Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 10:24 AM   #781
PhilT2

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Claims to be using Aussie supplied howitzers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-ACnJvw4k
If true, good to see them used effectively.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:13 PM   #782
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Claims to be using Aussie supplied howitzers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic-ACnJvw4k
If true, good to see them used effectively.

Fixed it for you..

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 10-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #783
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We'll need those howitzers back when the Chinese attack us from their new base in the Solomons.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #784
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
We'll need those howitzers back when the Chinese attack us from their new base in the Solomons.
Why would they invade? They own a big slice of this country already, they could just make us an offer on the rest. We'll sell it to them cheap without a shot being fired.

How would you react if some of the Chinese here decided that the all the cattle properties they own in Australia should become an independent Chinese republic in the same way the Russian citizens set up independent states in Ukraine, Moldovia and Georgia?
Old 10-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #785
burnz
VFII SS UTE

https://www.rt.com/news/555214-eu-de...ine-financing/

worth a read, us doing the same..
Old 10-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #786
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PhilT2: you make some good points there.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #787
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why would they invade? They own a big slice of this country already, they could just make us an offer on the rest. We'll sell it to them cheap without a shot being fired.

How would you react if some of the Chinese here decided that the all the cattle properties they own in Australia should become an independent Chinese republic in the same way the Russian citizens set up independent states in Ukraine, Moldovia and Georgia?
Ah, you mean similar to what Prince Leonard did?

http://www.principality-hutt-river.com
Old 10-05-2022, 04:47 PM   #788
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Ah, you mean similar to what Prince Leonard did?

http://www.principality-hutt-river.com
Tried to do, it never actually worked out for him did it? Well it worked out in a way it got lots of tourists into the place and he sold lots of bodgie citizenships but he never got to be exempt from paying Aussie taxes.
But the point is you just can't carve out a section of a sovereign country and say you're independent and not paying tax or following laws any more. Doesn't work out well usually; US civil war for example.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:54 PM   #789
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
...in the same way the Russian citizens set up independent states in Ukraine, Moldovia and Georgia?
Their majority decided to do it.
Sounds like democracy at work to me...exactly what the West preaches.

An inconvenient vote by Russians still counts.

Old 11-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #790
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Their majority decided to do it.
Sounds like democracy at work to me...exactly what the West preaches.

An inconvenient vote by Russians still counts.
When I was in Moscow a Russian explained to me how they do voting over there. Russian voting has nothing to do with democracy.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #791
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So May 9th came and went with no noticeable escalation?

Sweden and Finland due to make a call this week on whether they will seek NATO membership.

Meanwhile...

Lithuania designates Russia as a terrorist country, a global first
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/10/10979...nocide-ukraine

They have also said the only way for peace in Europe is a regime change in Russia. Sounds familiar.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #792
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
So May 9th came and went with no noticeable escalation?
Putin (Russia) like the West has to be careful what is said and done, Putin knows he is walking a thin line.
Cheers
Old 11-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #793
.:4:.
Kicking back

So by no means am i talking politics. Im not all over that anyways.
But say russia win. They gain a territory thats been blown to crap and will need a full rebuild. Also i doubt any financial sanctions will be lifted. If the ukraine win and maintain their independence, id assume they'll receive international aid, but still, the place will need a rebuild as its been blown to crap.
So does either side actually win? To myself it just looks like a pointless waste of lives and economy.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 01:59 PM   #794
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So by no means am i talking politics. Im not all over that anyways.
But say russia win. They gain a territory thats been blown to crap and will need a full rebuild. Also i doubt any financial sanctions will be lifted. If the ukraine win and maintain their independence, id assume they'll receive international aid, but still, the place will need a rebuild as its been blown to crap.
So does either side actually win? To myself it just looks like a pointless waste of lives and economy.
To define a "win" (or loss) you would need to judge it on each side's objectives. Buildings and the immediate Ukraine economy doesn't seem to be an objective for any of the parties involved. A lot of it does get back to politics, and that goes beyond Russia vs Ukraine.

Safe to say, the ordinary people of Ukraine are the losers. And personally I think the ordinary people of Europe are also in strife in the long run - energy, food, security instability (look at all the weapons being thrown in there and which hands they are falling into). Middle east MK2.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 03:13 PM   #795
PhilT2

Quote:
To define a "win" (or loss) you would need to judge it on each side's objectives.
The Russians have always regarded Sevastopol in Crimea as a strategically important base for their Black Sea fleet. It is usually referred to as their only warm water naval base. Maybe the other bases freeze over during the winter. The other ports on the Azov and Black Sea are used by ships exporting grain and oil so its important for Russia to have access to them.

There are also reserves of oil, gas and minerals in Ukraine that Russia might need. The existing Russian gas pipelines pass through Ukraine. Perhaps they feel that the security of those lines would be better with a more compliant govt in Kiev.

Putin may have delusions of restoring the old Soviet empire by making the surrounding countries into puppets of Moscow. This has worked for him so far but the reaction of the west may have surprised him this time. I think he is still hoping the US will tire of supporting Ukraine and elect a more compliant president in 2024.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #796
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

Putin may have delusions of restoring the old Soviet empire by making the surrounding countries into puppets of Moscow. This has worked for him so far but the reaction of the west may have surprised him this time. I think he is still hoping the US will tire of supporting Ukraine and elect a more compliant president in 2024.
Putin may do this and may do that....

Enlighten us on the source of your insights?

Old 11-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #797
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
When I was in Moscow a Russian explained to me how they do voting over there. Russian voting has nothing to do with democracy.
An interaction with a taxi driver does not a definition of democracy make.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #798
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
An interaction with a taxi driver does not a definition of democracy make.
A taxi driver? You'll have to enlighten us as to the source of your insights.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #799
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
To define a "win" (or loss) you would need to judge it on each side's objectives. Buildings and the immediate Ukraine economy doesn't seem to be an objective for any of the parties involved. A lot of it does get back to politics, and that goes beyond Russia vs Ukraine.

Safe to say, the ordinary people of Ukraine are the losers. And personally I think the ordinary people of Europe are also in strife in the long run - energy, food, security instability (look at all the weapons being thrown in there and which hands they are falling into). Middle east MK2.
All because of one country throwing the toys out of the cot...

The intertwining of economies clearly has its downsides.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:19 PM   #800
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
in Ukraine no voting at all, all opposition party's are in jail.. to stop elections!
Old 11-05-2022, 06:01 PM   #801
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
in Ukraine no voting at all, all opposition party's are in jail.. to stop elections!
I don't have any illusions about Ukraine; it's a poor country and was part of the Soviet Union for a long time. Graft and corruption have been a way of life for a long time. Things will not change overnight

Zelensky was elected for a five year term, new elections are not due until Sept 2024. Martial law was declared when the Russians invaded. The pro Russian Communist party was banned and pro Russian media has been shut down. A couple of political figures are in custody, one because it is alleged $300mil disappeared from the bank he runs; another because of something to do with underage girls. Are these charges genuine..who knows? I can't find anything on the fate of the neo nazi party. The previous president Petro Poroshenko who lost to Zelensky is free and appeared at a recent political meeting.

The Ukraine parliament has 450 members, the Servants of the people party (Zelensky's party) won 240 of those seats at the last election. The rest are split up between about ten other parties. Around eighteen parties contested the last election.

The Europeans have made it clear to Ukraine that if they want to be part of the European Union then they have to clean up their act. And it appears they were trying to do that..up until they got invaded. If they fall back under the control of the Russians what do you think their chances are of continuing on that path?

https://freedomhouse.org/country/ukr...dom-world/2022
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #802
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
cool story bro. 2/10, no dragons.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #803
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think it’s funny how the same “Wack jobs” in the “Pub” are the same “Wack jobs” here.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #804
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I think it’s funny how the same “Wack jobs” in the “Pub” are the same “Wack jobs” here.

Self projection 101.

There's a reason why mother nature created the back of the pack.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:57 AM   #805
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Ukraine's gas grid operator to suspend Russian gas flows via Sokhranivka

Quote:
European gas prices jump on GTSOU force majeure

To temporarily transfer gas flows to Sudzha entry point

One third of Ukraine's Russian gas enters at Sokhranivka
https://www.spglobal.com/commodityin...ia-sokhranivka

Old 12-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #806
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finnish President saying if Finland and Sweden join NATO, and Putin wants to know why, he should look in the mirror:

Former Swedish PM says it is gonna happen: https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status...5Es1_&ref_url=
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #807
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently Finland has now officially announced its intention to join NATO. Talk about an own goal
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #808
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although, Sweden and Finland can decide to apply to join NATO, it doesn't mean they will automatically get accepted. ALL existing member states must approve for a new applicant to join.

And so it is strange that the UK would go out on their own and sign this pact with both Sweden and Finland at this time. Possible that there might be one or two existing members who are not comfortable with Sweden and Finland joining?

Boris Johnson commits UK to defence pact with Sweden and Finland
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...eden/101059466

Rides (past and present)

Old 12-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #809
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it is that strange - as much as Boris literally says it is not a temporary stop gap measure, I suspect that is exactly what it is.

Like you said there are several steps to joining NATO, and it can take time. Although Putin has already bitten off more than he can chew, he has also made threats to Sweden and Finland should they take steps to join NATO - so now if he wants to act on those threats he does so knowing UK forces including air support will be part of the opposing forces.

But could just be for the reasons you state - that Finland and Sweden may not get to join NATO, in which case they still have that defence pact with UK to fall back on. And if they don't get to join NATO then I suspect there may be other nations that will sign a similar pact, giving Finland and Sweden a defensive pact with most NATO nations other than Hungary and maybe one or two others. So NATO-lite if you will, but still more than enough NATO for defensive purposes.

Warning about graphic footage in link below - CCTV of Russian soldiers shooting 2 unarmed civilians in the back after hassling the old men for smokes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1524525506288398336

Last edited by Mulva; 12-05-2022 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:30 PM   #810
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I'm aware NATO does not admit countries who have existing conflicts such as Ukraine did with Russia but yet here we are.

The justification for this war was to prevent NATO expansion. Russia's actions have now have meant that potentially there will be two new NATO states as well as having galvenised the existing members.

A massive waste of life to acheive nothing.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread