Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #31
fofo
Banned

Default Re: Jeep Gladiator Ute Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Any idea what safety rating a BA would have if tested today?
I go from 100-200 in 7 seconds, who cares about safety.
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Would be the absolute ducks guts over here!
Would kill for one, or even the similar, and shorter wheelbase Wrangler.
Pity no hemi in em (yet)
Pretty sure I heard the Jeep chief engineer say the hemi fits like a glove. The problem is it is such a tight fit that cooling it with next to no air space around the engine, and no space for crush for crash safety is going to be impossible to work around. So sounds like it's been ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Any idea what safety rating a BA would have if tested today?
Comparing a near 20 year old car to a brand new one is rather silly. Launching a car with 1 star safety these days is unbelieveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofo
FN mustang has 10 speeds . Its marketing jargon for dummies who think more is better.
Have you driven one though. The 10 speed is a masterpiece in the Mustang.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #33
fofo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Pretty sure I heard the Jeep chief engineer say the hemi fits like a glove. The problem is it is such a tight fit that cooling it with next to no air space around the engine, and no space for crush for crash safety is going to be impossible to work around. So sounds like it's been ruled out.

Comparing a near 20 year old car to a brand new one is rather silly. Launching a car with 1 star safety these days is unbelieveable.

Have you driven one though. The 10 speed is a masterpiece in the Mustang.
You quoted 3 people in this post. Are you short on time

What 20 year old car do you speak of

You are repeating what i said. A brand new car with 1 safety star is unbelievable. Do you agree or disagree ??

Last edited by GasoLane; 18-04-2019 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Condensed all posts into the one...three separate posts are not needed.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bevsta007

Thing is a vehicle lie the or say a 70 series cruiser will never fair well with this sort of test.
Could you please translate this sentence into something understandable
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #35
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fofo View Post
I laugh at jeep drivers.
Why?
A very capable vehicle on and off road, never had any mechanical issues, went wherever I needed it to off road and really comfy on road. Each to their own I suppose, or is ignorance bliss?
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Tassie f100;6283996][QUOTE=Bevsta007

Thing is a vehicle like this or say a 70 series cruiser will never fair well with this sort of test.
[/QUOTE]

sorry for typo..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #37
fofo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Why?
A very capable vehicle on and off road, never had any mechanical issues, went wherever I needed it to off road and really comfy on road. Each to their own I suppose, or is ignorance bliss?
I am only talking about wranglers and gladiators, they are the unsafest cars on the road.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:34 PM   #38
fofo
Banned

I would rather be in a Chery than a Wrangler.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #39
fofo
Banned

America. The home of automobiles is pumping out cars with a 1 star rating. Absolutely disgusting.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
You quoted 3 people in this post. Are you short on time

What 20 year old car do you speak of

You are repeating what i said. A brand new car with 1 safety star is unbelievable. Do you agree or disagree ??
Are you serious. You can multi quote so you don't have to create 3 seperate posts

And I was referring to the BA as being nearly 20 years old. And I agreed with you, but was replying to the other posted I quoted. If I was replying to you I would have quoted you. Just relax a bit mate.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #41
fofo
Banned

Quote:
Are you serious. You can multi quote so you don't have to create 3 seperate posts

And I was referring to the BA as being nearly 20 years old. And I agreed with you, but was replying to the other posted I quoted. If I was replying to you I would have quoted you. Just relax a bit mate.
My BA was first registered in 2006. Must be the only one that was. So add 20 years to that and we get 2026. It wont be 20 years old until 2026.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #42
fofo
Banned

So how old does that make it.
Old 18-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #43
fofo
Banned

Its only 14 years old. I thought it would be a classic sooner
Old 18-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #44
fofo
Banned

I nearly bought a 300c SRT that and the GT had the same klms and was the same price. I think i made the right choice. 300c is just a yank tank. Although it has a N/A 6.1 ltr engine weighs 2 ton and reaches 100 in 5 seconds. It sounds like a good buy but is made by the same people who make Jeeps. And parts are hard to get hold of.
Old 18-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #45
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

NEW RULE FOR fofo...

Anymore than one post in a row at a time from now on and your post(s) will be deleted.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #46
fofo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
NEW RULE FOR fofo...

Anymore than one post in a row at a time from now on and your post(s) will be deleted.
So what does that mean do i have 2 wait for a response before posting again

YEP... SURE DOES
Old 18-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #47
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I go from 100-200 in 7 seconds, who cares about safety.
Of course. It’s school holidays.

Right after you get from 100-200 in 7 seconds, do you wake up in a sticky puddle?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #48
.:4:.
Kicking back

Back on track (hopefully) ive seen reviews of the gladiator, and to me it looks like more of a 'lifestyle' thing as in throw the mountain bikes in the back then off road it. They say motor bikes will fit, im assuming more aimed towards dirt bikes, then again off road it, but i noticed a lack of tie down points. The ve commodore had the slidy mounts on the floor of the tray. My pov pack ranger has the hooks on the outside of the tub (useless for me as i have a canopy). And also taking the roof off on the hard top you have to commit as the rear section will probably have to stay at home. Interior wise and all the rest it looks ok. Build quality, im not buying one so dont care. To me it looks like 90% something you buy for the image.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #49
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Back on track (hopefully) ive seen reviews of the gladiator, and to me it looks like more of a 'lifestyle' thing as in throw the mountain bikes in the back then off road it. They say motor bikes will fit, im assuming more aimed towards dirt bikes, then again off road it, but i noticed a lack of tie down points. The ve commodore had the slidy mounts on the floor of the tray. My pov pack ranger has the hooks on the outside of the tub (useless for me as i have a canopy). And also taking the roof off on the hard top you have to commit as the rear section will probably have to stay at home. Interior wise and all the rest it looks ok. Build quality, im not buying one so dont care. To me it looks like 90% something you buy for the image.
90% for the image? All models that have enthusiast following have the poseur hang ons. Porsche 911 or LR defender or current wrangler are prime examples.
But this is no worse than the current crop of double cab utes as far as buying for the image goes. Probably less, because while this has the same towing and payload specs, it also has a decent Diesel engine and can actually perform off road in stock form.
The difference being, the top of the range double cab utes feature tacky names and graphics that would look right in a 1990s video game, and an unjustifiable eye watering price tag, while the top of the range Gladiator comes with 33s, front and rear lockers, sway bar dis connects, large diffs with shorter gearing and transfer case low range twice the reduction of conventional 4wds. The best spec and most capable 4wd you’ll be able to buy.

A couple of pics I’ve seen of the deck may have tie down ey s in the front lower corners. I’d be disappointed with anything less. The AU-FG sliders are good for bugger all, pretty much impossible to transport a road bike without having it on the side stand.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2019, 11:10 PM   #50
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’d load the family into the Ranger Raptor any day over the Gladiator for another trip around Oz. I think the Gladiator is a fantastic off roader for a certain buyer and I’ve happily watched many reviews on it. The safety rating won’t come into it for many. When the Gladiator is in its off-road element the adventure would be priceless, the fun factor would be 10/10. Plenty of choice in the off-road scene which is great to see and will only get better.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #51
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I have heard diesel only and looking to be released Q4 this year in AU.
Old 24-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #52
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I have heard diesel only and looking to be released Q4 this year in AU.
Fair enough, hard to look past that beast of an engine.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #53
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Looks new Wrangler is here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 28-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
You do know the gladiator has a one star safety rating. I would not go near a Jeep.
By today's standards my VSII Caprice would be 0 stars because 1990s classic plastic folds up like a polystyrene cup if you have a half decent stack, meh, I've managed to avoid trees so far
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #55
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Safety rating isn’t everyone’s number one priority when buying a car. Would you not own a Mustang because it is (or was) only launched with 2 stars?
The safety rating is a flawed system, and doesn’t just take into account the safety of the occupants of that particular car in the event of a collision.

But my point actually was that it’s silly to be driving around a 20 year old car with a 1 star rating by today’s standards, and saying “oh I’d never buy that car, it’s only 1 Star”.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has the Gladiator actually been crash tested yet? I thought it was the new Wrangler with 1 star.
I know they are similar vehicles, but you never know. They could drag it up to 2 stars and be like a Mustang.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Safety rating isn’t everyone’s number one priority when buying a car. Would you not own a Mustang because it is (or was) only launched with 2 stars?
The safety rating is a flawed system, and doesn’t just take into account the safety of the occupants of that particular car in the event of a collision.

But my point actually was that it’s silly to be driving around a 20 year old car with a 1 star rating by today’s standards, and saying “oh I’d never buy that car, it’s only 1 Star”.
No it wouldn't bother me. But for some people it's a big factor, rules it out as a company car as well cause most won't buy anything unless it's 5 star. It's just surprising a company would dare to make a car that could only get 1 star cause frontal protection was so bad.

The Mustang is a different case because it was only rear seat and driver assist tech safety that gave it 2 stars (3 now). And the rear seats are practicly useless anyway. The 1 star from the Jeep is because it folded like a tin can. I'd rather crash in a Mustang knowing it's 5 star frontal protection than crash a 1 star frontal protection Jeep.

But yeah the system is rubbish anyway. The whole driver assist needed to get 5 stars no matter how well it goes in frontal crash tests is ridiculous.
Old 29-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #58
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If they want to go that way, ANCAP should have two star ratings. One for passive and one for active safety.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post