Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I have a great spare car idea!!!!!!!!!!

When i was an apprentice Diesel Mech 25 years ago one of the qualified (great funny old bugger mate/friend) used to keep an old Nissan car with Rego as a spare for family/friends to drive while they're cars were getting fixed/repaired etc etc.

I just been thinking .................now that we have 'Club Registration' in most states...Why not have an older car sitting around for the same reasons, family/friends etc as long as they pay for the fuel to run it????

Car $??? plus rego $200 per year max????

If everyone from the family puts a bit in for tyres etc it would surely be sweet as????
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #2
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: I have a great spare car idea!!!!!!!!!!

Lol..isn't that what you have parents for.. The young ones borrow Mum's or Dad's car.

Lending out a car carries certain liability. You will get all the speeding tickets, parking fines, and you need to have insurance etc.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #3
hayseed

Just wait until It Breaks down, You'll soon find out if Blood's thicker than Water......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry couldnt help my self
but
I just been thinking .................
i have spare cars sitting round and every one else can get f^*k@d and get their own spares so my toys can stay the way ive built them

besides i cant see any one i know being able to or want to drive my 83 F350 or my XE v8 hurst , maybe they would with my NC fairlane but like my Zh fairlane they will never get the chance

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

It all falls apart when you're driving on Club Rego, and have that accident you didn't think would happen. It's not a Club sanctioned event, or it's outside the guidelines of Club Rego... and insurance doesn't cover you.

It's not so cheap if that happens...

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKXR6T View Post
When i was an apprentice Diesel Mech 25 years ago one of the qualified (great funny old bugger mate/friend) used to keep an old Nissan car with Rego as a spare for family/friends to drive while they're cars were getting fixed/repaired etc etc.

I just been thinking .................now that we have 'Club Registration' in most states...Why not have an older car sitting around for the same reasons, family/friends etc as long as they pay for the fuel to run it????

Car $??? plus rego $200 per year max????

If everyone from the family puts a bit in for tyres etc it would surely be sweet as????
Sorry.

Club registration is for car enthusiasts to be able to enjoy their non-daily rides without having to pay full rego. It is not for people to register a spare car to lend out to relos etc when their own car breaks down.

This is just another reason why we risk losing losing this great scheme one day.

EDIT: Swanny posted while I was typing.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Sorry.

Club registration is for car enthusiasts to be able to enjoy their non-daily rides without having to pay full rego. It is not for people to register a spare car to lend out to relos etc when their own car breaks down.

This is just another reason why we risk losing losing this great scheme one day.

EDIT: Swanny posted while I was typing.
Actuallly yes your are right i nevever thought about it thatway.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the 60 day permit it would work

however in NSW i'm unclear on the rules for the drivers
do they need to be in a car club or is it just the owner?

i drive my dads HR and mini both on club rego, my brothers ride my bikes on club rego but we are all in the same club

i also lent a mate my bike for his L's test but i made him join a club first as wasn't sure if he was covered under the permit
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Swordie

I'd budget 2-3K for the car. Add maintenance, registration and insurance on top (budget $1-$2K for these). Your insurance policy will need to reflect many drivers which will probably cost more. Some of the older cars are holding value and also going up.

I have two cars; VY Wagon and G220. I enjoying driving both. They both get driven each week. If one is off the road I have the other a spare. With older cars you do need to allow for maintenance, things need fixing. If you love cars it's great to have more than one (each has a different character).
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
i also lent a mate my bike for his L's test but i made him join a club first as wasn't sure if he was covered under the permit
Be careful when you are on a business trip to any official appointment.
I haven't studied what the club conditions are (didn't think Wa has club rules) but in your case typically they could easily check all legalities such as permits, usage purpose etc, when you turn up for vehicle inspections or official appointments with DoT.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

[QUOTE=QUIKXR6T;6353598]
QUOTE]

Seriously, we're back on this again. ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Using and old dunga as a spare car?
Perhaps the better solution would be to not have cars always getting fixed/repaired etc.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #13
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run a better idea. My son lives in ACT so I have a car registered in his name that sits unregistered for up to a year then I throw 3 months rego on it and drive it. It gets lent to immediate family as required. Last car was an old Magna with 300,000km on it. Each of the kids used it at various times although the eldest drove it with no mechanical sympathy at all and rather than risk breakdowns I sent it to the great wreckers in the sky. Current spare is a 2011 i30.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2019, 10:13 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How often do your relos cars break down for this to be a thing? My brothers car broke down a few times and he had to borrow one of mine, so he bought a new car and hasn't had to borrow mine since.

I don't see the point of owning a **** box for this reason. If you have a weekend car you enjoy fair enough, but a **** box just in case, yeah nah.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #15
Chugoy
Starter Motor

You guys must be nicer than me. My friends and relatives don't get use my vehicles.
Chugoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
How often do your relos cars break down for this to be a thing? My brothers car broke down a few times and he had to borrow one of mine, so he bought a new car and hasn't had to borrow mine since.

I don't see the point of owning a **** box for this reason. If you have a weekend car you enjoy fair enough, but a **** box just in case, yeah nah.
For me it started when my daughter crashed my car. I paid under $300 for the Magna which had 277000 km and a reasonable service history. I drove it until my car was fixed. My daughter borrowed it at other times. The big one was my son borrowed it for over 6 months while his car sat in impound for 5 and a half months and then a few weeks until the repairs were undertaken.
Current car was used while I took my time swapping the driveline from a donor car to my daily commute car, 2002 Calais v6 with 420,000km.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post