Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #61
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Many people may not be aware of the work MB did and just see them as a rebadged Nissan with a fancy badge.
Yep I agree as how could people also not notice all the work that MB put into reconfiguring a 1960's dash board
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
When i was seriously looking at cars last year, i mentioned a number of options to the mechanic that looks after our current wheels. He reckoned the focus is rubbish to maintain compared to say, a mazda 3. Muttered about oil leaks and so on.

Kia and Hyundai are closely related, but keen competitors. There are persistent rumours about a Kia pickup. Now, imagine a ute with the turbo Lambda 3.3 petrol engine and a seven year warranty....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbugger View Post
Last week I test drove a Focus Titanium as we are looking for a replacement for our Territory. The car is a nice car to drive if not a little harder to get in and our of having had a Territory for the past 12 years (I am getting older). The issue I have is past reputation and future resale value. This was made abundantly clear when the mechanic doing a roadworthy on the Territory asked what I was getting as a replacement. When I said possibly a Focus he burst out laughing and said you have to be joking as their transmission is rubbish and constantly breaking. I told him it's a completely different transmission but he was't convinced. This is the issue Ford faces with Focus and there current ads do nothing to show the buying public things are now different.
Are these mechanics from a dealer, and Ford dealer?
I don't know how they could confidently and comfortably write off the new Focus, considering its an all new car, engine and transmission. Poor form IMO.

Whats the story with the Mondeo, abysmal figures there. Yet superior in everyway to the horrid small SUVs that people have transitioned to from conventional sedans/wagons.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ford Fiesta 1
Ford Focus 273
Ford Mondeo 76

How long until the fwd passenger car section is discontinued?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #64
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I don't know how they could confidently and comfortably write off the new Focus, considering its an all new car, engine and transmission. Poor form IMO.
Of course not. New Fords would be getting serviced at a dealer, and my experience is that dealership mechanics are reluctant to bag company product (at least when sober).

The opinion referred to near new cars made since the double clutch disaster. But i take your point. It could be that the only fords that went through that shop were a bit neglected by their owners and showing unusual signs of wear.

He wasnt too keen on the escape either. But based on what ive read theres not a lot wrong with them. So i try not to take what he says as gospel.

Shame the mondeo/fusion never sold well here. Seems a decent enough car. Though its demise, along with a bunch of other sedans, makes me nervous. Its a big call to cease developing product based on trend projection.

Ute tragic.

Last edited by anobserver; 07-05-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Elucidation, spelling etc
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo

Whats the story with the Mondeo, abysmal figures there. Yet superior in everyway to the horrid small SUVs that people have transitioned to from conventional sedans/wagons.
Medium segment is dying. Just claimed another victim, with Hyundai axing the i40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey
How long until the fwd passenger car section is discontinued?
Fiesta ST will be released soon. Mondeo is getting a facelift which will give it another couple of years before it's probably discontinued. Focus is doing ok. They didn't plan to sell heaps of them, but it's doing enough to make it worthwhile selling it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #66
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Medium segment is dying. Just claimed another victim, with Hyundai axing the i40.
Yeah I realise that and I also realise the market is heavily diluted but Mazda 6 sold nearly three times that of the Mondeo and Skoda Octavia twice as many despite mondeo range having a lot of choice body styles, engines etc.
It reminds me of the FG2 Falcon and Territory and it’s sliding sales, suspicion of Ford making no effort to sell and market them, seems like the same story here, or multi brand franchises steering people to other makes and models(?).
Old 07-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #67
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Maybe our market isnt big enough to warrant Ford's marketing dollar anymore.

Ute tragic.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #68
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Who in their right mind would pay a heap of "Mercedes Tax" on a Nissan Navara??
This review agrees,
https://www.caradvice.com.au/647502/...nissan-navara/

The Merc offers better suspension, interior, infotainment (new word!) Safety, and full size pallet space, but also lacks some feature the Nissan has.
cost of ownership is where it really fails, simply not worth the extra coin IMO.

unless you go all out on an X350
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #69
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
This review agrees,
https://www.caradvice.com.au/647502/...nissan-navara/

The Merc offers better suspension, interior, infotainment (new word!) Safety, and full size pallet space, but also lacks some feature the Nissan has.
cost of ownership is where it really fails, simply not worth the extra coin IMO.

unless you go all out on an X350
The ironic thing is Mercedes have the know how and tech across their other models to bring something revolutionary to this over priced archaic segment.

ie. new E Class plug in hybrid with 155kw/350nm 2.0 turbo petrol which returns 2.5l/100km, through to the new 3.0 turbo 6 petrol at 270kw and 500nm.
Be good to see that with perhaps the 2.1 turbo diesel at 150kw and 510nm and their 9 speed auto with low range standard right through to the inline 6 diesels and petrol turbos in a double cab Ute.
Air bags and coils all round to improve ride quality and payload etc.
instead they brought out a half arsed attempt in a field of mediocrity.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #70
Oldbugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Have you considered an SUV in a similar size to the Focus?
A lot easier to get in and out.
Thanks EBSXR6. We have also taken an Escape Titanium AWD over the weekend and it appears that this is the vehicle for us. My wife had a look at a Focus Active and said it didn't appear to be that much higher off the ground but the interior was "poor man" in relation to the Focus/Escape Titanium.

Pass Ride: FG GT White
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 PM   #71
Oldbugger

Quote:

Hi smoo. The mechanic was not associated with Ford. My point was that people in general hear the stories and have friends/relatives with older model Focus's and the current ads that are running just are not selling the fact that this is a new transmission and in no way similar to those with problems. Word of mouth is a powerful advertising tool especially if it is negative.

Pass Ride: FG GT White
Oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #72
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Hi smoo. The mechanic was not associated with Ford. My point was that people in general hear the stories and have friends/relatives with older model Focus's and the current ads that are running just are not selling the fact that this is a new transmission and in no way similar to those with problems. Word of mouth is a powerful advertising tool especially if it is negative.
and that's where we come in, just tell the truth that Powershift was that bad,
Ford was forced to get rid of it and go with a Ford/GM co-developed torque converter automatics..

The skinny version,
1.5 EB 8F15 8-speed auto is Ford's evolution of Ford/GM 6-speed auto co-development (2006-)

2.0 EB 8F35 8-speed auto co-developed with GM 9T50 9-speed auto but with 4th gear eliminated.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #73
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I realise that and I also realise the market is heavily diluted but Mazda 6 sold nearly three times that of the Mondeo and Skoda Octavia twice as many despite mondeo range having a lot of choice body styles, engines etc.
It reminds me of the FG2 Falcon and Territory and it’s sliding sales, suspicion of Ford making no effort to sell and market them, seems like the same story here, or multi brand franchises steering people to other makes and models(?).
I guess it's partly because Mazda 6 has just recently been updated, and the best seller in the class - the Camry - had an all new model about 18 months ago. Mondeo is aging, although it's still a great car, and still (to my eyes at least) very pretty.

It's sad seeing Ford so far adrift like that.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #74
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
and that's where we come in, just tell the truth
While I don't agree that Powershift was that bad, this is exactly right. That is why I will continue to drive and buy Fords, because I believe they make great products, especially those sourced from Europe.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #75
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
and that's where we come in, just tell the truth that Powershift was that bad,
Ford was forced to get rid of it and go with a Ford/GM co-developed torque converter automatics..

The skinny version,
1.5 EB 8F15 8-speed auto is Ford's evolution of Ford/GM 6-speed auto co-development (2006-)

2.0 EB 8F35 8-speed auto co-developed with GM 9T50 9-speed auto but with 4th gear eliminated.
I think its more than just the powershift auto itself... it's fords behaviour to its customers over it that's left the bad taste in peoples mouths... just look at the comments on Ford's Facebook page whenever there is a comment re focus & powershift (I prefer to call it power****)
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #76
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
I think its more than just the powershift auto itself... it's fords behaviour to its customers over it that's left the bad taste in peoples mouths... just look at the comments on Ford's Facebook page whenever there is a comment re focus & powershift (I prefer to call it power****)
Exactly, they tried to be smart with customers and avoided doing the right
thing until forced to do so. As far as I know they have never really admitted
that there was no permanent fix for powershift, they can make it better for
longer but eventually it will cause trouble again...

For all of that, I believe the market is fairly forgiving, just start delivering great
vehicles and treat customers with respect an most of that" bad air" will stay in
the past thanks to moving to a proper 6AT in the Focus back in 2015,
I think Fiesta with 1.5 had powershift too but the 1.0 EB has the 6F15 auto.

We are pretty much stuck with meh products until Ford reconfigures products
coming out of Europe which is pretty much the home room for most global
products - I like the look of new Escape and the Puma is a knock off of CX-3.

The other issue of course is Ford's pricing, great to have premium products but
don't expect sales to be al that good.. dealers must be wondering if they are
ever going to get anything they can sell in decent numbers.....

Ranger was really needed for our market and that's why Ford Aust had so
much say in what they wanted for our market back in 2011 but what they
need to do now is take that knowledge and apply it to Europe's coming
vehicles before they get here.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #77
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Last week I test drove a Focus Titanium as we are looking for a replacement for our Territory. The car is a nice car to drive if not a little harder to get in and our of having had a Territory for the past 12 years (I am getting older). The issue I have is past reputation and future resale value. This was made abundantly clear when the mechanic doing a roadworthy on the Territory asked what I was getting as a replacement. When I said possibly a Focus he burst out laughing and said you have to be joking as their transmission is rubbish and constantly breaking. I told him it's a completely different transmission but he was't convinced. This is the issue Ford faces with Focus and there current ads do nothing to show the buying public things are now different.
I went from an 2013 Focus with it's rubbish transmission to a new STline fully optioned up and it is a ripper of a car. The only criticism is the engine noise when accelerating is a touch loud but once cruising its a dream to drive.
Fantastic car
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #78
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Medium car segment is interesting as some of the players have been been relocated
to other segments due to engine capacity or premium pricing but if were to ignore
those differences and just focus on actual car size the sales peck order would be

1. Toyota Camry...........1274
2. Holden Commodore.....629
3. Mercedes C-Class..371
4. Mazda 6..............205
5. BMW 3 Series.......192
6. Kia Stinger...........160
7. Skoda Octavia......154
8. Audi A4...............129
9. Hyundai Sonata......82
10.Lexus ES...............82
11.Ford Mondeo..........76

There's a quick half life going on with those sales, from 1st to 4th place,
the sales drop quickly from 1274 to 205 just like that, the next four places
sees sales drop from 192 to 129 and then the sub 100 club, Mondeo doesn't
even make it into the top 10.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-05-2019 at 12:00 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #79
4stanger