Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 22-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
thewonderer

Default Radio display has faded line

I can't believe my luck. My mondeo has just gone out of the original 3 year warranty and I only bought it 2 months ago. Tonight I discover that one of the lines on the cd player display has faded to almost nothing, so now a 1 looks like a i and the bottom of a 2 is missing.

I checked the extended warranty that the previous owner bought and it doesn't cover anything outside the engine bay! so nothing what so ever with the radio. So much for Sony build quality!

Has anyone had this happen to their radio display? Could it be humidity causing the issue.

I am going to give the garage a call tomorrow and see how reasonable they are. Just a week out of original warranty.

thewonderer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Radio display has faded line

Normally a problem like that is due to a connection not seated into the socket they are normally copper cable moulded into a flat plastic loom and pushed into a flat socket joining the display to the printed circuit board similar to this the ends are stripped and pushed into the flat socket

http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargeph...id=3364&IMAGE=

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
thewonderer

Thanks. Going to try my luck with Ford warranty to see if they can squeeze it in as a repair job. Don't really want to pull apart my dash and radio... may have to live with it :( Its a sony radio so i blame sony!
Old 28-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The radios pop out, so shouldn't be too hard of a fix.

A car radio place should be able to do it if Ford won't.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
thewonderer

Hi Dusty1, can you give me the heads up on how it 'pops out'.. as the last 2 radios i did on other cars was quite a bit of work to get all the surrounding trim off before being able to take the radio out. Is there any issues with disconnecting the radio from the car as it seems to be a intergral part of the car unlike some older cars.

cheers
Old 29-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'd assume there would be some part of the sides that can be offed in order to use the two standard pronged things that most radios that aren't built in use.

Have a look at Talkford.com and do a search on the Mark IV Mondeo forums, someone would have had one out.

A guy on here had his removed by a car radio place to have some unit he bought off eBay installed, so it's doable.

EDIT: Maybe send an email off to Forum sponsors ASL and ask Fadi the question. They support this Forum, so probably a good place to start.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

I think the thread that Dusty is talking about is here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11279247

It isn't straightforward as you have to remove the fascia and let it hang to one side and then remove the A/C control switches before you can remove the radio.

It is one of those jobs that depends on how skilled with car dash assembly you are (or adventurous ).

I've had a quick look at the nature of the job, back when I was considering an after market replacement Radio/CD/GPS unit. But finally decided to go with one on the windscreen.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
thewonderer

Thanks, in the end I took the car into ford to see if i could get the warranty to help out... just waiting to hear back. The display seems to be getting worse with another line starting to fade... not good :(
Old 16-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Mackspower

Here's a link showing how to remove the unit (with Pics)

http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/ford-m...stereo-removal
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
thewonderer

Some good news!!!

The warranty company has agreed to pick up the tab and swap over the radio for free!

Ford garage just needs to remove radio to get ID code from it.

Is there a way I can get the code from the panel rather than have to get it all taken out at the garage? Is there a combination of buttons on the front of the radio i can use...

thanks