Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cool Mondeo features

Firstly, an acknowledgement. The Mondeo Enthusiasts Group in the UK have a similar thread, but I though it would be interesting to start one here, simply because features that seem important in the UK, like automatic folding door mirrors, are not so important in this part of the world where car parks are sized for Falcodores.

Anyway, one of the fun things with my Mondeo has been finding all the cool features that it has. And mine is the base model without the Converse display, so some of you can have much more fun than me!

One feature that I really like are the two-piece door mirrors. They effectively remove the blind spot on the driver's side and mean that I very rarely have to look sideways to check for vehicles on multilane roads.

Being able to wind down all of the windows by holding down the unlock button has been a great feature during summer. It's surprising how much this cools the car before getting in the diver's seat.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

I really like the voice recognition. It annoyed me until I learned all the commands, but now I rarely use the buttons for the stereo or the climate control and just talk to that lady instead!
Old 14-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
scribbly

What about the auto wipers? I especially like the way it comes on when you get the truck spraying a big puddle over the windscreen. Everything goes opaque briefly but the auto wipers clear it away in no time.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
warren77

Personally I love the Bluetooth. The quality and reception is great.
The voice recognition is a bit of a toy. Find it faster and simpler to just use the dials.

The other thing I like is the Global Open / Close. Great way to flush out hot air if the car has been sitting in the sun or if I forget to close the sunroof before I get out.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
scribbly

I like the fact that I've had all the doorlocks auto activate when I drive off. It even happens in reverse if you go fast enough.
The other one is all the cool ways you can trigger devices using key or seatbelt sequences. One example is disabling the chimes for not having the seatbelt on. It's a 160 mtr drive from the the front door to the front gate for me so terribly annoying having the chimes going.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 14-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I like the way the rear windscreen wiper comes on when you reverse in the wet.

Scribbly, my partner loves the auto lock, too. Having to reverse down a driveway, it makes her feel secure when the doors lock. And apparently, one reason why Ford dealers generally have trouble finding it (amongst apathy, and various levels of incompetence) is that it's called 'anti hijacking'.

Heated seats are good for the lower back in winter. One touch up and down for the windows is great too. Still not fast enough for me.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
scribbly

Has anyone had the wipers go to intermittant even though you have 'normal speed' selected (second notch up)? It has happened to me every now and then when I stop at lights. It's almost second guessing me. Maybe it's a glitch? In any case I like that feature too.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 15-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
I like the fact that I've had all the doorlocks auto activate when I drive off. It even happens in reverse if you go fast enough.
The other one is all the cool ways you can trigger devices using key or seatbelt sequences. One example is disabling the chimes for not having the seatbelt on. It's a 160 mtr drive from the the front door to the front gate for me so terribly annoying having the chimes going.
I think anyone taking that feature off as they have done over at the UK forums is asking for trouble especially on double demerit points long weekends!!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
I think anyone taking that feature off as they have done over at the UK forums is asking for trouble especially on double demerit points long weekends!!

apstar
I took mine off. Again, I have a long driveway which I have to reverse up. Gets very annoying.

I have no issues wearing a seat belt. In fact, I feel strange driving forward without it on.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
scribbly

Exactly. Who needs a chime to tell you to put the seatbelt on? I feel virtually naked in a car if I don't use the seatbelt.
Double demerit points - what a joke. It was the extra police presence on the roads this Easter that kept the idiots off the roads not the fear of double demerits.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 16-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Waheed
Starter Motor

How do you get the auto lock feature enabled? I like the sound of that.
Waheed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waheed
How do you get the auto lock feature enabled? I like the sound of that.
Ask the dealer or service centre to enable it when you've got the car in for its next service.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 16-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Waheed
Starter Motor

ok sweet. It is called anti-hijack right?
Waheed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
scribbly

Well, that's what Dusty reckons except I thought only aircraft could get hijacked.
I guess whatever word fits the situation.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 16-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I love how in the past week, my Mondeo has become a magnet for careless, selfish individuals who feel the urge to share some paint from their car doors and then run off like little cowards without taking responsibility for their actions. Accidents happen - I get it. There's still no excuse for not owning up. And to the genius who yesterday left a 20cm long red GT stripe on my driver door, thanks for trying to rub it off - you must have sandpaper for fingers as I have fine scratches running all along it now.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #16
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly. Who needs a chime to tell you to put the seatbelt on?
I don't either it's the idiot sitting on the other side that can cost me my license and many time I had to tell that person to buckle up because the chime was going off and if I had disable the chime it's ME that cops the loss of license!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
scribbly

Yes, well I guess that can be a problem.
I have visiting American colleagues that have a habit of leaving the seatbelt off but I'm always watching out for them.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 17-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Well, that's what Dusty reckons except I thought only aircraft could get hijacked.
I guess whatever word fits the situation.
It must be an American thing. Most US cars have this feature enabled, as yanks are worried about getting car-jacked.

I got the wording for it here: http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/show.../799654/all/1/ hope it helps someone. If there's a couple of us with it done, it can't be too hard to get it done, it's just a matter of getting a decent dealer to do it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 20-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #19
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Yes, well I guess that can be a problem.
I have visiting American colleagues that have a habit of leaving the seatbelt off but I'm always watching out for them.
I thought it would be simple - no seatbeat = find your own transport
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
scribbly

Did I say colleague? Maybe I should have said my superiors. Diplomacy works better in this case.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 29-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I like all the above plus I like the puddle lights in the mirrors, the auto rear view mirror, the huge loading area, 'really' love the front parking sensors and really hate the left indicator stalk, the headlights!! and the headlight dipper switch.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Chippa XXX
XR5 Turbonator

Quote:
Hi Can someone tell me exactly how you do disable the seatbelt chimes. I have an 2008 XR5 Arctic White Mondeo. They drive me nuts. Also, I get a chime when I hit around 120km/h which drive me nuts because I have had the speedo checked and it hits 120 on the speedo when I am actually doing 111km/h so it chimes a lot. If anyone has any insight into these I would be one greatful newbie.
I'd add the rearview mirror that doesn't need adjustment at night as another great feature!
Chippa XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Chippa, you have to put the seat belt in and out about 10 times I think. Do a search on it on this Forum, or head over to the European site.

That chime when your driving is a speed warning. You can't change it. Your dealer might know how to disable it, or they might not. Probably might not.

You XR5 drivers get heaps more things that us non-XR5 drivers! I'd love the rear mirror and the rear a/c vents. Bugga.
Previous:
Old 11-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippa XXX
Hi Can someone tell me exactly how you do disable the seatbelt chimes. I have an 2008 XR5 Arctic White Mondeo. They drive me nuts. Also, I get a chime when I hit around 120km/h which drive me nuts because I have had the speedo checked and it hits 120 on the speedo when I am actually doing 111km/h so it chimes a lot. If anyone has any insight into these I would be one greatful newbie.
I'd add the rearview mirror that doesn't need adjustment at night as another great feature!
I get the chime at an indicated 125, which is just under 120 on my GPS. So it's actually quite useful for me as it's a reminder that I really should slow down. I'd guess that a dealer should be able to disable / change this. I might ask the question on the UK Mondeo forum, although it isn't really an issue for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
scribbly

Yes the dealer can remove the chime although I find it useful to remind me that I'm likely to blow to many points away if I get caught doing that speed - never mind the $$'s.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 13-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just noticed something cool about the intermittent wiper settings yesterday after spending 3 hours driving in the rain. If you increase the intermittent wiper speed using the thumb wheel, you get a single wipe of the windscreen immediately. Brilliant, as you normally do this when you can't see clearly.
Old 13-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #27
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Has anyone added satnav to the factory unit yet?

i hear in the UK they factory unit has sat nav unlike here - talking about the Mondeo XR5 by the way
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Has anyone added satnav to the factory unit yet?

i hear in the UK they factory unit has sat nav unlike here - talking about the Mondeo XR5 by the way
There's some info here (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11258965) on an aftermarket one, don't know about the factory ones.
Previous: