Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #301
YOOT
Banned

I think its a winner, great looker, and lots of modern and up to date features. If was interested in large sedans I would much rather that over anything else. However, I don't need the space or power anymore (at least not for the next 10 years) so I get the luxury of shopping in the slightly smaller car bracket which gives me more options than just the Falcon and Commodore (and better resale, build quality as well!)

Good work Holden, your move Ford. Either way, win or lose, I'll be smiling from behind the wheel of something better (but smaller) with features that have been standard for years, which are only just new in Commodore and not even available in Falcon. :hihi:
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #302
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else think, that the Calais badge looks retro?

I think it looks very VK-VL Calais like.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #303
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

for some reason, it wont let me view the video, plllzzz help!!!
Old 16-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #304
FPV

If you compare the BA Fairmont Ghia to the VE Calais in a front view, you will obviously see alot of resemblance. Some have gone on about the VZ Calais looking great, but you can see what direction Holden have taken with the new calais, and thats the Fairmont Ghia approach. Simple elegant styling with a hint of spotiness, just like the euros. The front headlights, grille and even the lower bumper resemble the BA. Seriously it doesnt look like a massive step above Ford so far and i was suprised to see two models get the 4 speed auto.

On the Caprices instrument cluster, i think thats a direct copy of the Audi A8, just like the roofline and doors are, if im correct.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #305
crusher
Dirty ute club member

No one has really mentioned the wheels yet so ill have a go.

19/20 inch standard. Will look bling bling and all that but how practical is it? If you dont live in the middle of the city with nice smooth roads theyre going to be a major pain in the ***. Even with full size tires some of the major highways are rough as guts.

What about spare? Space saver? Full size option? None at all like the mx-5?

Apart from that they dont look all too bad. Rear wing looks like crap. If i got one it would definately come off. Itd look alot smoother.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #306
Bax
Projecting

I don't mind it, I don't love it, but I'd take a calais.
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #307
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
The car looks good and will no doubt sell well. Shame IE locks up whenever I try to view the video.
Me too! Keeps locking up all the time. Will wait I guess.
Old 16-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #308
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

anybody have any idea why i cant view the video?
Old 16-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #309
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

ive always thought that 16's and 17's are looking small on cars these days, especially the LWB cars. So 19's and 20's will look quite good i think. Look at those flared guards, they're made for big rims. Same as the 300c, big wheel wells for big wheels.

minesbetta. noone has been able to view the video, because it was a live stream not a video as such. Im sure that it will be posted up as a video in coming days. It was over half an hour long, so expect it to take a while.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #310
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Do we have any official weight's of the vehicles yet or are we all just saying it's going to be heavier because of the rumour's we have heard, just like the GTHO,
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #311
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, so here are some preliminary VE specs...

2006 HOLDEN VE COMMODORE –HIGHLIGHTS
• Australia’s first $1 billion dollar car program. This compares with $600 million spent on the acclaimed VT range released in 1997
• Combined with WM Statesman and Caprice, total program costs were $1.23 billion
• Most clean-sheet car program in Holden’s history
• More than 3.42 million development kilometres were driven during the program
• About 2.4 million Commodores have been built for domestic and export sales since the VB Commodore was launched in 1978
• Holden Commodore has been Australia’s best selling car each year since 1996, the year before VT was launched

Model lineup
The new Omega and V Series models feature in a revised Commodore lineup. Omega replaces Executive and Acclaim while the V Series adds new variants to the leading SS and Calais nameplates.

• Omega (new) – 3.6L V6, peak power 180kW, peak torque 330Nm, four-speed automatic
• Berlina – 3.6L V6, peak power 180kW, peak torque 330Nm, four-speed automatic; 6.0L V8,
peak power 270kW, peak torque 530Nm, six-speed automatic
• SV6 – 3.6L V6, peak power 195kW, peak torque 340Nm, five-speed automatic or six-speed manual
• SS – 6.0L V8, peak power 270kW, peak torque 530Nm, six-speed automatic, six-speed manual
• SS V (new) - 6.0L V8, peak power 270kW, peak torque 530Nm, six-speed automatic, sixspeed manual
• Calais – 3.6L V6, peak power 195kW, peak torque 340Nm, five-speed automatic; 6.0L V8, peak power 270kW, peak torque 530Nm, six-speed automatic
• Calais V (new) – 3.6L V6, peak power 195kW, peak torque 340Nm, five-speed automatic; 6.0L V8, peak power 270kW, peak torque 530Nm, six-speed automatic Engines
• Two variants of the advanced all-aluminium 3.6L Alloytec V6 engine will be offered
• The high output Alloytec will deliver peak power of 195kW @ 6500rpm and peak torque of 340Nm @ 2600rpm, up 5kW and 5Nm
• The Alloytec V6 will deliver peak power of 180kW @ 6000rpm and peak torque of 330Nm @ 2600rpm, up 8kW and 10Nm
• Increased output from the new 6.0L Generation 4 V8 engine to peak power of 270kW @ 5700rpm and peak torque of 530Nm @ 4400rpm, up 10kW and 20Nm. This makes the new engine the most powerful standard Holden ever produced
• Plans for a 3.6L dual fuel LPG Alloytec V6 engine later in the year.

Transmissions
Five transmissions will be offered, comprising three automatic and two manual transmissions. An all-new six-speed automatic transmission will be offered for V8 variants, shared with General Motors’ flagship Cadillac cars and the Chevrolet Corvette.

• GM 6L80E six-speed automatic transmission with Active Select (introduced in the Cadillac STS-V in the United States) makes its Australian debut as an option in all V8 variants (as we predicted back in issue 107)
• Tremec T56 six-speed manual in SS and SS V
• GM 5L40E five-speed automatic with Active Select in Calais V6
• Aisin AY6 six-speed manual in SV6
• GM 4L60E four-speed automatic in Omega and Berlina
Safety
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) standard on all models
• Driver, front passenger and side impact airbags available on all models
• Occupant protection system designed for real world driving environment
• Curtain airbags available on all models - standard on SS V, Calais and Calais V; optional on Omega, Berlina, SV6 and SS
• Ultra-stiff body structure, multiple load path strategy, structurally optimised front and rear deformation zones
• Greatly expanded use of super-strength and high-strength steels in the body Technology
• All-new heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
• Zone-based front and rear park assist systems available on selected models
• Multi-function display reporting system
• Bluetooth standard on all models except optional on Omega
• Roof-mounted DVD systems available on all models
• Auxiliary plug in audio systems to accommodate MP3 devices
• Integrated navigation and telematics systems available later in 2006
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #312
Falcon Freak
Banned

I told people last year that the VE wouldn't be using the ZF six speed. But nobody believed me.

I can't believe they are still going to offer a 4 speed auto in the poverty pack model. Even the unloved Mitsubishi 380 has a 5 speed auto as standard. And Orion will move to a 5 speed auto for the poverty pack models.

Interesting to note that Holden haven't released the kerb weights of the new VE models!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #313
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

It is quite obvious why they have chosen to go with V series names...

As some of you might (or might not know) the V series goes hand in hand with the Cadillac models, which Holden is hoping to bring to Australia. So, it makes sense to get the public used to the premium model V series before bringing the Cadallic CTS-V, STS-V etc etc

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #314
FPV

I think they have degraded the V series name actually. The cadillac V series is a performance brand similar to HSV and is meant to deal with the likes of AMG and M. The V series for Holden is just normal models with a bit of sportiness and a v8 engine thats on par with the E550 and the 550i.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #315
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Caprice gets a BOSE sound system. Nice! Also noticed it has LED indicator lights in the side chrome flute vent.
2011 Audi A4 2.7 TDI - gone
2012 Audi A5 3.0 Quattro Coupe - gone
2007 FPV GT - gone
1996 EFII Fairmont Ghia - gone
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:28 PM   #316
maxs
Starter Motor

The American forums, love it.
maxs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #317
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

looks like the front of a xt falcon the back of a merc.
color coded dash board on the SS is :

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #318
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pity they didnt raise the Bar and have the 5 or 6 Auto std on the 6's. I bet Ford was ready to bring the 6 Auto out on every model in BF2. Pity.

Interesting no weight or fuel consumption figures?
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 04:54 PM   #319
XR8putts

Although the best commodore ever, I'm underwhelmed.

* Performance V8 power is only 10kW more than BA XR8.
* Xneons and leads only standard/avaliable in LWB models, upwards of $65K.
* Kerb weight to be atleast 100kg more than current commodore.
* BA XT still makes more power than entry level commodore.
* Price to be atleast $1800 up on current commodore accross the range.
* Still got the ancient POS 4-speed auto.
* One can only hope that disney couloured-dash on the SS-V is optional.
* I believe that 20" is too big for an SS, luckily its only an option, but on the HSVs it probably won't be.. ride, comfort, tyre replacement costs, question of the spare in the boot (20"/17"/ruberband/none at all?)
* Personal opinion: Looks too much like the BA/BF

I still believe it is the best commodore ever, and was expecting to be blown away - just didn't happen.
The rear in my opinion is akward and ugly, although it must be said thatthe interiors are stunning, in all models. One thing that really bugs me, is that this is a clean-sheet-of-paper car, meaning Holden could do anything, why then does the back of the new VE look so damn similar to the VZ??

I for one think the BF2 will do just fine against the VE, especially with increased weight and higher prices for the VE, I also believe that ford will probably up each engine by 5kW as the saw the VE coming a mile away.
Ford dont need to worry about this car, the BF2 will only have to add a few new colours, whele changes, DSC maybe accross the range and some tiny details.

Current events, especially in the last two days, have driven petrol prices higher and higher, when the VE will be avaliable to buy/pickup expect prices to be 5-10c higher than they are today. That little war on the other side of the planet has the potential to sink the VE.

The HSVs are gonna be awesome though, but then again I said the same about the VE a month ago so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ute? Wagon?
Come to think of it, have we even seen spyshots of a ute or wagon or even rumours?............

Last edited by XR8putts; 16-07-2006 at 05:09 PM.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #320
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=puts99]Although the best commodore

Current events, especially in the last two days, have driven petrol prices higher and higher, when the VE will be avaliable to buy/pickup expect prices to be 5-10c higher than they are today. That little war on the other side of the planet has the potential to sink the VE.

QUOTE]

There will be some strong intitial interest as there is with any new Commodore or Falcon launch but I still maintain Ford went in the right direction with BF using less fuel than BA without sacrificing {increasing a bonus} power. Theres a reason fleets are going to Corollas and its not because they are better cars than Falcons or Commodores. Let Holden get heavier and use more fuel..Its not the way of the future!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #321
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Ute release is a fair way off yet, If I remember, late this year, early next year.
Old 16-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #322
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Ute? Wagon?
Come to think of it, have we even seen spyshots of a ute or wagon or even rumours?............
VE Wagon not due until 3rd quarter 2008. VE Ute probably the same timeframe or a little latter.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #323
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

If the current line up of VZ HSV's is called the "Z series" does that mean that the VE line up will called the HSV "E series"?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #324
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

With all the big brand name manufacturer's now going big in wheel sizes, like 18'' and above, I wonder if the prices are going to become a little more in reach off the avearge joe, I'd hate to be paying for 20'' tyre's every 20klm's??????.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #325
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well our XR5T has 18s, and the HSV VXR has 19s... so the commodore isn't too far off!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #326
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEL
If the current line up of VZ HSV's is called the "Z series" does that mean that the VE line up will called the HSV "E series"?
It would appear that way
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #327
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
the cars look good..almost futuristic or euro styles. i dunno why evry1 is happy though...is any1 gunna buy 1? if so they should get off this site.

Some people appreciate cars and can see beyond the badge. Otherwise what is the incentive for Ford to improve its products if the same old crowd will buy whatever they make. Holden getting better product is good for all of us and for me anyway, I buy what I like and not just because it has a blue oval on it. I like cars not just Ford.

Daniel
BA GT
TS Territory
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #328
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of it but to me it does look very BA Falcon.

Specs wise holden havn't released weights, or fuel consumption yet so I will withhold final judgement - but I do struggle to see the car being a runaway success with the way fuel prices are going - many buyers have turned to mid-size 4 cyl cars like the Accord Euro and Mazda 6, if I had close to $40K to spend and I wasn't after a ball-tearing performance car then it would definatly still be the honda or mazda rather than an omega or berlina.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #329
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else noticed how all the pictures released are of the mid/high level cars? :lookedat:
Should be interesting to see what the omega looks like with its 16" hub caps and ho-hum bumpers. I have a sneeking suspicion that the interior plastics and driveline in the base model omega are going to be very nasty (as suggested by the stock 4 speed auto). It'll be a 'fleet special' in the true sense of the word..

The SS looks like a mutant with an over the top rear wing, massive front bumper and 4wd spec ride height.

Panel fit looks to be very good but you'd expect that given that all the body tooling was done by the Japanese. The interiors look like a huge step forward but i'm more interested to see the quality of the plastics. The BA's interior looks good too - until you sit in it and feel the cheap a**e plastics.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #330
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

My opinion is ford better pull a rabbit out of a hat or they will struggle to sell 2000 falcons a month. Fact is they cant match sales of a 9 year old model so a brand new one that looks the goods is gunna hurt.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post