Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #12031
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX S/C V8 View Post
Big call mick, I can't see them beating the V8 in a straight line even with fats. Miami has a bit more grunt than the I6 from factory and IMO should outplay engine weight factor.

Definetly be close though. Auto should be good for a low 12 in the real world and a mid 13 if your a retarded magazine tester lol
True, but the turbo 6 cars need around 50-80rwkw LESS power to run the same times as the Miami powered beasts. So I reckon a 310 turbo with Rspec setup and 275 rears would be quicker than the XR8.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #12032
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Wasn't the g6et a faster car in a straight line than xr6t because of the softer suspension helping it get traction? I think the rspec suspension would hamper the xr6t going straight. Maybe just put the 275's on and stick with current setup?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #12033
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Wasn't the g6et a faster car in a straight line than xr6t because of the softer suspension helping it get traction? I think the rspec suspension would hamper the xr6t going straight. Maybe just put the 275's on and stick with current setup?
..............because they are an OEM manufacturer and would be looking at the over all handling package instead of building a drag racer special..........that said they could also build the car with standard rear gear to intentionally neuter it a bit.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #12034
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I put my money on the turbo being faster than the Ausi Miami.

As long as it has 275 tyres and can get grip.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #12035
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
True, but the turbo 6 cars need around 50-80rwkw LESS power to run the same times as the Miami powered beasts. So I reckon a 310 turbo with Rspec setup and 275 rears would be quicker than the XR8.
That is because this is what the power and torque curves look like when they both make the same peak power. Turbo 6 (F6) vs miami. 6cyl is GREEN.

At 110kph the turbo walks away.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #12036
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Big call mick, I can't see them beating the V8 in a straight line even with fats. Miami has a bit more grunt than the I6 from factory and IMO should outplay engine weight factor.

Definetly be close though. Auto should be good for a low 12 in the real world and a mid 13 if your a retarded magazine tester lol

What happens in first gear is obviously very important and that will have a big effect on the 400 metre time, but I've seen GPS Data that shows an Auto GT can gain a touch over one and a half car lengths over an Auto F6 from 70 kmh to the end of 400 metres, and that's a bit over one and a half tenths. Same location same day.

However as my Performance box GPS data has shown, most of the time lost or gained in the early part of a 400 metre run will flow into the end time.
So if an F6 can get to 70 kmh say 2 tenths faster, then it should hold the GT off for at least around 400 metres.

The GT hangs onto it's peak torque for longer than the F6 and gains in the last part of each gear, so for example if it's got the same torque at say 15% more revs than the F6, then it's producing 15% more power, but the push in the back is the same (well almost except for a slight loss from more wind resistance at the higher speed). I think too that the Bi Modal exhaust and air intake probably gives a bit more performance to the Miami as the car reaches higher speeds, with the rush of air into that large intake and the vacuum at the back of the car with the Muffler opened up.

I think one point in favour of the F6 though, is that (with it's intercooler) it can apparently keep full pace up longer than the 335 kW Miami, being less likely to need a cooldown run between tests.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #12037
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yep. I am sure if they build it there will be plenty of drag strip comparisons.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 30-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #12038
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
That is because this is what the power and torque curves look like when they both make the same peak power. Turbo 6 (F6) vs miami. 6cyl is GREEN.

The turbo's always gonna walk away in stock form top cog 110kph as it makes it's torque a bit earlier than the 8..

When u consider the I6 being intercooled on 18psi and the Miami no I/C at 9psi the miami has more than held it's own on that dyno sheet. In the end cubes and cylinders matter and if u intercool and run 18psi through the Miami it would blitz that F6..

Both great engines but the I6 is back bein little brother where it should be. The V8 falcon will retire on top...just!! (My prediction)

But as far as Australian designed/built engines go nothing comes close to the I6 and it's journey from a carby fed 250 cross flow to the DOHC turbo intercooled monster that tormented HSV's for a decade!
FGX-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #12039
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quit peddling the same graph. Stock or it doesn't count... You never seem to get it.

Last edited by kypez; 30-12-2014 at 09:08 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #12040
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQB-241 View Post
Here: http://youtu.be/IfZXpvgBKFk

11701 views in 8 weeks. 50+ by my kids (and me).
Unfortunately it is a rubbish ad/movie and will not attract any new buyers. It was made to appease rusted on Ford fans, and I can't find fault in that, but it won't in any way attract any new Ford buyers - quite the opposite.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #12041
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
I'd like to know where the 'FG-X Falcon Fanatic' ad is?? I have only seen it once when Ford emailed me the link. Why bother to go through all the trouble and spend all the money on a great day and then not bother showing the ad anywhere. WTF FORD??
I’ve seen the Fanatic ad at the top of the home page of the on-line version of the Sydney Morning Herald for the last couple of weeks. It also was down the side of the page today when I was reading the Drive section.

I don’t watch a great deal of Television so if Ford isn’t already doing it they should be showing edited versions in primetime.

http://www.ford.com.au/falcon-fanatics?bannerid=Falcon_24134205_Xaxis_FOA

This is also a review in Drive. It’s dated the 24th December so it may already have been posted.

http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/ford-falcon-xr8-new-car-review-20141230-12djke.html

Quote:

Ford Falcon XR8 new car review

Date: December 24, 2014
Sam Hall

Ford's swansong performance Falcon shines in some areas, suffers from obvious cost cutting in others.

Our rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Pros
Engine credentials and performance
Standard performance running gear
Excellent sound and theatre

Cons
Cheap and bland cabin
Uninspiring styling
Sharp ride
Lack of refinement
No modern passive safety technology

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Or can you?

That was the running theme for Ford Australia during the shoestring development of the last ever Falcon, the FG X - a car that will be forever etched in automotive history when Ford Australia's Broadmeadows plant is shuttered for good in 2016.

It goes without saying that recent months haven't exactly been gratifying for local Ford stalwarts thanks to a looming factory closure, and the blue oval's factory-backed V8 Supercar program now on death row. News that Ford's budget for the FG X Falcon was capped at $103 million might not inspire much confidence for blue oval loyalists, but there is one silver lining.

The big news for 2014 is the re-instatement of the Falcon XR8 flagship. It returns after a four-year hiatus, replacing the entire Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) range as the sole V8 model in Ford Australia's line-up.

What do you get?

At $54,690 in automatic guise the swansong XR8 will go down as the most expensive model in the nameplate's history. But it is a bargain by modern day standards.

That's because the XR8 is essentially an identical vehicle under the skin to the old FPV GT R-Spec, performing all the same party tricks for $22,300 less on its sticker price.

The caveat is that, other than a new bonnet, front fenders, boot, lights and bumpers, the rest of the sheet metal and glass is carry over from FG Falcon. Same goes for most of the interior.

Rather resourcefully, Ford designers have integrated some new tech updates and borrowed different parts from the extensive in-house catalogue to freshen up the last-hoorah model.

The marquee addition for 2014 is the Falcon's new Sync2 infotainment software. Housed in similar sized eight-inch touchscreen screen as before, the program accepts up to 10,000 different voice commands and offers new functions such as digital radio and a potentially life-saving technology that automatically calls triple zero if the airbags have been deployed or the vehicle has rolled over in an accident (phone connection/reception permitting).

Elsewhere the XR8 offers as standard: leather seat trim, front and rear parking sensors, a reversing camera, sat-nav, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers.

Tellingly, there is no modern passive safety technology as found on some competitors – such as head-up display, blind spot monitoring or forward collision warning – but the Falcon gets a five-star safety rating thanks to six airbags, stability and traction control and ABS.

At an outside glance, there are plenty of performance goodies bolted onto this fast Falcon (we'll get to the engine bay in a moment). Standard equipment includes staggered 19-inch wheels (eight inches wide at the front, nine inches at the rear) shod with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx rubber, four-piston calliper front Brembo brakes and a single-piston floating calliper non-Brembo rear. The rest of the R-Spec package is carried over, too; that means stiffer springs front and rear, retuned dampers, a thicker rear sway bar, stiffer bushes and revised front upper-spring mounts.

What's inside

Ford's compulsory cost-cutting is highlighted most by the Falcon's ageing cabin. In short, it presents like a taxi, with cheap, hard plastics and a centre fascia and instrument cluster that screams 2005.

There is no electric seat adjustment, no ambient lighting at night, and the steering wheel-mounted controls don't illuminate.

What is new, and does make some headway in tidying up the appearance, is the addition of a new black roof lining (previously grey), faux carbon fibre accents and some revised graphics in the instrument cluster.

The new Sync2 software works well for the most part, with entertainment, climate, phone and navigation functions split into four neat quadrants. The rest of the switchgear could be better polished though, particularly the interaction between the screen and the existing buttons and dials.

Elsewhere, the same oddball driving position remains, with the seat perched too high and the steering wheel too low - making you feel as though you're perched up and not sitting in the cockpit.

There is a reasonable amount of odds and ends storage up front, with long but narrow door pockets, a large centre bin with two USB ports and different nooks for mobile phones or wallets. The seats offer good but not great bolstering and support.

The rear seat is not much kinder. There are no door pockets, a large transmission tunnel and the backrest is quite short in height. The rear head rests are also moulded, meaning long trips could be burdensome for full-size adults trying to find comfort or for parents trying to snugly fit their child capsules without cutting into the seat.

The Falcon redeems itself with adequate leg and head proportions front and rear, air vents all round, plus the convenience of split-fold seats. The boot is quite large in aperture and size, rated at 535 litres, though it is beset by a large hole in the middle, where a full-size spare wheel resides.

Under the bonnet

The re-incarnated XR8 needs no introduction in this respect. At its heart is a familiar 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine formerly found in the GT – producing 335kW at 5750rpm and 570Nm at 2200-5500rpm.

The engine comes mated with either a six-speed manual or the optional $2200 six-speed auto fitted to our test car. A launch control function is fitted on both derivatives.

Looking over the XR8's bulging bonnet from the driver's seat, it's clear the engine means business. And it fulfils the brief: the XR8 finally has the kind of performance befitting of its price tag and status.

The engine is a terrific unit, with a strong, accessible mid-range and an intuitive gearbox to keep revs at a sweet spot.

The exhaust system is the same as that found in the R-Spec, emitting a sweet guttural growl on start-up and keeping in tune with the car's muscle car pretensions at higher revs – at which point the supercharger whine is clearly distinguishable.

One notable achievement is the XR8's ability to put its power down cleanly. During 0-100km/h testing, it managed to reach triple figures in a respectable 5.2 seconds with only a flicker from the stability control icon as it launched out of the blocks.

The transmission isn't the swiftest unit going, and lacks steering wheel mounted paddles, but between the regular and sports modes it does a good job in most scenarios.

In daily conveyance, the engine is relaxed and composed, casually shifting up and down ratios without a worry. In this setting you'll likely beat Ford's combined fuel figure of 13.7L/100km in automatic guise, but press the right pedal a little harder and that figure can be quickly exceeded.

On the road

The XR8 could be deemed a little one dimensional out on the road.

It rockets away in a straight line and, thanks to responsive steering and a quick turn-in, handles itself well when touring.

But beyond that point, it relies too much on its tyres for lateral grip, and can easily break the traction threshold when pushed.

That's great if you like to get tail-happy when it is safe to do so, but otherwise the flagship doesn't quite cut the mustard as a true sports sedan – making its 1861kg kerb weight known to the driver and sliding prominently in the rear end.

Its other shortcoming is ride quality. The R-Spec suspension might endow the car with better handling characteristics but it is firm in its nature, teetering on crashy on really rough sections of road.

The steering is heavy at low speed and becomes fidgety over everyday road undulations; there is plenty of vibration and road interference reaching the driver's hands, mostly on the straight-ahead.

Build quality and refinement aren't particular strong points for the XR8, or for that matter the entire FG X Falcon range. There is a plenty of road and wind noise present inside the cabin at speed and the overall fit and finish could be better.

These traits are mostly in line with an old-fashioned muscle car – and it many ways that's what the XR8 is: the last of its era.

Verdict

The Falcon XR8 is a tremendous effort given Ford's obvious budget constraints. It is comfortably the best V8-powered Falcon to-date, but that doesn't hide the fact it is still archaic and out-dated in many respects. Had Ford been able to pony up some more cash, imagine what could have really been. Instead, they have served up what is quite a fitting tribute for a car making operation seriously hindered by overhead cost-cutting. What a shame it had to end like this.

Ford Falcon XR8 specifications

Price: from $52,490 plus on-road costs
Country of origin: Australia
Engine: 5.0-litre supercharged V8
Power: 335kW at 5750rpm
Torque: 570Nm at 2200-5500rpm
Fuel use: 13.7L/100km combined (automatic)
CO2 emissions: 324g/km
Transmission: Six speed manual/Six speed automatic
Weight: 1861kg
Safety: Six airbags, stability control

LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #12042
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone seen a stock FGX XR8 do a quality pass yet??
Don't really have a time the XR6T310 needs to beat yet. XR8 might be the same spec as R-Spec GT but I wouldn't assume It can't do a slightly quicker time. Smaller kit, no massive wing, different aeros and a massive CAI grille up front could only help 1/4 mile times if anything u would think.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #12043
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Has anyone seen a stock FGX XR8 do a quality pass yet??
Don't really have a time the XR6T310 needs to beat yet. XR8 might be the same spec as R-Spec GT but I wouldn't assume It can't do a slightly quicker time. Smaller kit, no massive wing, different aeros and a massive CAI grille up front could only help 1/4 mile times if anything u would think.
Strangely though, the XR8 is heavier than the GT ever was...
Old 30-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #12044
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Strangely though, the XR8 is heavier than the GT ever was...
WTF does sync2 screen way 50kg or somethin... How much heavier is it?
Old 30-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #12045
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The XR8 should do around 12.5 - 12.8.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 30-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #12046
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Quit peddling the same graph. Stock or it doesn't count... You never seem to get it.

Fixed. Go for it gents!
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...27#post5293227
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #12047
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
WTF does sync2 screen way 50kg or somethin... How much heavier is it?
Not much heavier but it is heavier. GTF is 1835 vs 1858 (1861 auto). So it's gained a little weight but it's still extra weight.
Old 31-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #12048
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not much heavier but it is heavier. GTF is 1835 vs 1858 (1861 auto). So it's gained a little weight but it's still extra weight.
All I can think of is the extra tech n wiring to suit.

Or it's just a mistake like half of the other info released in the FGX brochures lol

One of the build guys will know..
Old 31-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #12049
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have they started clearing out Geelong already...? I noticed there were some robots in the junkyard beside the highway...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #12050
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
The XR8 should do around 12.5 - 12.8.
Mine did a 12.7
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #12051
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Thumbs down Re: FG X, The Last EVER Falcon - Picture & Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Have they started clearing out Geelong already...? I noticed there were some robots in the junkyard beside the highway...
Why would they be clearing out the plant ?

Cars are being build for another 22 months.

Those robots are worn out and obsolete.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #12052
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sync 2 is s hit

So slow when you touch the screen to actually respond
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #12053
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also Sam Hall from Drive saying that it has 'uninspiring styling' what a deekhead
Old 31-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #12054
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you have any more info in Sync 2 fgpsi? Curious to know more thoughts if you've played with it for a bit.

Current Rides
Old 31-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #12055
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you have any more info in Sync 2 fgpsi? Curious to know more thoughts if you've played with it for a bit.
Played with it for a bit but it takes so long to respond when you actually touch the screen I couldn't be stuffed using it any longer. It's like a $32 generic Chinese tablet off ebay
Old 31-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #12056
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
Mine did a 12.7
How many Km's kempy? I'm a believer of 15-20k km's before they show there true colors.. By than u'll probly need some new rears to have another crack lol
Old 31-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #12057
FGX-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Played with it for a bit but it takes so long to respond when you actually touch the screen I couldn't be stuffed using it any longer. It's like a $32 generic Chinese tablet off ebay
Probly why sync3 has been released already lol
Wouldn't doubt the falcon was just a way to clear out some sync2 stock so Fords important cars (anything not built here) can have the good stuff fitted haha!
Old 31-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #12058
martyal44
2010 G6E

Saw an orange XR8 on the hwy near Lindfield today,for me the first one on the road and as I flashed my lights a highway patrol emerged 3 cars behind. Congrats to the owner.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #12059
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
That's a bit disappointing to hear to be honest. It didn't seem that bad when I first saw it. Interested to hear what the people who have already collected their car have to say about Sync2.

Current Rides
Old 31-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #12060
XBv8mmm!

Quote:
That's a bit disappointing to hear to be honest. It didn't seem that bad when I first saw it. Interested to hear what the people who have already collected their car have to say about Sync2.
Hi sensation.

I have no issues with it. The voice control is great when your driving, not having to touch your phone and all. Just don't slur your words.
Personally I think it's a good bit of kit.
As to it being slow, it only takes a sec to move between screens. No bigy.
iPhone works very well with the system ( phone and iPod).

Honestly , no complaints.

Cheers,
Garry.