Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 GPS Aerial position?

Howdy Folks, I have an AU Series 3 Fairmont Ghia, the navigation system that it has was probably a factory install (i think) the monitor is where the ash tray would normally be and the DVD unit is under the passenger seat.
What i am trying to figure out is where they have stashed the aerial, from what i can work out it is a smallish box probably a couple of inches square, i can find the wire that plugs into the back of the DVD player and the wire goes under the carpet and without ripping out the carpets i have no idea where it is hidden, i can't see it in the boot anywhere or under the bonnet, maybe it is under one of the guards maybe behind the plastic shields?
It's got me beat.
Any suggestions as to where it might be? i am hoping someone here has the same setup and can enlighten me.
Cheers
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU3 GPS Aerial position?

For the dealer-fitted monochrome Satellite Navigation system (ash-tray mounted LCD), the GPS antenna is positioned under the removable plastic trim on top of the dashboard (closest to the windscreen, the trim that runs the width of the dashboard). It's on the passengers side, is double-sided taped into position and the wire runs down the passenger side kick panel and under the carpet to the DVD unit under the seat, as you said.

For extra info, the factory-fitted colour Satellite Navigation system (integrated into the dashboard above the Premium Sound head unit), the GPS antenna is positioned on the top surface of the rear parcel-shelf on the drivers side (under the parcel shelf 'carpet') and is also double-sided taped into position. The GPS antenna cable running to the DVD unit mounted under the parcel shelf on the drivers side (in the boot).

The GPS antenna is a black plastic thing about 5cm X 5cm with a black cable attached to it.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, Thank you so much mate, no wonder i couldn't find it.
Have a great day.
Cheers
Ed
Old 26-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you have a really low KM car, but just be really careful removing that plastic trim off the dashboard... I've removed three AU dashboards and managed to break at least one of the mounting clips on every one of those plastic cover trims I've removed. I suppose 15 years in the sun on the dashboard makes the plastic very brittle.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you again mate, i just might be better not looking at it for now, yes it is a low K's car, just over 114,000 so am really trying to keep it looking beautiful, really surprising what great condition it is for a 16 year old car, i have only owned her for a couple of months after selling my previous AU ghia 2 years ago and missing it terribly. so this old gal is a definite keeper.
Cheers
Ed
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea i had a look at the trim piece you mentioned and it is in perfect condition at the moment so i think i will leave it alone, at least my curiosity has been sated.
Cheers
Ed