Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
undertow33
Starter Motor

Default Engine Tinkerin'

hey all. im bored and i need stuff to do to my MK1 so I was talking to my brother (car mod lad) and he suggested taking out my stock air boxes and hooking the intake straight to the throttle body like he did on his Nissan Exa and Silvia.

i tried it yesterday but to no success as one of the screws on the 2nd air box is one of those massive long ones and it seemed as if it was held in place within the box.

also tried taking the first air box out but theres some attachment somewhere. i took pics and need help doing this. --- (posting pics tonight)

last thing, i think its the extractor cover which is in one of the pictures, but how do you get that off too?

Any other suggestions of what to do are also welcome.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st airbox.JPG (37.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1st airbox holder.JPG (50.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Bay.JPG (62.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg extractor cover.JPG (62.4 KB, 35 views)
undertow33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Thats going to suck hot air, which won't help you out with power. But it will sound nice.

Best bet is finding a dedicated CAI kit for your car. It will ensure nice cold air enters the engine, making better efficiency and power.

K&N, BMC, simota, pipercross are a few brands which may make a dedicated setup for your car.

Check the focus part of the forums and look at the guys with the LR focus's, especially Melbzetec, he has a good cold air kit on his car. It may even fit your car? It would be close, just different pipe routing.

Just make sure the filter element is either; enclosed and has a nice cold air feed pipe coming from the front grille or lower air dam or

If the filter element is open and not enclosed, it needs to be lower in the engine bay or near the front bumper, preferably with a heat shield.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
undertow33
Starter Motor

hi, i took the airboxes out today. i left the origional pipe from the wheel well in so some air would still enter. sounds hot as soon as i hit 4000rpm.

ill check out a CAI but the thing is that i dont want to be spending much money so yeah. thanks for the help though.
Old 19-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

On a budget, then try and make a heat shield around the pod out of some alloy sheet or stainless sheet metal.

Leave the air duct in as you have said and you should improve a little.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
undertow33
Starter Motor

ok thanks.