Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Road Trip Advice/Suggestions/Thoughts

If the OP uses Glympse to share his travels, we can all watch him in real time.

p.s. Crookwell Public School Concert Day
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #32
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
If it was me I'd be sticking to the 2015 route.............but I'm a sook and hitting a roo out in the back blocks between Crookwell and Caloola with possibly no phone service would scare me.
Not to mention random banjo players
I'd be more concerned about rabid drop bears.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Like the Bundy ad, where Bundy Bear caused the Swedish backpackers to run into the blokes’ tent?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Those ones around Crookwell-Gunning region are much worst though.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #35
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Take the Taralga rd at Taralga and then get on the Abercrombie rd to go through Oberon. It's a good route.

Last time I went through Tuena to Bathurst there was 2 or 3 sections of dirt.
That was 5 or 6 years ago though.
^^^^ I'd second this ^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #36
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Take the Taralga rd at Taralga and then get on the Abercrombie rd to go through Oberon. It's a good route.
The Crookwell to Taralga road is what I'm planning to take on my trip to Newcastle in November, so am pretty keen to take a different path this time.

Quote:
Last time I went through Tuena to Bathurst there was 2 or 3 sections of dirt.
That was 5 or 6 years ago though
Google maps is showing that the road is now all sealed. Interestingly, if you use streetview on that road, there's sections of dirt, including at the entrance to the Abercrombie caves. However, if you streetview on the entrance road, it shows both roads as being sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
If it was me I'd be sticking to the 2015 route.............but I'm a sook and hitting a roo out in the back blocks between Crookwell and Caloola with possibly no phone service would scare me.

Not to mention random banjo players
I'm heading through in daylight (aiming to get into Bathurst around 6pm), so figured the risk of hitting something would be pretty small? I'm certainly not going to be blasting through these areas on roads that may not be smooth as a billiard table.

Banjo players? Now that's something I hadn't catered for. Living in these parts, I think I should be pretty accustomed to getting my way out of a pickle

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #37
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

In nimmatabel for lunch. Great trip so far. Really enjoyed the 'spirited' driving I was afforded without the family, heading north along the cann valley out of cann River. And I had the road to myself which made it much better.

Next stop, Canberra for fuel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
In nimmatabel for lunch. Great trip so far. Really enjoyed the 'spirited' driving I was afforded without the family, heading north along the cann valley out of cann River. And I had the road to myself which made it much better.

If your'e buying fuel in the ACT be prepared to use all your credit cards
Old 10-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
If your'e buying fuel in the ACT be prepared to use all your credit cards
Thursday afternoon, by the time he gets there, everyone will have left for their long weekends and everything will be closed.

Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #40
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Checked on the woollies fuel app and 95 at Canberra Airport servo was cheaper than either home or coona. Bathurst is a little cheaper tho.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Checked on the woollies fuel app and 95 at Canberra Airport servo was cheaper than either home or coona. Bathurst is a little cheaper tho.
Your taking the Sutton, Gundaroo, (to Gunning) exit right ?

Old 10-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #42
hayseed

Quote:

The Bakery at Nimmatebel has a Great reputation... (The Pub's not bad either)
Cheapest place to Buy Fuel in Canberra is At the Costco at the Airport (provided you're Member that is)
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #43
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other week same day.
Canberra 1.50
Albury 1.35
Melbourne 1.65
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #44
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Decided to resurrect an old thread instead of creating a new one.

So, a quick background update:
  • I never ended up going to Newcastle. Original plan to go for Supercars got thwarted by waking up one day with no hearing in my right ear. As a result of the sudden loss of hearing, I ended up being rather dizzy and not in a position to drive anywhere. After a prolonged period of getting this looked into, I have lost all hearing in my right ear, most likely permanently.
  • Was planning to head up to visit my mate in Newcastle in March. Of course, covid got in the way, and that never eventuated either.
  • Next plan was to head up there in July. Again thwarted by covid.
  • Caught up with another mate/work colleague a couple of weeks back to find him taking a week off with some mates and going on a holiday through country Vic
  • Got me thinking that I need a break, too. Country Vic holiday seemed like a good idea, especially as I haven't really explored western Vic much. Ran the idea past the daughter that on the week I have her over the upcoming school holidays, we'll throw the bikes and a bag of clothes each into the back of the ute and head off for the week.No real plan, just see where we end up.
  • That plan is most likely going to be thwarted by covid again

However, once the restrictions are lifted, I think I'll head off, even if it is just by myself. So, I'm after some ideas of good drives and/or places to visit in western Vic.

Accommodation is flexible, but no camping. Hotel/motel/cabin/b&b all good. Just want some nice places to visit.

Grampians would be good as I've never been there before. I've heard the Little Desert is worth a visit, too?

Happy for any suggestions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #45
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Reviving an old thread here as I'm about to attempt to make the trip that I posted in the OP, altho I have altered it slightly to head to the west of Lake Hume rather than to the east. I think I'll also stop overnight in Harden rather than Gundagai, as it is probs a bit more convenient for me.

Last October I headed back home from Bathurst along the Abercombe Rd / Taralga Road and the road was in shocking condition, especially south of the Abercombe River. It was bad enough in the ute; there's no way I'd consider taking the XR8 along that road in that condition.

Anyone travelled along any of the roads on this route recently and able to provide some feedback on road conditions? Has there been substantial work on the roads network in NSW snice the floods last year?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-03-2023, 03:54 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Reviving an old thread here as I'm about to attempt to make the trip that I posted in the OP, altho I have altered it slightly to head to the west of Lake Hume rather than to the east. I think I'll also stop overnight in Harden rather than Gundagai, as it is probs a bit more convenient for me.

Last October I headed back home from Bathurst along the Abercombe Rd / Taralga Road and the road was in shocking condition, especially south of the Abercombe River. It was bad enough in the ute; there's no way I'd consider taking the XR8 along that road in that condition.

Anyone travelled along any of the roads on this route recently and able to provide some feedback on road conditions? Has there been substantial work on the roads network in NSW snice the floods last year?
Seeing as you're taking mostly back roads I'd say that they wouldn't be any better (they're not around here anyway)

Most councils will be spending their money on main roads, little used ones are at the bottom of the repair list to get money spent on.

Last edited by GasoLane; 01-03-2023 at 05:57 PM.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #47
stock1991
Limited supply

Take the main highways, you can cruise comfortably at top speed, and if you want to detour for a scenic route you can always rejoin the highway after. Seeing as you are concerned about damage to your car. I took a trip adelaide to alice couple of years ago. It was brutal hitting cattle grids at 110km, in a 30-year-old car. Fortunately, no harm done but I wouldn't have taken the route if I had known the beating it would take.
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #48
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Seeing as you're taking mostly back roads I'd say that they wouldn't be any better (they're not around here anyway)

Most councils will be spending their money on main roads, little used ones are at the bottom of the repair list to get money spent on.
Thanks Gaso. I wasn't sure if it might be the other way around, ie because those roads have less traffic, there'd be less potholes (which are primarily caused by the amount of traffic). As you say tho, once formed, the chances of repair on a back road would be less.

As an example, I travelled along the Snowy River Way (not even categorised) from just north of Bombala through to Dalgety, then the Dalgety Road through to Berridale and then on the Kosciuszko Road through to Jindabyne on our trip last weekend. Whilst there were numerous potholes along the Snowy River Way, I'd happily traverse that in the XR8 with the current conditions as the holes weren't that aplenty and those that were there were easily avoidable.

Conversely, the Monaro Highway (a B designated road) was appalling, especially on the Vicco side. I'd be concerned about driving the XR8 along there in the current state.

And, on my trip to Bathurst last year, I went up via Canberra, Gundaroo, Gunning, Turena, etc. The WORST part of that trip, road condition wise, was the section from Sutton to Gundaroo. There was literally more potholes than bitumen on that stretch. When I got to Gundaroo, it was obvious why; all of the Canberra-ites were heading up there for day trips. The place was packed! Traffic volume clearly played a part in the road conditions there!

I was hoping that someone on here may have travelled the roads recently and would be able to give me an actual condition report.

I'm pretty comfortable that the drive through to the Vic/NSW border should be ok as well as from Oberon through to Gosford, but am most concerned about the trip Jingellic/Tumbarumba/Tumut/Gundagai/Harden/Boorowa/Taralga/Oberon. If anyone has any recent condition reports, that would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at the map, I have numerous exit strategies available to me. For the lower section of road in NSW, I can bail out and head north to the Hume. For the area around Crookwell, I can either head south and join the Hume, or traverse across to the road heading north through Tuena (which was fine to drive last October) and head on into Bathurst and then east towards Sydney from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991
Take the main highways, you can cruise comfortably at top speed, and if you want to detour for a scenic route you can always rejoin the highway after. Seeing as you are concerned about damage to your car. I took a trip adelaide to alice couple of years ago. It was brutal hitting cattle grids at 110km, in a 30-year-old car. Fortunately, no harm done but I wouldn't have taken the route if I had known the beating it would take.
Yeah, but there's no fun in that. I've been planning this trip for about four years now, so am pretty keen to get onto some roads, and into areas, I've never been before. I have no real time pressures, so am happy to meander a bit rather than go straight-line with side trips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 02-03-2023 at 10:41 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
As an example, I travelled along the Snowy River Way (not even categorised) from just north of Bombala through to Dalgety, then the Dalgety Road through to Berridale and then on the Kosciuszko Road through to Jindabyne on our trip last weekend.
The Dalgety - Berridale -Cooma Rd is a lot more 'interesting' in Winter, when you need to frequently stop to clear the ice from the air intakes

Old 02-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Has there been substantial work on the roads network in NSW snice the floods last year?
That's a no from me.

Old 02-03-2023, 09:41 PM   #51
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@AUDI View Post
Suggestions eh?

Newcastle eh?

Flanno, uggies and blue singlet top!
Sorry it ain’t 1987 anymore.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 07:53 AM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Sorry it ain’t 1987 anymore.
Not far off from what I saw.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:37 AM   #53
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
That's a no from me.
Hmm, that doesn't sound very promising, RW!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-03-2023, 08:39 AM   #54
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound very promising, RW!
You'll be fine, you're in a car. Except on the stupid concrete freeways. bump, b bump, b bump, b bump, JJJ Jive talking.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:49 AM   #55
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You'll be fine, you're in a car. Except on the stupid concrete freeways. bump, b bump, b bump, b bump, JJJ Jive talking.
More the 19s I'm concerned about. Some of the potholes I saw in October would eat the entire wheel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #56
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Stay home and hide under the doona.

Could you put 17s on for the trip? I don’t believe 16” will clear your brakes.

I used to like the run between Harden and Crookwell via Boorowa, always hoped to see the HWP soon into the journey. ;-) Road was better via Rugby but I’d sometimes go via Rye Park and Wheeo out if perversity.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 03-03-2023 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Scaramouche, Scaramouche
2 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
More the 19s I'm concerned about. Some of the potholes I saw in October would eat the entire wheel
Last year I put the old man's Fiesta ST on 205/40R17 rubber through 4000km in 12 days but coastal NSW, I put it through hell that's Manning Valley's roads, that alone I was surprised I didn't damage a wheel their roads have to be the worst in the country

Me being the absolute Mensa candidate I am, got caught up in the tail end of the more recent northern NSW floods on the way back and decided to wing it, followed the GPS and took it through some dodgy AF dirt track near the QLD/NSW border with a muddy creek crossing and took it down the B91 trying to beat the weather, took on dodgy fuel in Casino and then managed to limp through flooded roads between Casino and Grafton by tail gating some young family in a Kia Carnival trying to work their way back to Sydney

The mighty Falcon, she's made for this country and it's goat tracks, I reckon she'll be alright on the 19s
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 11:16 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The Dalgety - Berridale -Cooma Rd is a lot more 'interesting' in Winter, when you need to frequently stop to clear the ice from the air intakes
A smart driver would have undone the 10mm worm clip on the air scoop and turned it 180 deg.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
A smart driver would have undone the 10mm worm clip on the air scoop and turned it 180 deg.
Yeah right, on both sides when it's probably frozen into place not to mention trying to ballance on an icy air filter, bonnet and guard and I'd be out of the fog in 40mins
Old 03-03-2023, 11:59 AM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yeah right, on both sides when it's probably frozen into place not to mention trying to ballance on an icy air filter, bonnet and guard and I'd be out of the fog in 40mins
Surely you can reach them from the tank steps. and yet you got out several times during the trip to clean them.