Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #571
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Still no standard A/C- You gotta love Holden and there "low" RRP prices.

Australia the dryest continent on earth and one of the hottest and still no standard A/C on its most popular car. I think even the Kia Rio has A/C standard now.
Only the Omega has optional A/C. And immediately theres a special model called Commodore V, which seems to be Omega with Air and something else.

And just to compare prices, these are from the Ford web site today.
XT Falcon 6 cyl 4speed auto = $35,880 (A/C is std)
Add rear power windows $470 = $36,350

Omega with air = $36,490
So not much difference in price, but VE also has additional features (ie ESP).
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #572
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Tell me if I'm wrong, Your saying that a lower priced new model with the lot, Against a new previous model with as much as it had then but well under spec'd compared to the new model will suffer, Which will mean lower profits on the out going cars. Which then in turn hits the owners pocket when they go to trade that 04-05 VZ in and only get offered $10,000-$13,000 on the base model, Because the way the market is set up is for it to drop it's price as it's driven out the door?.
So that hurts Holden's share of profit, Then the sellers profit, And then the buyers sale or trade-in.

Well i brought this up once in another forum that a Falcon Commodore based on value for money was a far safer more quality car then any Mercedes based on per $ and budget development. I got a bad reception on it.

I have recently seen the passat and jetta models and thought they look great, Seen them on-line and didn't like them. More impressive in the flesh.
You're getting it. Ask any salesman the best way to sell more and they will tell you to cut prices. This is very shortsighted. People are prepared to pay for quality and as such have a sort of expectation of what it should cost. When something doesn't cost that much people want to know why it is less than the competition, and especially in markets like electronics lower cost is typically frowned upon. Look at Goldstar. It was cheap as chips, and the quality was crap. 10 years later they rebrand as LG (short for Lucky Goldstar) and look at what people are prepared to pay now. It is commonly referred to as the industry leader. Still the same factory, still the same management and they win more marketshare by being expensive and ergo win a perception of value and quality.

Thing is, undercutting the competition is an aggressive approach to your market, however undercutting with a new product is literally a hair away from sheer brilliance to suicide. Holden will be trying to recoup their investment as quickly as possible, however with lower margins it will take longer. As the Omega is roughly around the same price as the executive, there should be minimal impact. However, on the upper end models; the models typically bought by private and small business buyers, cheaper does not mean better and the direct result can be a question over the vehicles perceived quality.

Of course their margins are probably the same as on the last car, however because of the foreign sourced parts their overall vehicle cost may be less. But for evidence of foreign sourced for the big australian look at the backlash against the barina. The media have not been friendly to that car or whichever is the rebadged Kalos and as such sales have taken a hit. I'm not suggesting the commodore will founder as a result however if the media don't love it then it could hurt Holden.
Finally, I don't wish to see ill will to any of our car manufacturers as they spur each other on to greatness with their competitiveness.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #573
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
You're getting it. Ask any salesman the best way to sell more and they will tell you to cut prices. This is very shortsighted. People are prepared to pay for quality and as such have a sort of expectation of what it should cost. When something doesn't cost that much people want to know why it is less than the competition, and especially in markets like electronics lower cost is typically frowned upon. Look at Goldstar. It was cheap as chips, and the quality was crap. 10 years later they rebrand as LG (short for Lucky Goldstar) and look at what people are prepared to pay now. It is commonly referred to as the industry leader. Still the same factory, still the same management and they win more marketshare by being expensive and ergo win a perception of value and quality.

Thing is, undercutting the competition is an aggressive approach to your market, however undercutting with a new product is literally a hair away from sheer brilliance to suicide. Holden will be trying to recoup their investment as quickly as possible, however with lower margins it will take longer. As the Omega is roughly around the same price as the executive, there should be minimal impact. However, on the upper end models; the models typically bought by private and small business buyers, cheaper does not mean better and the direct result can be a question over the vehicles perceived quality.

Of course their margins are probably the same as on the last car, however because of the foreign sourced parts their overall vehicle cost may be less. But for evidence of foreign sourced for the big australian look at the backlash against the barina. The media have not been friendly to that car or whichever is the rebadged Kalos and as such sales have taken a hit. I'm not suggesting the commodore will founder as a result however if the media don't love it then it could hurt Holden.
Finally, I don't wish to see ill will to any of our car manufacturers as they spur each other on to greatness with their competitiveness.
Bit like the Phone i was thinking of buying not long ago. Second hand price is about $140. New is $200+, This one comes along @ $100 brand new, I was very sceptical of it i didn't trust it because the Price was so cheap.

Actually the only people to win with lower prices are the second hand buyers. I was prepared to by a 2003 VY Commodore in February for $14,000, Only 3 month later they had a lower km 04 VZ Commodore for $15,990. Now when a VE comes around at the same age it should be as cheap as a 04 VZ Commodore in 2008-2009. Second hand buyers will win but trade ins drop.
I see what your saying you might be able to sell say 50,000 cars @ $34,000 With say half being a profit $765000000, But you might be able to sell and prepare for only 45,000 cars @ $36,000 with more then half being a profit $810000000. You might sell less but your profit is intact and you did less to make that money And you wont hurt resale and no need to cut prices. And you don't step on the model before toes so early.
Old 20-07-2006, 08:54 AM   #574
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Still no standard A/C- You gotta love Holden and there "low" RRP prices.

Australia the dryest continent on earth and one of the hottest and still no standard A/C on its most popular car. I think even the Kia Rio has A/C standard now.

actually the driest continent is Antartica :p
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #575
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dramatic price discounting is dangerous for a number of reasons, it signals your cost breat point, or if you like "dealer profit margin", it also can have the effect of signalling a lack of confidence in your product to compete head to head with the competition on its merits....
Changing pricing by defusing or confusing the market at a model change is a smarter way of doing it and add the fact that there's been some clever spec and model shuffling to further confuse the issue helps but i think to sell a product purely on price is a dangerous thing to do and lacks sustainability.
I also think there will be a backlash from the second hand market as the percetion they've tried to create that the SS is now allot cheaper will backfire with the trade-in/resale prices of 1-4 year old cars...
That said i don't believe the discounting is as drastic as it appears on paper for the simple reason that again, there's been some clever shuffling of model names and specifications.

Old 20-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #576
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Theres more to pricing than just making it cheap.

Say Holden would normally sell 30,000 of the Exec/Omega class car @ price 1, then by reducing the cost (and possible with VE also keeping the old margins by selective sourcing), to price 2 they may be able to sell 50,000 units.

That has many effects
1/ they make their margin over a larger volume
2/ they keep their workforce employed, possible even increase there workforce.
3/ they meet their supply targets to take a higher volume for a lower price, hence reducing units costs and either allowing the lower price or increasing the margins
4/ they have more cars on the road hence self marketing reduces overall marketing costs (double edged sword as not everyone wants a "common" car)
5/ they take 20,000 sales from their competitors, hence reducing their ability to sell.
6/ They depress resale values, but only until the discounted model flushes through as its resale reflects its discounted buy price. ie it only effects a subset of buyers, most of whom still find the 50% loss on a Ford/Holden better than a 50% loss on a equal spec euro car at 2x the initial price.
Old 20-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #577
ltd
Force Fed Fords

true 4v, sort of like say ford selling the fairlane for 25 grand; and the extras are say engine, 6 grand, transmission 7 grand, ac 2 grand etc. Total cost = 56k

Boeing sell the 747 for 202 million USD, yet it does not come with engines. You actually have to organise and buy the engines seperately.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 20-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #578
ltd
Force Fed Fords

badmac look at MMAL, they tried the same thing too. Are they a roaring success?

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 20-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #579
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
badmac look at MMAL, they tried the same thing too. Are they a roaring success?
Yeah but they started from a weak position and lower prices were seen as just desperation. Holden and Ford both enjoy the position of being perceived to be Australian, have solid products, and will be there for the life of their warrenty. Therefore if they do a low cost volume model it is seen in a different light.

This is the same problem Toyota has, but given there reputation for quality they may pull it off. The first place they will cannabolise sales from will be swing voters. MMAL needs these people and Toyota/Holden will mop them up.

I would say Ford should just cruise along with about the same sale. You certainly won't see an upswing.

By the way heres a prediction for this months Vfacts. I bet Falcon beats Commodore.
Old 21-07-2006, 01:43 AM   #580
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Can I just say, for a New Zealander BadMac knows his stuff! _2:

I haven't been online all day, but agree with everything he has said.

I think the 'lower' pricing is to increase initial sales, and get the word-of-mouth and marketing out there, hence creating increased interested in the VE Commodore. Once people have seen what a great value it might be, then they may either;

1. Sell more products... hence not having to move the prices
2. Realise that no one else has an as good product, and hence increase prices slightly.

Mitsubishi screwed up. They started far too high (considering they had to get people back to their brand after the Magna flop), and then had to re-shuffle their packaging to bring out the same car, at a cheaper price. Quite obvious then that they were not meeting predicted sales. Oh well, they had a great product, and screwed with the pricing. People were just not prepared to pay such high dollar for a Mitsubishi, which was never known as being a market leader and having high resales. A pity though, as they don't seem too bad... at the right price

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #581
ltd
Force Fed Fords

badmac I agree with what you are saying, however I think the ve can potentially suffer from the following.

Lower sales due to disenfranchised vz, vy customers whose resale has suddenly dropped an extra 5k
Lower sales due to market perception that cheaper is not always better
Calling attention to Korean sourced parts from a lower price leaving people to question how it can be lower priced
Undercutting a competitor who can beat it on fuel economy - and has their next update based on fuel economy; and has room to discount at the end of a model life.

If the VE was built the same way the VZ was and was kept the same sort of pricing I dare say Ford would be in real trouble. I know that most people think that a lower price means you sell more but I believe this is a misconception. As stated in an earlier post people are prepared to pay for quality. The die hard Holden fans and the general public may question that quality when a brand new car is able to be sold for a few grand less at the beginning of the model life. This either means the car is cheaper to produce and ergo makes the perceived quality questionable, or it is indeed being discounted at launch (which can only have a short term gain). Add to this the people who would trade in their VY, VZ for a VE and find the value has dropped significantly. We'll wait and see.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 21-07-2006, 09:04 AM   #582
ltd
Force Fed Fords

The car has a mixed reception. Check this out.
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=18555&vf=3

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 21-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #583
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I didn't even bother to right in on that, I seen a lot of fan boys on both sides kill it, Same happen when the BA-VY first came out it's not worth the hassle to make a post in it.
Old 21-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #584
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hey slick, I'm not putting the Holden down, I think any manufacturer either Ford or Holden are going to have a hard job convincing the motoring public that large cars are anything but gas guzzlers. This is especially true when other manufacturers advertise fuel efficient cars.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 21-07-2006, 12:37 PM   #585
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

I just remember one of the comments on engine size It's a huge gas guzzlers, I think it might have been a 4 banger lover.
True it's hard and i think at times they really forget how far our Family size cars have come in fuel Economy, Take the Falcon and Commodore of today, Probably match a 4 cyl of the early 90's in fuel economy now. They even get V8's to run what the 20 year plus 6's ran in economy thats pretty good.
My sister owns a Proton Gen2 and she can get anywhere on average from 7.2-10.5l/100, And it's the summer time where it kills it's economy, Then not long ago when my brother was staying here he was going to work which was a short freeway trip and to he's mates after work and back home, He was getting it to run at 10.9l/100, Thats a BA Fairmont I6 Auto and thats pretty good economy.
My car runs with over 300,000km 14.5l/100 on average, the old Buick V6 wasn't the best with economy in the line of V6's before Ecotec. I'm very happy with my last 3 full tanks always getting over 450km, (Only took me 12 months to fix the fuel problem).
But your right it's the publics perception now wheres before it was V8's are guzzlers now it's large cars with 6's and 8's. even though people seem to buy V8's like normal?.
It's really a shame they can't see past the large and the big.
Old 21-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #586
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

ltd, have you read every post? The car isn't too much cheaper. Remember, if you reduce the size of your model range, you may increase efficiency. Just because Holden is more efficient now (I remember reading something about the steel being cheaper now, and easier to produce. Also, they now produce cars they will sell, so they don't over-supply hence bring too many discount models to clear stock). If they are more efficient, and have better stock control, they can bring out the car at a cheaper price.

As some have mentioned, there has been a re-shuffle, so the prices aren't exactly cheaper. I really doubt people will think quality has changed just because they are able to bring out a car for $1,000 less then the previous model.

Sure, if they all of a sudden had the base Omega at $30,990 drive away, I'd think something was up. A few hundred dollars difference (to comparable VZ models) isn't going to make a big difference.

Also, who said heaps of the car was coming from Korea? I read an article saying 2/3s of the vehicle was Australian. A reason why they didn't reach the previous industry standard of 80% (Australian), was because major components like Transmissions and Engines were from overseas, and account for a high percentage of the final price of the car.

About the previous Commodore owners being annoyed at reduced prices - get over it... this has happened for years now, with both the Falcon and Commodore. They release new models/updates more often then most other cars.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #587
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Teki, check drive.com.au and carsguide.com.au for the amount of outsourced parts.
Furthermore, if someone told you steel was cheaper then they have their head up their proverbial. That would be akin to saying oil is cheaper.
Mild Steel has gone up over 230% in the last 5 years alone, Stainless Steel is starting to steadily move up now. Alot of the interior you see comes from Korea, and alot of the electronics too. This is not to impugn holden at all, as most electronics are being made under licence in Korea for companies like bosch etc.
There is an 8000 dollar difference on caprices, and the high end cars are significantly cheaper (over 10%).
BTW, I have read every post and have responded to a number of them.

Quote: