Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Guzz226

Default Ford Marketing

I know Ford Marketing Dept has been copping a whack in these forums for sometime.

Tha said, I was expecting (hoping for?) a nice big bright full page ad in the Herald Sun (Victorian Daily) - you know just like the ones Holden have been putting in there for the last upteen years - to celebrate the extended backing of FPR as well as the win.

Sadly nothing......

Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
blk6t

Default Re: Ford Marketing

Ford execs were probably under the influence and celebrating, with the marketing team having time off probably expecting a Holden victory.

It's a shame Ford aren't milking it more because out of all the drivers on the track yesterday, Frosty was the person in my opinion who deserved that win the most. Plus it was on hell f a race and the perfect close finish, something you see out of a movie.

Ford have a marketing dish served to them on a gold platter...
Old 14-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
I6DOHC

Agreed, was an epic finish like last year and one that went the right way this time around.

But unfortunately in order to capitalise on the result, they'd have to include some details of the 'Falcon'...which almost looks like it has been a dirty word at HQ for a few years now.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
cro142

"FORD WINS BATHURST"

It's just not that hard.
Sadly, it is too hard for Ford marketing.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Not a lot of point competing if you dont capitalise on it. I think they probably didnt expect to win...give them a couple of days.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Devils advocate... as a brand do not want to be associated with bogans and gas guzzling v8's... a perception a lot of the community would have about v8 supercars? Yes to extending FPR program for racing fans but not for people not interested. In other words two parallel universes...
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why bother though, the people who would have an interest in the result would of been watching the race anyway. The rest of the population would not even care who won.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

There must be zero money in the Falcon advertising budget.
Even Territory is getting boned when Falcon go's but is still getting a run on the telly.
Old 14-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Why bother though, the people who would have an interest in the result would of been watching the race anyway. The rest of the population would not even care who won.
Half of the crowd already own fords/holdens, the other half drive Toyotas and cheer on whoever...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You've forgotten Ford don't want to sell Falcons, cause they want to shut up shop soon as the numbers drop low enough.

But win on Sunday, sell on Monday doesn't work anyway these days.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I wonder if FPV sales will come back to life after Bathurst or is everyone now waiting for the next Falcon?

Maybe do a GT with FGII nose to commemorate Falcon winning Bathurst?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You've forgotten Ford don't want to sell Falcons, cause they want to shut up shop soon as the numbers drop low enough.
Correct
Any such marketing is about building long-term Brand Recognition, not much value for a brand (Falcon) they are killing off.

If Ford continue their association with V8SC, I assume it will be based on the Mustang, and such marketing may return.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
V8 6I

Big one page ad in the Victorian Herald Sun page 69 FORD KING of the MOUNTAIN.Suitable for framing and placing in the man cave.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

And notice not one mention of Falcon in any way. Just Ford, they want people to buy Ford imports, not Falcons.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
And notice not one mention of Falcon in any way. Just Ford, they want people to buy Ford imports, not Falcons.

Because, funnily enough, Ford want people to buy Fords...

No point being a one-product company...especially a product in a shrinking market.

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I thought they raced Falcon as a way of promoting it, but yes there is some brand spill over to other models.
Old 15-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought they raced Falcon as a way of promoting it, but yes there is some brand spill over to other models.

They race Falcon because it is the only Ford on sale in Australia as a V8 four door family sedan. Odly enough the V8SC series evolved around this requirement?

Maybe we might see a challenge by Ford to V8SC to alter the rules to allow 2 door sedans? Doesn't matter any way .. Holden gone in 2016 .. V8SC dead.
Old 15-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRXR6 View Post
Maybe we might see a challenge by Ford to V8SC to alter the rules to allow 2 door sedans? Doesn't matter any way .. Holden gone in 2016 .. V8SC dead.
No its not, Ford can race the mondeo, and holden a whatever...just as Nissan do...

That way, a Ford can still win Bathurst

\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here we go again. Another thread created and endorsed by some that clearly don't have an understanding of what Ford Australia's vision for the future is. Maybe just maybe, they need to spell it out for some.
They need to improve their share in segments that are either improving or have a reasonable volume and the large car segment is just nowhere so why throw you budget away on something that's not going to deliver. Oh let me guess, we want them to satisfy those that have watched the race, realized that Ford won and will spend the next six hours in the garage polishing their EL Falcon whilst considering upgrading to a 2nd hand BF XR8 which will really help sell another new falcon. Give it a rest guys cause 99% of Australia hasn't even given the race victory a thought
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Here we go again. Another thread created and endorsed by some that clearly don't have an understanding of what Ford Australia's vision for the future is. Maybe just maybe, they need to spell it out for some.
They need to improve their share in segments that are either improving or have a reasonable volume and the large car segment is just nowhere so why throw you budget away on something that's not going to deliver. Oh let me guess, we want them to satisfy those that have watched the race, realized that Ford won and will spend the next six hours in the garage polishing their EL Falcon whilst considering upgrading to a 2nd hand BF XR8 which will really help sell another new falcon. Give it a rest guys cause 99% of Australia hasn't even given the race victory a thought
Ouch!

I'm the OP. I understand the vision. And for what its worth I think they way Ford handled it in the Victorian papers yesterday was great (unsure of other states).

Given all the negativity around Ford at the moment I was posing why they aren't making the most of the good times? If they are going to participate in motorsport why not capitalise when they actually win?

Why open the thread and stoke the fires if you don't respect or want to hear opinions other than your own?

And fwiw of 8 Fords I have owned, only half have been Falcons.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Good on you for "spelling it out" for those that "clearly don't have an understanding of Ford Australia's vision for the future"...but riddle me this: why did Ford Australia go and do what the original poster expected - a full page ad celebrating the win. Why did they "throw their budget away on something that's not going to deliver"?

Best you spell out Ford Australia's vision to Ford Australia - can't have them rewarding fans with something they can hang on to for the price of a newspaper. You might think it naff, but as a Holden man if my old man was able to hand down genuine full page ads celebrating Holden victories from the 60, 70's and 80's I wouldn't use them to line a budgie cage. Won't be long before there are no newspapers to give us cheap but valued memorabilia.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Similar to the other side, they don't say 'Commodore' either, just 'Holden', to cover all their Korean products as well.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #23
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Good on you for "spelling it out" for those that "clearly don't have an understanding of Ford Australia's vision for the future"...but riddle me this: why did Ford Australia go and do what the original poster expected - a full page ad celebrating the win. Why did they "throw their budget away on something that's not going to deliver"?

Best you spell out Ford Australia's vision to Ford Australia - can't have them rewarding fans with something they can hang on to for the price of a newspaper. You might think it naff, but as a Holden man if my old man was able to hand down genuine full page ads celebrating Holden victories from the 60, 70's and 80's I wouldn't use them to line a budgie cage. Won't be long before there are no newspapers to give us cheap but valued memorabilia.
Thanks for highlighting that. I did not realise they had put an ad in. I suppose that along with the fact they renewed their committment to V8's albeit for just 1 year, shows that they still need to appease the 1%. I am sure there will be heaps of people on this forum and out there in general public that will buy a falcon cause Mark crossed the line 1st!
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post