Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Default Parts list for manual conversion.

Hey guys, have purchased a s3 XR8, leather interior, rebel style kit and a fantastic car, just one thing I don't like is it's an auto and the box is playing up anyway so I've sourced a complete manual conversion from a s2 xr8 it's.

I have to make the trek to Melbourne to remove the parts myself and am capable but want too grab everything I need in one go.

The pedal box, ecu, starter motor, flywheel to tailshaft and shifter surround I'm onto but the looms and sensors I'm not 100% what I'll need.

The 200kw ute ecu really needed or can my 220 auto one be made to work ok? Through searching the old threads I know the tailshaft will need shortening 60mm.. Any thing else I need to be aware of?

TIA
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #2
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 
Default Re: Parts list for manual conversion.

You have it mostly covered but I'd also grab clutch cable and the rubber loop it goes through in engine bay. If you plan to use the manual ECU I'd also grab the BEM that goes with it along with ignition barrel, keys and door lock. Good luck with it, it's a decent size task the conversion.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

The Ute and sedan Bem's the same? Interchangeable?

My local dealer can marry the ute ecu to my bcm can't they?
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4

SOLD
Old 22-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #4
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Not sure if they're the same as i have never taken out a 220 BEM. Dealer can marry them but if you have access to the ute I'd grab those parts just in case.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a criticism, just a question. Have you driven a manual XR8? And do you know the donor box is in good condition.

I'm a bit like you, I fancy myself a purist and prefer manual over auto. Most of "MY" cars have been manuals.
A couple of years back now, I had the opportunity to buy an AU Xr8 at a good price. It was "everything I wanted." It was the 220, manual, leather, moderate kms, and had a near new LPG system. I found the clutch heavy, and the gearbox clunky. It could have just been a bad example, but it turned me off.

I would also ask your dealer first about the BEM issue. You may have someone who is just happy to help a Ford enthusiast and won't charge an arm and a leg, or you might find that they just can't be arsed.
Old 23-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Have previously owned a really nice EF XR8 manual and loved everything about that car other than the lack of HP. I'm old school and come from the era of toploaders and monster clutches ha. I'll service the box regardless before I fit it into the car, seals and bearings the usual.

Reading some more info now I should be able to nut it out when using the factory auto loom with a little work.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4

SOLD
Old 15-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #7
kamahl

Thread bump... to save making another thread, I've just purchased a rough s3 xr8 manual to convert my s2 auto to manual. I'm not going to do the conversion myself but I wouldn't mind having a crack at getting all the gear off the s3 so I can take it in to the workshop instead of dropping the whole car off and paying them to strip it down, and just generally do something myself for once instead of being a chequebook mechanic.

So I guess I'm asking did the blokes in the first 2 posts pretty much nail the list or is there some other bits missing? Or should it only take a workshop a couple of hours with their skill, knowledge and facilities to remove it all then they know they'll have everything ready to do the job?
kamahl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post