Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Hellraizer
Starter Motor

Default AU k-frame/sump issues

hey all having slight issues atm.. and by slight i mean SEVERE!!! (broken a socket or 2 in the process

been trying to change my sump and crossmember for a week to 2 weeks now and having issues with the bolts that hold the LCA to the k-frame... they WILL NOT BUDGE.. anyone had experiance in this that they may be able to shed some good ideas my way..
ive so far tried 21mm socket on a 700mm breaker bar (snapped socket)
21mm spanner and a hammer(broke spanner)
heat and spanner/socket ( no broken bits.. however no progress)

cheers Matt

Hellraizer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU k-frame/sump issues

I had to undo a couple if these a while ago and they are the tightest thing I have ever undone I ended up drowning them with wd40 for 3 days then with a spanner and 40cm bar and a lot of struggling shifted them. I wouldn't use a hammer on a spanner though. I could see my spanner bending heaps but it didn't break was a kinchrome. Not much help really but just drown them and make sure you use a good quality spanner.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

use an impact socket , it should be strong enough to do the job

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep use a decent quality spanner, a 24 on the end of a 21mm gets enough leverage and usually does the trick.
At the same time an electric rattle gun would be a good investment just don't use cheap sockets on it.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Hellraizer
Starter Motor

ive managed to obtain some loctite freeze and release.. and moved the nut maybe 1/4 of a turn its then jammed again... god i hate cars lol

(my rattle gun **** itself :( not an electric job just the air one , the trigger broke)
Old 03-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
use an impact socket , it should be strong enough to do the job
Yerp, without a doubt.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Hellraizer
Starter Motor

well... after 4 long and grueling hours.... ive given up lol.... she wont budge at all...proly bad idea to use a grinder or something?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a product made by wurth called "rost off ice" try and get a can and spray it with that, it really is magic, it freezes the object you spray it on hence shrinking it, worked on everything I've tried it on.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
zakjames

as fasty73 has stated use the wurth freezing product then impact socket + big **** off sized breaker bar (minimum 1/2 inch drive) if you have a mate with a decent rattle gun in the area borrow it and unload.

*edit*
Also I believe its Mitsubitshi that have a product called "engine conditioner" plain silver can with black writing. hands done best spray ive ever used to assist in loosening bolts/nuts/O2 sensors etc.
zakjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Threebond make "engine conditioner" too and one of the guys at work reakons it's great for freeing up bolts, you can get it from Repco.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep rost off, or inox.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
kruptor
Custom Member

Honestly it cant be that tight i have done a few sumps on AU's and also have done many front suspension bushes in them and when removing the control arms never had any dramas.But im well built and am pretty strong so i dont have any dramas lol.
kruptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post