Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU XR8, Series 3

Guy's

Driving to work today, started the car and it felt like it was running on four cylinders. Just made it to work, and then took the car to the local mechanic, apparently the coil packs are shot. Should I go for the factory Motorcraft or any other suggestion. $88.00 each from Ford.

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
mchaggis
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU XR8, Series 3

I recently put in a set of MSD8241 coil packs, they were 125 each new from fleabay.

I also did the leads and plugs at the same time.
2012 FG-II GTP #288
2002 AU-III XR8

Previous rides
(1977 TE Cortina, 2001 AUII XR6, 2004 BAI XR8 Ute, 2005 BAII Typhoon, 2008 FG F6, 2015 FG-X XR6 Ute, 2006 SY Territory Turbo Ghia...it just used too much fuel)
mchaggis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaggis View Post
I recently put in a set of MSD8241 coil packs, they were 125 each new from fleabay.

I also did the leads and plugs at the same time.
Mchaggis

What leads and plugs did you use?

Cheers
Old 21-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

$88 is a decent price for genuine.

I'd also compression test it first though as broken valve springs are not uncommon on 220s. Especially if it's missing at idle.

You can usually tell which cylinder is missing by starting from cold for a few seconds then turn off and (carefully) feel each header pipe.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
$88 is a decent price for genuine.

I'd also compression test it first though as broken valve springs are not uncommon on 220s. Especially if it's missing at idle.

You can usually tell which cylinder is missing by starting from cold for a few seconds then turn off and (carefully) feel each header pipe.
Undertow,

That's what I thought for genuine Motorcraft. I was expecting a lot more from Ford, especially what they charge for their genuine leads. I think I will go ahead, given the fact it's still in the mechanic shop. I told the mechanic to hold on until I shop around to see what I can get, I didn't expect that Ford would still have them in stock. I think I will keep it original, before they do come obsolete like most other parts for the AU's.

Cheers
Old 27-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys,

Replaced both coil packs on Friday with the new motorcrafts, and now I have noticed that the idling has changed. When I am braking to slow down to stop and press the clutch in, my revs will suddenly increase to 1100-1000 then drop to about 500 and stabilizes to about 750 idling normal. When I start the car up in the morning I have also noticed that the idling is pulsating for a few minutes then settles. The car was running perfect until I changed the coil packs. I have checked to make sure all leads are clipped on properly. No issues. I thought over the weekend it may settle, however during the week it still remains the same.

Any ideas?

Regards
Old 28-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
mchaggis
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I bought generic leads from Repco, nothing to write home about.

As for the bad idle, that could be a vacuum leak, or maybe you bumped the sensor leads off the air intake. Isn't there 3 different plugs at various places on that thing?

Or maybe you loosened up one of the O2 sensor plugs?
2012 FG-II GTP #288
2002 AU-III XR8

Previous rides
(1977 TE Cortina, 2001 AUII XR6, 2004 BAI XR8 Ute, 2005 BAII Typhoon, 2008 FG F6, 2015 FG-X XR6 Ute, 2006 SY Territory Turbo Ghia...it just used too much fuel)
mchaggis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchaggis View Post
I bought generic leads from Repco, nothing to write home about.

As for the bad idle, that could be a vacuum leak, or maybe you bumped the sensor leads off the air intake. Isn't there 3 different plugs at various places on that thing?

Or maybe you loosened up one of the O2 sensor plugs?
I only removed the leads off the coil packs and removed the four bolts from each pack and popped the plugs back on. A very simple task, I thought. However, when I changed the first coil pack, passenger side. I started the car, and the problem was solved. The mechanic said, both packs had failed which I thought at the time was very strange both packs failing at the same time. I might replace the drivers side coil pack back to the original and see how it runs. Maybe there is an issue with the new coil pack on the drivers side. Who knows they could of been sitting on the shelves of Ford for years, possibly dropped or kicked around.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

No harm in trying swapping them around, they're nice and easy to get to.

I wonder if the idle issues are caused by the ECU trying to learn around the dead coil? There are idle airflow trims which "learn" the adjustments required to get the idle speed where it should be. With a dead coil the idle speed will drop, then the ECU will increase idle airflow to try and compensate, and eventually learn this correction. Then with a new coil it will idle too high until it learns back down (which can take a while). Try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset things.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #10
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
No harm in trying swapping them around, they're nice and easy to get to.

I wonder if the idle issues are caused by the ECU trying to learn around the dead coil? There are idle airflow trims which "learn" the adjustments required to get the idle speed where it should be. With a dead coil the idle speed will drop, then the ECU will increase idle airflow to try and compensate, and eventually learn this correction. Then with a new coil it will idle too high until it learns back down (which can take a while). Try disconnecting the battery for a while to reset things.
That's what I thinking, possibly the ECU trying to adjust to the new coil packs. I must admit driving the car every day since last Friday, there is improvement with the idling. However I will disconnect the battery over the weekend as suggested. I think your on the money undertow.

Cheers mate.