Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #10381
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: Last EVER Falcon Picture & Discussion Thread

FGX MkII GT - the last Falcon GT and most high performance falcon - Limited run of 250?
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #10382
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
FGX MkII GT - the last Falcon GT and most high performance falcon - Limited run of 250?
I would love to see a FORD Falcon GT, but i dont think there will be many happy FPV owners/Scalpers out there if it happened.

Perhaps a Limited edition run of the Cobra model to see out the Falcon?
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #10383
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From V8SC website ( http://www.v8supercars.com/view/phot...491D276332A166 )

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #10384
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post

The old models had styling and cred. The new ones are just more American garbage that we saw in the 1980s Mustang (one of which I drove extensively).
Sorry but I think the old models are just that, old. I think the new Mustang looks sweeet! I would get it with the 4 cyl engine as well. But I have a family to cart around so for now I need to stick with a 4 door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
While the American cars are getting a little better since the 80s/90s, they're still pretty poor quality compared to Australian, Japanese and miles behind German stuff. Would be foolish to choose a Mustang over an XR8 IMHO.
I don't think anyone who buys a Mustang over a XR8 is foolish. I don't know about build quality and will need to see it for myself and compare it to my XR50 but I can't see the build quality being any worse than my XR50.
Old 17-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #10385
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Build quality issues from US built Fords are a fairytale now. If you look at the JD Power rankings Ford have been, I think, top 5 for a few years now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #10386
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Nope.

Won't happen .....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #10387
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has this been missed or posted somewhere else...?? Best news we've had in months...!!

From GoAuto,

Blue Oval to boost Falcon production

Hanging out: Ford’s new flagship XR8 joined 80 other Falcons belonging to ‘Falcon fanatics’ in an aircraft hangar as part of an elaborate publicity film.

IN A twist of irony, Ford is scrambling to boost production of its swansong Falcon, after an “incredible” public response to the final Australian-made sedan sparked an unprecedented surge in demand.

Downsizing has already started in the run up to the end of Australian Ford production in 2016, but following the unexpected reception, Ford is now faced with the prospect of increasing Falcon manufacture by approximately 30 to 40 per cent to meet demand.

The facelifted Falcon broke cover just three months ago but has already cemented its place in the hearts of loyal followers with almost exclusively positive feedback directed at dealers, says Ford.

Speaking at the shoot of a promotional film, Ford Australia marketing manager David Katic told GoAuto that Falcon production may have to as much as double to satisfy the market.

“We haven't even launched the product yet and we've been literally bowled over with the amount of interest,” he said.

“The dealers are telling us they need more XR8s than what we have allocated them, which is a great problem to have and we are trying to work out how we can build more of them.

“Our challenge on Falcon, particularly XR8, is how do we expand production because the feedback has been absolutely incredible.

“Probably a 30 to 40 per cent [increase] will meet the demand in the market and I'm probably being conservative.”

As part of an ongoing and aggressive publicity campaign, Ford invited 400 'Falcon fanatics' to take part in a filmed event where XR8 Falcons negotiated a track marked out by the fans.

It took place at Melbourne's Avalon Airport where 80 of the enthusiast's cars filled a hangar, with the new XR8 taking centre stage.

“One of the great things as a marketer is having customers who are really passionate about your brand. We asked for 300 to 400 fanatics to come here and we had 800 in 48 hours,” said Mr Katic.

“Since the day we released the photos, the public feedback we've got on the car has been absolutely incredible”.

Despite the unprecedented interest in the final Falcon, Mr Katic said that a u-turn on production shutdown or a temporary extension was not a possibility.

“The reality is, all of the factors that drove us to the decision we made, they're still relevant, but our job and what we are focusing on is making sure we let Falcon go with style, and thankfully it looks like we have the opportunity to do that.”

There may be more treats before Ford finally pulls up stumps however. Mr Katic said if more capacity can be found to produce the required numbers of Falcon, special editions could follow the initial seven sedan and five Ute range.

“Our fans are screaming for them and so we might look at those, but we have to make sure we can build the right amount. It's no use doing a special edition if you can't build enough standard cars,” he said.

Last week Holden announced a special Bathurst/Craig Lowndes celebratory version of its Falcon-rivaling Commodore, and Ford won’t want to miss an opportunity to cash-in on its racing heritage in a similar way.

In June, Ford let 72 staff go from its Geelong engine plant with another 127 sacked from the Broadmeadows factory after a call for voluntary redundancies was largely ignored.

The cull followed an announcement in February that 300 jobs would go from the Blue Oval workforce, and the most recent cuts coincided with vehicle production being slashed from 133 to 83 per day.

With an increase to output now required to meet new Falcon demand, Ford may be considering adding to its recently depleted manufacturing staff, or a redeployment of resources from other areas to the large sedan line.

The new simplified Falcon sedan range starts with the entry-level and simply named Falcon priced at $35,900 before on-road costs, and tops out with flagship 5.0-litre supercharged XR8 with a price tag of $52,490.

Tradie-friendly Utes kick off from $29,390 for the cab chassis with the range capping off with the $39,910 XR6 Turbo. An XR8 version of the Ute has not been announced.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #10388
LASTXR

So Ford are saying if they sell enough falcons
they might make a limited edition. If people
knew there was a limited edition coming
wouldn't sales drop due to people holding
out for the last one
LASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #10389
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Nope.

Won't happen .....
And do you why I think it won't, even if there was a business case. Ford made such a hooplah about the GTF...priced it right for the fans, and there is some bloke that dropped $200k on one for it to be the LAST.

If ford back flipped and I was him I'd drive #500 straight through the HQ reception area and burn it.

Respect is the reason why there will be no more GT. If we were talking GMH we'll that's another ball game, they would have more comebacks than Johnny Farnham if they could.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #10390
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT won't happen.. XR8 sprint maybe? All I could see a sprint having over a normal XR8 would be the name, a stripe package and possibly a 351kw tune (doubtful) with a premium price tag.
Would I buy one? Definetely. Would I hold off a FGX XR8 just in case? Nope.
Good news to hear that XR8 production may increase to demand though. A ford fan should never miss out on purchasing the last falcon V8.. Period...
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #10391
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Build quality issues from US built Fords are a fairytale now. If you look at the JD Power rankings Ford have been, I think, top 5 for a few years now.
Plus nearly every YouTube review I've seen about the 2015 mustang has mentioned the big improvement in fit and finish, particularly the interiors.

I have a sneaking suspicion mustang is gonna surprise a few with it's quality feel.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #10392
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If you check JD Power’s website:

Ford came 28th out of 34 manufacturers in JD Power’s Initial Quality Study for 2013 which was below the industry average.

And so far Ford are currently 16 out of 33 manufacturers for the 2014 Initial Quality Study which is equal to the industry average. Therefore 2014 has seen an improvement.

Apart from that Ford are also performing way down the lists and below the industry average in the Dependability Study and the Customer Satisfaction Study.

Having lived in the USA for 26 years my assessment of Ford was they produced reasonable cars for the price but always lagged behind in build quality.
I’m happy to be proven wrong but I can’t see the new Mustang being any different, which unless they put in a special effort for the local delivered car, most will likely find it to be a little below the quality they are used to with the Aussie product.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #10393
Snowdoggydogg

You will note though that Ford in North America offered several 'premium' brands above the blue oval just like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura, etc.
Having been a Ford family growing up about half way between the famed Windsor plant and Oakville manufacturing line we've driving a lot of their offerings over the 25 years I lived in Canada and I can vouch for the conclusion below.
However, the Lincoln (premium Ford brand) LS V8 and Aviator that we owned were class vehicles for their time. I'd liken the same to the Fg G6eT when it arrived in 2008 - hell of a beautiful car in its day.
Snowdoggydogg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #10394
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Wow. 2 of Callums predictions have been reported in the media and possibly being true. Who would have thought that, what with all the Bullies going hard at him in here.

Lukeyson
Old 19-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #10395
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you throw enough stuff out there some of it is bound to be close to true, that's how psychics work. I don't believe a word they say until it's confirmed either.

Right now ford have said they are trying to, not they have succeeded. I believe the exact prediction of callum was they will use a different gearbox. Let's see if that is true...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #10396
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With all the development & calibration required to introduce a new gearbox, I highly doubt that would happen for a couple of thousand possible cars - but I guess people who have worked in and around the auto industry for 20+ years already know that....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #10397
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I posted this in the "FG X pricing" thread, but thought it worth repeating here given the current discussion.

I spent the weekend at Bathurst with a current Ford employee. I talked to him about my situation in that I wanted an auto XR8 but not until my current ST comes off lease around the end of July/start of august next year. Discussed the situation wrt gearboxes and potential lack thereof. With out going into details, what he did advise me is that he is in a similar position to me in terms of timing and wanting an auto, and he is not looking at securing his car until towards the end of the first quarter 2015.

That was enough for me to take the chance and not look until then either.

Take that for what it is worth.

Craig H

PS Got a quote from a dealer yesterday for Kinetic auto, 2015 build, held until I was ready to pick the car up. $59k drive away, no negotiation as the 'special' arrangement for me would not allow it. Have until the end of the year to make a decision, but i think I will play this one out at this stage.....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 19-10-2014 at 11:51 AM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #10398
MAD
Petro-sexual

My brother just got two quotes for XR8 in white, manual with towbar.

One dealer finally managed to budge from 63990 to 63490 with a jacket and a tank of fuel. This was face to face. They also mentioned something about allocations.

The other was over the phone and they went straight up to 58000 with the same thrown in, no questions, no negotiation. Delivery in December. They didn't mention a thing about allocation.
Old 19-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #10399
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Yt
Not necessarily, just a different opinion. Not everybody has to like the styling.

Last edited by Auslandau; 19-10-2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Deleted deleted quote.
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #10400
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion without belittlement.

Me personally, I like the FG-X a helluva lot. I really do like the FG (pre mark2 front), and it think this is one of few times a relatively minor (as in limited panels & lights being changed) face lift has been done that actually improves the car - almost as significant as XF over XE.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #10401
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDV800 View Post
Frl.
Lol, while it's a bit harsh I don't disagree.

I think the fg xr50th ones were the high point of fg looks, I just cannot warm to the fgx. Maybe seeing then in the flesh will change that.

Last edited by Auslandau; 19-10-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Deleted deleted quote.
Old 19-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #10402
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
Wow. 2 of Callums predictions have been reported in the media and possibly being true. Who would have thought that, what with all the Bullies going hard at him in here.

Lukeyson
What 2 would that be?
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #10403
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Not necessarily, just a different opinion. Not everybody has to like the styling.
But has that critic actually seen the car in real life, and spent time with them? If not, I believe he does not qualify to make comment.

After having spent 10 hours with these cars last Friday, I can say as what has been said many times: Photos of the FG X give a false impression of the car, for some reason they do not show the true looks and proportions.

But I do also love the looks of my FG XR50!! Its just that the FGX has more up to date looks.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #10404
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know about others, but at school we were taught how to express opinions and that an opinion should have a basis. Saying the car is ugly and that's it may be your opinion, but it's a child's way of expressing it...

We were in Torquay today and I had a close look at a Victory Gold XR6. While the colour is nice and suits the car I won't be getting it because I feel it will date rather quickly. I was tossing up between getting an FG MkII or waiting for an FGX, and today's look at the latter settled it for me, blue or white FGX XR6 Ute for me
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #10405
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
But has that critic actually seen the car in real life, and spent time with them? If not, I believe he does not qualify to make comment.
This argument has been trotted out a few times, and to be honest I find it as pathetic as the ones saying people are idiots because of their opinions.

I've never seen Jen Hawkins or gina rinehart in real life but I'm damned sure I know which one is more attractive.

Simple fact is, we can only form an opinion on what we can see, people who have seen them in the flesh have their opinion, doesn't make it any more right than people going off photos, it's just their opinion.

To say people who haven't seen one yet don't qualify to comment is utter bs.
6 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #10406
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
This argument has been trotted out a few times, and to be honest I find it as pathetic as the ones saying people are idiots because of their opinions.

I've never seen Jen Hawkins or gina rinehart in real life but I'm damned sure I know which one is more attractive.

Simple fact is, we can only form an opinion on what we can see, people who have seen them in the flesh have their opinion, doesn't make it any more right than people going off photos, it's just their opinion.

To say people who haven't seen one yet don't qualify to comment is utter bs.
I have seen Jen in real life, and the photos don't lie.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #10407
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys know with that Jen vs Gina argument that some people would actually go for Gina... I personally wouldn't but the world is full of all types, never assume your view on beauty is the only one ;)
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #10408
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
You guys know with that Jen vs Gina argument that some people would actually go for Gina...
Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #10409
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
I have seen Jen in real life, and the photos don't lie.
lucky bastard

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #10410
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Don't know about others, but at school we were taught how to express opinions and that an opinion should have a basis. Saying the car is ugly and that's it may be your opinion, but it's a child's way of expressing it...
Agree .........

Also, while people can offer an opinion, it is the way that opinion is stated that can offend, especially to those who are contemplating buying ...... and there are a HELL of a lot more of those than those who do not like.

There are too many here who can appreciate the last Falcon, whether buying or not, to have 1 thread that doesn't just become a childish bagging of the car.

Not saying you cant not like it ....... just let those who are actually interested in the car enjoy the discussion?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: