Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
terya1
Starter Motor

Unhappy Very high tyre wear rate

My wifes Mondeo TDCi has travelled only 15,000 Km from new and managed to transform both the rear tyres to racing slicks. I think that they have to have been unroadworthy for at least 5000 Km. The front tyres which do all the work are at about 50% according to the dealer that did a service yesterday.

Tyres are perfectly evenly worn and the car tracks true.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Only suggestion that I have received is have the alignment checked (rear and front) when fitting the new tyres but there is no uneven wear on the current tyres.

Has anyone tried to get support from Goodyear for this type of problem or am I waisting my time?

Thanks.

Tyres are Goodyear Excellence 235/45 R17 made in Germany

terya1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20000kms on our Mondeo and the tyres are still like new.

It does sound very odd that a FWD car would do that unless the rear alignment is way out and chewing trough the tyres.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
ian b

Is the handbrake binding or not releasing fully when disengaged. (Or not being disengaged fully by the driver)

How is your fuel usage as this might indicate the above problem?

My experience of FWD cars suggests that one rear set should outlast two front sets. Sounds like you have exactly the opposite situation.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure you'll find that there's an alignment issue with the rear tyres. Although having said that, the rear tyres on my wagon had worn more than the fronts when I bought it at 14,000 kms. I assumed that they'd been rotated, but I'll have another look at the back tyres in the morning.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If they haven't been rotated, the rear tyres will look like a bumpy road. The rears are thee really to keep the backend from dragging on the road. That's all As for being an alignment issue. Doubt that too. There would be inner or outer edge wear, not even wear across the tread face. . Hard to say as there are so many variables when it comes to tyres wearing. eg Road surfaces, driving style. Just to name a couple. Sorry but no quick fix
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
terya1
Starter Motor

Comments are appreciated. It seems to come down to alignment although the handbrake is an interesting option for a pair of wheels that simply drag along behind the car. I haven't noticed a fuel consumption problem. Consumption has been between 7.8 and 8.0 l/100km with 100% city driving and in the low 6's on the open road. It will be easy to check that the rear wheels turn easily when I have the tyres replaced.

Thanks for your comments
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by terya1
Comments are appreciated. It seems to come down to alignment although the handbrake is an interesting option for a pair of wheels that simply drag along behind the car. I haven't noticed a fuel consumption problem. Consumption has been between 7.8 and 8.0 l/100km with 100% city driving and in the low 6's on the open road. It will be easy to check that the rear wheels turn easily when I have the tyres replaced.

Thanks for your comments

It can't be alignment. A wheel alignment is meant to have the wheels pointing in the straight ahead position. If they're not pointing straight ahead, they will wear one edge or the other, not the whole tyre.

The handbrake option does sound more appropriate as being the cause. That's my opinion over it all. So let us know what you find.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd suggest that you take it back to your dealer to check out rear suspension, brakes and wheel alignment. There has to be an explanation - front wheel drive cars simply do not wear out rear tyres before the fronts.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I'd suggest that you take it back to your dealer to check out rear suspension, brakes and wheel alignment. There has to be an explanation - front wheel drive cars simply do not wear out rear tyres before the fronts.
Rear suspension being out of wack in anyway would result in uneven wear across the tyre face. Really, look at the brake option. In the end the choice is yours.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Rear suspension being out of wack in anyway would result in uneven wear across the tyre face. Really, look at the brake option. In the end the choice is yours.
I haven't seen the tyres, so would not be prepared to rule out some kind of wheel alignment issue. I agree that a toe error would cause uneven wear, but this is not the only type of wheel misalignment.

But I would suggest that you get a Ford dealer to look at this before you replace the tyres. There has to be something wrong.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Zetech fronts were getting very low after about 25,000 but the backs were still very good so i swapped em over. Im now up to 30,000 and i think theres about another 5 - 10,000 to be had.
Thats one thing I cant complain about. so i think you have rear end problems there. Unless they were on the front and have been rotated to the back recently?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
ajay1940

My Mondeo is fine, but my daughter's Golf GTI went through a set of rears in 2000Km following a routine alignment.
We initially thought that some lowlife had swapped the wheels, the tyres were worn uniformly across the tread, just like a set of fronts that had been hammered.
A trip back to the dealer found that the alignment was way out, apparently they'd use incorrect data. They replaced the tyres without complaint, did a proper alignment, and 10,000Km later, all is good.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
terya1
Starter Motor

An update for those following this thread.

Booked in for some new tyres on the rear and a 4 wheel alignment next week. Not sure if I will put on a pair of Goodyear Excellence (like the old ones) or go for something better but this will be determined by the results of the alignment. I discussed the wear problem with the Ford service manager last week and although he was interested in the problem it was mine and not his. Thought that problem would be alignment related.

We are not aware of any reason for the alignment problem although the car had done 800 Km before we picked it up as a demo.

I need to come clean and relate a story that occured in the first week of having the car. Unfortunately took off from home without releasing the handbrake properly. At first it seemed strange that the car had extremely strong engine braking but the diesel torque on excelleration kept me driving for about 4Km when I began to be flashed by drivers around me and when I stopped at the lights could see a glow coming from the back of the car. I had a fire in the disk area of both rear wheels. The flames were only 50-100 mm high and I was able to blow them out eventually. After a cooling down period of about 10 min. we continued on our way with no ill effects on the brakes. However, I may have taken some life out of the tyres with this event or bent something in the rear suspension now that I think about it.

I will let the forum know what happens next week with the alignment.
Old 15-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
ajay1940

I've done this, although not to your extent. There really should be a warning chime for the handbrake.
I don't bother with the parking brake any more, I just stick the auto in park.
Old 15-04-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
scribbly

What a great engine that you can motor for four km's and set the rear brakes on fire before you realise the handbrake is on. It just demonstrates the great tow capacity I think.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great story terya1. I remember my Dad doing something similar many years ago in a car with drum brakes. The brakes didn't quite catch on fire, but the smell of cooked brake linings was something else!

After 3 years of driving a BA XR6, I got into the habit of not pulling the handbrake on too hard in order to minimise the ongoing re-adjustments. So I've driven off in the Mondeo a couple of times with the handbrake still on, but it's pretty obvious with the petrol engine.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 15-04-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I haven't seen the tyres, so would not be prepared to rule out some kind of wheel alignment issue. I agree that a toe error would cause uneven wear, but this is not the only type of wheel misalignment.

But I would suggest that you get a Ford dealer to look at this before you replace the tyres. There has to be something wrong.

Sorry mate, but any sort of misalignment would allow the tyre to wear unevenly. Not just toe. Toe is the only adjustable thing on the rear of the car.

Just reading about the handbrake problem, that is the most likely cause. More than likely, it had warped drums, which is causing the wear problem.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #18
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i cant see how leaving the handbrake on could wear tyres ,unless your dragging the rears around fully locked up,like we use to with mcdonalds trays
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #19
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR2DOOR
i cant see how leaving the handbrake on could wear tyres ,unless your dragging the rears around fully locked up,like we use to with mcdonalds trays

It's exactly the same as it being an alignment issue. Alignments work on angles. If an angle is wrong, it exposes an edge more that it should.

So, it's a no win situation on this thread
Old 16-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #20
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry mate, but any sort of misalignment would allow the tyre to wear unevenly. Not just toe. Toe is the only adjustable thing on the rear of the car.

Just reading about the handbrake problem, that is the most likely cause. More than likely, it had warped drums, which is causing the wear problem.
I'm not going to make any further comments on wheel alignment 'cos you obviously know far more about this than I do.

But please explain how a warped drum can cause the wear problem.
Old 16-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #21
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

surely you could feel a warped drum ,more than likely just toeing in 5mm each side
Old 16-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I'd say the rear rotors are warped now, so as you drive they are catching the pads every so often.

Like if you do a track day and put the handbrake on after a few hot laps.

I'd get the rear rotors checked.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #23
ajay1940

Quote:
Sorry mate, but any sort of misalignment would allow the tyre to wear unevenly.
Didn't you read my post about the GTI ?

The reason in this case, is obvious. It's a handbrake issue.
Old 16-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #24
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay1940
Didn't you read my post about the GTI ?

The reason in this case, is obvious. It's a handbrake issue.
so how does a handbrake issue wear tyres out ,doesnt make sense
Old 16-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #25
ajay1940

Quote:
so how does a handbrake issue wear tyres out ,doesnt make sense
Well anything that increases rolling resistance, such as under-inflation, seized bearings, or sticking brakes will accelerate tyre wear. Taking it to extremes, imagine how long the tyres would last if the rear brakes were locked solid. They would be flat spotted through to the canvas in about 100 metres.
Old 16-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
surely you could feel a warped drum ,more than likely just toeing in 5mm each side

I did mention alignments are about angles. If you don't have the correct angle, one edge will wear unevenly, not the whole tyre.

But hey, you know best, so I'll leave it in your capable hands. :togo:
Old 16-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay1940
My Mondeo is fine, but my daughter's Golf GTI went through a set of rears in 2000Km following a routine alignment.
We initially thought that some lowlife had swapped the wheels, the tyres were worn uniformly across the tread, just like a set of fronts that had been hammered.
A trip back to the dealer found that the alignment was way out, apparently they'd use incorrect data. They replaced the tyres without complaint, did a proper alignment, and 10,000Km later, all is good.

Sorry mate, but that data story, is a cop out for bodgy workmanship on the places behalf.

Data is just a guide. It doesn't do any adjustments to a car. A human does. Experience is the best guide you can get.

A good example is the system I use. On an AU Falcon, as a guide from the system, I'm surposed to set the toe between 0 and 5MM toe out. If I did this, people would be compalining no end at inner edge wear. The place would be broke within 12 months. Experience suggests between 2 - 3.5MM toe in.

If a car is toeing in or out massively, front or rear to make this tyre wear so extreme, the tyres would scream. If you've ever heard a semis-trailer rear tyres going round a corner, that's the noise I'm referring to.

So if you don't hear that noise, you're either deaf or have the music up too loud so you deserve all you get.

I hope this clarifies a little bit. There's bound to be the knockers, but that's their problem.
Old 16-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #28
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by terya1
My wifes Mondeo TDCi has travelled only 15,000 Km from new and managed to transform both the rear tyres to racing slicks. I think that they have to have been unroadworthy for at least 5000 Km. The front tyres which do all the work are at about 50% according to the dealer that did a service yesterday.

Tyres are perfectly evenly worn and the car tracks true.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Only suggestion that I have received is have the alignment checked (rear and front) when fitting the new tyres but there is no uneven wear on the current tyres.

Has anyone tried to get support from Goodyear for this type of problem or am I waisting my time?

Thanks.

Tyres are Goodyear Excellence 235/45 R17 made in Germany
I expect it;s an alighnment problem
I get excelent life from the Brigies on my jags front (60k), there rears maybe 20k... maybe thats the result of drinking fuel ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #29
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did mention alignments are about angles. If you don't have the correct angle, one edge will wear unevenly, not the whole tyre.

But hey, you know best, so I'll leave it in your capable hands. :togo:
well firstly no one has seen the tyres

secondly theres no need to be a DH about it im trying to help

thirdly the car would be wobbling with a warped drum

im still betting on a alignment issue
Old 16-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #30
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry mate, but that data story, is a cop out for bodgy workmanship on the places behalf.

Data is just a guide. It doesn't do any adjustments to a car. A human does. Experience is the best guide you can get.

A good example is the system I use. On an AU Falcon, as a guide from the system, I'm surposed to set the toe between 0 and 5MM toe out. If I did this, people would be compalining no end at inner edge wear. The place would be broke within 12 months. Experience suggests between 2 - 3.5MM toe in.

If a car is toeing in or out massively, front or rear to make this tyre wear so extreme, the tyres would scream. If you've ever heard a semis-trailer rear tyres going round a corner, that's the noise I'm referring to.

So if you don't hear that noise, you're either deaf or have the music up too loud so you deserve all you get.

I hope this clarifies a little bit. There's bound to be the knockers, but that's their problem.
dont u mean 0.5 mm