Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Rusty Ray
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Towbars

Can anybody out there please tell me the vertical height from ground level to the top of the tounge on an 08 Ford Mondeo towbar.

Rusty Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

400mm on my 07 sedan with factory tow bar.
Old 16-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Rusty Ray
Starter Motor

Many thanks for the information. I had hoped I might get a few more to make an accurate judgement. I would like to buy a new Mondeo however without this critical information I am likely to buy something else.
Neither FORD ( Aust ) the towbar suppliers or the FORD DEALERSHIP can help. I would have thought they wanted to sell new cars.
Old 16-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Ray
Many thanks for the information. I had hoped I might get a few more to make an accurate judgement. I would like to buy a new Mondeo however without this critical information I am likely to buy something else.
Neither FORD ( Aust ) the towbar suppliers or the FORD DEALERSHIP can help. I would have thought they wanted to sell new cars.
Can I ask why this is the deal breaker? I think you will find that all Mondeos fitted with the OEM factory tow bar will be with 5mm depending on fuel load. I think the XR5 may be about 10mm lower does to lower suspension.

Not many Mondeos fitted with tow bars so it might be hard to get many people replying.

What are you going to be towing?
Old 16-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Rusty Ray
Starter Motor

I have a A Van Cruiseliner when fully loaded weighs 1200kg, This is not the problem but it has a raised chassis so with a fixed gooseneck there is no room to adjust the van to an approximately level towing position. Which is critical for safety.
Old 16-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a A Van Cruiseliner when fully loaded weighs 1200kg, This is not the problem but it has a raised chassis so with a fixed gooseneck there is no room to adjust the van to an approximately level towing position. Which is critical for safety.
What height do you need it to be at so that the van is level? If the van is unbraked, the 1200kg exceeds the unbraked towing capacity of the Mondeo.

Also I would suggest the TDCi for towing your van. We have the 2.3 patrol and it goes good towing about 600kg, but I am not so sure about 1200kg.
Old 17-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Rusty Ray
Starter Motor

Thanks again for your input and taking time out assist me. My vehicle of choice was the TDCi diesel which has ample torque to tow the van.
Old 17-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
PedroinTas
Frozen White Mondeo TDCI

I've got a TDCI with a full tank at the moment and measured the height as 405mm.
Bluetooth
Euro Plates
Towpack
:
PedroinTas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks again for your input and taking time out assist me. My vehicle of choice was the TDCi diesel which has ample torque to tow the van.
Not a problem Rusty Ray. The Mondeo is a great car (not perfect) and there are some real good deals to be had at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroinTas
I've got a TDCI with a full tank at the moment and measured the height as 405mm.
.....forgot to mention that my figures were with a full tank as well.
Old 17-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
rendrum
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Towbars

On level ground 400mm to the top of the tongue. This is the factory towbar fitted to a 2008 Tdi. At 1200kg Ford do not require you to use the weight distribution bars but you may care to consider same. I tow 1450/1500kg and use the bars. The overall stability difference between using and not using is very noticeable. They also help keep the front down which is particularly important with a front wheel drive. The Tdi is a great tow vehicle.

Last edited by rendrum; 17-05-2009 at 04:21 PM.
rendrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
rendrum
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Towbars - Whoops

Sorry that earlier post should read 400mm. Lack of concentration when typing
rendrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A towbar shop should be able to custom make a goose neck that will level out the trailer. I bought a adjustable hight goose neck from Hayman Reese its not on a Mondeo but I'm sure there is no problems to get what you want for a Mondeo.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
THAXR5

Has Any one got any photos of a factory fitted towbar to the XR5

cheers THAXR5
THAXR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #14
Rusty Ray
Starter Motor

Many thanks to you all. I have done the deal and pick up my new car later on in the week.
Old 18-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
ian b

THAXR5

If you PM with your e-mail I can forward pics as per your post.