Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default other options to gt40p heads?

What other options for a 5.0 windsor?
Why are the gt40p heads so popular?

cheers

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: other options to gt40p heads?

I am running VIC JNR's on my AU, although they are overkill for what most are after.. AFR's are a good choice.. Also check out the trickflow gear (thier top end kits are great bang for buck..)
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

gt40 are a good cheap mod over e7 but it all depends how much power you want. But if you start porting them (gt 40) and new springs and valves and such looking for power don't bother, a decent set of alloys would only cost a little more and absolutly crap all over them.

Elderbrocks, trickflow, dart and afr's are all good there's also rhs which i know very little about. I've got afr myself and they are a great head and great value for money.
Have a look at elderbrock performers, afr 165 and trickflow 175 or as cam mentioned their top end kits.

Cam, i was originally going to go vic jr and i don't remember why i changed to afr, but neither are real dear which is great for anyone with a tough windsor.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends on your budget really there are a range of alloy heads available but they aren't cheap here is an example http://www.a1hiperformance.com.au/do...hp?prod_id=128
speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
Edelbrock, AFR, World, Patriot, Trickflow etc - many more available. Different port sizes, valves etc - heaps of options.

Quote:

cheers
Among AU owners theyre not because we all have them anyway, they are a fair upgrade from E7's found in EB-EL Windsors though hence why they are usually pretty easy to on-sell if you put alloys on yours. Most guys, myself included, who have done cam/head swaps have been able to sell the standard AU cams and GT40Ps as a pack for good prices, I got $800 for mine back in 07.
Old 22-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
depends on your budget really there are a range of alloy heads available but they aren't cheap here is an example http://www.a1hiperformance.com.au/do...hp?prod_id=128
speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go
Depends where you buy them, you can get them landed here for nearly half that
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: other options to gt40p heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
Depends where you buy them, you can get them landed here for nearly half that
Listen to this man, for he is wise.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
my671fordv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys

cheers
i would go for the Australian chi 185cc heads . Its the only ford head manufacturer that competed with the chev heads in the engine masters challenge . Check them out at
http://www.chiheads.com.au/3v_185cc.php
if you send them an engine build request theywill help you pick the best head for your application
my671fordv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by my671fordv8
i would go for the Australian chi 185cc heads . Its the only ford head manufacturer that competed with the chev heads in the engine masters challenge . Check them out at
http://www.chiheads.com.au/3v_185cc.php
if you send them an engine build request theywill help you pick the best head for your application
Thats all good mate but this is a windsor in an au likely, the stuffing around and money to set up custom headers, crap carb manifold instead of long runner, the cost of the most basic chi heads complete are dearer than the biggest afr. Hell even chi recommended i go with afr. Chi 225 with big springs, 10deg locks $5000, afr the same and ots in aus $2750 to my door. I just don't see the point wasting money when the windsor gear is just as good these days. Thats why i didn't bother building a boss.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im thinking of going with this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K514-360350B/
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
looks good

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good value in that kit. Watch Summit though for freight costs and I think they will only send by courier/air mail. May be cheaper options if you source it somewhere else. Check with the manufacturer on where else you can buy it

I saved a fortune getting my heads sent by surface mail because I wasn't in a hurry and could wait the 4 or 5 weeks.

Be aware you will have to pay import duty and GST because the invoice value is > $1000. Check Customs website
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
T3man
Banned

or get the heads sent separately a week apart. You have to weigh up the extra freight cost against the import duties and GST for items over $1000.

PS have a lookee here ... http://www.adperformance.com/index.p...roducts_id=430
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was liking the summit kit as all together only need lifters which will get when order the kit, am not in a hurry still got to have approvel from the boss (about half way there,god my lips are sore LOL). didnt think about duty thanks for that will look into having sent in two bits. will this kit be ok on a std S1 bottom end, should have a bit more poke.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I am running VIC JNR's on my AU, although they are overkill for what most are after.. AFR's are a good choice.. Also check out the trickflow gear (thier top end kits are great bang for buck..)
I agree with this man, Vic Jnr's are awesome sauce.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victor Jnrs are too big IMO for a 5.0L, look at something in the 160-180cc inlet runner. Many brands already mentioned all are good just watch out for traps from the US like freight costs & import duties... Also factor in for things like rockers, hardened pushrods, valve covers etc which may vary depending on the heads you choose. Also be aware if you get emmissions heads you'll need the blanking plugs for the heads. Some supply thus some do not.

I'm a fan of AFR & Trickflow, but Edelbrock, RHS, DART all make suitable heads.
Unless your bottom end is in poor condition it will handle up to 350rwhp without issues, possibly even more if you keep the revs below 6000 & have a good tune.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post