Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Please clarify - budget driveline improvements on au I6

During my research into boosting my AU I have come across a few interesting bits and pieces. Some will be rumours, others true. Kinda need help separating the wheat from the chaff.

Gearbox:

S5 solenoid: Apparently adjustable in the AU's. Was definately not in my EFII. How is it adjusted and does it have the same effect as intercepting the electronic signal to the S5 solenoid (which I have done in the EFII)?

S3 & S4 solenoids: Listed as shift improvement solenoids (or words to that effect). Rumour has it that disconnecting and emulating these (with resistors) can extend transmission life and reduce slip under the harsh boosted conditions I desire. Can anyone tell me if and why??

Engine:

Conrods:

Rumour has it that the AU and BA rods share the same length and bearing/gudgeon pin sizes, meaning that I can use BA rods in my AU engine.

Confusingly there are 3 different types of rods. Standard rods, turbo rods, and LPG/Typhoon rods. The grouping is strange, but ford press releases did state that the LPG motor has beefed up rods, and FPV releases stated that the 270kw typhoon motors had manlier conrods than the standard XR6t items. The stock, typhoon, and LPG rods appear to be all of similar pricing too...

Pistons:

Apparently AU-BA pistons are interchangeable. I'm having issues believing this, but if true it opens up a whole new avenue of lowering compression for boost. XR6t pistons here I come...

Incedentally, who makes low compression pistons to suit the AU?

Valvetrain:

AU and E-series cams are interchangeable, but only if the rockers and lifters are changed too. How true is this? I find more E-Series cam profiles are available, but there must be a reason ford went to the trouble of changing the system.

Other stuff:

XR6t injectors: Same as standard BA, but run with higher fuel pressure?

Manifold Pressure and Temp sensors: Voltage outputting MAP sensor for ALL AU's? BA sensor direct swap, but 2-Bar scale as opposed to 1-bar?

"Boost Cut": E-Series is 10psi, beyond doubt. Does the AU have one, or does the computer just play dumb and inject enough fuel for WOT throttle without boost?

Also, how hard can these AU engines be revved? They are a lot smoother than the E-series, and have longer rods and lighter pistons, but have the same marked redline. Is the redline there because things will explode above that, or just because higher revs would mean using a wilder cam less suited to the low-rpm range most cars get used in?

Can anyone confirm or deny the above rumours? Every single one of these affects the choices I take along my path to boosted glory.

Thanks
Ben

Old 25-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Please clarify - budget driveline improvements on au I6

I'll answer some of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLSTIC
Gearbox:

S5 solenoid: Apparently adjustable in the AU's. Was definately not in my EFII. How is it adjusted and does it have the same effect as intercepting the electronic signal to the S5 solenoid (which I have done in the EFII)?

S3 & S4 solenoids: Listed as shift improvement solenoids (or words to that effect). Rumour has it that disconnecting and emulating these (with resistors) can extend transmission life and reduce slip under the harsh boosted conditions I desire. Can anyone tell me if and why??
Solenoid S5 is a proportional or variable pressure solenoid that provides the signal pressure to the clutch and band regulator valves thereby controlling shift pressures. .
During a gearshift the PCM. applies a progressively increasing or decreasing (ramped) current to the solenoid. Current applied will vary between a minimum of 0.2 amps and a maximum of 1.275 amps.
Increasing current decreases output (S5) pressure.
Decreasing current increases output (S5) pressure.
Line 500 pressure, 480 kPa, is the reference pressure for the VPS.
S5 output pressure has a maximum value of approximately 450 kPa.

S3 – switches the clutch regulator valve off or on
S1 & S4 – switches the band regulator valve off or on - I'd be struggling to see how either of these could have the impact suggested above although S4 might be able to dampen the valve opening.

Quote:
Engine:

Conrods:
Rumour has it that the AU and BA rods share the same length and bearing/gudgeon pin sizes, meaning that I can use BA rods in my AU engine.

Confusingly there are 3 different types of rods. Standard rods, turbo rods, and LPG/Typhoon rods. The grouping is strange, but ford press releases did state that the LPG motor has beefed up rods, and FPV releases stated that the 270kw typhoon motors had manlier conrods than the standard XR6t items. The stock, typhoon, and LPG rods appear to be all of similar pricing too...
Rods do share the same dimensions between AU and BA. The LPG and Typhoon rods are allegedly stronger to cope with higher combustion chamber loads. If I had to guess I'd think the LPG ones might be the beefier of the two.

Quote:
Pistons:

Apparently AU-BA pistons are interchangeable. I'm having issues believing this, but if true it opens up a whole new avenue of lowering compression for boost. XR6t pistons here I come...
As far as I can tell, they are. The Tech Portal has the dimensions of all engine components for both models so you can compare them but a quick read of the critical measurements shows them to be nearly identical.

Quote:
Valvetrain:

AU and E-series cams are interchangeable, but only if the rockers and lifters are changed too. How true is this? I find more E-Series cam profiles are available, but there must be a reason ford went to the trouble of changing the system.
Possibly true for non VCT engines but it would require a bit more research.

Quote:
They list as different part numbers so probably not.

Quote:
Manifold Pressure and Temp sensors: Voltage outputting MAP sensor for ALL AU's? BA sensor direct swap, but 2-Bar scale as opposed to 1-bar?
AU I6's have a T-MAP sensor (refer tech portal for more info on their operation) that are resistance/voltage type output. The AU MAP side has a range of 15-105 kPa which is the same as the BA one except the T-MAP sensor for the turbo which has a range of 10-200 kPa.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Gearbox:

Solenoid S5 is a proportional or variable pressure solenoid that provides the signal pressure to the
clutch and band regulator valves thereby controlling shift pressures.
A variable pressure solenoid produces an oil pressure inversely proportional to the current applied.
During a gearshift the PCM applies a progressively increasing or decreasing (ramped) current to the
solenoid. Current applied will vary between a minimum of 0.2 amps and a maximum of 1.275 amps.

Increasing current decreases output (S5) pressure. Decreasing current increases output (S5) pressure.
Line 500 pressure, 480 kPa, is the reference pressure for the VPS.
S5 output pressure has a maximum value of approximately 450 kPa.

When the VPS is on standby (i.e. no gearshift is taking place), the VPS current is set at 0.2 amps giving maximum output pressure.
This current may be lower when the lockup clutch is applied in high performance vehicles.

Quote:
Engine:
Conrods:
Rumor has it that the AU and BA rods share the same length and bearing/gudgeon pin sizes, meaning that I can use BA rods in my AU engine.
AU Con-rods are the same as BA standards and you need to lose all 6 to prevent imbalance
Quote:
Pistons:
Ford lists different pistons and rings.
Quote:
Other stuff:
ALL BA 6cyl injectors are the same and yes the Regulator is different.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
As far as I can tell, they are. The Tech Portal has the dimensions of all engine components for both models so you can compare them but a quick read of the critical measurements shows them to be nearly identical.
The valve reliefs would be different, 2v VS 4v.