Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #541
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
isn't the VE Berlina the old VZ Aclaim?
If so how can this be a $4k discount..
Eg:
Would this be like Ford dropping the BA Futura, calling it the new BF Fairmont and saying the BF Fairmont has dropped in price, when in actual fact its the same car with a name change from a previous more prestige model.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now play nice boys...
It still has all the Berlina option as standard.
The Acclaim was just a tarted up executive with some safety options but nothing on the luxury side.
Old 18-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #542
ltd
Force Fed Fords

What about all the poor bastards who bought a VZ, VY, VX etc. All their resale prices will bottom out. Nothing quite like a holden huh. First, we release an update every 6-12 months to ensure your car aint worth much, then we release our car at a cheaper price. What a bunch of *******. The poor shacka who spent 55k on his VZSS now finds out instead of it being worth 45k at 3 months old, is now worth less than 35k. Go Holden.
Typical idiotic mentality that in order to sell more we lower the price. Hopefully their margins hurt like buggery as they have done what mmal has done. Fools.
Let's look at the balance sheet in 12 months and see who made the best decision.
Before the intellectually challenged believe their own opinions of cheaper is better, ask yourself this; why do mercedes and bmw sell a huge volume of cars worldwide. Again, before you try to answer with what would be an overly simplistic view remember I'm talking from a business standpoint here. (BTW I have an MBA and over 15 years experience).

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #543
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
What about all the poor bastards who bought a VZ, VY, VX etc. All their resale prices will bottom out. Nothing quite like a holden huh. First, we release an update every 6-12 months to ensure your car aint worth much, then we release our car at a cheaper price. What a bunch of *******. The poor shacka who spent 55k on his VZSS now finds out instead of it being worth 45k at 3 months old, is now worth less than 35k. Go Holden.
Typical idiotic mentality that in order to sell more we lower the price. Hopefully their margins hurt like buggery as they have done what mmal has done. Fools.
Let's look at the balance sheet in 12 months and see who made the best decision.
Before the intellectually challenged believe their own opinions of cheaper is better, ask yourself this; why do mercedes and bmw sell a huge volume of cars worldwide. Again, before you try to answer with what would be an overly simplistic view remember I'm talking from a business standpoint here. (BTW I have an MBA and over 15 years experience).
Because they sell to the toffs They don't sell fleet.
They don't price there cars to the small people, They price them to the more rich and they make enough of there money back to make more models and more updates.
There not after mum and dad with 3 kids and $55,000 between them per year.
There cars only rely on private sales. So thats more money in the bank with no discounts needed, The only time you see a Merc discounted is when it's a Right-off.
They only need to sell 500 cars here per year to make a massive profit of it. They don't need to worry about fuel prices they have a upper market which people believe if you have won some money and want to look good buy a Mercedes or BMW. They stick cars in market that need them, They don't build cars for fun or mass markets like Holden and Ford they build for a group around it.
Plus you also get people that belove cause it's Mercedes it's the best of everything. Then you also get people like i know that wont buy anything else because they are German and so is the car..

VX 2 series only from 99-2002. VY 2 series only 2002-2004. 2004 VZ 1 series with mid-life upgrades to pass it till VE. I'd be more worried if they did a Mitsubishi 380.
I don't feel for the people who bough VX-VY-VZ that's the car they wanted they buy it?.
I feel for the one's that bough a exclusive GTS worth $100k. And a $60k Clubsport comes along and pretty much get right up it hard.
Old 18-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #544
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Slick, Mercedes and BMW don't do too much mainstream fleet, however they still do some fleet.
An awful lot of businesses buy them for the tax incentive of reducing profit and ergo taxable profit at that. The cars are what they are for both marquees market perceptions of quality, technology and style. They also have excellent resale and are not considered in the same group as holden who make "throw away cars". Because Holden have lowered their prices significantly there will be alot of owners burned and as a direct result, Holden sales will suffer from customers not willing to return to the brand. But by far the biggest problem Holden will face is in their product positioning. Already amassed with the task of dishevelling the cheap Korean sourced label, Holden have now drawn attention to their cheaper and perceived lower quality vehicle by the fact they have lowered their prices. Regardless of the source a massive price reduction only serves to lower a companies image from being a semi economically driven, semi quality provider to a cheap and potentially nasty brand. MMAL made the same mistake with the 380 and it did not live up to all the hype. I put it to you sir that not everyone wants to pay 8 thousand less for a caprice when their previous caprice cost 75k. Fundamentally, I see this move will instead of encouraging buyers, dissuade them from the brand as again, the cheap and nasty label will be the scourge of holdens fortunes. This coupled with the lack of control over sourced parts and their quality will mean a typical recall on something silly will have disastrous consequences.

Like I said before, let's wait until we see the balance sheet. I'll bet the executive who devised this "all conquering" strategy is canned by the end of the year.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #545
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Also, Ford now have the upper hand able to discount their cars based on lower costs due to having recouped their BA development costs. They will throw so much fruit at the BF2 that Holden will have to survive on minimal margins until their new and over expensive development breaks even.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 18-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #546
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

agreed ltd holden will be playing catchup for some time to come as far as the financial side of things go.
and the ve has been hyped up and talked about for so long anyone that bought a vz and couldnt foresee the depreciation in it is a moron! no exceptions its common sense.

the ve is no new thing they have been rambling on about how good it will be for so long im sick of the car already. all their rnd money has been put into marketing obviously. and the people they fool are morons again for believing their rubbish and not having a second look to see why they are supposedly so much cheaper

and as for the the luxo models if they kept the same price of course they arent gonna sell any more because the vz luxo models arent selling anyway. especially with the 300c now on the market for so cheap which has been proven superior to the aussie luxo models

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #547
blackahcdx

Ahh, no, the Berlina isn't the new Acclaim, because it hasn't lost any features.

And the only Feature the Old SS has lost to be cheaper is the Leather. Everything is the same except now it has ESP and the option of the 6 speed auto. The old SV8 only has 17's, single CD, and no sports seats and no climate control.

So i think its a great saving.

Same with the new Berlina, it has everything the old model had, plus more. Remember old model didn't have ESP (like the Acclaim), now has dual zone climate control and other stuff.

Anway i'm shocked by how cheap everything is
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #548
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Thnaks for that blackahcdx.
Second that. I thought it was going to take me ages to find the pricing. That sis impressive and goes a long way to explaining why VE hasn't move the genre on like I was expecting. Interest strategy.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #549
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Ahh, no, the Berlina isn't the new Acclaim, because it hasn't lost any features.
No projector headlights.

No door grab handles.

Cheap cloth seats instead of velour.

Havent even looked at the specs properly yet but picked these items up straight away.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #550
blackahcdx

oh i missed those

but they are pretty small really, and things u can cope for the price saving.

And how do u know the cloth is cheap? have u seen it yet?
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #551
freaky

Quote:
oh i missed those

but they are pretty small really, and things u can cope for the price saving.

And how do u know the cloth is cheap? have u seen it yet?
For me, the lack of door grab handles alone would put me off considering it.

Regarding the cloth. I havent seen it in the flesh, but did realise it was cloth in the hi res pics, as opposed to all the preceding Berlina's ie VZ/VY all had standard velour like the Calais.

The Berlina/Calais where always aligned at the higher luxury end. Now the Berlina is targeted as another option for fleets.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #552
HSE2

That SS price reduction< is that based on the SV8 or the previous SS?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 18-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #553
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Slick, Mercedes and BMW don't do too much mainstream fleet, however they still do some fleet.
An awful lot of businesses buy them for the tax incentive of reducing profit and ergo taxable profit at that. The cars are what they are for both marquees market perceptions of quality, technology and style. They also have excellent resale and are not considered in the same group as holden who make "throw away cars". Because Holden have lowered their prices significantly there will be alot of owners burned and as a direct result, Holden sales will suffer from customers not willing to return to the brand. But by far the biggest problem Holden will face is in their product positioning. Already amassed with the task of dishevelling the cheap Korean sourced label, Holden have now drawn attention to their cheaper and perceived lower quality vehicle by the fact they have lowered their prices. Regardless of the source a massive price reduction only serves to lower a companies image from being a semi economically driven, semi quality provider to a cheap and potentially nasty brand. MMAL made the same mistake with the 380 and it did not live up to all the hype. I put it to you sir that not everyone wants to pay 8 thousand less for a caprice when their previous caprice cost 75k. Fundamentally, I see this move will instead of encouraging buyers, dissuade them from the brand as again, the cheap and nasty label will be the scourge of holdens fortunes. This coupled with the lack of control over sourced parts and their quality will mean a typical recall on something silly will have disastrous consequences.

Like I said before, let's wait until we see the balance sheet. I'll bet the executive who devised this "all conquering" strategy is canned by the end of the year.
It's not to undercut the old models it's to encourage new sales to people that want to buy a car but might go for a smaller car.
It gives say a single person on $37,000 per year a chance to buy a new car and not just the base model. It gives the people the chance to trade-in there old VT-VZ and buy the new model, With these prices i think they are really trying to push you into picking something with more and not paying the price you did last year.
I test drove a VY Series 2 not to long ago @ $17,500. I really want a VZ. But both them choices will be in the base models. I'd rather have Full Air bags power windows all the safety options that you could only get on the more expensive Acclaim. Chances of getting one without my price range Not going to happen. But maybe a ex fleet VE might pop up and be available to me.
If i had the money to buy a new one i would, I wouldn't worry about old model or if i just got a VZ run out because i know i picked up one of the last ones at a great bargain. As you do with run-out models. It's maybe the best time to pick up a car. I remember there was a new Series3 Monaro for sale when the VZ monaro was out, It was being sold for $49,000 with full options.
When a new fresh model comes out you got to expect it to be everything the old one was but with more value. It's bigger then the gap between the VS-VT. It's the first real clean sheet since well it's the first real clean sheet.

It's a difficult time now with petrol and difficult decisions need to be made. If they are serious on selling these cars they got to move them. If they had to cut back some of the profit to sell them so be it try anything to get people back into large cars.
But from what we have seen so far i can't say it looks cheap.
But i believe the only reason the Caprice is cheaper is because of it's overseas market that brings in the biggest profit. Which then with the new model allows it to be cheaper on our end. Would you agree?.

With mercedes and BMW when they make a car per car profit would be 2-4 times more then holden or ford.
Old 18-07-2006, 10:35 PM   #554
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Ian, driving impressions put aside, what are your thought's on the design?

I know you've been quite keen on this release, i look forward to your opinion.
Provide I reserve the right to adjust accordingly when the car gets into its real world settings, it started badly when the very first picture I saw was one that made the SS-V look like a Camry. It got worse when today I saw the Omega for the first time and thought I was looking at the current Sonata.

I am really only interested in the HSV version but the SS was certainly of interest. The simple answer has to be disappointed. The front of the SS V makes it look narrow and tall from some angles. It doesn’t belong on that car and the rear nearly as bad for a car with such a stunning side profile. There are elements that are overtly fussy for a conservative body. It’s certainly not offensive to look at but at the same time I don’t see the emotion and I don’t see this presence every one speaks of. Large flared guards are a hard design to pull off when the front has such sort over hangs. Said from day one the wheel tyre package will be critical to this car and I see no reason why this has changed.

The commodore has lost some of its identity some of that raw Australian edge and I am not sure it’s served well by the new designs.

The interiors look to be the big improvements and worth the upgrade for existing owners alone. However some pictures of the SS V interior do cast question over quality. I don't like the centre console upright stopping as it does; the Calais design however looks to be outstanding. As you know I support this differential policy between models and was addiment the BA change was a mistake for our premium models. I stand by that assessment today. Holden look to have retained their superior info display format but have picked a much more pleasing method of presentation.

The LWB cars I think are very good especially in some of their shots. Excellent attention to minor detail.

Blink with this release and you miss a days reading, but so far it’s not what I was expecting.

One line
Disappointed. I was expecting more, a shape of the future not a look at the past.

I am expecting bigger things from the HSVs but wish Holden all the best with this new product. For Holden this is a great car and I look forward to reading the driving impressions. I hope they don’t get too much crap about the weight.

Last edited by HSE2; 18-07-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 18-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #555
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Actually this Commodore shares nothing with the Opel Omega. Although i agree thats its strange to choose the Omega name.
Regardless of the actual name chosen, having dropped the Exec and Acclaim models I'd guess Holden had to use a new name to span the two previous models. If they used only the Acclaim name to cover the missing Exec for VE some would think it too expensive if after a base model while using the old Exec name would give too much "pov-pack" connotations for old Acclaim buyers.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #556
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'd say Holden will do the same thing as Ford did for the BA, keep the starting price low then jack up the price every 6 months.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:07 PM   #557
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Provide I reserve the right to adjust accordingly when the car gets into its real world settings, it started badly when the very first picture I saw was one that made the SS-V look like a Camry. It got worse when today I saw the Omega for the first time and thought I was looking at the current Sonata.

I am really only interested in the HSV version but the SS was certainly of interest. The simple answer has to be disappointed. The front of the SS V makes it look narrow and tall from some angles. It doesn’t belong on that car and the rear nearly as bad for a car with such a stunning side profile. There are elements that are overtly fussy for a conservative body. It’s certainly not offensive to look at but at the same time I don’t see the emotion and I don’t see this presence every one speaks of. Large flared guards are a hard design to pull off when the front has such sort over hangs. Said from day one the wheel tyre package will be critical to this car and I see no reason why this has changed.

The commodore has lost some of its identity some of that raw Australian edge and I am not sure it’s served well by the new designs.

The interiors look to be the big improvements and worth the upgrade for existing owners alone. However some pictures of the SS V interior do cast question over quality. I don't like the centre console upright stopping as it does; the Calais design however looks to be outstanding. As you know I support this differential policy between models and was addiment the BA change was a mistake for our premium models. I stand by that assessment today. Holden look to have retained their superior info display format but have picked a much more pleasing method of presentation.

The LWB cars I think are very good especially in some of their shots. Excellent attention to minor detail.

Blink with this release and you miss a days reading, but so far it’s not what I was expecting.

One line
Disappointed. I was expecting more, a shape of the future not a look at the past.

I am expecting bigger things from the HSVs but wish Holden all the best with this new product. For Holden this is a great car and I look forward to reading the driving impressions. I hope they don’t get too much crap about the weight.
Thanks for a nicely explained opinion. I agree with your description of the SS, from directly front on and slightly below bonnet height, (the first time I saw it) it looks out of proportion, narrow and tall, too much below bumper fussyness.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #558
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Thanks for a nicely explained opinion. I agree with your description of the SS, from directly front on and slightly below bonnet height, (the first time I saw it) it looks out of proportion, narrow and tall, too much below bumper fussyness.
If the SS is that plasticky I'd hate to see how much plastic HSV will use. The size of the front bar is huge.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 01:02 AM   #559
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
It's not to undercut the old models it's to encourage new sales to people that want to buy a car but might go for a smaller car.
It gives say a single person on $37,000 per year a chance to buy a new car and not just the base model. It gives the people the chance to trade-in there old VT-VZ and buy the new model, With these prices i think they are really trying to push you into picking something with more and not paying the price you did last year.
I test drove a VY Series 2 not to long ago @ $17,500. I really want a VZ. But both them choices will be in the base models. I'd rather have Full Air bags power windows all the safety options that you could only get on the more expensive Acclaim. Chances of getting one without my price range Not going to happen. But maybe a ex fleet VE might pop up and be available to me.
If i had the money to buy a new one i would, I wouldn't worry about old model or if i just got a VZ run out because i know i picked up one of the last ones at a great bargain. As you do with run-out models. It's maybe the best time to pick up a car. I remember there was a new Series3 Monaro for sale when the VZ monaro was out, It was being sold for $49,000 with full options.
When a new fresh model comes out you got to expect it to be everything the old one was but with more value. It's bigger then the gap between the VS-VT. It's the first real clean sheet since well it's the first real clean sheet.

It's a difficult time now with petrol and difficult decisions need to be made. If they are serious on selling these cars they got to move them. If they had to cut back some of the profit to sell them so be it try anything to get people back into large cars.
But from what we have seen so far i can't say it looks cheap.
But i believe the only reason the Caprice is cheaper is because of it's overseas market that brings in the biggest profit. Which then with the new model allows it to be cheaper on our end. Would you agree?.

With mercedes and BMW when they make a car per car profit would be 2-4 times more then holden or ford.
Slick, you've raised some good points; my point was more from a standpoint of sellers of existing holdens.
For example, at suttons they have a three month old commodore going for 5 grand less than the new car. When the VE comes out this will be redundant and they will have to lower the price otherwise you could get the ve for 1 grand more. As a net result, the price of this vz will drop significantly to have a prayer of being viewed competitively, and as such trade ins, and the private market will suffer greatly.

As for the cars quality, I will not make assumptions as until I have driven the car and been given a chance to evaluate it on its merits/deficiencies I'll reserve judgement. However, an existing product suddenly having a significant price drop when world commodities such as crude and iron ore dictate higher prices suggests to consumers that the car must not be built the same way. Volkswagen is experiencing the same customer backlash from owners of the preceding passat model and the cheaper replacement. May be a short term gain and it may win new customers but the old loyal customers will feel slightly cheated.

Much has been made already about the origins of a lot of the ve's parts. This in my view will only serve to heighten the speculation that much of the car is in fact sourced from Daewoo. Again, quality may be excellent, but market perception is another thing and consumers can take time to warm to a foreign sourced components based car. Much the same as Hyundai struggled initially in the very early 90's with the excel (before the bubble in 95), and the same that daewoo has struggled. I guess the litmus test here will be the market acceptance of the captiva.
BMW and Merc are taxed to within an inch of their lives here. In america, an S500 will set you back around 90-100k. Here in Oz the same car is 270K.

It's all about market perception.
I have a few LTD's (hence my name) and a W220 S500. Whenever I go to crows nest and park one of the fords on the cafe strip people take little notice. Do the same in the benz and alot of people notice. Same person, same income etc and yet different reactions. (It is also fun to wear a Big Boys Toys shirt and a jacket with aero manufacturer logos and a patch indicating my liking to the smell of burnt jet fuel)

Is the benz any better car than the fords? In some ways yes. Is the benz worth 200k more than the fords? No way. But again, it is all about market perceptions, and ergo the different reactions. I can tell you though that in my business, to improve sales and get more long term customers lowering the price only serves to erode margins and has no financial gain whatsoever - just means you work twice as hard for less money, and the customer rates your cheaper product as inferior because it is less than what the market is prepared to pay.

Quote: