Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
steerage250

Default MC Ecoboost engine hesitation/stalling

Over the last few years, my wife has reported that our MC Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost very occasionally hesitates when she puts her foot down to pull into, or across traffic - from a standing start. Naturally, this can be a bit nerve-wracking. Usually/always, it is with a cold/cool engine (driving less than 5 minutes).

The other day, she was waiting for a car parking spot to be vacated, then as she went to pull-away from stationary, the engine stalled completely (1st time it has stalled).

I am really reluctant to take it to Ford as the chances of them seeing the fault (either before or after attempting some fix) is extremely unlikely.

I checked for fault codes with ForScan and saw nothing suspicious.

Anyone got any thoughts ?
steerage250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MC Ecoboost engine hesitation/stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steerage250 View Post
Over the last few years, my wife has reported that our MC Mondeo 2.0 Ecoboost very occasionally hesitates when she puts her foot down to pull into, or across traffic - from a standing start. Naturally, this can be a bit nerve-wracking. Usually/always, it is with a cold/cool engine (driving less than 5 minutes).

The other day, she was waiting for a car parking spot to be vacated, then as she went to pull-away from stationary, the engine stalled completely (1st time it has stalled).

I am really reluctant to take it to Ford as the chances of them seeing the fault (either before or after attempting some fix) is extremely unlikely.

I checked for fault codes with ForScan and saw nothing suspicious.

Anyone got any thoughts ?
I don’t know a lot about turbo engines but my fiesta had similar issues caused by a filthy throttle body and air filter. - Ford could not find this or work it out. Could be a good place to start.

A clean car brings a clean mind
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
steerage250

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
I don’t know a lot about turbo engines but my fiesta had similar issues caused by a filthy throttle body and air filter. - Ford could not find this or work it out. Could be a good place to start.
Yes, I have some throttle body cleaner and injector cleaner on my shopping list for next week - can't hurt to try!
Old 29-12-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor with the CRC branded stuff if the rest doesn't work.

I'm guessing maybe under low air flow it's not reading properly but when there is heaps of air flowing the small error reading doesn't affect it too much. The sensor is responsible for getting the right air/fuel ratio, but...a dirty one usually just makes it run rich?

Wouldn't hurt to inspect it though. It is very sensitive so don't touch it or use any other cleaning product.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
shiner01
Starter Motor

I had this happen on my 2011 Mondeo 2.0 l SCTI ecoboost Hatchback. Happened when cold and also when warmed up. Could be quite bad and very embarrassing at times. As my car was still under guarantee, I had bought on 1st October 2018, I returned it to dealer, a Main Ford Agent, they had it in for a day and found that the problem was due to an air leak in the connection of the air intake to the airfilter. Since then, which is now about 3 weeks I have had no repeat and the car is running smoothly and accelerates without any problem.

I must admit that I thought that it might have been something more serious as it seemed the engine was suffering some form of fuel starvation as the jerking could be quite bad at times and very embarrasing when trying to accelerate into a gap in the traffic. I thought that it might have been the fuel pressure system at fault but thankfully it wasnt and the dealer did for free. I had no fault codes but on one occasion I did have a yellow warning which said "Engine Malfunction" but no fault code.
shiner01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
steerage250

I removed the air flow sensor and gave it a good squirt with CRC CO Cleaner. It wasn't noticeably dirty, but we'll see how it goes.