Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #31
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Strat Squier

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Oh lordy, bad things are happening! My Les Paul lays unloved in its dark coffin, patiently waiting for me to shine the light of day on it. Its twin humbuckers are silent while the house reverberates to the sound of, (I can scarcely bring myself to say it), a Stratocaster neck single coil with no, nicht, nada overdrive or distortion. Yes that's right, its a clean tone... I also enjoy the seductive tone of the neck and middle pick ups together.

I'm having a lot of trouble explaining this to myself!
Superyob's blue's house, nice! It sounds like your classic vibe is holding up well, good to hear!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #32
CheftonUTD

Haha sounds like you're having fun with it .
I haven't played a Squier before, I got a MiM Strat about 2 years ago and it is much nicer than the Yamaha Pacifica and the Chinese-no-name-brand guitar I had before it.
I usually find myself on the middle + bridge pickups with a fairly mild gain, but the clean tone from just the mid or neck is pretty great (at least on the few things I can play decently lol).
CheftonUTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #33
xwgs302

Have fun with your classic vibe strat, there is nothing like Fender cleans!
The best Squire i ever played was an old MIJ Silver Series... The Gold Series never came close imo.
I had gigged with my LP, SG and 77 Marshall Super Lead for years but got used to rolling down the vol for cleanish songs on the Gibsons, but one day i found a 75 Vester Strat copy (MIJ) that was left out for kerbside rubbish collection and restored it! It plays beautiful now.

What amp do you use superyob?
xwgs302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #34
superyob
Banned

A Fender Automatic GT with push button presets. I think I was one of three people worldwide to buy these amps when they were new circa 1998. I am interested in a Mustang II though...

I am thinking of putting a Hot Rail in the bridge position, but I am more than happy with the neck/middle combo...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #35
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Superyob's blue's house, nice! It sounds like your classic vibe is holding up well, good to hear!

cheer's, Maka
I must admit to playing some cheesy pop as well...
Old 31-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #36
xwgs302

The solid state amps are pretty fancy these days, but in a band (loud) setting I have ALWAYS had troubles with the sound of them when turned up. Can never be beat for home and practice though.
Ever thought of getting a valve amp?
The Fender Hotrod Deville's are great or even better, the Tweed series if you can find one, are just AWESOME! The cost and the need for servicing and maintenance can be prohibitive though...
The only problem with my old 100w Marshall stack is it's TOO bloody loud at home, even with the vol on 1. Even then it doesn't shine till I turn it up to at least 4.
I think i"m just a snob for the old lead guitar sounds... eg AC/DC Sabbath Deep Purple Hendrix Cream Floyd Van Halen etc ;-)

I have heard good report on the Hot Rails, should sound very nice!
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #37
CJR09
RPO 77

I second the tubes - never looked back after getting my Trace Elliott Speed Twin almost 20yr ago!

check it out - some killer affordable tube amps reviewed here

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #38
superyob
Banned

I want to paint my Squier vermillion fire. Can anybody enlighten me on the following points:

Can I use auto acrylic paint over the original lacquer?

Will it interfere with the sound?
Old 18-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #39
xwgs302

The nitro finish common on guitars is a real thin layer so it doesn't affect the resonance of the guitar(so I heard). I probably wouldn't put on too many coats.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #40
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of players sand back their guitars for better tone, along with not cutting the string at the headstock after restringing amongst countless other things.

You'd need a pretty dam good ear to pick a painted guitar from an unpainted guitar especially sitting in the living room running a tranny amp.

I'd strip the existing paint though..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #41
xwgs302

Tone is in the hands...

Old 11-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #42
superyob
Banned

Ok, it pains me to say this, so I won't...

Oh all right! You dragged it out of me. Don't tell anyone but, I think I have entered the 80s. I was jamming to some tunes on YouTube some weeks ago and found myself riffing and soloing along with songs that I would not listen to ever!!! E.g. both versions of Funkytown and other assorted electro-pop tunes. Then I found some 80s glam such as Poison and Europe and am happily zinging along to that genre. I don't even feel ashamed of myself.

Now if I can just emulate the hair styles and tight pants.

Damn it! I just remembered I'm 51 and nothing would look right about that...
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #43
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

A Flock of Seagulls bouffant might suit who knows SY!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #44
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

A guy is being sentenced by a judge for beating his wife to death with a pair of guitars.

"First Offender?" asks the judge.

"No", he responds, "First a Gibson, then a Fender".

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both my young blokes now play guitar and had their end of year performances yesterday and dammit I got teary.

My 5 year old playing his squire mini rocking boom at noon dressed like Angus and his 8 year brother playing Santana on my '57 reissue USA Strat. Both playing stuff I could not play at age 15.

The next generation. Both getting Epiphone SGs for Christmas (one an Express and the other a G400) I had a play myself and "cheap" guitars have come a long way.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #46
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After taking him to AC/DC the other week, my boy (9) dressed as Angus for his classes Casual Day last week. Can't get him interested in playing though, he's all about sports. He's dropped a few comments about playing drums, so fingers crossed its the start of something.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #47
superyob
Banned

OK, so bought a Vox VT20X modelling amp. Have not cranked it up yet but I am impressed so far. However, I have not been able to find the preset song bank which it apparently has programmed into it. The range of effects and tones are going to take a long time to explore...
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
After taking him to AC/DC the other week, my boy (9) dressed as Angus for his classes Casual Day last week. Can't get him interested in playing though, he's all about sports. He's dropped a few comments about playing drums, so fingers crossed its the start of something.
Cool to see this thread pop up again, right as I am googling a guitar chord chart for my son (10 now!), requested by him.
Could hear him attempting an A, D and E chord before he came out for tea.
Totally stoked
I bought another drumkit a few weeks back too, and he's asked for some help there as well. Great to see this new enthusiasm from him!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #49
superyob
Banned

Howdy guitar tech guys. The sound of my Strat changes from full on to tinny when I turn or push on the middle pick up tone pot. Silly question, but could it be anything else other than a faulty pot?
Old 15-03-2017, 07:01 AM   #50
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Howdy guitar tech guys. The sound of my Strat changes from full on to tinny when I turn or push on the middle pick up tone pot. Silly question, but could it be anything else other than a faulty pot?
Sounds like that's what it is.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #51
superyob
Banned

Thanks Russ.
Old 19-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #52
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not a guitar tech by any stretch, but it could be a cold solder joint.
Before removing the pot try running a soldering iron over the joints to re-heat them.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #53
superyob
Banned

It fixed itself. OK for the moment but I'll keep your suggestion in mind MB if it plays up again...
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #54
superyob
Banned

Quote:
OK, so bought a Vox VT20X modelling amp. Have not cranked it up yet but I am impressed so far. However, I have not been able to find the preset song bank which it apparently has programmed into it. The range of effects and tones are going to take a long time to explore...
I am so stupid. I finally figured out that the preset song bank tones need to be accessed via a PC. It's like I have walked into sonic heaven. All the bells and whistles are available when the laptop talks to my amp.

On another note, my Squier has still not given me any reason to sack it for an upgraded Fender Strat. Anybody who rubbishes these high end Squiers should really play one...
Old 09-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #55
superyob
Banned

I need to replace the nut on my Squier and have read the bone nuts are the bee's knees. Is this true? Enlighten me please...

Bone nuts/bees knees. Inspired alliteration. Inspired, I tells ya...

Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #56
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Better than most polymers, but they smell gross if you scorch it on the linisher.

Have you got nut files? All this stuff is comparatively cheap and easy to buy now.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #57
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Better than most polymers, but they smell gross if you scorch it on the linisher.

Have you got nut files? All this stuff is comparatively cheap and easy to buy now.
I don't plan on changing the nut myself. I'll get it done at a guitar shop...
Old 10-12-2019, 05:40 AM   #58
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Seen these? I encourage you to consider having a go. Guitar repairs are the reason we have kitchen benches and dining tables.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an..._Bone_Nut.html

It does simplify the process, hardest part for a first timer is removing the old one cleanly. That includes paring down the heavy buildup of finish against the nut often found on mass-produced necks, and removing dead glue from the slot.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM   #59
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Seen these? I encourage you to consider having a go. Guitar repairs are the reason we have kitchen benches and dining tables.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an..._Bone_Nut.html

It does simplify the process, hardest part for a first timer is removing the old one cleanly. That includes paring down the heavy buildup of finish against the nut often found on mass-produced necks, and removing dead glue from the slot.
Thanks CB. Query sent...
Old 01-01-2020, 10:12 PM   #60
superyob
Banned

Well! I had a bone nut fitted with new strings and my Strat sounds like a host of Angels on high, singing Handel's Hallelujah.

Now, if could just purchase some skill...