Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #1
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Default Electric steering rack replacement (newbie)

Hi all!

First post here (and Ford owner). Excited to be on the forums.

I’ve bought a used FORD FOCUS AMBIENTE (Manual) 4 Door Hatch PETROL 1.6 litre, Direct Inj {92KW}, 194kms on the closk

It drove extremely well (did 20km test drive) and I love its’ style.

However, the power steering no longer works- error says “Power steer assist failure”. From bit of research- it seems pretty common...

I’ve done a bit of car work before, but I’m happy buy the part (second hand) & pay to have it installed by a mechanic as i presume it’s too arduous/requires special tools?

The previous owner tells me it needs the “Electric steering rack” (or according to his mechanic/brother...)

I’m really struggling to identify which exact part I need.

Any mechanics to recommend in Sydney or Coffs Harbour?

Can anyone help me identify which part to buy?

Anything to be aware of- eg is buying a spare a bad idea as it may too fail?

My new joy:
mcfee03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Electric steering rack replacement (newbie)

if it is a common fault I would be wary of a second hand unit as you may find similar issues
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
if it is a common fault I would be wary of a second hand unit as you may find similar issues
Ok thanks- so what are my options here- reconditioned/new?

Also, any ideas on which part number I need? I've searched- there are so many different ones and I'm not clear what model I have
Old 13-01-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
mcfee03
Starter Motor

I've also just been told (by a mechanic over the phone) that my model could have any of 4 steering rack.

How can I verify which one mine has?
Old 13-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

There are a few different racks pending on month/year/model etc. You will need to supply this information of a VIN number will be even better to narrow down which exact one you need.

Below is an image of the rack that sits just behind and lower of the engine, connects to your steering column and both wheels (thats how your turn).

If you pass on the information we can provide the correct part number and even quote to get the part as well (note they are not cheap new anyway). Once replaced they also need to be programmed to the car.

Hope this helps..

LW Steering Rack.JPG
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
There are a few different racks pending on month/year/model etc. You will need to supply this information of a VIN number will be even better to narrow down which exact one you need.
This is super useful info. Thank you

I called the dealership who gave me the part number: HV6Z3504EW.

But there don't seem to be many for sale (or any "reconditioned" options).

This is apparently that part (taken from photos in an eBay photo). But the part number isn't written on it. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DCUAA...SU/s-l1600.jpg

• Can I search by any of those part numbers as per that photo or any other name/id?
  • Is the dealership the only one who can program the new rack to the car?
Old 13-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfee03 View Post
This is super useful info. Thank you

I called the dealership who gave me the part number: HV6Z3504EW.

But there don't seem to be many for sale (or any "reconditioned" options).

This is apparently that part (taken from photos in an eBay photo). But the part number isn't written on it. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DCUAA...SU/s-l1600.jpg

• Can I search by any of those part numbers as per that photo or any other name/id?
  • Is the dealership the only one who can program the new rack to the car?
The part number in the ebay image is different to what you need. You will need to search by the part number as per dealer supplied, the HV number. I am not sure if an aftermarket scan tool can program the EPAS (Electronic Power Assisted Steering) module which is part of the rack??
Old 13-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #8
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
You will need to search by the part number as per dealer supplied, the HV number.
Hmm... sadly I can't afford a new one, really keen to find an alternative.
  • Is there another part number I can search by (eg one from the UK?).
  • Is there a "safe" way to buy one from a wrecker (eg certain from year or somethin)?
  • Any outside of the box solutions? Eg reconditioning the old one or something?

Ta
Old 13-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm... sadly I can't afford a new one, really keen to find an alternative.
  • Is there another part number I can search by (eg one from the UK?).
  • Is there a "safe" way to buy one from a wrecker (eg certain from year or somethin)?
  • Any outside of the box solutions? Eg reconditioning the old one or something?

Ta
Like the ebay pic, you will need to find that on your rack and write that number down an search via that number as most would not know the service part number when they remove the rack. The number on the rack is the engineering number.

No safe way unless the wrecker guarantees the item is safe and will work in the vehicle. Try and avoid one from a vehicle thats been in a major crash as it cold have impact damage to the rack.

As far as I am aware the electric racks are not rebuildable, you could try someone like Active Power Steering in Marrackville and they would confirm. Other than that you can do as they used to say (if your old enough) and let you fingers do the walking through the yellow pages lol!!

Good luck!
Old 13-01-2021, 05:49 PM   #10
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Like the ebay pic, you will need to find that on your rack and write that number down an search via that number as most would not know the service part number when they remove the rack. The number on the rack is the engineering number.
Good luck!
Thanks for that. Is that number visible without removing any (or too many) parts?

I presume what you're saying is that the Service Part number will not match an engineering number?

Forgive me if I'm confused- this ebay listing here says it is the same "part" number. So can't I deduce that its’ engineering number matches?

I found a wrecker with the part (for Ambient, LW model). Should I be asking them what size wheels it has (ask them to measure)?

Edit: Couldn’t I ask the the wrecker for the VIN then call a Ford dealer to get the part number? Tedious to call each time though...

Last edited by mcfee03; 13-01-2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old 13-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for that. Is that number visible without removing any (or too many) parts? I believe it is?

I presume what you're saying is that the Service Part number will not match an engineering number? It can but more than often it is not. You wont know till you read the number on your rack and compare to the part number given by the dealer which is the service part number.

Forgive me if I'm confused- this ebay listing here says it is the same "part" number. So can't I deduce that its’ engineering number matches? As Above, sometimes the eng number can be the service part number, other times totally different.

I found a wrecker with the part (for Ambient, LW model). Should I be asking them what size wheels it has (ask them to measure)? No ask for the VIN as the wheels could have been changed by the previous owner, better still ask for the part number on the rack and compare to yours. Match to match is the best method.

Edit: Couldn’t I ask the the wrecker for the VIN then call a Ford dealer to get the part number? Tedious to call each time though...
Yes but as above.
Old 14-01-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Ok cool.

Can anyone help- how can I get the part number of my steering rack without removing it/any parts from my Focus?

Also, I've contacted "westernpowersteering.co.uk" who confirm that the part will match my car (they checked the VIN). Anyone had experience with them? I presume this is "safer" than buying from a wrecker?

The item:

https://shop.westernpowersteering.co...63/FORFER.html

Quote:
Yask for the VIN as the wheels could have been changed by the previous owner, better still ask for the part number on the rack and compare to yours. Match to match is the best method.
Is there a quicker way to check the VIN against the part number- or only by calling the dealerships?

Also, I'm still confused about the part number. Ford told me "HV6Z3504EW". So should that be a sticker on the part itself?

Last edited by mcfee03; 14-01-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Old 14-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Also, how much should I be expecting to pay on top for labour- eg hours & cost?

Such as if it's a big/complicated job...
Old 14-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #14
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok cool.

Can anyone help- how can I get the part number of my steering rack without removing it/any parts from my Focus?

Also, I've contacted "westernpowersteering.co.uk" who confirm that the part will match my car (they checked the VIN). Anyone had experience with them? I presume this is "safer" than buying from a wrecker?

The item:

https://shop.westernpowersteering.co...63/FORFER.html

Is there a quicker way to check the VIN against the part number- or only by calling the dealerships? Calling a dealer or some on here have access to that information to check and will help you out.

Also, I'm still confused about the part number. Ford told me "HV6Z3504EW". So should that be a sticker on the part itself?
Like I said the part itself on a car will have a number on it like you showed in the Ebay pic you posted. Now that number is generally the engineering number. The engineering number can sometimes also be the spare parts part number, but sometimes the spare parts number you order from the parts place or dealer can be totally different. Once you get under the car and locate that sticker it will have either HV6V spare parts number or a totally different engineering number which will have to looked up to see if it cross references to your number. This will also be done to any other rack you might think of purchase from a wrecker or the alike.

To give you an example:

Falcon shock absorber has an engineering part number of 8R29-18045-GD written on the label, but the service part number is BG 18045 G so they are not always the same, but can be.

Suggest you get the part number off the rack on your car and go from there!! That would be your first step.
Old 14-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #15
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Also, how much should I be expecting to pay on top for labour- eg hours & cost?

Such as if it's a big/complicated job...
You would have as that of who ever you intend to take it to as hourly rates can differ, but I would guess between 2-3 hours to do the job completely.
Old 15-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #16
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Thanks.

Maybe this should have been an earlier question- but is there a way to verify it’s definitely the steering rack? Eg not the computer or something?

I don’t want to order the rack to find it it was caused by something else...
Old 15-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #17
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks.

Maybe this should have been an earlier question- but is there a way to verify it’s definitely the steering rack? Eg not the computer or something?

I don’t want to order the rack to find it it was caused by something else...
You would need to have it checked for codes and then correctly diagnosed because something like a broken wire or no power to the rack module etc can also cause issues similar to what you described.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #18
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
You would need to have it checked for codes
Ok cool, I can borrow a ODB 2 device (ELM327).

Will that be able to give some indication/diagnosis?

Do I need a specific app for ford to work with it? Normally I'd use Torque Pro

Last edited by mcfee03; 15-01-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 24-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #19
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can check the module using ForScan and an OBD reader.

Check the PSCM. It will report a VIN. This should match your car. If not you need the module re-programmed with AS-BUILT data, an update will not work.

My module displayed a VIN that started with 79812 and it would not work.
My VIN starts with WF0M.

If the above is true then get Ford or a friend-of-a-friend to reflash. Much cheaper than a whole rack.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 12:56 PM   #20
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
You can check the module using ForScan and an OBD reader.

Check the PSCM. It will report a VIN. This should match your car. If not you need the module re-programmed with AS-BUILT data, an update will not work.

My module displayed a VIN that started with 79812 and it would not work.
My VIN starts with WF0M.

If the above is true then get Ford or a friend-of-a-friend to reflash. Much cheaper than a whole rack.
Could you elaborate on checking the PSCM? Is that under a menu in ForScan? And you’re saying if that doesn’t show my VIN, a new rack’s programming won’t work? I don’t quite understand what you mean by “AS-BUILT data”

My VIN starts with WF0K, does that sound like the only way to do it is via Ford reflashing?
Old 26-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #21
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Could you elaborate on checking the PSCM? Is that under a menu in ForScan? And you’re saying if that doesn’t show my VIN, a new rack’s programming won’t work? I don’t quite understand what you mean by “AS-BUILT data”

My VIN starts with WF0K, does that sound like the only way to do it is via Ford reflashing?
It’s on the first screen that first shows you it connecting to the adapter. Then it scans each module. And reports any faults, ForScan showed the module de-activated for me with an incorrect VIN.

If it doesn’t show your VIN on the PSCM or it shows as deactivated then you need to re-flash and see if that works. As-built is what it was originally flashed with from factory, only Ford is authorised to do this. Other mechanics are authorised from Ford to update the modules but not to re-flash with as-built software. That’d as far as I’m aware.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #22
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
ForScan showed the module de-activated for me with an incorrect VIN.
Ok thanks, I’ll give it try when I have my ODB device & setup the software.

I should have asked before- am I doing any harm to the car by driving with the power steering failure?

I am likely to do ~2,000km by the time I can have it fixed.
Old 17-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
mcfee03
Starter Motor

I finally found a Power Steering business in Australia- who sold be a verified rack (although not reconditioned).

Now it's time to get someone to install it. I don't have the tools to do it myself.

Can anyone recommend someone in Sydney? Or is anyone here able to lend a hand in doing it? Cheers