Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 29-11-2016, 03:21 AM   #1
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Default new stereo

hello, i want to replace the radio/tape deck in my 2001 cougar with something new, usb and gps ideally, when i see units online will they fit my car, i mean is there a universal size or does the cougar need a special sized unit?

had my second cougar for 12months now and its a dream, miss the sunroof the old one had, only drama has been the windows, both driver and passenger slowly stopped working, told i needed new somethingorrathers so i ordered the motor and everything $400 from wreckers and they threw in switches, replaced switches first and worked perfectly, i guess the other parts will come in handy one day but wish i knew it was only the switches.

also before i replaced switches i needed to regas the aircon because it was hot as texas without windows, cost $160 but worth it

thanks and hope everyone is doing well and healthy since my last visit

Marlo
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 05:31 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: new stereo

Firstly, there is no need to post the same thing 4 times.

The Cougar uses a standard single DIN radio slot so anything designed for that size will fit.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Firstly, there is no need to post the same thing 4 times.

The Cougar uses a standard single DIN radio slot so anything designed for that size will fit.

Russ
im not a complete idiot i realise 4 threads is unnecessary, when i made the thread it wouldnt load and create and then it said unable to connect to forum so each time it did this i reloaded/refreshed the browser, in the end i exited and when i came back i saw all the threads, i could not see where to delete them,

just checked out single din on aliexpress and they have a big range, $200-250 gets dvd, gps, radio and 7" screen
thanks for your help
Old 29-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
AD26

I think it's on the NECO forum but it still applies to Aus models. Search double din installs on 2001 cougar and there's a 7" screen install using a Ford Ranger bezel kit as opposed to the cougar kit. They have to dremel out a little plastic but it's a very neat install.

I was going to get one myself but I knock my hand on the volume knob of my alpine h/u enough going into 1st that the screen would probably **** me off so I haven't bothered
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #5
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
I think it's on the NECO forum but it still applies to Aus models. Search double din installs on 2001 cougar and there's a 7" screen install using a Ford Ranger bezel kit as opposed to the cougar kit. They have to dremel out a little plastic but it's a very neat install.

I was going to get one myself but I knock my hand on the volume knob of my alpine h/u enough going into 1st that the screen would probably **** me off so I haven't bothered
the radio is in an awkward position, the 7" that i looked at folds out of the unit but still not ideal, atm i use a tape that plugs into my ipod and runs through the radio, it gets the job done, the lack of console space to put phone is a let down
Old 30-11-2016, 05:35 AM   #6
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

my biggest pet hate is the cup holder situation, the two in the front under the console lid is useless and im always diving for the can before it tips over, if i stick with the cougar i will have to get something done about it