Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
aufairmontghia
XR6

Default Au Rear Top Shock Mounts Worn (IRS)

Hi all

Just wondering how many of you out there have copped worn out rear upper shock mounts on their AU's with IRS???

What symptoms have you all experienced when it has happened????

Apparentally it's a common problem & replacement parts are only available from Ford!!!!

The replacement part is crap & will wear out again I'm told.... It's a Bad design on Fords side....

aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all of that is true
you hear a clunk, feel the back move
and yeah the replacement part does it again
I had mine done under warranty, and i think its getting close again
at least its not a big fix, most handy people can do it
Old 30-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Here is the tutorial for it...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244643
Old 30-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

BlueDriver was looking at getting Nolathane ones a while ago, but no idea how that went.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
BlueDriver was looking at getting Nolathane ones a while ago, but no idea how that went.
last i heard, was still under development / test
Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
aufairmontghia
XR6

Yeah

I've heard the same thing.... Kelpro are also under development!!!!

I don't know why Ford didn't run a solid version like the previous models!!!

I've been told that if your car is lowered, run short shocks, stiffer springs etc... it will stuff them even quicker!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufairmontghia
Yeah

I've heard the same thing.... Kelpro are also under development!!!!

I don't know why Ford didn't run a solid version like the previous models!!!

I've been told that if your car is lowered, run short shocks, stiffer springs etc... it will stuff them even quicker!!!!
Mmm thats news re Kelpro, I'll ask know them well.

Yes ofcourse running a lower higher rate coil and firmer shocks will accelerate the wear.

As for nolathane,ain't going to happen, not enough volume to justify tooling costs...and the stupid thing is with the limited numbers of AU IRS's on the road you go to the trouble improving the product, then after product release and the peak in sales for the short term after that the sales graph will only go downhill in the big picture, its a catch22 unfortunately.

Glad mine isn't a daily
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
aufairmontghia
XR6

Maybe a good idea to get a plate machined for the top of the mount & stiffen it up. This would be similar to previouds models?????
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Just do what I did. Keep driving and eventually the noise goes away.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
aufairmontghia
XR6

The problem is the car is swaying & bouncing all over the place!!!!
It makes you sick driving it & it's dangerous as well....
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be sway bar also. Check pedders for the strut mounts.
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Just do what I did. Keep driving and eventually the noise goes away.
not recommended. What actually happens is that it allows the wheel to bounce even on smooth road. Which means that you don't have contact with the road about half of the time. Not a good combo especially in the wet. I can show you a pic of a badly smashed up T3 that left the road in the wet and hit a tree. It had stuffed rear upper IRS mounts!

Get someone to drive along side you and ask them how much your wheel is bouncing! Even on the freeway. Funny thing is, you can't feel anything in the car - until you hit the tree! :togo:
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
aufairmontghia
XR6

I agree!!!! The swaying in the rear end is what worries me the most.....
It was really bad up until a few days ago!!!!!!

I've worn a set of rear tyres on the back in less than 8 months or 15000km or so. So something is definetally wrong!!!!

I've had the main nut that holds the rear drive shafts tightened & seems a little better but not much!!!!!

Centreline Suspension in Thomastown had a look at it as I was told I needed a 4 wheel alignment done..... When they folded the rear seats & bounced the car, we noticed the rubber in the mounts move up at least an inch or so before the shocks kicked in.....

I was quoted $600 for camber kit for front, new rear mounts & 4 wheel alignment!!!! Ford has rear top shock mounts for $110 & only available from them.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Fraud are taking you for your $$, most of us have been paying $70odd each. Better tell the dealer to pull his head in or just call another for a price check.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
aufairmontghia
XR6

Where could I get them for $70 as I would do them myself for that price!!!
Can anyone help me out.....
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You need a fair bit of equipment to do this yourself. A rattle gun and some spring compressors to get the shocks out of the coils. Thats after you have removed the assembly from the car.

Your problem sounds more like failed wheel bearings?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
5L
[ 5L ]

when you say you need a rattle gun to seperate, i am currently looking at doing mine aswell while im doing a shocks and springs change in my car.

i read somewhere on here, someone said that they can be seperated without using a rattle gun but you need to use vice grips so it doesnt move when you crack the nut off the top. but if you plan on using the same shocks its not a good idea. since i am planning on changing shocks over at the same time do you think the above methoed will be ok? or best to leave it to the pro's with a rattle gun. i am doing mine with a friends who has changed suspensions on alot of cars, never an au with irs though.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Your problem sounds more like failed wheel bearings?
I wouldn't have thought so. Besides, the mounts probably need replacing anyway so it's a moot point.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM   #19
aufairmontghia
XR6

How much play would you get with failed bearings????
Do you normally get some play in all directions eg. 12,6,9 & 3 o'clock????

I still think its suspension related!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How much play would you get with failed bearings????
Do you normally get some play in all directions eg. 12,6,9 & 3 o'clock????

I still think its suspension related!!!!
The way you desribed the rear end wobbling around led me to ask the question. Yes if the bearing has failed (not all that uncommon) the wheel will move in all directions

OWN THE ROAD
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Last pair I got for that was from City Ford, Bayford is also another that usually has good prices.

As for the wheel bearing it is a possibility but you will normally get some sound (like an unbalanced tyre sound) from that.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #22
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
when you say you need a rattle gun to seperate, i am currently looking at doing mine aswell while im doing a shocks and springs change in my car.

i read somewhere on here, someone said that they can be seperated without using a rattle gun but you need to use vice grips so it doesnt move when you crack the nut off the top. but if you plan on using the same shocks its not a good idea. since i am planning on changing shocks over at the same time do you think the above methoed will be ok? or best to leave it to the pro's with a rattle gun. i am doing mine with a friends who has changed suspensions on alot of cars, never an au with irs though.
With the assembly out you need to compress the spring and crack the nut on top of the shock shaft. Of course the shaft will turn as soon as you put a spanner to it. OK you could hold the shaft with vice grips and risk damage to the shaft which wouldn't matter if throwing the shock away. But how are you going to do up the nut on the new shock?.

To save your self a $ you could remove the assembly from the car and take it to a workshop and get them to swap it over. My elcheapo rattle run/compressor just didn't have the torque to crack one of the units I did but does the job most of the time. Then re-install the assembly yourself but is much easier aligned with a helper. Take notice of the relationship of the angle of the shock at the bottom to the top mount and get it re-assembled the same position or it leads to problems when trying to get the unit back into the car

Be aware that the new top are different to the originals and you will need a thick spacer washer or two std washers to take up the extra space or the nut runs out of thread on the shaft before the mount gets tight. If you don't do this you will still have a rattle from the shock moving up & down thru the mount. Plenty of workshops haven't noticed this difference and had to do the job again after the noise is still there

OWN THE ROAD
Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
aufairmontghia
XR6

Had a safety check done at Pedders & $1500 quote for repairs!!!! Didn't even mention the top shock mounts at all..... but mentioned everything else of course!!!!

Thats definitally PEDDERS NO BULL......

How much movement in the rubber upwards on the top shock mount is considered normal, before the shock kicks in when you push down on the car???
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #24
5L
[ 5L ]

the quote that i got from pedders, was for new shocks, superlow springs, and new rear IRS shock mounts. $2600 this was an over the phone quote.

i take my car to them for a 28 point saftey check and that is it.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #25
aufairmontghia
XR6

Yeah my quote from Pedders was for shocks front & back, d bushes, lower ball joints, front & rear lower bushes, adjuster rod on rear & other crap!!!!

I'll be doing most of the things myself were I can!!!!

I'm taking my car to Computer Line Dynamic Alignments in Preston tommorrow.

I want another opinion (mind you this will be the 4th time someones looked at it) & I'll get them to do a 4 wheel alignment if nothing comes up....

Everyone that's looked at the car gives a different opinion from the previous???? :
Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #26
SVR73
Mr Polish

Thanks so much to the author of this thread
My VCT has been clunking at the back end on and off, especially in reverse
not a big clunk but enough to get my attention
some days it does it, other times only once or twice

Originally I thought it was the diff. but that was found to be okay

it sure does suck if it can never be permanently fixed.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
aufairmontghia
XR6

Took car to Computer Line & they couldn't do the 4 wheel alignment!!!! The left rear wheel was wobbling over the place......

They told me the lower control arm bush is worn & I needed to change it!!!!

The night before I jacked up the car & pulled the hand brake shoe out as I was getting a lot of noise from the left side!!! I was trying to eliminate the problem i was having.... I ran the car & it was still making noise!!!!!!

Thursday night I came home after Computer Line & wasn't convinced as I was still getting alot noise from the rear still!!!!

I jacked the car up & put it up on stands. I took the wheel off to see where the noise/grind wobble was coming from!!!!

I ran the car & noticed the caliper moving from side to side along the slide making a horrible noise.....

It looked like to me the disc was either warped or stub axle/hub was bent!!!!!

I was starting to get some answers now....

I took the car to Northern Care Care near my work during my lunch break on Friday. He drove the car & then put it on the hoist.... He ran it & saw the caliper moving quite a bit in & out together with the wheel!!!! He said the hub was bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He priced the hub from Ford $390 & bearing $230!!! All up $720 to do the job....

HOLY CRAP..... finally some answers I was looking for!!!!

He did say I could source a good secondhand one from the wrecker & also to get an aftermarket bearing to keep the costs down......

I still will also look at the other stuff found but only after this mess is sorted...
Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Took car to Computer Line & they couldn't do the 4 wheel alignment!!!! The left rear wheel was wobbling over the place......

They told me the lower control arm bush is worn & I needed to change it!!!!

The night before I jacked up the car & pulled the hand brake shoe out as I was getting a lot of noise from the left side!!! I was trying to eliminate the problem i was having.... I ran the car & it was still making noise!!!!!!

Thursday night I came home after Computer Line & wasn't convinced as I was still getting alot noise from the rear still!!!!

I jacked the car up & put it up on stands. I took the wheel off to see where the noise/grind wobble was coming from!!!!

I ran the car & noticed the caliper moving from side to side along the slide making a horrible noise.....

It looked like to me the disc was either warped or stub axle/hub was bent!!!!!

I was starting to get some answers now....

I took the car to Northern Care Care near my work during my lunch break on Friday. He drove the car & then put it on the hoist.... He ran it & saw the caliper moving quite a bit in & out together with the wheel!!!! He said the hub was bent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He priced the hub from Ford $390 & bearing $230!!! All up $720 to do the job....

HOLY CRAP..... finally some answers I was looking for!!!!

He did say I could source a good secondhand one from the wrecker & also to get an aftermarket bearing to keep the costs down......

I still will also look at the other stuff found but only after this mess is sorted...
There should be a part number on the face of the bearing take that to a bearing place (of hand i can't remember the name of these shops) but you should be able to get it a lot cheaper there.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #29
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i paid 350 for the whole bearing and hub assembly for mine in queensland from a local bearing shop.

The easiest way to check your rear IRS mounts is fold the seats down so you can see the top and bounce the car. Mine had always been torn at the top. Very obvious tears in the rubber. I've had my Series 3 xr8 3 years and have done 100,000km in it since buying it and have wrecked 3 sets of IRS mounts. There easy to change once you've done a few

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ummmm? what did I tell you! That's one for me :

OWN THE ROAD