Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #781
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: VF Holden

As with VE, the base model looks dull and out of proportion, while the Flagship is gorgeous. I see Holden was a fan of the 50th Anniversary G6E wheels...

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #782
Chopped
as in chopped

That side on pic of the Omega looks distorted in some way. It makes it look woeful.

The rear shot on that Calais looks pretty good. I like that colour.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #783
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Base Model Comparo, I actually think the XT looks more upmarket and obviously better proportioned!

Last edited by SS_01; 25-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
SS_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #784
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
As with VE, the base model looks dull and out of proportion, while the Flagship is gorgeous. I see Holden was a fan of the 50th Anniversary G6E wheels...

You can see where the cost cutting is, the base model looks like it has exactly the same bumpers as the Calais, only with different inserts.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #785
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The omega looks awful. At least the XT looks good as a base.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #786
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the other hand I think itll look great as a door slammer Lol. Already has the right shape and aero. But pretty bad for a road car
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #787
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets hope the FH has more differentiation than the current model..between XT and G6E (hopefully Titanium badging)
It needs a look to get peoples attention..Chrysler have done this with the new Cherokee...
Old 27-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #788
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Lets hope the FH has more differentiation than the current model..between XT and G6E (hopefully Titanium badging)
It needs a look to get peoples attention..Chrysler have done this with the new Cherokee...
Titanium is a bit expensive, I think they will stay with plastic......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #789
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I meant, replace G6E with Titanium as in Focus and Mondeo....
Old 27-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #790
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Re: VF Holden

General Motors will begin offering 4G service in vehicles next year in a partnership with AT&T, opening up the opportunity for future Holdens to begin offering mobile Wi-Fi hot spots and streaming video in its cars.

The faster mobile data speed will first be available in most 2015 model year vehicles (released in 2014) in the United States and Canada. The company says additional markets and service providers will be announced in coming months, raising the possibility that it will be available on the new VF Commodore at some time during its product cycle. The technology won’t be available on the vehicle when it is launched in May, but is likely to be part of a longer term roll-out strategy.

Holden’s director of external communications, Craig Cheetham, says the technology could take some time to reach local vehicles.

"This is not something that will be available in Holdens immediately but naturally we continue to evaluate all of GM's global technology when relevant to the market," he says.
Advertisement

GM says the move is the largest commercial deployment of 4G LTE (long term evolution) services in the car industry.

"We're making a global commitment to embed 4G LTE (long term evolution) mobile broadband across all of our vehicles," Mary Chan, president of GM's Global Connected Consumer, said in an interview.

The new VF Commodore will come with a new electrical architecture that has been developed to be compatible with GM systems worldwide, so it theoretically could benefit from any upgrade of GM’s OnStar in-car communications system.

The fact that VF Commodore will be exported to the United States as a Chevrolet SS from later this year also makes the 4G upgrade more likely at some stage.

More: Chevrolet SS could save Commodore

Long-term evolution, or LTE, is a higher speed, fourth-generation wireless technology compared with third-generation, or 3G. LTE allows mobile users to load videos and stream music as much as 10 times faster than 3G, according to the statement.

With 4G, GM said it could include in-vehicle wi-fi hotspots, streaming videos and faster application downloads.

"This enables them to actually have the capabilities to support all kinds of innovative services and needs that consumers may evolve or may desire in the future by having this technology available," said Thilo Koslowski, an industry analyst based in San Jose, California.

GM didn't disclose pricing details but Chan said the new service would be tailored to customer tastes and budgets.

"There's going to be different tier levels of service that customers can choose and buy from," Chan said. The faster service won't be available for older vehicles, she said.

- With Richard Blackburn
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...227-2f4ta.html
Old 27-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #791
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I meant, replace G6E with Titanium as in Focus and Mondeo....
I think he knew that .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #792
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looking at the Omega makes me feel sick.

I think a cars beauty should really be determined by the base model, not the top luxury and sports versions, cause if it can look good as a base model then it truly is a great design.

The VF fails miserably.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #793
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I saw a VF Calais on the drive home last night.

At first glance I thought it was a VE Caprice.

The front is nice, but the tail just doesn't gel with the cabin.

Overall VF looks like a different take on the VE design, rather than a new car. This happened with VX to VY as well, the nose doesn't scream all new, it just looks like an alternate nose. Gone are the days when you could be forgiven for thinking a mid life update was an all new car (EF replacing ED, VR replacing VP etc)

That VF Omega is a very unfortunate looking thing. What happened to the days of nice looking base models? Eg VX Executive, EF GLi??
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #794
buggo
[BU66OS]

Surely this is an inside joke gone horribly wrong

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #795
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Those wheels look like they are about 14 inch's.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #796
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Titanium is good. That will allow supersonic speeds for Falcon. Just need to tweak the boost on the turbo and supercharged models.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #797
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There a website. Seems to be a few months old

http://www.vfcommodore.com/

Think it was started for anticipation of the VF's arrival.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #798
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Looking at the Omega makes me feel sick.

I think a cars beauty should really be determined by the base model, not the top luxury and sports versions, cause if it can look good as a base model then it truly is a great design.

The VF fails miserably.
You tend to get the feeling that the VE/F was designed as an SS/Calais first and foremost, with the base models taking a back seat in priority. If they really cared about what the base models looked like, they would never have come out with those stupid flared wheel arches. I don't necessarily agree about the base models determining whether the design is great or not- imagine a watered down, no frills version of an E Class or 5 Series with 16 inch wheels and scant exterior detailing, they would look pretty shocking too.
Old 27-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #799
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
You tend to get the feeling that the VE/F was designed as an SS/Calais first and foremost, with the base models taking a back seat in priority. If they really cared about what the base models looked like, they would never have come out with those stupid flared wheel arches. I don't necessarily agree about the base models determining whether the design is great or not- imagine a watered down, no frills version of an E Class or 5 Series with 16 inch wheels and scant exterior detailing, they would look pretty shocking too.
The AU Forte when released didn't help the rest of the brand even though the Fairmont/Ghia/Fairlane/XR was accepted. Every time the AU is mentioned it is the Forte that is bought up as the catalyst for Falcon's downturn and not the high end models.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #800
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does the Calais in the pictures features an antenna on the roof?
Old 28-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #801
BHDOGS
Banned

because the shark fin antenna is only for the americans like everything good on this car Australians can get ****** according to holden.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #802
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
The AU Forte when released didn't help the rest of the brand even though the Fairmont/Ghia/Fairlane/XR was accepted. Every time the AU is mentioned it is the Forte that is bought up as the catalyst for Falcon's downturn and not the high end models.
That is true - and plays to my point in fact. While the bare bones Forte was under appreciated, the XR6/8 really was a great design that was ahead of its time and still looks good more than a decade later. I think the same applies to VE (and now VF) to an extent. The flagships really are terrific in their design, but the need for a stripped out fleet model brings the whole range down because (unlike Ford's relatively low XT sales) Holden sells the base model in volume so that's the car you tend to see on the road.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #803
BHDOGS
Banned

holden can chrome the outside to hell it still looks like a pile of American designed dog ****
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #804
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to call it ugly would be being kind. those tail lights are dreadful , like they finished it and said we forgot the tail lights these don't really fit but we have them so whack them on.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #805
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw a VF Calais with Victorian plates, in that exact colour earlier picture above, tonight on the Central Coast NSW. Would that be the only evaluation prototype running around like that?
Really random, Like at a roundabout less than 500 m from my house!

Anyway my 'valuable' 2c: The grille was the first thing that hit the eye, initially I thought it was an Insignia, but then, as I realised it looked like something I've only seen in internet pictures, it looked interesting, but very understated and then bland as it went past. Proportions aren't great, and the rear tail end treatment looks better in photos.
As for the Omega, I think it kind of works the same way a Falcon XT works, as an understated, handsome anonymous car.
Definately an opportunity with FU to trump VF, which might be the result of trillions of US clinics ( I bet it will be a great drive though).
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #806
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah that looks fantastic....not
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #807
Uwish

That looks a lot better than any ford dash atm.
Especially the Falcon.
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #808
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Holden said they want to move away from base fleet sales... Make the car ugly and bobs your uncle, however I dont think fleets really care about looks, more about fuel economy etc.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #809
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
That looks a lot better than any ford dash atm.
Especially the Falcon.
The only issue with the Falcon dash is the quality of the plastics and other components and how they all fit together. Improve that it and they won't be far off if not on par with the VF Calais.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #810
anto
Za Dom spremni

what is Holdens infatuation with oversized knobs and dials on the dash ?

Another thing I always wondered was why is the hazard light always prominent in the centre, how often does anyone ever actually use it ? its like that in a friends VZ as well which I thought was really odd.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post