Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
tjr351
Starter Motor

Default AU XR8 220 FTE upgrades

Hi, I recently purchased a late Series 2 XR8 220kw manual. The books contained a number of receipts from Titan Ford, the WA “Ford Tickford Expieriance” dealer for:

- Stage One FTE induction modification
- Stage Two FTE exhaust modification
- Stage Four FTE engine modification

Engine modification included “head work” and fitting a larger camshaft (Crow 286) and exhaust modification was a full stainless pacemaker exhaust including headers.

This was all done within 3 months of the cars purchase and there is no mention of voiding of warranty.

Just seeing if anyone knows if these upgrades were offered to all new XR8 owners and if there are more details FTE may have been publishing in terms of what Stage One etc. means in terms of power and torque improvements.

Any help would be appreciated.
tjr351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AU XR8 220 FTE upgrades

While the FTE theory suggested that these sort of upgrades would be part of what FTE did, that never actually eventuated so I suspect this would be a dealer options pack.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Agreed Russ. Maybe some WA guys can throw some more light on it but I suspect Titan were one of the dozen or so FTe dealers Australia wide nominated to sell the T Series and were offering some aftermarket mods via their dealership on Tickford cars
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
tjr351
Starter Motor

So what your saying is that Titan did these modifications to the car, charged the original owner $4000, called them FTE Stage 1, 2 & 4 upgrades, but most likely they were one-off dealer upgrades which were not part of a broader FTE upgrade program i.e. if you walked into a Melbourne FTE Ford dealer and asked for the Stage 4 engine upgrade he wouldn’t know what the hell your talking about.

Makes sense on one level. The one I’m struggling to understand is why Titan would expose itself to the liability of something going wrong by endorsing these as FTE upgrades when in fact they were just responding to a customer wanting to hot up his new XR8. You’d think there would be pages of disclaimers and that it’s being done at the customers request etc. etc. Maybe it was a less litigious back then
Old 27-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hopefully a WA member will chime in to confirm one way or the other. Or a member from east coast with any knowledge of it being offered over here can add anything but I was not aware of it as a dealer option.

IMO opinion the upgrades are fairly minor in nature and unlikely to cause a significant failure so for the tidy sum of $4k they were prepared to risk it
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 27-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have asked the question in the T Series Clubs FB page if any WA members know of the upgrade and details if known

OWN THE ROAD
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoke with a mate who thinks that some FTe dealers operated as agents for Herrod so that may be the case for WA due to distance

OWN THE ROAD
Old 27-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
tjr351
Starter Motor

Here are the invoices
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2009.jpg (115.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2010.jpg (103.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 27-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #9
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Having look at the invoices that's the Herrod upgrade packages
as Herrod used that crow cam #621371 in his packages [250kw] iirc
Has your XR8 have the herrod build plate it should be on the shocker tower I think it's next to the Tickford option plate ??

Cheers Dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #10
tjr351
Starter Motor

No it doesnt have one, but maybe as FTe342 mentioned earlier, the WA dealer passed it off as a FTe package when in fact it was a Herrod upgrade. I have sent Herrod Perfomance a message and a copy of the invoices to see if they can shed some light.

Last edited by tjr351; 27-08-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 27-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #11
tjr351
Starter Motor

Herrod Performance responded... they know nothing
Old 27-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Garlicks in Sydney did plenty of Herrod upgrades.
They used to carry stock of full exhaust systems for eg and whatever else.
I used to walk in the service area and they had stock in plenty.
I doubt they would have put a Herrod decal on the car everytime for not everyone wants that.
Some just got air induction upgrades and exhaust fitted.
Some head work incl above and Unichip tunes.
So Titan could have done just the same - as said someone from there who was a regular buyer at Titan could give some clarity hopefully.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #13
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,

The 621371 Crow camshaft is the 351 Windsor camshaft that Harrods used for their upgrades for the 220’s as well as mt357 springs and 11700-xr8 spring retainers. If the springs have been changed it’s a good chance it may have been done by Herrods. Your receipts don’t indicate any change to your valve springs, therefore it’s difficult to ascertain origin of the work. Whoever has done the work would have consulted with Crowcams who would of suggested that Herrods use the above camshaft for their AU XR8’s. By the way, does it run well with this camshaft, from what crowcams have mentioned it brings the 220’s up to at least 250kw.

Cheers
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
tjr351
Starter Motor

Yes, runs mint, my son has a 245kw LS1 CV8 and it kills it. I would say that the “custom cylinder head modification” on the receipt deals with the springs and retainers. It would be unlikely the dealer removed the heads and did anything to them for the cost of the work invoiced, whereas changing a set of springs could be done with the heads left on the car.
Old 27-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #15
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, totally agree. That’s good know, I may do that in the future with mine. Sounds like it’s the right combination, without a major cost, with good power gains.

Cheers and enjoy, they are great cars for what they are.
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
Brendo71
Starter Motor

you may even be able to track down the owner at the time as he's on the receipt and ask him directly, if your successful in finding him, he may even be able to provide you with even more history, like a dyno sheet!!!
The receipt also states that your xr is a series 3, not a series 2 like you said?
Brendo71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
tjr351
Starter Motor

Its a Series 2 on the compliance plate (Aug 01 build), Im assuming as it was sold in Feb 02, the service guys acidentally wrote it up as a Series 3 on the invoice
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #18
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen you post this question on FB. I would assume the same that Titan (in conjunction with a dealer) offered a package which they called the FTE experience for those who couldn't afford an FTe car but wanted more than factory power. Good price compared to these days, would be nice to see a dyno print from the time of this too.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
tjr351
Starter Motor

Yes, tried the Ford forum on FB but most of the replies were telling me what was written on the invoice, given that I learned to read back in Primary School, it was’nt very helpful.

Titan Ford was the WA FTe dealer, but at this stage it appears that they did the mods as a one-off and tried to pass them off as something to do with FTe. Maybe they thought they could provide additional service under the FTe banner to their XR8 customers, but it never took off (or someone higher up told them to stick to selling TE’s etc.)

I’m guessing it never went on the dyno, the car drives great so not too fussed on its horsepower, was more of a historical curiosity for me around what Ford was doing at the time
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2018, 11:04 PM   #20
tjr351
Starter Motor

Went through the paperwork I got with the car, turns out dyno does exist 201rwkw, pretty much dead on 250kw at the engine if you assume 20% driveline losses
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E0DEAE0-2915-4ED1-87FF-EF93429D1CEC.jpg (134.4 KB, 51 views)
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #21
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was probably work carried out by Titan in conjunction with A1 Hi Performance. They were looking to offer similar packages to Herrod at the time but with a more personalised and better attention to detail. The cam used was a popular choice particularly in an auto in the days before the ecu could be tuned properly. I know a few mechanics who worked at Titan at the time, I'll see if I can find out more.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #22
tjr351
Starter Motor

I recall A1 being known for Ford performance engine builds as I used to get parts from them on ocassion and same suburb as Titan, so that would make sense
Old 25-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #23
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I used this cam in my xr8 220 as well. I machined the heads to allow the fitting of the Crow 7333 dual springs to go with it. It pulled 205 rwkw before I tuned it with the Quarterhorse, so the above dyno sheet is a fair indication. Good to see the “super rich” stock wide open throttle afr’s down into the 10’s. But that’s normal too.
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post