Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Selling a car from Vic to WA

Hi, I need some advice please. I am currently selling my car which is registered in VIC. There is a buyer in WA who is interested.

Does anyone know what the process is for selling a car interstate?

Is it the same as selling within the same state?

DO I need to sell it unregistered or registered?

TIA.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
fmc351
let it burn

In Qld, you would need to provide a safety certificate to sell registered, otherwise its your responsibility to hand in the plates. Again in Qld, Im fairly certain it also depends how old it is, if less than 5 yrs no RWC is needed. I believe in NSW due to annual RWC they can just sell them.

Vic would be similar Id imagine.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sold a car to a chap from Adelaide 6 weeks ago, I'm in Sydney.

Signed it over just like any other car. Only difference was that I couldn't process the disposal online as out of state buyers mean the paperwork has to be handed over personally at the RTA.

I have just learnt they they lost that paperwork ... so I'm trying to chase the buyer to get his details again.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sold a car to someone from SA couple years ago but nothing's changed since.

It all depends on your agreement with the seller to sell him the car with the VIC plates so he can drive it for a while until he gets RWC and Reg in his own state, i wouldn't worry about supply a VIC RWC as it is no use to someone from interstate anyway. The other way you can do it is sell him the car with no RWC or Reg and he gets a permit to drive the car until he gets it registered again in his own state.

Keep in mind if you sell the car with plates, any fines incurred by the person in his state WILL be forwarded to you.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
REVto10
Starter Motor

Personally, I think it's best to dereg/plate the car and let the buyer start the process at his end. Different laws, paperwork, rego, etc

I once sold a vic car to a buyer in nws and had nothing but trouble with the plate owership transfer, speeding fines, etc. Never again!
REVto10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post