Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the verdict? .... Yes or No. Pick 1 of each.
EXTERIOR - YES 172 46.11%
EXTERIOR - NO 189 50.67%
INTERIOR - YES 273 73.19%
INTERIOR - NO 93 24.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #811
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: VF Holden

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
what is Holdens infatuation with oversized knobs and dials on the dash ?

Another thing I always wondered was why is the hazard light always prominent in the centre, how often does anyone ever actually use it ? its like that in a friends VZ as well which I thought was really odd.
A lot of makes and models (if not all) have the hazard button in the centre. I much prefer it there.
The B series Falcons had it in an awkward place.
Old 28-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #812
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

It's often in the centre with cars that are sold as left and right hand drive, saves changing the dash layout.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #813
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
That looks a lot better than any ford dash atm.
Especially the Falcon.
I am not so sure on that. I will say the materials look a lot nicer for sure, the suede-like material looks nice in VF, and the quality of plastics etc. better. A GT-E below for comparison.

The steering wheel and main instrument surround is the most dated part of the Falcon interior. With some nicer surfaces and some tweaks around the main instrument binnacle I think it could be modernised greatly without going too fisher-price.

And the VF centre pic for comparison purposes.
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #814
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The Falcons got a better looking screen... The one they have put in the Commodore looks like something out of the Jetsons!! Lol!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #815
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

The design of the interface (icons, etc) looks cheap and nasty
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #816
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
That looks a lot better than any ford dash atm.
Especially the Falcon.
in your opinion

in my opinion its ******* ugly
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #817
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
in your opinion

in my opinion its ******* ugly
And how often do you buy a new car?

I find new car buyers think very differently to second hand car buyers, and in my instance I find the VF interior to be leap and bounds better than the Fords current offering … and yes my last 3 cars where all brand new Falcons.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #818
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100 View Post
And how often do you buy a new car?

I find new car buyers think very differently to second hand car buyers, and in my instance I find the VF interior to be leap and bounds better than the Fords current offering … and yes my last 3 cars where all brand new Falcons.
What has how often and whether its a new or second hand purchase got to do with if you like it or not

If you like you might buy if you don't like you might not
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #819
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes and you know what the biggest issue with your 80k GT-E interior is? Well its looks exactly the same as a 35K XR6 limited edition interior … in fact the limited edition XR cars have a much nicer looking black glossy trim inserts (also used in the GT-Rspec) instead of that old fashioned wood grain look.

Holden have done the absolute right thing here to try and differentiate the low-end/premium models significantly. Premium buyers this time actually get a premium car, rather than a base model with an option or two thrown in like what Ford has been doing in the FG …

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I am not so sure on that. I will say the materials look a lot nicer for sure, the suede-like material looks nice in VF, and the quality of plastics etc. better. A GT-E below for comparison.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #820
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly … it’s a base model people aimed at fleets only … fleets only care about price, fuel economy, emissions, and safety … looks or prestige has nothing to do with it …

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Holden said they want to move away from base fleet sales... Make the car ugly and bobs your uncle, however I dont think fleets really care about looks, more about fuel economy etc.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #821
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I disagree on the black inserts Dimka, they look crap in my opinion, even when new, and after a few months would look I think disastrous.

And I like the woodgrain look (and no I am not that old, only turned 40 a few weeks ago), I appreciate it every time I get into the car.

The fact that the XR6 limited gets a similar interior is awesome, what a great package for the money. The XR6 edition really does make the normal GT and the RSpec interior look really pox in comparison. FPV really need to do something there.

I love my GT-E interior more than I ever imagined. As I mentioned above the major falldown I reckon is the steering wheel design and also the somewhat dated binnacle above the instruments, along with some tacky plastics here and there. Something that would not take too much to improve and bring up to date. The materials used in the VF interior look much better quality, as I stated earlier.

And I am no flag waving fan-boy defending my purchase decision, I assure you. As any long term reader of my posts will clearly attest. I have absolutely no qualm in discussing any shortcomings I find in the six new Fords (3 were FPV) we have owned from BA onwards.

Last edited by mcnews; 28-02-2013 at 12:55 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #822
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
The only issue with the Falcon dash is the quality of the plastics and other components and how they all fit together. Improve that it and they won't be far off if not on par with the VF Calais.
Could you explain the bold part a bit more, as am not sure I understand where you are going with that one? The 'fit together', as in, how it is built & physically put together to 100% perfect in my FG Falcon & was on my brothers FG he use to own. So I don’t think this is an area that needs great improving.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #823
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I seen a new VEII Omega today with mudflaps... How dated the car looks now... and those silly big flared guards, I never really took much notice, but now it all stands out.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #824
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the glossy black inserts require more maintenance effort to keep them looking like new … mine are 4 months old now and still look brand new 

I disagree about your comment however about the look however as everyone that sat in my car so far has specifically commented about how fresh and modern the glassy black finish looks.

Unfortunately I can’t find a good picture online to compare …

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I disagree on the black inserts Dimka, they look crap in my opinion, even when new, and after a few months would look I think disastrous.

And I like the woodgrain look, I appreciate it every time I get into the car.

The fact that the XR6 limited gets a similar interior is awesome, what a great package for the money. The XR6 edition really does make the normal GT and the RSpec interior look really pox in comparison.

I love my GT-E interior more than I ever imagined. As I mentioned above the major falldown I reckon is the steering wheel design and also the somewhat dated binnacle above the instruments, along with some tacky plastics here and there. Something that would not take too much to improve and bring up to date. The materials used in the VF interior look much better quality, as I stated earlier.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #825
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It would be cool if they used a buttonless touch panel for the high series FU's, like the new Lincolns.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #826
mcnews
Trev

It is interesting to hear the feedback from people getting in your car for the first time. The last couples I have taken out to dinner in the car etc. could not believe that the car was a Falcon.......

How bad is that statement for the current standing of Falcon as a brand though...... That they couldn't believe they were in a Falcon because it was so nice.... Unfortunately this is what Ford is up against................. This will be the primary driver for the early than deserved demise of the Falcon, no matter what Ford do, there is probably no coming back from a brand (Falcon) that is tarnished so badly in the eyes of the average punters.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #827
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Could you explain the bold part a bit more, as am not sure I understand where you are going with that one? The 'fit together', as in, how it is built & physically put together to 100% perfect in my FG Falcon & was on my brothers FG he use to own. So I don’t think this is an area that needs great improving.
I thought it was quite clear. The fit and finish of the dash and console (and where the two meet) is average at best.

It is good that you're happy with that standard of workmanship but I for one would not be. The gaps, sharp edges and general lack of fit in many cars I have been in doesn't inspire any confidence that quality is of high priority.
Old 28-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #828
anto
Za Dom spremni

you mean like this 2012 VE sport wagon trim ? damn near cut myself on the rough edge. Talk about cheap plastics and finish, they needed to up their game big time imo.
FG trim has always been miles ahead in fit and finish and every FG Ive ever been ihas been rather good in that regard..

AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #829
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
It would be cool if they used a buttonless touch panel for the high series FU's, like the new Lincolns.
While it may be "cool" it certainly isn't user friendly.
Tactical feedback is important when trying to keep your eyes on the road, and plenty of people on here have complained about how much less intuitive the FG dash is compared to the BA it terms of being able to feel for things without taking their eyes off the road. A touch panel would do nothing to help.

It's great how the VF dash has so many knobs, as you can feel for any of them and, after some time, know exactly what they do without looking.
Old 28-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #830
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
It's great how the VF dash has so many knobs, as you can feel for any of them and, after some time, know exactly what they do without looking.
VE's are full of knobs too
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #831
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All cars have it in the centre since about 10 Years ago, it must be a legal requirement in some or all countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
what is Holdens infatuation with oversized knobs and dials on the dash ?

Another thing I always wondered was why is the hazard light always prominent in the centre, how often does anyone ever actually use it ? its like that in a friends VZ as well which I thought was really odd.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #832
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon View Post
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #833
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

That interface is a real shocker. Look at Cadillac's most recent system, what a difference some half decent icons and background makes. Holden have always struggled to make a decent looking interface, I thought the same thing when Holden IQ came out, it looked like rubbish, whereas Ford's system in FG, FGII and Territory is so much smoother in comparison. VF's interface looks like it could have come out in 2002.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #834
EFFalcon
Last warning

the VF screen interface looks like a cheap ebay DVD player.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #835
mcnews
Trev

Quote:
the VF screen interface looks like a cheap ebay DVD player.
I think you are spot on there, it looks very much like the screen on an Archos handheld video player I bought about ten years ago!
Old 28-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #836
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it wrong for me to want to press the Pandora icon on the caddy's screen.
Just to see what it opens.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #837
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

That interface is a real shocker. Look at Cadillac's most recent system, what a difference some half decent icons and background makes. Holden have always struggled to make a decent looking interface, I thought the same thing when Holden IQ came out, it looked like rubbish, whereas Ford's system in FG, FGII and Territory is so much smoother in comparison. VF's interface looks like it could have come out in 2002.

Agreed. Its the irregular shaped buttons and complicated knobs on the VF would make it very user unfriendly. Trying to find what you want with your eyes on the road could be quite difficult.

The much more organised and regular shaped buttons on the FG are very easy to use. The Cadillac looks even better.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #838
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ooer the centre stack on that Caddy is nice.

I think the problem with the VF one is that the screen and the HVAC controls appear detached and sit oddly next to each other, but the way the centre stack has been styled they have tried to push them together, but keep the functions separate. It looks odd.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #839
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Is that the driver and passengers? ... Aghhh that's right, you mean the instruments.
Old 28-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #840
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree that the interface on the VF is pretty ordinary, but the overall design of the centre stack is so far ahead of the FG its not funny. I've always thought the FG was a horrible mess of a design, the air vents under the screen look cheap and rubbish, the buttons are barely decipherable and all clustered together - looks ugly and must be damn hard to use when driving. I quite like most other aspects of the FG interior, but that centre stack is a disaster.

The VF on the other hand, has protruding, large, clearly marked dials and knobs that would be easy to use while driving, especially the audio controls being on that upwards angle, would make adjustments while driving much easier. Separate HVAC controls with dials for temp look great in the VF.

Just my opinion of course...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: