Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
drip
Starter Motor

Default Sony 6CD removal

Hi guys, can anyone provide me with a step by step guide to removing the Mondeo's Sony 6CD stereo system. Also, are there any particular tools that I will need? I am thinking about purchasing a gps/ipod/bluetooth system from ebay and I need to know how to install it. (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....id=p2759.l1259) Has anyone got any experience with such an item?

drip is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Looks the goods.

Do a search on the European Focus/Mondeo forums, should be plenty of info there.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
warren77

Interesting unit.
60 euros seems way too expensive for freight.

My concerns with these overseas units:
* fitting quality
* warranty
* integration with the factory bluetooth

Interested to hear how you go.
Are you planning on getting the digital TV tuner?
And putting the rear view camera on it?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
drip
Starter Motor

Integrating with standard bluetooth isnt a issue; my car doesnt have it. That's one of the reasons I want this headunit. I am planning on getting a reversing camera too but digital tv isnt an interest. I messaged a few people on ebay who already bought the unit and they seemed happy with the quality and the fit in their Mondeo.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The steps for removal are as follows:

1. Prise the outer plastic cover from the surround.

2. Remove the four retaining bolts as shown in Fig 2

3. Remove the antenna and wiring connectors as shown in Fig 3

The new unit will require a PDS unit to configure it via the Programmable Module installation routine.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by drip
Integrating with standard bluetooth isnt a issue; my car doesnt have it. That's one of the reasons I want this headunit. I am planning on getting a reversing camera too but digital tv isnt an interest. I messaged a few people on ebay who already bought the unit and they seemed happy with the quality and the fit in their Mondeo.
Ok. Well very interested in how you go.

I would assume with the bluetooth option I could just not pair the phone with the unit. However, would want to make sure the mute works.

Working on the assumption that the Plug in Figure 3 would include a signal for mute, which would be issued by the car bluetooth module.
Anyone know if my assumption is right or totally wrong?
Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
drip
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The new unit will require a PDS unit to configure it via the Programmable Module installation routine.

Cheers
Russ
Sorry, but what does that mean? Cheers
Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drip
Sorry, but what does that mean? Cheers
Portable Diagnostics Software. PDS is a Ford trade mark, its basically a software program the dealers use to diagnose problems and re-program keys and modules etc. The audio system in most new cars is programmed to match the on board computers. I suggest you contact the seller and ask the question re the cars ability to recognise this audio equipment. These units may be just 'plug and play' but its worth asking the question.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good. Is this the unit that they fit to the Chinese made Mondeos?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^ Chinese made Mondeo?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
^^ Chinese made Mondeo?
There's heaps of photos here of the China Mondeo http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3145. Great to see the photographer in the mirror!

They get LED tail lights and also rear vents. Does the XR5 get the rear vents in Oz? Has anyone taken the cover under the seat belts off to see if the vents are there and just not connected?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
There's heaps of photos here of the China Mondeo http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/...ead.php?t=3145. Great to see the photographer in the mirror!

They get LED tail lights and also rear vents. Does the XR5 get the rear vents in Oz? Has anyone taken the cover under the seat belts off to see if the vents are there and just not connected?
My XR5 has the rear vents. They are in the pillar.
My dogs love them - they like to stick their nose in them for the air.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
drip
Starter Motor

Righto, I've made the purchase and the unit will be on the way in a couple of days. I'm getting it sent with a reversing camera and I will upload pics of the installation and feedback of the quality when finished. Thanks you all the help.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
damonix
Fergs

Default New Head Unit.

I amvery interested to know how compatible this head unit is. Bluetooth, Voice Activation and Steering Wheel Controls compatiblity. How good is GPS, DVD and TV??

damonix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Has there been an update to this?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 26-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #16
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Has there been an update to this?
GPS software could be another issue!! you would need a DVD or CD with the maps on it and that would cost extra at least over $100 if it's indeed available for this module to load Australian cities including school zones & speed cameras and red light cameras?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
GPS software could be another issue!! you would need a DVD or CD with the maps on it and that would cost extra at least over $100 if it's indeed available for this module to load Australian cities including school zones & speed cameras and red light cameras?

apstar
If it is a Windows CE device (which I think for memory it is) than Bit Torrant may be your friend ;)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
drip
Starter Motor

Haven't got photos yet but I've installed the unit and have been testing it for the last 2 weeks.

Firstly, the fit/install:
Couldn't be easier. Unplug the sony 6cd, plug in new unit, replace fascia. Quality of the buttons isn't as nice as the original - buttons feel a little cheap. But otherwise, the unit looks the place and fits into the dash really well. When I got the car serviced the other day the dealer remarked how good he thought it was.

Gps:
It was sent with some pretty crap, outdated software/maps but a simple trip to gpsunderground.com provided me with a wealth of info. I ended up with igp 8.3 software that works really well. Great interface, accurate maps, fast response, etc. The unit runs wince 5.0 and the GPS loads off a micro sd card.

Sound quality:
Im no music expert but the original headunit was better. This one isnt bad, but the bass isnt as good as the sony 6cd.

Ipod/mp3:
Comes with a ipod interface and a usb connection which can be used with a whole range of things such as usb thumb drives or external hdd full of music. Currently, the unit isn't working properly with the ipod interface. There is a bit of a slow load time issue, but perfectly_media (guys on ebay i bought it from) have been really helpful and they have sent me some new firmware to try. Will let you know more when I've had a go with the new firmware.

Bluetooth:
Works. Clarity is good. Not many options though; no real integration with the phone in the way of reading your contacts or phonebook (this could improve with new firmware though). Pretty much just dial and accept calls through the headunit. I have an iphone so i dont know if it is any different with other phones.

Reversing cam:
Sweet. Automatically switches to it and mutes stereo (helps with hearing sensors too) on selection of reverse. Little hard to get used to though.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but basically I'm happy I bought it. Took some tweaking with the gps to get right but as someone who didn't get the factory bluetooth, it is a good buy. I will try and answer any questions, but if you do want to get one i would suggest you talk to james @ perfectly_media - he's a good guy; very unusual in my experience of ebay.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
warren77

drip

Great review.

You have convinced me enough to find out some more.
I have the factory bluetooth and want to make sure it doesn't over ride that.

In regards to the reversing camera, where is the camera mounted?
And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay to get it installed or did you do it yourself.

Waiting for the photos!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #20
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Glad to hear it went smooth Drip.

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
Previous: