Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Ford has signalled that it will pitch its new Mondeo wagon against the brawnier and m

Ford has signalled that it will pitch its new Mondeo wagon against the brawnier and more powerful Holden Sportwagon.
Related Coverage

Ford Australia also says it will use the wagon's arrival in August to help relaunch the slow-selling Mondeo brand locally.

Despite the fact that the Sportwagon eclipses the four-cylinder Mondeo on the cylinder count with a choice of V6 and V8 powertrains as well as sporty and luxury models, Ford president, Marin Burela, believes the wagon "will be a real competitor for the Sportwagon".

"Let's take our first shot across the bow with the Mondeo wagon, which is a very classy car in terms of package, performance, fuel economy and styling," he says.

"We think it will be a real surprise and delight to the market."

Ford is expecting big things from fleet and private buyers for its mid-sizer as it broadens the choice between the sedan, hatch and wagon. Both the Mondeo sedan and hatch were launched in late 2007 but sales have never fired against the heavy hitting Toyota Camry, Mazda6, Honda Accord Euro and Subaru Liberty.

Last year more than 85,000 buyers bought mid-size cars but Ford's slice was just 4872 Mondeos.

Unlike the Japanese makes though, the Mondeo's ace is a 2.0-litre turbo diesel mated to a six-speed automatic. Burela believes a refocused and more aggressive Mondeo marketing push will lift sales.

"Even a 10 per cent share, which is around 8000, may not seem a lot but it's important," he says.

However, Burela recognises the segment is extremely competitive with 27 players in the under $80,000 bracket.

Even with all eyes on the Mondeo over the next few months, Burela still believes there is a place for the Falcon wagon in the lineup. Burela says the bigger Falcon wagon remains popular with fleets because of its packaging and room.

"The fleets love it," he says.

"What we found with our current Falcon wagon is that we are consistent every single month with an order book of 350 to 400 wagons a month."

Burela says Ford is cautious over how it moves forward with its wagon lineup, particularly in relation to the future of the larger load lugger.

"The last thing I want to do is invest our scarce resources where we don't need to invest them," he says..

"We are just going to take our time and get the Mondeo wagon out there and then once we've got that settled down we'll look at the next steps."

Despite Ford's pitch at the Sportwagon, the Holden still wins the space race. The Sportwagon has 895 litres of luggage room with the rear seats up and 2000 litres of space with the seats folded. By comparison the Mondeo has 542 litres of luggage room, growing to 1733 litres with the rear seats folded. The venerable Falcon wagon eclipses both, with 1260 litres of luggage space and a huge 2584 litres when the rear seats are folded flat.

Old 26-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

Despite Ford's pitch at the Sportwagon, the Holden still wins the space race. The Sportwagon has 895 litres of luggage room with the rear seats up and 2000 litres of space with the seats folded. By comparison the Mondeo has 542 litres of luggage room, growing to 1733 litres with the rear seats folded. The venerable Falcon wagon eclipses both, with 1260 litres of luggage space and a huge 2584 litres when the rear seats are folded flat.
There is NO WAY that the Holden has 65% more luggage space than the Mondeo! I actually considered a Sportwagon, but decided that the Mondeo had more load space. How do manufacturers measure luggage space? Is there a standard?
Old 26-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
cammag

It does seem strange doesn't it.

Manufacturers do like to frame figures in a way that is advantageous to them

Not a standard per se, but in volume of water in litres. Takes no consideration of usable space. But how do you measure usable space?
Old 26-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammag
It does seem strange doesn't it.

Manufacturers do like to frame figures in a way that is advantageous to them

Not a standard per se, but in volume of water in litres. Takes no consideration of usable space. But how do you measure usable space?
Luggage space is a big issue for me. They measure volume from the floor to the top of the rear seats I think.

I looked at an Outlander which seemed to have good space on paper, but when I saw one, two big rear speakers made the space unusable for large luggage, shopping and baby pram etc.
RicOz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
There is NO WAY that the Holden has 65% more luggage space than the Mondeo! I actually considered a Sportwagon, but decided that the Mondeo had more load space. How do manufacturers measure luggage space? Is there a standard?

It's measured below the window line, and you probably wouldnt want to put luggage above the window line anyway. At the motorshow I thought the Holden had a lot more room than the Mondeo, but it looks like less as the windows curve in.

it will be interesting to see how they compete on Aussie soil. One a rear-wheel drive 6cylinder and V8 Aussie made wagon. Compared to a front wheel drive 4 cylinder petrol and diesel european wagon.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Even if the mondeo wagon matched that of the hatch (300 units per month), it'd still get crushed by the sportswagon (1,000 approx per month). Adding the Mondeo to Falcon wagon sales though, you'd have a closer race (and that's not taking into account Territory).

I hope the Mondeo does well, Ford should give it the support it deserves. I'm looking forward to seeing the details behind the update.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pitching the Mondeo wagon as a "Sportwagon" alternative is just silly talk.
It would be like pitching the Falcon as an alternative to a Mazda 3.

Sportwagon is for bogans who will fall for anything with a Holden badge, regardless of how poor the product is, and want to follow what's "in" at the time.

Look at sportwagon today - my god they look horrible.
When I first saw one in the mags I was a little disappointed that Ford had no Falcon wagon in the FG line-up but, as I said, today the sportwagon really does look stupid.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Crazed

I must be a bit of a bogan haha, as im considering a Sportwagon once my Territory lease is up. Great handling, economical, powerful, aussie made, and none of the 'euro tax' you get on a European cars out of warranty ($1100 alternators on an Astra for example).

I thought about a Mondeo wagon as it looks great and im sure will handle well. But im predicting it suffers the typical trick of a small engine in a big body, so you get the double whammy of crap fuel economy and gutless power, but I am willing to be proven otherwise if I take one for a spin. But I do like supporting Aussie industry and prefer rear wheel drive, so its maybe not the car for me even if it is good.

I guess looks are subjective, I think the Holden looks fine, but im not really known for my taste. I have never been a wagon person until the Territory, now il probably never go back to sedans. An FG G6E wagon would be number one on my list if it was available.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
SteveH
Starter Motor

An XR5 Turbo Mondeo wagon would be a good bit of gear. The engine would haul it along nicely and would look good with the sports add ons IMO.

When I was looking for a new car, the way I measured luggage space was by how easy it was to fit my golf clubs in. I looked pretty stupid at the dealers doing it, but it helped me a lot.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
I must be a bit of a bogan haha, as im considering a Sportwagon once my Territory lease is up. Great handling, economical, powerful, aussie made, and none of the 'euro tax' you get on a European cars out of warranty ($1100 alternators on an Astra for example).

I thought about a Mondeo wagon as it looks great and im sure will handle well. But im predicting it suffers the typical trick of a small engine in a big body, so you get the double whammy of crap fuel economy and gutless power, but I am willing to be proven otherwise if I take one for a spin. But I do like supporting Aussie industry and prefer rear wheel drive, so its maybe not the car for me even if it is good.

I guess looks are subjective, I think the Holden looks fine, but im not really known for my taste. I have never been a wagon person until the Territory, now il probably never go back to sedans. An FG G6E wagon would be number one on my list if it was available.
You'd change from a Territory to a Commodore???

Big problem with the Sportwagon (apart from it being a Holden) is the drivetrain. The V6/5 speed auto combination is horrible in comparison to the Ford 6 cylinder. I'd only ever consider a V8, which is a great engine, but then the price and running costs go up.

The 2.3 petrol Mondeo is a little underpowered, but the 6 speed auto makes the most of it. And it's a nice engine (Mazda 6) - good low rev torque, then spins nicely to the redline.

But the diesel Mondeo is the one to go for. I think they make about the same torques as a Falcon 6? Remember that no one buys petrol Mondeos in Europe.
Old 27-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Quote:
The 2.3 petrol Mondeo is a little underpowered, but the 6 speed auto makes the most of it. And it's a nice engine (Mazda 6) - good low rev torque, then spins nicely to the redline.

But the diesel Mondeo is the one to go for. I think they make about the same torques as a Falcon 6? Remember that no one buys petrol Mondeos in Europe.
The existing TDCi supplies 320 Nm (340 overboost) over a broad rev range compared with the sportswagon 325 or the SV6 340. The TDCi is a great drive and would not be discraced
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
RicOz

Quote:
Remember that no one buys petrol Mondeos in Europe.
The main reason is because petrol in Europe is nearly double was it is here...
RicOz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
You'd change from a Territory to a Commodore???

Big problem with the Sportwagon (apart from it being a Holden) is the drivetrain. The V6/5 speed auto combination is horrible in comparison to the Ford 6 cylinder. I'd only ever consider a V8, which is a great engine, but then the price and running costs go up.
I see the biggest problem with the Sportswagon is the constant electrical problems. If they didnt have those problems I would probably be in one now myself. The 5 speed is no worse than the 4 speed in the BF. As for the alloytec, well I know there is no comparison with the I6. I would probably consider an SS if the price was right.

Mondeo for me seems underpowered, but having said that I havent driven one. Everyone would have laughed if they put a 2.3L 4 cyl 118kw 208Nm in an AU. Well that is what the mondeo is, similar size and weight to an AU.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2009, 04:28 AM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Mondeo for me seems underpowered, but having said that I havent driven one. Everyone would have laughed if they put a 2.3L 4 cyl 118kw 208Nm in an AU. Well that is what the mondeo is, similar size and weight to an AU.
Well, that's what I thought too before I drove one. Mine usually has the load area full of tools and parts (say a couple of hundred kg) and goes fine. But I'd never tow with it, and imagine it would be slow fully laden with a family and their luggage.

But the solution is very simple - buy the diesel!
Old 28-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I am not convinced they are bringing out a diesel wagon. I will beleive it when I see it. To me it sounds as though they are only releasing a Zetec wagon variant. The diesel too seems a little underpowered when compared to the Mazda 6 and will probably be a few grand more expensive if it happens.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:00 AM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, I just assumed that Ford would release the wagon as a diesel in Oz. We've had it for over a year in NZ. Of all the vehicles in the Mondeo range, surely the wagon should be available as a diesel?
Old 29-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #17
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Some sites are saying that we will get 3 wagon variants, others are saying only the Zetec wagon. The Ford website only mentions a Zetec wagon. Will wait and see I guess.
Old 29-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Some sites are saying that we will get 3 wagon variants, others are saying only the Zetec wagon. The Ford website only mentions a Zetec wagon. Will wait and see I guess.
I've seen the same stuff. Hopeless. You'd have to think that the Titanium spec wagon with diesel would be a good alternative to the manual only Mazda 6. My partner doesn't like manuals, so there's no way I'd be looking at one of them.

I'm interested in the wagon, and if their isn't a diesel Mondeo wagon out when my lease is up, I'll look at the Territory diesel. Maybe the Volkswagen or Skoda at a stretch.

Phoonfan should be able to clear this up, as he works for a dealer. He might know what the spec levels are, but his posts here (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=16) leads to more questions.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Manual only in the Mazda 6 is not a problem for me as both my wife and myself prefer manuals.

The Skoda sounds like a great car, but isnt exactly a style leader and there are no Skoda dealers within 500km of us. The Volks is getting a little expensive for us however sounds like a great car as well and, while being far from ugly, looks a little funny from the rear 3/4 angle. The R36 sounds tasty though.

From that post it sounds as though it will be a Zetec initially then maybe a diesel at some stage in the future.
Old 30-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
Crazed

Quote:
I see the biggest problem with the Sportswagon is the constant electrical problems. If they didnt have those problems I would probably be in one now myself. The 5 speed is no worse than the 4 speed in the BF. As for the alloytec, well I know there is no comparison with the I6. I would probably consider an SS if the price was right.

Nah some of the reps at work have them and they have no electrical problems, anyway thats what a warranty is for. Im more concerned about long term durability and parts costs, as we always buy out my lease at the end so that my wife gets my old car as her new car.

Not really interested in diesels. Even though im a big, lazy, torque kind of guy ive never driven a diesel ive really liked. And again, im concerned about the servicing costs out of warranty, especially when you hear horror stories about 3 grand for replacement injectors. If it was Aussie made I would be more willing to take on a diesel I think. To be honest, im probably just making lame excuses as I really want a V8 wagon, and im trying to justify my irresponsible (but fun) desire.

Ford will have a bit of success with the Mondeo wagon as a lot of SUV buyers when they downsize still want the pratical wagon shape and maybe diesel engine that they are used to with their SUV.
Old 30-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
Nah some of the reps at work have them and they have no electrical problems, anyway thats what a warranty is for. Im more concerned about long term durability and parts costs, as we always buy out my lease at the end so that my wife gets my old car as her new car.
Well your reps must be lucky then. Electrical problems are known to be a common problem on the VEs. I would assume that not all of them do it, but I just dont need the hassle if I got a dodgy one. My best mates (I know, I know) VE SV6 has had atleast 10 warranty claims relating to the electrics. His is onto its 4th new battery. Majority of the claims end in an unknown fault. No thanks. Just dont need that.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 AM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Check out this link - http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=FOA&c=DFYPage

There are 2 standards for luggage space, and the Ford beats the Sportwagon when looking at the SAE figures. Makes much more sense.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Does anyone have luggage capacity figures for the mondeo wagon, sportswagon, Falcon wagon and Mazda 6 wagon, that are all measured with the same standard, ie either SAE or ISO.