Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
XR_6falcon

Default Audio upgrades?

Hey guys ive just acquired a S3 XR6 in liquid silver after owning a BA that was written off. It didnt come with a head unit and the speakers that are currently in it are no good. So I need new speakers but i dont know what size they are. I tryed searching though some treads but came up with nothing. What size's are in the back and front? Also what speakers do you recomend getting? (Brands and sizes etc)

Thanks in advanced!

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Audio upgrades?

They should be 5 x 7 at all 4 corners of the car. As for what you can replace them with. Most people tend to go with either 6" or 6.5" round with an adapter. Brand wise it all depends on the quality your after and how much your willing to pay. I will leave that up to others as this I have very very little idea about!

Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-g...ers-sku-28128/

and head unit surround

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...&postcount=216

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Theres a few really good threads floating around in this area alone that detail what others have recommended re sound stuff..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
robbyj
Rob

They are all 5x7 speakers as mentioned. 5x7 after market speakers arnt the most available speakers.

Id put 6x9 speakers in the rear, simply because the design of a 6x9 speaker is a lot better then 5x7. You will need spacers to fit these but it is worth it. In the doors id put 6" splits.

Do you want to amp these speakers? Do you want a subwoofer?

I have have a mix and match of audio gear, from stuff blowing up etc.
I have kenwood 6x9s in the rear, amped on a 350 watt sony xplode 2CH amp. I have a now MTX thunder 12" sub on a kenwood 1000 watt mono block amp. I run stock speakers on the doors off the headunit. Which is a kenwood double din unit.

As far as brands go, there are always biased opinions, mine included, but..

Fusion - Make decent amps, rest of their stuff is over priced junk.
Kenwood - Cheap, decent quality, good for all round.
Polk - Very good gear
Clarion - not much experience with this brand, heard its ok,
Sony - avoid their speakers, have some decent head units
JVC - Average
JBL - Average
Kicker - good subs and speakers
MTX - have some good subs
Pioneer - expensive but decent gear
Alpine - no experience with their stuff, people on here swear by it tho.

I have also heard focal is good

Id avoid brands like boston, soundstream,
blaupunkt, philips, fusion, axis, panasonic, sanyo,

Depends what your budget is like, but you cant go wrong with an all kenwood, polk, kicker or alpine setup.

It also doesn't matter if you mix and match.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Theres a few really good threads floating around in this area alone that detail what others have recommended re sound stuff..
I had a look around and used the search function but couldnt find what i was looking for.

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 14-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
XR_6falcon

cheers mate, where did u get the surround from?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 14-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
They are all 5x7 speakers as mentioned. 5x7 after market speakers arnt the most available speakers.

Id put 6x9 speakers in the rear, simply because the design of a 6x9 speaker is a lot better then 5x7. You will need spacers to fit these but it is worth it. In the doors id put 6" splits.

Do you want to amp these speakers? Do you want a subwoofer?

I have have a mix and match of audio gear, from stuff blowing up etc.
I have kenwood 6x9s in the rear, amped on a 350 watt sony xplode 2CH amp. I have a now MTX thunder 12" sub on a kenwood 1000 watt mono block amp. I run stock speakers on the doors off the headunit. Which is a kenwood double din unit.

As far as brands go, there are always biased opinions, mine included, but..

Fusion - Make decent amps, rest of their stuff is over priced junk.
Kenwood - Cheap, decent quality, good for all round.
Polk - Very good gear
Clarion - not much experience with this brand, heard its ok,
Sony - avoid their speakers, have some decent head units
JVC - Average
JBL - Average
Kicker - good subs and speakers
MTX - have some good subs
Pioneer - expensive but decent gear
Alpine - no experience with their stuff, people on here swear by it tho.

I have also heard focal is good

blaupunkt, philips, fusion, axis, panasonic, sanyo,

Depends what your budget is like, but you cant go wrong with an all kenwood, polk, kicker or alpine setup.

It also doesn't matter if you mix and match.

Thanks for that

For the moment im just looking to get a resonable sound system, as in headunit and speakers. Sub/amp will come later on its just that driving around with no music is depressing

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 15-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

If you want sic and will amp
Alpine R type 5x7
If you want good not amping
Alpine S type 5x7

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
You’re kidding right? Boston & Soundstream make top quality gear, whether it may be splits, subs or amps.
You wouldn’t be going wrong using only Boston/Soundstream gear.

As for the other suggestions, I personally wouldn’t bother buying 6x9’s.
To me, a 6x9 is a crappy size. Too small to play the lower notes clearly and deeply (which a sub does far better, and what you should be using) and doesn’t play the mid frequencies well.

For me, I would buy a decent set of 6.5” splits for the front speakers, which will fit nicely with the aid of a spacer.
Leave the rear speakers as is, or if the now removed front speakers are better, place them in the rear.
Get yourself a sub, whether that may be a 10”, two 12”s or a 15”. It all really depends on how much boot space you want to lose, and if you want bass to complement your music, or bass loud enough to be heard from miles away.

Finally, get yourself a decent amp. If you want a big powerful system, consider buying 2 amps: One to play your 6.5” speakers, and one (called a monoblock) to play your sub.
If you system doesn’t require that much power, you may consider getting a decent 4 channel amp. Use channels 1 & 2 to run the front speakers, and bridge channels 3 & 4 for the sub.
Run the rear speakers off the head unit. Rear speakers (when the system is tuned properly) shouldn’t add anything but a tiny bit of fill to your music.

Think of it this way: When you go to a concert, does the music come towards you (ie from the stage) or does it come from behind you?
You should use the same approach when building a car audio system!

PS: Low frequencies (ie the frequencies played by your subwoofer) are non-directional. Hence why most people place the sub in the boot.
The higher frequencies (ie played by your splits) are directional. As such, their positioning becomes important.
Buying decent gear is only half the battle. If you install it incorrectly, it will sound crap!!!
Please, spend some decent time and cash on the installation. You’ll be rewarded in the long run!

PPS: If you want more recommendations, head over to mobile electronics australia (MEA), Australia's premier car audio website. If you post a budget and your requirements there, they should be able to recommend you a system.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Saber is on the ball..!!

Rear speakers should be for fill only, so 5x7's would be fine for that..

Alpine make a 5x7 component speaker which sound quite good for the front doors and you can mount the tweeters in the front pillars..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon
cheers mate, where did u get the surround from?
autobarn, i think in narre warren, but you should be able to get it at any decent auto store, they all sell aerpro stuff...

the part numbers are
Aerpro FP9140 - for Black
Aerpro FP9141 - for Grey

more info
http://66.226.77.74/showthread.php?t=11279548

also with the 5x7" vs 6" or 6x9" comments, i personally prefer a product that screws straight in without any spacers etc.

iv got a pair of Alpine 5 1/4" Splits (SPR-13S) that come with proper 5x7" spacer but i was still disappointed with the fit, and sound quality even running of a expensive alpine headunit and/or jaycar response amp.

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 15-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sony Xplod for everything, good price and GREAT sound!!!
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
If you want sic and will amp
Alpine R type 5x7
If you want good not amping
Alpine S type 5x7
Do you know roughly how much the type R 5x7's are?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 15-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
You’re kidding right? Boston & Soundstream make top quality gear, whether it may be splits, subs or amps.
You wouldn’t be going wrong using only Boston/Soundstream gear.

As for the other suggestions, I personally wouldn’t bother buying 6x9’s.
To me, a 6x9 is a crappy size. Too small to play the lower notes clearly and deeply (which a sub does far better, and what you should be using) and doesn’t play the mid frequencies well.

For me, I would buy a decent set of 6.5” splits for the front speakers, which will fit nicely with the aid of a spacer.
Leave the rear speakers as is, or if the now removed front speakers are better, place them in the rear.
Get yourself a sub, whether that may be a 10”, two 12”s or a 15”. It all really depends on how much boot space you want to lose, and if you want bass to complement your music, or bass loud enough to be heard from miles away.

Finally, get yourself a decent amp. If you want a big powerful system, consider buying 2 amps: One to play your 6.5” speakers, and one (called a monoblock) to play your sub.
If you system doesn’t require that much power, you may consider getting a decent 4 channel amp. Use channels 1 & 2 to run the front speakers, and bridge channels 3 & 4 for the sub.
Run the rear speakers off the head unit. Rear speakers (when the system is tuned properly) shouldn’t add anything but a tiny bit of fill to your music.

Think of it this way: When you go to a concert, does the music come towards you (ie from the stage) or does it come from behind you?
You should use the same approach when building a car audio system!

PS: Low frequencies (ie the frequencies played by your subwoofer) are non-directional. Hence why most people place the sub in the boot.
The higher frequencies (ie played by your splits) are directional. As such, their positioning becomes important.
Buying decent gear is only half the battle. If you install it incorrectly, it will sound crap!!!
Please, spend some decent time and cash on the installation. You’ll be rewarded in the long run!

PPS: If you want more recommendations, head over to mobile electronics australia (MEA), Australia's premier car audio website. If you post a budget and your requirements there, they should be able to recommend you a system.
I will check them out, thanks!

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 15-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #16
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
autobarn, i think in narre warren, but you should be able to get it at any decent auto store, they all sell aerpro stuff...

the part numbers are
Aerpro FP9140 - for Black
Aerpro FP9141 - for Grey

more info
http://66.226.77.74/showthread.php?t=11279548

also with the 5x7" vs 6" or 6x9" comments, i personally prefer a product that screws straight in without any spacers etc.

iv got a pair of Alpine 5 1/4" Splits (SPR-13S) that come with proper 5x7" spacer but i was still disappointed with the fit, and sound quality even running of a expensive alpine headunit and/or jaycar response amp.
I will source one tomorrow through work. I am weighing up just getting some 6.5 with spacers.

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 15-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
I will source one tomorrow through work. I am weighing up just getting some 6.5 with spacers.
with the headunit surround make sure you dont get a headunit with a flip down face, i can use the cdplayer on mine without removing it from the surround, the face cant flip down (to access the cd player) some of the flip down ones might be ok but mine isnt

Cheers Cam

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 15-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you end up getting a brand of front 6.5" speakers for the front, other then Alpine, go to your local Car Audio installer and ask them if they have any of the Alpine spacers, the fit behind the factory trims and will allow the greater depth required stopping the basket of the speaker hitting your window.

Here is the link to a thread that was done a couple of years ago about mounting headunits.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=headunit

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6

Last edited by NC1183; 15-06-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added a link
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #19
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6

fourl6, if you prefer a straight factory swap, go with the 5x7"s. I've currently got a set of Boston S85 5x7", which sound pretty good when run off an amp.

I've also got a set of Crescendo Opus 1 sitting in a box, just waiting to be installed. Just got to find the time to do it!!!

Personally, I've found a 6.5" speaker delivers more richer sounding music, and a much stronger midbass punch than the equivalent 5x7". Its really noticeable when you play back each speaker side by side. The best way of course is to get out, test and listen for yourself. You'll know what sounds and what doesn't sound good!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Do you know roughly how much the type R 5x7's are?
RRP is bout $229. JB hi-fi always do good deals. go ask them (+1 for shopping local)
or buy it from america on flea bay and you'll save a heap (but not so good for australian economy)

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 17-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #21
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

To the OP, I'd have a hunt around audio forums eg http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/ there is a lot of assistance and some of those guys really know their stuff as far as comparisons are concerned.

You can then sashay over to http://www.ryda.com.au/Car-Stereos-C...Store-s/20.htm for a bit of an idea on costs.

I'd suggest that anything you buy will be fine.

If you're sitting in your sound booth listening to your $20,000 system you'd pick up minor differences pretty easily. With road noise, engine noise, general background noise, whatever system you buy under $1000 will sound as good as any other system you can buy under $1000.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
IGALOP
Starter Motor

Looking to replace the tape player/radio in my 2000 AU Wagon. Just want a single AM/FM/CD type..................what's my simplest, cheapest option? Prefer a remove old and plug in new C/O.

2006 BF SR Falcon E-gas Pale Gold 17" Sports wheels, tinted windows, spoilers, etc etc, I40000 k's

1967 Mustang 289 Coupe, White 289 V8, auto, AM/FM/CD player, chromed style steel sports wheels, etc

2003 Hyundai Elantra Sport Hatchback Blue Twin cam 16V 2 litre efi
IGALOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGALOP
Looking to replace the tape player/radio in my 2000 AU Wagon. Just want a single AM/FM/CD type..................what's my simplest, cheapest option? Prefer a remove old and plug in new C/O.
I think you can get somthing called a junction cable that plugs into the exsiting wiring plug and plugs straight into the head unit. Not 100% im sure someone here will know...

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 17-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #24
XR_6falcon

what do people think about JVC headunits? This one seems to have all the features i want...

http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-KD-R626-C...r-p/kdr626.htm

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 17-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
robbyj
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGALOP
Go to wow (or similar store), ask for the cheapest headunit they have, ask the best price they can do. Grab a wiring harness for the AU.

Then its almost simply out with the old, plug in the new. You will have to hook the existing wiring harness, into the new headunit one. And change the wires that are needed. (it should come with an instruction booklet on which wire is which)

For a simple head unit like that, $60 - $80.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
what do people think about JVC headunits? This one seems to have all the features i want...

I bought a JVC about 4 years ago (was discounted to around $700 at the time) and was disappointed that it didn't have a front usb port (mine has a tail and usb connector).
I use usb mainly and I reckon that the 'tailed' usb is more practical. I've got mine in the glovebox where it's out of the way.
Other than that, that unit you're looking at looks fine. Again, it's in the price range where any of those available will do a good job.

Keep an eye on Supercheap. Quite often they'll sell out slow moving or superceded stock at very good discounts.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #27
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:

JVC are pretty good. i've found Alpine are the clearest tho. higher and clearer output. better sound. etc

but you pay for it

Old 18-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #28
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
JVC are pretty good. i've found Alpine are the clearest tho. higher and clearer output. better sound. etc
Probably more to do with speakers.

I've got Type X splits and I doubt head units within the same price range would make much difference to the sound.
Old 18-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #29
XR_6falcon

I brought some JL audio 5x7's $160 a pair and a sony head unit for $195.

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 18-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

If your not that fussy an wanna do it on the cheaper side and keep a mostly factory look, just upgrade the speaker setup to the Premium sound setup and throw in a better headunit..

This is what I have done for mine.. Cost me about $100 all up in buying parts.
Mine had the normal 4 speaker setup, I bought the factory amp, sub, rear parcel shelf top and front tweeters second hand via a Ford Forums member and hooked that into an older Pioneer MP3 headunit I have.. For me that setup does the job good enough.. Its not the best it could be, not even close, but then I aint throwing wadds of cash at it either.

The beauty of this way is it sounds reasonable now for minimal outlay.
You can spend thousands goin nutts buyin all the fancy stuff available. The next day its old news and supersceeded..

The power wires etc are all there for the amp, as is the mount location and holes for all the extras. All you need is a set of BA/BF front A pillar covers for the tweeters and your all good to go..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post