Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #1
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Default Creating a spare key

Hi all,

I recently bought a Ford Focus 2011 LW. It only came with 1 key.

For sanitys’ sake- I would like to cut a spare.
  • What is the cheapest option (no remote is ok)?
  • Do I need to look for a specific chip? If so, which chip?
  • Can I program the key myself? Or is special equipment required?
  • Is it safe to buy a key from eBay (generic one) as long as its’ the same shape?

FYI, my key looks like this:

https://www.eurocarkeyshop.com/frd14...m-product.html

Thanks
mcfee03 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Creating a spare key

See if locksmith can clone a key for you
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
See if locksmith can clone a key for you
Yes they can, but by expensive to do ($250).

Was looking for an alternative
Old 19-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keys have a chip in them that needs to be recognized by car computer as well as the key having the right teeth to turn the barrel.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfee03 View Post
Hi all,

I recently bought a Ford Focus 2011 LW. It only came with 1 key.

For sanitys’ sake- I would like to cut a spare.
  • What is the cheapest option (no remote is ok)?
  • Do I need to look for a specific chip? If so, which chip?
  • Can I program the key myself? Or is special equipment required?
  • Is it safe to buy a key from eBay (generic one) as long as its’ the same shape?

FYI, my key looks like this:

https://www.eurocarkeyshop.com/frd14...m-product.html

Thanks

is that 'similar' to the BF/FG style of flip key? [looked at link & not sure]. if it is 'same' same ... would just need to check if chip is compatible with your car.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
is that 'similar' to the BF/FG style of flip key? [looked at link & not sure].
Not sure it is similar to BF/FG. It is NOT the one with one side curved. Mine is fatter, and curved on both sides.

This might be a better angle:

https://www.ostanlock.com.au/wp-cont...3060352782.JPG

Quote:
would just need to check if chip is compatible with your car.
Yes exactly- but how do I know which chip is compatible with my car?

I've seen guides which show a simple process to program the key: turning the key "n" times in the ignition (to position 2), then simply pressing the lock/unlock buttons on the new unpaired key. Are they not correct?

The ones i"m looking at on eBay say they're 433Mhz & the 4D63 chip, and a HU101 blade
Old 20-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #7
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turning key on and off only programs the remote not the key chip to the vehicle body module to allow it to start iirc.
How much does Ford want ?
Old 20-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #8
mcfee03
Starter Motor

Quote:
Turning key on and off only programs the remote not the key chip to the vehicle body module to allow it to start iirc.
How much does Ford want ?
I see. I haven't asked Ford, but a locksmith is $260 + (that's for the remote). $160 if I'm happy with key'ed entry/starting.

Remote isn't important, I really just want a "peace-of-mind" spare that doesn't cost a heap. Any suggestions around Sydney or Coffs Harbour?
Old 21-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Price a clone thru mr minute or similar in shopping centres
Old 21-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Price a clone thru mr minute or similar in shopping centres
why would you want a useless clone as it still leaves you with only the one key that the car recognizes ?

have two cars bought with one key for each. i bought keys to match both cars [along with matching chip] so now both cars have three individual keys per car, and it IS so easy to do. blank keys were $24/25.50 for a pair to suit BA/BF. it then cost me $33 per key to be cut [so $66 for two keys cut per car] & then using ForScan i was able to program the keys to both cars which otherwise would have cost me $144 to cut & program thru the locksmiths [not sure if that was per key or not?].

have even swapped upper column over on my wagooon & programmed the keys ... again using ForScan & a laptop.

Last edited by mad2; 21-01-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 21-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfee03 View Post
Not sure it is similar to BF/FG. It is NOT the one with one side curved. Mine is fatter, and curved on both sides.

This might be a better angle:

https://www.ostanlock.com.au/wp-cont...3060352782.JPG

Yes exactly- but how do I know which chip is compatible with my car?

I've seen guides which show a simple process to program the key: turning the key "n" times in the ignition (to position 2), then simply pressing the lock/unlock buttons on the new unpaired key. Are they not correct?

The ones i"m looking at on eBay say they're 433Mhz & the 4D63 chip, and a HU101 blade

ok, that key 'looks like' an aftermarket BF/FG key [altho i'm not sure, but the pic below it is an aftermarket flip key i believe?] & no you cannot program the main keys that way at all. i have bought these keys & programmed them to the car myself. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-tran...72.m2749.l2649

and this is your 'style' re 'flip style' - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REMOTE-F...cAAOSwIzNXOt4m but i have no idea re chip.
Old 23-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
why would you want a useless clone as it still leaves you with only the one key that the car recognizes ?

have two cars bought with one key for each. i bought keys to match both cars [along with matching chip] so now both cars have three individual keys per car, and it IS so easy to do. blank keys were $24/25.50 for a pair to suit BA/BF. it then cost me $33 per key to be cut [so $66 for two keys cut per car] & then using ForScan i was able to program the keys to both cars which otherwise would have cost me $144 to cut & program thru the locksmiths [not sure if that was per key or not?].

have even swapped upper column over on my wagooon & programmed the keys ... again using ForScan & a laptop.
It leaves you with 2 working keys that start your vehicle
But is only recognised as 1 key if you need to program a replacement engine computer or bcm and the op seems to be looking for the cheapest option and if to expensive you say thank you and walk away

I believe you will find the bf key is the same shape but uses a 4d60 chip but you require a 4d63 chip for the Focus

Don’t know enough about Forscan myself but don’t you need to purchase the extended licence to be able to program keys
Old 23-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:

Don’t know enough about Forscan myself but don’t you need to purchase the extended licence to be able to program keys

ForScan comes in very handy for the furd! ... yeah you don't need the extended licence as you can get a 'temporary' use licence which is just as goood.

as too the chip .......... no idea.