Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Oh dear!

Apparently the pic has been doing the rounds but I had it brought to my attention only today.

Not far from where I live... the cop is in position between a set of traffic lights and a decent curve in the road. Not sure there has ever been an accident there but it is on a downhill slope so every chance of getting a few desperados doing 5kph over the limit.

How embarrassing.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/cop-reprim...011239799.html

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Oh dear!

About impressive as the Sydney parkies (Willoughby Council) who wore khaki to blend in with the streetscape.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Trevor 57
is now there

I know exactly how to beat those underhanded ploys by Police, wanna know how?

don't ****ing speed - simple really
Old 08-05-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Oh yeah great forthcoming response ‘don’t speed’ and now let me retort, is the aim to either intimidate people or raise revenue or both? Because it certainly isn’t managing road behaviors/safety - if that section of road was so dangerous wouldn’t they place a fixed camera or similar?

Next time you’re doing something perceived as being naughty in your bedroom and the cops park outside taking photos of you - you’ll be fine with that too?
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m sure our man is just stirring.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way worse things happening around that they should be concentrating on than some poor bloke doing 3 ks over because his car picked up speed on a downhill and he was watching the road instead of his speedo.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He should have been reported to police as a suspicious person hiding with a weapon in a public place.
The sight of the Tactical Response Group arresting a traffic cop as a potential terrorist would have been gold.

As for "don't ****ing speed - simple really" , not everyone is a good fairy 100% of the time. It is very easy to innocently exceed the limit, especially if it is a 'roadworks 40kmh' zone, no workers, no equipment, no signs of actual roadwork, and you are left wondering where the end of this supposedly high activity area is.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience it is a pretty easy task to catch most speeding motorists - without resorting to that level of sneakiness.
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Just another troglodyte zealous cop revenue raising.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Because it certainly isn’t managing road behaviors/safety
yes it is, I rarely get overtaken by people 'really' speeding these days, particularly on the Hume Freeway, the only people who slip past are NSW registered cars who think they can get away with 10% over in Victoria
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Way worse things happening around that they should be concentrating on than some poor bloke doing 3 ks over because his car picked up speed on a downhill and he was watching the road instead of his speedo.

there are very few cars with speedo's EXACTLY correct, most are 5% lower than actual speed, so with that in mind those people who get caught 3k's over are generally 8k's over (minimum) by their speedo (in a 100k zone), so don't plead the old 'oh whoa is me" stuff
Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
there are very few cars with speedo's EXACTLY correct, most are 5% lower than actual speed, so with that in mind those people who get caught 3k's over are generally 8k's over (minimum) by their speedo (in a 100k zone), so don't plead the old 'oh whoa is me" stuff
Correct and in Queensland, police with hand held radars usually target people clearly well over the speed limit, as in 8,9,10 kph not just 3 or 4 kph like NSW.

Also, Police make a point of catching people while standing in plain site, so this is not usual for them so probably got told to stop it.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dangerous place to sit and hide if you ask me.
With all the out of control cars hooning past you'd think he'd be a bit more cautious than that. He might be a cop but he's still an idiot, probably thinking the pole will save him if things go bad.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
just because someone is 8 over, or 10 over, or 20 over doesn't automatically make them dangerous. Breaking the law yes, but not necessarily dangerous especially on a divided highway

so it's not about road safety. it's about revenue raising.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
Trevor 57
is now there

I get the revenue raising thing - but how about everyone stop speeding and just send a cheque off to the Government yearly for about $2000, save the drama then

I can't believe people are just so happy to fill the Governments pockets

and for the record my last fine was December 28 1999 in Wodonga, and I travel a lot, I have been to many places all over Australia, both privately and with work
Old 08-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #16
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know out where I am they just went through a few smaller towns changing the speed limits, got rid of the 80 zones and just made them 60, then put the 100 zone further out. Absolute bull crap move, your now literally doing 60 in the middle of nowhere and guess what, never seen a flash for cash out here in my life but all of a sudden there parking up in these new zones busting people. I feel so much safer
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I get the revenue raising thing - but how about everyone stop speeding and just send a cheque off to the Government yearly for about $2000, save the drama then

I can't believe people are just so happy to fill the Governments pockets

and for the record my last fine was December 28 1999 in Wodonga, and I travel a lot, I have been to many places all over Australia, both privately and with work

Quite agree with your comments but then again have you ever heard of the term entrapment.
I would have thought seeing police presence on our roads serves better for road safety than a sneaky cop engaging in fine revenue.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I get the revenue raising thing - but how about everyone stop speeding
Most people speed, whether knowingly or not. A significant proportion of people drift over the speed limit on roads where the posted limit is below the 85th percentile.

If the law is punishing normal behaviour, shouldn't the law be changed? I accept that there is a safety argument here, but 1-10kph over is not inherently unsafe (as a NSW HWP was quoted as saying on a car forum, '95% of the speeding drivers I pull over are not doing anything unsafe'), and depending on the road, even 10-20kph may not be.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I have far greater issue with dangerous driving - particularly in the form of tailgating and unsafe overtaking. I’d prefer to see these behaviours policed, both publicly and covertly.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'm surprised Workcover hasn't nabbed him for not wearing high-vis while in the middle of the road (within a narrow median)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #21
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
I'm surprised Workcover hasn't nabbed him for not wearing high-vis while in the middle of the road (within a narrow median)
why would they? There is no law that says he has to wear one. If you believe there is please find the law

(be careful where you go here, I am a OHS professional who teaches OHS law)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #22
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I have far greater issue with dangerous driving - particularly in the form of tailgating and unsafe overtaking. I’d prefer to see these behaviours policed, both publicly and covertly.
I am with you on this, but after spending 13 years as a volunteer emergency service responder to road accidents, I have very little tolerance for speeders. I am not terrible fussed about tailgaters, but I am an ex-truckie

My 'hate' list (in priority):
1. drink drivers
2. dangerous drivers
3. speeding drivers
Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM   #23
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
(as a NSW HWP was quoted as saying on a car forum, '95% of the speeding drivers I pull over are not doing anything unsafe'), and depending on the road, even 10-20kph may not be.
so he turns a blind eye to speeding around schools at school times? So he turns a blind eye to speeders through accident zones, so he turns a blind eye to speeders in CBD's - I think not!!!!
Old 08-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so he turns a blind eye to speeding around schools at school times?
why not? if he's going to turn a blind eye to the multitude of other offences committed in school zones (I see far worse than going 10kph over on a daily basis, usually by drivers that are near stationary, eg. drivers on phones, drivers failing to give way, drivers obstructing traffic, etc).
Old 08-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #25
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am not terrible fussed about tailgaters
so your position is based on bias rather than logic. good to know.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #26
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I am with you on this, but after spending 13 years as a volunteer emergency service responder to road accidents, I have very little tolerance for speeders. I am not terrible fussed about tailgaters, but I am an ex-truckie

My 'hate' list (in priority):
1. drink drivers
2. dangerous drivers
3. speeding drivers
Well there will be less of your # 1 hate in NSW commencing in a week or so.

All drivers found to be over the 0.05 limit have their license cancelled for 3 mths immediately plus an on the spot fine

How long before the other states follow suit
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
All drivers found to be over the 0.05 limit have their license cancelled for 3 mths immediately plus an on the spot fine
When you look at the graph of crash risk vs BAC, it's a pretty crazy proposal.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Agreed. As a non-drinker of 30 years, one schooner would be enough to make me a dangerous driver but still “legal” on the breatho.

Can’t wait until it’s a VR test that identifies “impaired” drivers without splitting hairs as to why they are so. Drunk, stoned, methed, angry, tired, or just too vague; have a universal assessment and then responsibly get them off the road and into a safe place...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #29
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How long before the other states follow suit?

Come on down to Vic we have had that for a while and add to that mandatory interlock devices plus a change of behaviour course and at .05 your gone the limit is , in reality .049.
The dollars for doing it just doesn't warrant even thinking about taking the risk.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #30
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
so your position is based on bias rather than logic. good to know.
no, how many tailgate smacks involve trucks? You travel in traffic every day, you tell me?

There is a Vict HWP on a another forum I frequent and he reckons the fear is not supported by evidence. I get trucks being close behind scare people, but they don't bother me, I just plan for it in my driving by leaving a bigger gap in front of me. They can see a lot further down the road than I can, they have quicker reactions and better brakes