Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
JohnnyN
Starter Motor

Default AU 3 Falcon misfirng only when warm

My 2002 AU3 has developed a fault where it starts to misfire badly, but only when up to running temperature.

I've cleaned the throttle body and the sensor thing in there... next step is probably to replace the coil pack, etc.

Just wondering why it would only do this when warm?

Really bad misfire, too - sounds like an old Russian tractor, and shudders like a crapping dog's tail.

Anything else I should check before the coil pack? I've done that once before and I remember wishing many unpleasant things on the 'designer' who put the damn thing where it is!

Cheers
JohnnyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AU 3 Falcon misfirng only when warm

You are probably on the right track.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyN View Post
My 2002 AU3 has developed a fault where it starts to misfire badly, but only when up to running temperature.

I've cleaned the throttle body and the sensor thing in there... next step is probably to replace the coil pack, etc.

Just wondering why it would only do this when warm?

Really bad misfire, too - sounds like an old Russian tractor, and shudders like a crapping dog's tail.

Anything else I should check before the coil pack? I've done that once before and I remember wishing many unpleasant things on the 'designer' who put the damn thing where it is!

Cheers
It will more than likely be your coil pack. As with anything electrical, they don't like heat. Essentially, when your motor gets warm/hot the electronics of the coil pack start playing up.

Get yourself a very long extension bar with a 3/8 drive. It will make the job ten times easier. The last coil pack I did took me about 15 minutes.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also check the knock sensor (mounted on the inlet side of the engine block near number 5 cylinder) has not come loose and has more than 10,000 ohms resistance across it's two terminals. Also check that both the crankshaft position and camshaft position sensors near the harmonic balancer are firmly attached, clean and oil free with and sound wiring harnesses.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Yeah I had a similar problem, was the coil. Trust me the coil is easy, try doing the inlet manifold gasket!

I replaced the knock sensor due to an error code, but it was fine. Do check it's tight though.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: