn't even take his slippers off
Old 25-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #540
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Nothing to see here...

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/N...32.4633713!3e0
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post