Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #241
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

I think 2014 update will cost a fair bit more than $50M.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #242
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised of the news, pleasantly suprised, something to look forward to
Old 24-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #243
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
For Falcon to get to 2018, it may only cost Ford $50M (2014) and another $20 M in 2016..

I call that economically viable..
I don't disagree with that. My comments were about developing a new platform for Falcon that would take it beyond 2016.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #244
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

E8 already goes beyond 2016...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #245
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I think 2014 update will cost a fair bit more than $50M.
Depends how much of the car is being touched, if Ford is doing more than just a face lift, they may need to do clays..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit2359
I don't disagree with that. My comments were about developing a new platform for Falcon that would take it beyond 2016.
And I'm saying with a good 2014 update and a Euro 5 emission update in 2016, E8 could be good for 2018.

Quite simply, there is no need to go to another platform...just integrate all the good bits from "One Ford"..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #246
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done Ford, it has got my attention will be good to find out more - 2014 seems so far away.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #247
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And I'm saying with a good 2014 update and a Euro 5 emission update in 2016, E8 could be good for 2018.

Quite simply, there is no need to go to another platform...just integrate all the good bits from "One Ford"..

Yes but as Pursuit2359 and myself have been saying, its after this generation Falcon that Ford will most likely move to a global FWD platform. Its a no brainer. As to exactly when that will be - 2017, 2018, 2019, who knows. But it would be safe to assume that the 2014 update will last more than 2 years.

Theres the outside chance that the Falcon will continue on a shared platform with Mustang, but I think this is a long shot because;

It would still cost a lot of development $ to get a Falcon out of a Mustang, a lot more than adapting whatever the global large car FWD platform is at the time. Falcons sales figures dont give any incentive to bother.

Mustang is going global - why try to sell 4 door RWD performance sedans next to the Mustang? Mustang alongside a FWD family sedan makes more sense and appeals to more people.

Commodore is also going after this generation.

The writing is on the wall. Everyone has about 6 years to buy a RWD Falcon if they want one that much.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #248
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
The writing is on the wall. Everyone has about 6 years to buy a RWD Falcon if they want one that much.
Ford won't make that decision until after the 2014 car is released.

We were doing so well in this thread until you turned up with that...

Last edited by jpd80; 24-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #249
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford won't make that decision until after the 2014 car is released.

We were doing so well in this thread until you turned up with that...

Doing well at putting your head in the sand maybe

I'm not trying to be negative - I dont see what I'm saying as being negative. I'm sure there will be new Fords in showrooms in 2020 that we all want to buy.
Old 24-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #250
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm not trying to be negative - I dont see what I'm saying as being negative. I'm sure there will be new Fords in showrooms in 2020 that we all want to buy.
You're not understanding what is being said, the way it's being said.

Quote:
Ford Australia’s E8 (Falcon/Territory RWD platform) vehicle line director Dave Wilkinson told GoAuto in Sydney last week that “there’s a huge amount of functional alignment” between engineers in Australia and the US.

“Chassis engineers here are in constant contact with the chassis engineers in America and in Europe and around the world,” he said.

“Our expertise (in rear-wheel-drive vehicles) is embedded in the Ford DNA, in the Ford targets around the world.

“It’s very much an interconnected, functionally aligned Ford now – very different to what it was 15 years ago.”
I'm not about to convince, that I'm sure of, I just ask that you don't start with the FWD "done deal" stuff as that just isn't true....
Old 24-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #251
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:

He doesn't have his head in the sand, he's just saying the simple reality is that Ford won't even be close to making that sort of decision either way until they're 3-4 years out from the maturity date of the platform. Anything to the contrary at this point in time is pure speculation.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #252
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Depends how much of the car is being touched, if Ford is doing more than just a face lift, they may need to do clays..
You will find that depending on the extent of the facelift, they will still do clays.

In this case, all done.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #253
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
You will find that depending on the extent of the facelift, they will still do clays.

In this case, all done.
As an aside, in this virtual/digital age, can you see car makers continuing to do this, or will something else take the place of the clay modeling process?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 24-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #254
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
As an aside, in this virtual/digital age, can you see car makers continuing to do this, or will something else take the place of the clay modeling process?
There's nothing like getting in actually building what's being designed and seeing first hand how it looks.
Can you imagine the feeling of being back in AU days and walking in to see this...LINK
Old 24-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #255
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

I could see the sales people laughing there heads off after they came up with that clip. It's very effective actually. Like throwing burley at a bunch of hungry herring. You could throw anything at the water and it would boil. Vague as all heck, but with this sort of thing you have to play your cards close to your chest.

Good to see a 2014 Falcon being designed. Now we'll all just have to wait like good little herring to find out the details.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #256
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're not understanding what is being said, the way it's being said.

I'm not about to convince, that I'm sure of, I just ask that you don't start with the FWD "done deal" stuff as that just isn't true....

All I see in those comments is that FOA are involved with the next generation Mustang.

But anyway, this is one of those instances where I'll be happy to be proven wrong. You and others here are more into this stuff than I so theres every chance I will be - lets just wait and see.

Regardless of how it all pans out we have about 6 years of the current generation left including what looks to be a great update in 2014, and then most likely the Mustang arriving here late in the decade so the way I see it things are looking damn good in the Ford camp.
Old 24-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #257
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Mustang will be here when it arrives everywhere else, 2014/2015.

Incidentally, I see Flat Rock Assembly (FRAP) now has responsibility for next gen Taurus AND Lincoln MKS production, in addition to the Mustang and Fusion. Along the lines of what I have said before, that is an AWFUL lot of work for one assembly plant, and RHD Mustangs are going to be a real pain for them with all that model and parts complexity. Australia could become the RHD production hub for Mustangs, globally, which would make sense if the next gen Mustang and the 2014 Falcon are sharing more than just good looks.

This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #258
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Australia could become the RHD production hub for Mustangs, globally, which would make sense if the next gen Mustang and the 2014 Falcon are sharing more than just good looks.
Works for me.....

Quote:
All I see in those comments is that FOA are involved with the next generation Mustang.

But anyway, this is one of those instances where I'll be happy to be proven wrong. You and others here are more into this stuff than I so theres every chance I will be - lets just wait and see.

Regardless of how it all pans out we have about 6 years of the current generation left including what looks to be a great update in 2014, and then most likely the Mustang arriving here late in the decade so the way I see it things are looking damn good in the Ford camp.
And I'm good with that too, thumbs up..
Old 24-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #259
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford still haven't fullt revealed the plans for the next-gen toreass...

But they have came out and said that:

-In 2014, there will be a Falcon upgrade, to take us to around 2018...
-In 2014-15, there will be an all new Mustang, with IRS

The rumor (as in, its been suggested) is that the Taurus will use a stretched CD4 platform, to replace the old, borrowed D3 platform...thats all.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 24-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #260
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Incidentally, I see Flat Rock Assembly (FRAP) now has responsibility for next gen Taurus AND Lincoln MKS production, in addition to the Mustang and Fusion. Along the lines of what I have said before, that is an AWFUL lot of work for one assembly plant, and RHD Mustangs are going to be a real pain for them with all that model and parts complexity. Australia could become the RHD production hub for Mustangs, globally, which would make sense if the next gen Mustang and the 2014 Falcon are sharing more than just good looks.
I wasn't really with you on this previously, but the recent Taurus announcement makes it a bit more plausible.

However, there's still going to be a question of costs somewhere. Either Falcon stays and Broadmeadows takes on a Mustang line or gets converted to a CD4 line. History shows that Holden spent $600m on an already developed Cruze and Mitsubishi spent a similar amount on a face lifted Galant. How many hundreds of millions will it cost to adapt Broadmeadows to produce Mustang?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #261
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I wasn't really with you on this previously, but the recent Taurus announcement makes it a bit more plausible.

However, there's still going to be a question of costs somewhere. Either Falcon stays and Broadmeadows takes on a Mustang line or gets converted to a CD4 line. History shows that Holden spent $600m on an already developed Cruze and Mitsubishi spent a similar amount on a face lifted Galant. How many hundreds of millions will it cost to adapt Broadmeadows to produce Mustang?
Part of the problem with Holden and the Cruze was that Holden did the development for the hatchback and the fact they were using an ancilliary assembly line that hadnt been used in years (I think this is the old 'Plant No. 2' where the Vectra was built). So the startup costs associated with that would have been huge. As Broady is a solitary assembly line that is in constant use and being regularly updated, you'd have to say that costs for Mustang production would be limited Mustang-specific tooling and alteration of existing tooling and machines to allow Mustang-specific processes to take place. The processes involved for making one unibody car over another are basically the same, just the parameters are different. Sure, there might be some fundamental differences (sedan v ute for example) but they won't have that problem.

Old 24-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #262
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford still haven't fullt revealed the plans for the next-gen toreass...

But they have came out and said that:

-In 2014, there will be a Falcon upgrade, to take us to around 2018...
-In 2014-15, there will be an all new Mustang, with IRS

The rumor (as in, its been suggested) is that the Taurus will use a stretched CD4 platform, to replace the old, borrowed D3 platform...thats all.
LINK
Production of next gen Taurus and Lincoln MKS is moving to Flat Rock Assmbly Plant,
currently being set up for CD4 Fusion and Lincoln MKZ while the other side remains dedicated to Mustang.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #263
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz
One would have to assume Boss... that when they take away availability for the Petrol, then more people would turn to the EcoLPi or EcoBoost offerings.

Only thing wrong there is the Turbo would be no more... and we need that. (Or do we?)
People won't just instantly buy LPi if they don't have the option of petrol. Most of those buyers wouldn't even consider LPG. It won't happen, you can't not have a petrol version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
I love this thread... not even two months ago we were talking about the Falcon not surviving beyong 2014, now we're looking forward to an all new model.

Long Live The Ford Falcon.
I need to mention here that the 2014 Falcon is a facelift, not an all new model. It will share the majority of its components with the FGII.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #264
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I need to mention here that the 2014 Falcon is a facelift, not an all new model. It will share the majority of its components with the FGII.
Someone suggested the designation FU for the 2014 Falcon as a message to journalists
and possibly FU 2 for the 2016 model just to reinforce the feeling..
Old 25-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #265
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the preview & then look at the nose on this : http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ed-future-cars
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #266
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 25-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #267
GT014

Looks fantastic Nikked. Only thing that doesn't look right is the headlights.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #268
Bossxr8
Peter Car

That looks way better. Very cool.
Old 25-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #269
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Someone suggested the designation FU for the 2014 Falcon as a message to journalists
and possibly FU 2 for the 2016 model just to reinforce the feeling..
I can see a full page ad in Wheels, with the title "Introducing to Wheels magazine, the FU"
Old 25-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #270
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I can see a full page ad in Wheels, with the title "Introducing to Wheels magazine, the FU"
Bit like those BMW / Audi / Subaru ads that were going around

Actually.... Bentley did something similar as well ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post