Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-07-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
goop

Default A run in the Zetec!

Hi all,

Just a quick update on my tonic WQ Zetec

I just got back after taking it for its first run, over the last couple of days, from Bundy down to Rocky. I left with a little over 600kms on the clock, a full tank of fuel... (no sunnies or smokes tho, hehe) and returned with just over 1200 kays, getting roughly 500-550 kays a tank.

Drove down with the girlfriend, sat on around 100kph, stretching out to 130 at times.. Coppers galore of course (big grumpy rant*).

I took it up Mount Archer, outside of Rockhampton (Bundy is very flat : ), and left my lovely lady at the shops, hehe. Third gear most of the way up, fun but uh... please sir, may I have another kilowatt? Pulled up at the top, pretended to admire the view... and then back down. These cars, they are so much fun. Took it easy to start with, but you'd have to really make a huge mess of things to get into any real sort of trouble.

Bearing in mind, I'm used to throwing a big ol' Falcon around down hills, or, when I run out of bamboo to stuff under my fingernails, my baby's Echo. Still the Fez felt so damn agile and peppy. What sounded like a little understeer was corrected by either a little more lock, or with a dab at the brakes. Body control is excellent, no wallowing, rolling or any fuss at all with directional-changes. Even got a few sniffs of lift-off oversteer, but it was kinda provoked : Very predictable and controllable.

So, now I know my car, I know what to expect in unusual situations. At 8 or 9 10ths it's got nothing at all in the way of vices, just grip galore, and it lets you know exactly what it's gonna do next. Very confidence-inspiring

I'm not trying to be a motoring journo here, and I hope it doesn't come across that I am. This is just what I experienced and felt over the last couple of days, and I'm really quite blown away by the value of this car. I hope this helps anyone of a similar mind, who, like me, ummed and arred over many cars. If you want it all - economy, practicality, reliability, affordabilty, and a totally entertaining drive... I don't reckon you can go wrong!

This is a brilliant car, the Fiesta!

*Why, oh why, was there a speed-camera set up 10 kays north of Gin Gin, smack bang in the middle of a 4-lane overtaking zone? How often have you been stuck behind some parcel-shelf hat-storer, who is seemingly unable to wind it up past eighty - but! when they see a spot where you might just get past, be buggered if they don't suddenly have somewhere to be! Right bloody now-like, 80-120kph in a big whoosh of osteo-shattering acceleration.
Nothing speeds up slowies like a nice long straight stretch, huh? Why aren't the coppers getting these dopey old bastards off the roads? I sat on 130kph for a few stretches, the car was beautiful, I was awake, aware and safe, and focused on the job at hand. So why are they after me?
To have a speed camera set up across not one, but TWO overtaking lanes would suggest that it's safer for me to sit beside a wobblying bloody big bastard semi @ 105kph for 20 seconds, then to burn past it in 5 @ 130. Makes no f***ing sense, at all, none at all.

Last edited by goop; 14-07-2006 at 06:49 PM.
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
Fled74
The Thread Killa

You've finally realised what many of us have known for quite a while: the Fiesta rocks. :sm_headba

If only I had winding mountain roads nearby to drive up and down on a daily basis, I would be a happy man indeed. (sigh)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Danny
GT4.

Drove round the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd today with my new 17"s to take advatage of the EVEN more improved handling with the bigger rims. Its just unbeleivable round the corners, I have pretty good Toyo tyres too.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Drove round the Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd today with my new 17"s to take advatage of the EVEN more improved handling with the bigger rims. Its just unbeleivable round the corners, I have pretty good Toyo tyres too.
Danny, did you get the Toyo T1-R tyres?....if so, what size?......how do you find them handling and ride wise?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And how much...?

Did you know pretty much all the cars on The Fast and The Furious : Tokyo Drift use Toyo Proxes T1-R's.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Goop,

Glad your enjoying the new toy! I must admit the Fiesta is extremely easy to drive at 9 10ths. Really is extremely predictable and throwable. I guess this could be to the underpowered engine, but either way a great car. Just wish it had 4 wheel discs...

Apart from that small issue, the car is great in every regard. I miss the small steering wheel too, so big raps for Ford to making the car 'easy to use'.

Danny - great to hear about the 17s! Maybe start a new thread with pictures and a write up. Kind of hard to tell if the 17s have improved your handling, or the tyres, since you had cheapo tyres before!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What time were you up there today Danny? I was up there from 8am till 4:30pm working, driving dads old laser.
Old 16-07-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Hey Goop,

Glad your enjoying the new toy! I must admit the Fiesta is extremely easy to drive at 9 10ths. Really is extremely predictable and throwable. I guess this could be to the underpowered engine, but either way a great car. Just wish it had 4 wheel discs...

Apart from that small issue, the car is great in every regard. I miss the small steering wheel too, so big raps for Ford to making the car 'easy to use'.

Danny - great to hear about the 17s! Maybe start a new thread with pictures and a write up. Kind of hard to tell if the 17s have improved your handling, or the tyres, since you had cheapo tyres before!
hmm, to me it's not the [lack of] power that made it so easy - it just loves to be chucked, and it's so neutral and fun. It was that low-grip sheeny bitumen, so the car moved around a bit... weee!

As for the drum-brakes, yeah, a bit of a worry. When it got a little taily into a downhill right hander, I wondered if they might have something to do with it... but probably just my ham-fistedness Is it possible to upgrade them do you know? I'll have a squiz at UKFN anyhow.

On the highway, i hopped on the brakes pretty hardish at one point. There is quite a lot of longtitudinal pitch, I find? Anyhow, the rear didn't feel all that settled, sort of wiggled about a bit... I spose I'm just used to a bigger car.

Good fun, great car
Old 16-07-2006, 02:00 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Agree with you there goop - the Fiesta Zetec is extremely throwable, and heaps of fun! Probably due to the great chasis/suspension set up, and the long wheelbase and wide stance.

Great small hatch - too much fun in something so cheap. A bargain for sure!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:26 AM   #10
Danny
GT4.

Toyo Proxes 4.
Had them a Day, Took them through the mountains today (A extremely wet and foggy and rainy Melbounre day) They performed so well, I can't beleive it. They just track and grip like the car's on rails where the Stock Bridgestone Turanza's and Falken (Bog) Ziex's would push wide..

My immediate impression is what a FANTASTIC tyre. I had my doubts about getting them, but I'm extremely happy. Melbourne thrw its worst possible driving day at the Toyo's on their first day, and they coped far beyond what I expected or wanted. Im very happy.
Old 16-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
Battlepope

Quote:
Originally Posted by goop

As for the drum-brakes, yeah, a bit of a worry. When it got a little taily into a downhill right hander, I wondered if they might have something to do with it... but probably just my ham-fistedness Is it possible to upgrade them do you know? I'll have a squiz at UKFN anyhow.
Puma Speed in the UK do rear disc conversions. I assume you'd be able to order the parts from them, and then just get someone to put them in over here. They've got an abs kit, and a non abs kit.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=214
Battlepope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I'd be more interested in their camshafts that are supposed to give 140hp (104kW)! And that's with the standard EFI programming according to their blurb.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=302
Old 16-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepope
Puma Speed in the UK do rear disc conversions. I assume you'd be able to order the parts from them, and then just get someone to put them in over here. They've got an abs kit, and a non abs kit.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=214
woof, pricey... thanks The camshafts sound the biz tho huh.
Old 16-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They also list rear axle spacers (10mm) to space the wheels wider. That could give you the rear end stability you need. ;)
Old 16-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #15
Battlepope

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
Personally I'd be more interested in their camshafts that are supposed to give 140hp (104kW)! And that's with the standard EFI programming according to their blurb.

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetails.php?id=302
Yeah, i was eyeing off the cams, but i've always been wary of any work that requires removing the head. Compression then becomes an issue if it's not done properly. I usually don't trust other people working on my cars, but i don't trust myself to do any work on the head.

Quote:
They also list rear axle spacers (10mm) to space the wheels wider. That could give you the rear end stability you need.
Spacers would definately be cool, as i'm looking at the jwrc kit with the wide wheel moulds. Pricey stuff though. Regular tattslotto tickets sound like an option
Old 16-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #16
Danny
GT4.

I'd consider some camshafts. 104kW would have it doing about high 8's 0-100
Old 16-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's certainly a decent power increase and can't involve any more RPM given they state with standard programming - normally you'd expect that sort of power with reprogramming and a redline cut out increase.

Looking at pics of Zetecs it looks to me that 10mm extra width would easily fit inside the standard rear guards? They're a lot better/safer idea than wheel spacers too.
Old 16-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Battlepope

Quote:
That's certainly a decent power increase and can't involve any more RPM given they state with standard programming - normally you'd expect that sort of power with reprogramming and a redline cut out increase.

Looking at pics of Zetecs it looks to me that 10mm extra width would easily fit inside the standard rear guards? They're a lot better/safer idea than wheel spacers too.
10mm should still fit inside the guards, depending on what size wheels you've got. I'm running with the factory 15" alloys so that wouldn't be a problem. Might run into issues if i went over 17" with the spacers though. Although even then they should still be right.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #19
goop

Hi, the girlfriend and I are heading on a bit of an adventure/road trip, and I've managed to base most of it around some fun roads

We'll be up around Mt. Glorious towards thrusday or friday next week. If anyone wants to hook up and come for a bit of a spin, PM me or post here
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
JD2004

Nice looking WQ tonic, my partner is looking at the tonic now that jeans blue is unavailable.. hmmph.... also getting new style euro plates. nice
JD2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #21
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goop
Hi, the girlfriend and I are heading on a bit of an adventure/road trip, and I've managed to base most of it around some fun roads

We'll be up around Mt. Glorious towards thrusday or friday next week. If anyone wants to hook up and come for a bit of a spin, PM me or post here
I went through there today, still an awesome road, watch out up the top though, the road surface is breaking up a bit, a lot of loose stuff on the road, watch out for bikes too, they love that stretch.
I'd love to see you up there, but I can't get out of work, Have Fun!

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
goop

Thanks for the heads-up Scareybear. It is a bit hairy up there now, a lot of crap on the road, and breaking up quite badly - no way would I be doing it on two wheels! In the Fez it was fine tho, never pushed all that hard. The little bugger just has so much grip, and thru some of the switchbacks - it's just such a well sorted car

I followed (briefly) some dopey old bastard in a Getz. It pogo'ed and bounced and swayed in places where the fez was completely composed. Looked like a real handful. I'm don't wanna knock a car I've never driven, but it just looked unsafe and bloody scarey tbh.

Some pics:

Near the top.

Outside Melany.

Last edited by goop; 19-08-2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added pics!
Old 20-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #23
Sonia

I've driven a Getz and I have to say it really is quite an ordinary car.... scarey to think it's one of the most popular. Goes to show that people still choose cheap over quality !
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 04:41 PM   #24
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, sadly people mentality today is like "well all small cars are the same anyway so why buy the Fiesta where I can get Holden/Daewoo Barina/Kalos for so much less!"
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 05:38 PM   #25
goop

Sadly? F*** that Let 'em buy cheaply-made ill-mannered korean rubbish, it only helps our resale... and there's nothing wrong with a little exclusivity anyhow