Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Bulandgoose

Default Low Oil Pressure AU Fairmont 4L

Every now and again when I'm stopped stopped at the lights on a hot day, the oil sensor warning beeps and the oil light blinks. The pressure gauge doesn't quite touch the left side red bar and the reading comes back up to halfway if I touch the accelerator.
I changed the oil about 4 weeks ago. The store didn't have 5W-?? oil (?? means whatever it said in the manual) but they said 10W-?? would do, and it also said that on the oil container.
Is that the problem?

Bulandgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Low Oil Pressure AU Fairmont 4L

I would replace your oil pressure switch... They are prone to failure.. Can you hear any signs of there actually being no oil pressure? Or just the gauge reading?
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree, change the sensor.

Just ensure you get an oil pressure sensor, rather than an oil pressure switch. The switch is used in the basic Falcons with no oil pressure gauge, as it just operates a light.

I believe they are still available from Ford at a reasonable price.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Also, check for proper earthing. The gauges go all silly if you dont have a good earth.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same warning a couple of times in my EL Fairmont, idling in drive at a busy intersection with multiple light changes in other directions, very hot day...

The fact that it happens when you're stopped at the lights on a hot day, and revving slightly makes it go away (I did the same thing instinctively to try to bring up pressure), makes me think it's probably something you should take notice of... not just a dodgy sensor.

What series is your AU and what's the exact brand and grade of oil you put into your engine?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

done a lot of k`s? does it rattle?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Bulandgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
done a lot of k`s? does it rattle?
No, it's only done about 240,000Ks.
Doesn't make any undue noises.
It did this just once about 7 months ago when I first got it. I found the oil was a bit low, and after I topped it up it didn't do it again until just now.
It has some sort of "active" oil leak, that is, it doesn't drip on the concrete, but it slowly loses it as you drive. (There's no sign it's burning it, the exhaust is very clean).
Since I got the car for nothing, I'm not going to be spending much on it, nice though it is. (It's still far faster and cheaper for me to catch the train to work, so it doesnt get a lot of use).
I don't see how it could be the sensor, since it always reads about half-scale when you move away from idle, no matter how fast the engine is revving.
Is there some sort of oil additive (Wynns etc) that will give extra protection if the pressure is low, or is that stuff basically Snake Oil?
Old 15-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What series is your AU and what's the exact brand and grade of oil you put into your engine?

No point thinking about oil additives if you've got the wrong type in there in the first place!
Old 15-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wifes car does the same thing . 150k on the clock and has ben doing it in summer since we have had it , bougth with 120k on it .

AU series 1 . Only now and then , i change oils at 5,000 and always run 5-30 in it .

I thought about changing the switch this time but wasnt sure if its a common issue .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would try the sensor myself, cheap an easy ones first ;), if that did`nt work i`d put a cheap capillary oil pressure gauge on the motor(0- 100 psi) and see what is really happening.
Old 15-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

My motor on a hot day drops down to about 25psi on a low idle, bring revs up even 100rpm or less and pressure comes up to 40psi instantly. That's using a autometer mech gauge, so they will drop in pressure when hot and at idle.

I'm not overly concerned as its only at idle and there's no load on it when the pressures down.
Old 16-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #12
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

What oil brand are the two guys with low oil pressure using?

If it's penrite, then there is your problem

Cheers
superroo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Also, what revs are the engines doing? Are we talking very low idles, or a normal speed?
What
oil levels in the motors?
Old 16-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

imo not really necessary to run the thin oil now, i believe they ran the thin stuff from the factory for tighter tolerances, i run mine a little thicker oil, 10/30 is recommended mine, presently running 15/40 iirc.
Old 16-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
david256

My V8 does the same, Low Oil Pressure warning while sitting and after a lot of research I believe its the Volts/Alternator or gauges.

If you have a volt gauge watch the Volt gauge drop and at the same time the oil pressure drops, as my volts drop from 13.8/14 volts down to 12/12.5 volts the oil pressure drops. I suspect its either the gauges playing up or the Alternator is on its way out. Personally I think its the alternator as it plays up more when Im using the Air Con Fan on high and Head Lights.

btw I changed the Oil pressure switch/sender made no difference, so was just a waist of money.
david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
imo not really necessary to run the thin oil now, i believe they ran the thin stuff from the factory for tighter tolerances, i run mine a little thicker oil, 10/30 is recommended mine, presently running 15/40 iirc.
My Gregory's manual says...

AU -- 5W-30 ILSAC GF2
AU series II and III -- 10W 30 WSS-M2C-910-A2

So the grade of oil changed between S1 and S2. Which is why I asked what the OP has.
Old 16-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Bulandgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
No point thinking about oil additives if you've got the wrong type in there in the first place!
The grade was 10W 30, which both the store owner and the label claim will do in place of 5W 30. I don't remember the brand; It wasn't one of the common ones, and it wasn't cheap. Since I needed the full 5 litres, I simply put the used oil back in the container for disposal, so I don't have the container. I'll have to go have a look in his window.
I've been topping it up with the correct grade: Shell Helix 5W-30.
$49.95 for 5 litres!
The oil on the dipstick is still very clean, looks like pale honey, so I don't think it's anywhere near its use-by date.
Just after I changed the oil I drove the car to Brisbane and back, and it never did it once on that trip.
The other thing is, it never actually drops quite down to the left red bar, so maybe the warning beeper is set too low.
Old 16-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
Bulandgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
What oil brand are the two guys with low oil pressure using?

If it's penrite, then there is your problem

Cheers
That might be the brand! However, I tend to agree with Psi-Pop; it's probably not a real issue.
When you only have an oil light, you have no idea what the oil pressure is doing most of the time anyway, which seems perfectly fine for the vast majority of motorists in the world.
I have no idea what the benefit is of having an oil pressure gauge on a family sedan anyway.
Old 16-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Bulandgoose

Quote:
My Gregory's manual says...

AU -- 5W-30 ILSAC GF2
AU series II and III -- 10W 30 WSS-M2C-910-A2

So the grade of oil changed between S1 and S2. Which is why I asked what the OP has.
I can't tell you off hand. I'll have to look it up.
Old 16-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quickly skimmed over the thread.
I'm with Cam and Mik (and whoever else suggested similiar). Purchase a gauge, tap it into the oil gallery and see what is truely happening. Grab a sensor as well and replace it if you end up finding it reading incorrectly........or just throw one at it anyway as they do fail. They are cheap enough.
Also wish to back up the suggestion of low system voltage at idle. Do not disregrade this. It is the cause of many a non existence faults and errors within electrical circuits. Leave a car or machine idling long enough and the current and voltage draw is higher then the alternator output at low RPM.
Idle speed? Is it to low due to parasistic loads such as worn and dragging pulley bearings for example, blah, blah, blah.
Heat soak plays havic with cars and stationary machinery where it's principle design was to have movement to remove heat and not souly rely on water jacket water or some ****y thermo fans.

If you can't find anything simple out of the suggestions in this thread, purchase yourself a new filter and filter cutter. Inspect engine oil filter ............with fingers crossed. Remember, inspect the outside of the filter. Not the inner area. Filters outside in, through the filter. Cut a section of the filter out once you have the element apart and squeeze excess oil out of it (use a vice if you have one available). Open it up and read it like a book. It tells a story.
My experience with AU 4L's is they are generally pretty bullet proof and screwed together well enough for a mass produced factory engine. But, like everything, they are only man made and components, sensors etc do fail.
Let us know how you go. I'm keen to hear the outcome. I sincerely hope it starts and stops with a simple engine oil pressure sensor.
Cheers.
JC
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Walters
I can't tell you off hand. I'll have to look it up.
What year is your car?
Old 16-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #22
Bulandgoose

Quote:
What year is your car?

I'd get more details but the thing is parked half a mile away. (Which I why I usually travel by train!)
Old 17-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #23
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

I'm using Sin 20 (20-60w). Which I'm sure most of you may freak out about but its working well for mine, coming from Edge 25-50w its a lot more stable after 5+ pulls on a dyno or a few 1/4 passes.
Old 17-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Checked your earth points under neath the airbox, they cause the gauge to read low like your saying, in particular on hot days at traffic lights, the poor earth makes the gauge way over sensitive.

There is nothing wrong with running 20w-60 especially in summer.

The rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10psi per 1000rpm.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #25
Bulandgoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
Checked your earth points under neath the airbox, they cause the gauge to read low like your saying, in particular on hot days at traffic lights, the poor earth makes the gauge way over sensitive.

There is nothing wrong with running 20w-60 especially in summer.

The rule of thumb for oil pressure is 10psi per 1000rpm.
Oho. I did actually do some work down there just recently, replacing the transistor in the fan controller. I'll look for earth leads with volts on them.
I actually had a problem very like this about 30 years ago in an XR 289 V8 if you can believe that. The temperature gauge used to read alarmingly high when you were driving along, but would return to normal when you stopped at the lights.
It turned out the engine block was about 3 Volts negative with respect to the chassis, because the block earthing lead bolts had come loose! Tightened them up, and everything was happy again.
And all of a sudden the lights were brighter, the indicators clicked at the normal speed, and the horn got a lot louder!