Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
scribbly

Default Fog Lamp Distance

Here in Victoria we're allowed to drive around at night with the fog lights on all the time (not driving lights). I've noticed the lighting distance is quite minimal and when I queried the dealer he stated that it's only meant to illuminate a couple of metres in front and side.
Is that everyone else's experience or am I being misled?

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
TheColonel

The dealer is right, they are FOG lights, which are meant to be low set and of low light levels so as to light the ground to either side of the car so you can see the white lines driving in fog...
Old 15-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
scribbly

Ok that makes sense. I guess I was spoilt in the Territory where it seemed to have a greater distance. It could have been the vehicle's height above the ground that made it seem like more distance.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 15-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
The dealer is right, they are FOG lights, which are meant to be low set and of low light levels so as to light the ground to either side of the car so you can see the white lines driving in fog...
Hey Colonel, Do you know if we can drive with them on in Queensland. I see alot of people driving with them, but I am unsure if they are legal or not.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
TheColonel

No idea... I do, just about every other car on the road does, if it was illegal then surely the local revenue raising arm of the govt would be out fining every man and his dog... drive with the rear fog light on though and i'll personally come over and box ya in the nose... that's one of my pet hates, especially those excel drivers!!!!
Old 15-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
No idea... I do, just about every other car on the road does, if it was illegal then surely the local revenue raising arm of the govt would be out fining every man and his dog... drive with the rear fog light on though and i'll personally come over and box ya in the nose... that's one of my pet hates, especially those excel drivers!!!!
I hate em too, but than I also hate those who drive with the front ones on, can't wait for fog lights to be 'out of fashion' :
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
I hate em too, but than I also hate those who drive with the front ones on, can't wait for fog lights to be 'out of fashion' :

You'll find it's not everyones intention to have the front lights on...If you have your auto head lights switch set to on, headlights will often come in when they don't need to....i.e sometimes in good daylight...Well thats what i've found anyway.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
jared79
Sock Puppets

Don't get me wrong, I have been driving with the front ones on and I have passed and been passed by many cops who don't seem to care. But I would never put my rear one on, unless of course I am in thick fog, but that doesn't happen often in Brissie. I do like the look of cars with the four lights on the front, makes it look tough. Sorry Paulie0735, but I like them.

Old 15-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
monkeyboy666

Kind of related - does anyone know where the sensor for the auto headlights is? Don't get me wrong, I think that they are a cool piece of kit - drive into a tunnel or into an underground carpark and the lights are instantly on which is nice, but I've noticed that they do have a quirk. If I'm driving east in the late afternoon (about an hour from sunset) so the sun is behind me lowish in the sky but still really bright and shining in the direction that I am heading in - certainly not dark enough to need the headlights, they do invariably come on.

I assume that the sensor is at the front of the car, and that the car body is shading it and making it think its darker than it is. If the road turns and the front of the car points more towards the sun then they go off again... until the next corner!

I guess the same thing would happen just after sunrise if I was driving in a westerly direction. I might have to test that out some day.

I hate Excel drivers with their one bright rear foglight too - I guess they are just trying to be like the BMW drivers who turn their foglights on the second they leave the showroom and never turn them off again, but not having front foglamps just have to make do with the rear one.
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
scribbly

Isn't the sensor the black knobby looking thing in the middle of the dashboard at the base of the windscreen??? It was in the Territory.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 16-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
but not having front foglamps just have to make do with the rear one.
Hold on Monkeyboy, are you saying you don't have front fog lights? I am pretty sure you do. Only the LR sedan doesn't have fog lights. But you have a TDCi don't you?

Old 17-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
monkeyboy666

Hi Jared, no I DO have front fog lights and I even used them yesterday morning because it was foggy!

The bit you quoted was me talking about those Hyundai Excel owners who don't have front foggies and so can't drive around everywhere with them permanently on (like BMW 3 series owners...) , so they make up for it by turning on the single back one that they DO have instead. It looks really lame and is annoying when behind them.
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Treny
Starter Motor

Default Treny

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
Here in Victoria we're allowed to drive around at night with the fog lights on all the time (not driving lights). I've noticed the lighting distance is quite minimal and when I queried the dealer he stated that it's only meant to illuminate a couple of metres in front and side.
Is that everyone else's experience or am I being misled?
Better check that I was stopped in Echuca Victoria and was let off with a warning but told in no uncertain terms that it is illegal to have fog lights on at night unless there is fog present.
Treny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I find the mondeo fog lights don't provide any useable light during the night anyway, so I leave them off.

Also when using the fog lights in fog, remember to turn your main headlights to the 'parker' position, it makes it easier to see.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
Katoomba

Where I live in the NSW Blue Mountains we have lots of foggy days and nights and I find the front fog lights invaluable - they really do the job.

Last edited by Katoomba; 10-05-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
cammag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treny
Better check that I was stopped in Echuca Victoria and was let off with a warning but told in no uncertain terms that it is illegal to have fog lights on at night unless there is fog present.
Same here in QLD. Bloody unlucky to get pulled up on it. Nice of them to let you off with a warning too.

There is adjustment to on the fog lamps to lift and lower the beam. If they were aimed too low this could help.

Last edited by cammag; 10-05-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
cammag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
I find the mondeo fog lights don't provide any useable light during the night anyway, so I leave them off.

Also when using the fog lights in fog, remember to turn your main headlights to the 'parker' position, it makes it easier to see.
errr isn't that illegal at night!
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Only during fog you can do it...
So you would have the fog light on, and parker lights on, headlight off.

Too much light in the wrong areas makes it harder to see. Like putting the highbeam on in fog.

Fog lights should be off at all other times, and regular headlight used.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Just for clarification - in Victoria

"Road Rule 217 states that drivers must not use front or rear fog lights unless driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions that cause reduced visibility"

It would be a stretch to think that this included night time driving.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
Katoomba

From the NSW Drivers' Handbook:

Quote:
Fog Lights
Front and rear fog lights must only be used in fog or rain, or when conditions such as smoke and dust limit your vision. It is a legal requirement that once conditions improve and you can see more clearly, the front and rear fog lights are switched off.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #21
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treny
But look when i posted to the forum - April 2008! The law changed after that as was quoted above.
I still use them when at night to help spot roos. If I get picked up for it I'll just say that I drove through fog earlier on - how are they going to disprove it?
Today was drizzle & fog so I used the fogs today also. It certainly makes you more visible to other traffic.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT