Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #631
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VF Holden

How do you bag a car that you have never owned?

Its like saying I don't like the taste of that without ever trying it.

Glad I sampled some blue oval as a Holden man....there are a few things I dislike about them but I wont slag them off for it.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #632
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
No they don't... The BA release was entirely around the Fairmont Ghia!!
And the most prominent commercial for the BA around the XR6. It was a bloody good one too.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #633
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIA View Post
This was taken what people said on Facebook!
Ford Territory Bonnet
Daewoo Epica front end
Merc Benz driving light
Mazda6, Kia optima, Toyoata Aurion Back end

Seriously the exterior of the car is very Korean inspired. Where is the Australian styling in this VF???
Ford fans with voodoo economic theories on how the less Falcons you make, the more profit you can generate, until you end up with one Falcon sold a year and make a trillion dollars, please avert your eyes now.

Given mass production involves making enough to return costs and make a profit and the Aussie car large car market is in a long term decline, they had to make an internationally appealing car. That means high spec trim and features and unfortunately a more generic design language that will work in more markets then Australia.

I agree the new VF has lost some of its local identity. On the latest Autoblog podcast they were discussing the Calais reveal and one of them joked how it was ironic that the Aussies can design an American car better than they do.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #634
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
performance fpv, yes. premium? debatable. as he's already said, power isnt everything, and if you're not fussed about power, what does the FPV actually offer? if an SS comes better equipped than an FPV, well, thats a bit embrassing for FPV isnt it? thats a 'downgrade' i'd be happy to make, quite frankly.
It is called Ford PERFORMANCE vehicles for a reason. The whole point of it is its power and performance. The same with other performance divisions in the world. Holden has no option but to add features as they can't compete for power at the moment. Reminds me of the AU days. Ford made the T series prestige because they had no answer to HSVs power until T3. It was the HSVs that everyone raved about though as performance was what was the important thing. People dont talk about M3s and AMGs for their dual zone climate control.

Ford answered their fans requests by building the best V8 Australia has seen but now they are apparently rubbish and the way people go on around here you would think FPVs came standard with an AM radio and no air con.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #635
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post

Glad I sampled some blue oval as a Holden man....there are a few things I dislike about them but I wont slag them off for it.
Agreed.

Not sure about the rest of you but I used to be a Holden man until I drove a Ford, then it was time to upgrade, I found Holden had the superior product.

Next upgrade was HSV vs FPV and for me the F6 was the superior product.

I voted with my wallet, not a button on the forums. As far as I'm concerned if that means I notice quality control issues on my car or have a sook about a feature added to the HSV's I'm bloody well allowed to!

For me competition like this is golden as it forces innovation, that's only a good thing for consumers (US!).

I like this new Holden, but I'm waiting to see what Ford's reply is before talking $$$.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #636
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chev version has 309 kw LS3, auto has paddle shift levers.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #637
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2014 CHEVROLET SS PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS

Overview
Model: Chevrolet SS
Body style / driveline: front-engine, rear-drive
Construction: unitized body structure and frame; two-sided galvanized steel (except roof)
EPA vehicle class: large
Manufacturing location: Elizabeth, Australia

Powertrain
Engine: 6.2L OHV V-8
Displacement (cu in / cc): 376 / 6162
Bore & stroke (in / mm): 4.06 x 3.62 / 103.25 x 92
Block material: cast aluminum w/ cast-in-place iron bore liners
Cylinder head material: aluminum
Valvetrain: overhead valve; two valves per cylinder; roller lifters
Ignition system: coil-near-plug ignition
Fuel: sequential fuel injection
Compression ratio: 10.7:1
Horsepower (hp/ kW @ rpm): 415 / 309 @ 5900
Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ rpm): 415 / 563 @ 4600
Fuel: premium recommended not required
Transmission: Hydra-Matic 6L80 6-speed automatic w/ TapShift

Chassis/Suspension
Front: multi-link MacPherson strut; direct-acting stabilizer bar; progressive-rate coil springs; fully adjustable camber, caster and toe
Rear: four-link independent; progressive-rate coil springs over shocks; stabilizer bar; fully adjustable camber and toe
Steering type: electric power

Brakes
Front
Type: ventilated disc
Rotor diameter x thickness (mm): 355 x 32
Caliper four-piston fixed
Rear
Type: ventilated disc
Rotor diameter x thickness (mm): 324 x 22
Caliper: single-piston sliding

Wheels/Tires
Wheel size and type: 19 x 8.5-inch forged, fully polished aluminum (front)
19 x 9-inch forged, fully polished aluminum (rear)
Tires: P245/40R19 (front)
P275/35R19 (rear)

Dimensions
Exterior
Wheelbase (in / mm): 114.8 / 2916
Overall length (in / mm): 195.5 / 5185
Overall width (in / mm): 74.7 / 1898
Overall height (in / mm): 57.9 / 1491
Track (in / mm): front: 62.6 / 1590
rear: 62.4 / 1612

Interior
front / rear
Seating capacity: 2 / 3
Legroom (in / mm): 42.3 / 1074 39.7 / 1008
Old 16-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #638
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4ME View Post

..... never drove a Lada Niva but I am quite sure I wouldn't like it? Ssangyong might make the best cars ever but I know I would not like them too! Looks in the eye of the beholder and no point in driving something that is ugly as sin.

Do not blame people on these pages to be biased towards Fords. I am not a member on LS1 because I have no interest in them as there are many on LS1 that wouldn't be a member here for the same reason ...... 1 brand forums will have their bias .... not happy with that find another forum where Lada Niva's are talked about with high regard.

Of course other cars can be bagged out with out being driven. Design, looks and preconceived ideas come into play on what people like? Naive to think other wise. They have done a good job of the VF for what it is ..... I will not ever buy one, never liked the styling of Holden or the way they drive and I am quite sure that most here would have been in a VE, VZ, VN etc to be allowed to pass some judgement ..... in a forum environment

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 16-02-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #639
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Chev version has 309 kw LS3, auto has paddle shift levers.
the american version gets a few things more then the aussie version typical really like a shark fin spoiler and metal seat inserts.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #640
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
..... never drove a Lada Niva but I am quite sure I wouldn't like it? Ssangyong might make the best cars ever but I know I would not like them too! Looks in the eye of the beholder and no point in driving something that is ugly as sin.

Do not blame people on these pages to be biased towards Fords. I am not a member on LS1 because I have no interest in them as there are many on LS1 that wouldn't be a member here for the same reason ...... 1 brand forums will have their bias .... not happy with that find another forum where Lada Niva's are talked about with high regard.

Of course other cars can be bagged out with out being driven. Design, looks and preconceived ideas come into play on what people like? Naive to think other wise. They have done a good job of the VF for what it is ..... I will not ever buy one, never liked the styling of Holden or the way they drive and I am quite sure that most here would have been in a VE, VZ, VN etc to be allowed to pass some judgement ..... in a forum environment
Once again beautifully said.
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #641
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
the american version gets a few things more then the aussie version typical really like a shark fin spoiler and metal seat inserts.
Holden leaving this stuff until VF2 maybe.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #642
rjr

It was a bit strange watching the Commodore going around Daytona today.
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #643
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chev SS looks impressive spec wise. Seats look the business too.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #644
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if its been mentioned, but the rear spoiler has been downsized simply for fuel economy. The VE SV6/SS one contributed to up to .3L/100km on the highway.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #645
BHDOGS
Banned

really i heard it was downsized to save money hence y its an optional extra now.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #646
olds

You have to give them credit selling a vehicle into the U.S market to be the flagship in Nascar
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #647
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Have I missed something in all this Holden group hugging? No ones mentioned the new hi tech donk? It HAS got a whole new range of donks, has'nt it? An all new V6, A brand spankin new triple cam, 6 valve per cylinder 9.8 litre V8? How ANYONE can compare a vehicle, with arguably the best hi tech supercharged V8 engine ever built in the world...To a vehicle that ok,has a pretty neat new interior and new front and rear clip, but still has basically a souped up 1960's OHV pushrod small block Chev drivin the wheels. It IS the same V8 as VE, VZ etc isn't it? It IS the same sludgebox 6 speed auto isn't it? Same ****** suspension? Guys, guys.. It's STILL "just" a Commodore!
And the Falcon is simply a heavily updated XK.....
We are lucky we still have both.... for now.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #648
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
You have to give them credit selling a vehicle into the U.S market to be the flagship in Nascar
Who are we giving the credit to though? It's not Holden. GM in America made this happen. Let's not make it out to be good 'ole little Australian Holden making it big in the US. Make no mistake, this car is the brainchild of GM America. You just have to look at it to know that.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #649
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=MethodX;4633192]And the Falcon is simply a heavily updated XK..... Are you sure you're a Falcon fan? Ya don't know much about them.
Old 17-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #650
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=GCRXR6;4633229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
And the Falcon is simply a heavily updated XK..... Are you sure you're a Falcon fan? Ya don't know much about them.
Dont i?
basically the far flung outpsts make do with hand me downs and limited budgets.
Way its always been.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #651
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australians look set to pay at least $10,000 more for the Holden VF Commodore SS than Americans.

The VF Commodore is produced in Australia and shipped to the United States where it will be sold as the Chevrolet SS from late 2013.

Although official pricing will remain a secret until the Chevrolet SS goes on sale in the final quarter of 2013, Chevrolet chief engineer David Leone has suggested it will start as low as the mid-$40,000 range.

Asked if the Chevrolet SS would fit between the pricing of the Chevrolet Camaro SS and Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Leone indicated that was likely.
Advertisement

“You’re in the right neighbourhood,” he said when asked about a mid $40,000 price tag.

The new VF Commodore SS-V is similar in specification to the upcoming US-spec Chevrolet SS, but it gets the bigger, more powerful 6.2-litre engine from the HSV ClubSport that sells for $66,990 drive-away.

In Australia a current Commodore SS-V costs $55,290 plus on-road costs; Holden has hinted that prices of some VF Commodore variants will increase slightly - but not much.

Despite the apparent price gouging Holden says that it will still make a profit on the 5000-odd cars it plans to sell there each year.

"We wouldn't do it if there wasn't a business case for it," says spokesman Craig Cheetham.

Australians already pay significantly more for cars than many developed countries, especially high performance and luxury models.

Holden has been vocal about the difficulties of exporting cars in an era of record high Australian dollar. Holden has partly used the strength of the currency as justification for recent job cuts and slowing sales.

Holden last year secured $275 million in government funding in return for a commitment to at least $1 billion in investment in local manufacturing until at least 2022.

The new VF Commodore is a crucial car for Holden and is hoped to arrest the dramatic slide in large car sales that has been happening for more than a decade.

Holden's Cheetham wouldn’t comment on the expected price difference between the VF Commodore and the Chevrolet SS.

“No pricing has been confirmed for either the VF Commodore or the [Chevrolet] SS,” he told Drive.

It’s not the first time American buyers have paid significantly less than Australians for imported Australian cars. The original Pontiac G8 was up to $10,000 cheaper than the equivalent Commodore when it went on sale in 2008.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...216-2ejoa.html
Old 17-02-2013, 01:38 AM   #652
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

charlie wool you forgot the Brock Polariser on the Omega and the Flux Capacitor on the SS !!!
Old 17-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #653
Anthony9five
Starter Motor

I think it looks really nice. Definitely reminiscent of a Cruze but still cool
Anthony9five is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #654
Sioso
irregular member

some good pics here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/16/2...ts-live-debut/

whoever chose those wheels deserves to have their eyes poked out.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #655
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
What size wheels are these? They look really big for a Calais.

yes they are 20 inch wheels
saw the ss gold version at eastern creek on sat
they look huge and the front wheels stick out at the sides wider than the guards
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #656
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just on the web looking for reactions from the yanks on the SS. Have to say while Australian reaction has been generally positive the Yanks seem to be really dissapointed in the conservative styling. A lot of really negative comments, still very early obviously
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #657
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Just on the web looking for reactions from the yanks on the SS. Have to say while Australian reaction has been generally positive the Yanks seem to be really dissapointed in the conservative styling. A lot of really negative comments, still very early obviously
Can't seem to find any US reviews, all i find is carsguide.com.au news hahah, can you post some links, might make for an interesting read.....
Old 17-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #658
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The wheels on the export SS are VE 12.5 SS redline wheels...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #659
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
would think FPVs came standard with an AM radio and no air con.
YOu would go and give Ford bean counters that idea...
Old 17-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #660
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2monty View Post
Who are we giving the credit to though? It's not Holden. GM in America made this happen. Let's not make it out to be good 'ole little Australian Holden making it big in the US. Make no mistake, this car is the brainchild of GM America. You just have to look at it to know that.
Everything to do with Falcon and Territory would'n't happen without US approval too. They are US based and owned companies after all.

The styling in VF is more overtly American, because thats one its export markets. Makes sense to me.

That said I can't imagine many engineers or designers thought the AU styling was their first pick for an Aussie Falcon. Quite clearly it had a lot of US styling forced onto it and then it took a pom to restyle the thing and make it more Australian. ;)